Peace Heavy mk II

Naziploitation in Visual-kei

The Gallo have a line in one of their songs about 'spitting on the peace the Allies fabricated', and in general they seem to use WWII imagery in quite a lot of their songs, either as metaphors or straight up singing about raping Chinese women etc.

I have no clue as to what the members' actual political views are behind the scenes and to be quite honest I don't even really care. I generally don't invest in musicians' personal lives outside of their work at all, they can do whatever they want for all I care, I don't even know what half the people I listen to look like lmao

8 hours ago, qotka said:

Hide contents

(I'm still traumatized from when I went to see R-shitei and saw this Naomi Osaka cosplay, complete with really bad Japanese/thick "American" accent:)

Oh god did they use that weird accent they use to describe how all the foreigners sound like when they speak Japanese? I hope you are recovering well :(

1. Definitely

2.  I'll admit and say I was a little bit offended by it, especially when I found out that was a thing. Then again, I listen to bands where they burn the bible and have Anti-Christian messages so I got over it. When I show this kind of stuff to my friends it usually gets a wide-eyed stare or a WTF kind of reaction but I won't get angry if they are offended by it.  

3.  Definitely used to be edgier. Same thing with western bands using satanic imagery

4.  Depends on how it's used. If the whole band is screaming Nazi propaganda and promoting actual Nazi beliefs, then that's a no-no. If it's just for show then so be it. 

In short, I really don't care but for bands doing this, I would be careful as this kind of stuff isn't really the best thing to do. As someone who's been wanting to dress up in the VK style for a while now, I would NEVER do this. I will admit, when I saw Die wearing the Nazi uniform I was like "Seriously man? I just found your band and THIS is what I have to see?". I'm just glad that most bands don't do this anymore. Well, except for that Silent Terror band or whatever they're called. 

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

1.) Do you feel that the Japanese culture views this imagery differently from how Occidental cultures do?

The Japanese tend to look at stuff like this as cool, almost no one around these days in Japan knows much about the WWII Era, even to the point they're teaching children stories to pass down. 

2.) Are you personally offended by it?

When you're around long enough, experience enough and open your mind, nothing will offend you. I guess a short answer is no, I find it cool and amusing since I loved the original Mobile Suit Gundam growing up, Zeon and grew up watching a lot of the History channel pre-ancient aliens.

3.) Do you feel it is done to convey the same messages as 1930's and 40's political propaganda? Or is it more of an edgy thing that is much less frowned upon in that culture than it is for Western fans?

Like I said, it's just something that they find cool. 

4.) What's your opinions on using other WWII imagery, be it based on the Nazi party or not?

Not much WWII imagery is as cool or as impactful as Nazi is, the Japanese and Russian outfits and such aren't that intriguing. I highly doubt that the Japanese care about Italy and Mussolini.

Overall I find the Japanese love affair with European military culture amusing and fascinating just as I do when they dabble with European occultism and religiosity.

the only other genre i know of that has an abundance of ambiguous nazism is black metal, and it's funny to think that it shares that in common with squeaky-clean azn femboy pop-rock

1 hour ago, Ruri said:

the only other genre i know of that has an abundance of ambiguous nazism is black metal, and it's funny to think that it shares that in common with squeaky-clean azn femboy pop-rock

It does, but the similarity ends there IMO. These VK prettyboiz uses it for shock value or just because it actually looks good/cool whatever, and probably with a poor understanding of the subject. While the black metal musicians actually lives these lives and wholeheartedly believes in the ideology behind it all, and knows a shitload of the history behind it.

20 minutes ago, Bear said:

It does, but the similarity ends there IMO. These VK prettyboiz uses it for shock value or just because it actually looks good/cool whatever, and probably with a poor understanding of the subject. While the black metal musicians actually lives these lives and wholeheartedly believes in the ideology behind it all, and knows a shitload of the history behind it.

yeah, black metal nazism is some serious shit, and kinda scary to think about. the shock-value nazi imagery in vk and the occasional thing they have against foreigners in the bangya community is nothing in comparison

another difference is that vk is good and most black metal sounds like a stray dog being beaten to death with a tambourine

Edited by Ruri

As a fan of black metal I obviously disagree, and I don't really see how THIS  or THIS  sound more like a stray dog being beaten to death with a tambourine than THIS and THIS. But to each their own. I love both the VK songs I posted btw.

But I do agree with the first part of your post.

On 5/23/2019 at 4:21 PM, Zeus said:

FUCK YOU IN THE DIE

What's he got against a single dice? Seriously..... haha.

Actually saw a really interesting thing a while ago that relates pretty well to this topic. I'm not sure I still have it, but a while ago I was looking through one of those Japanese vkei promo magazines and I think it was R shitei, who had a bit in there and the promo pic they were all standing there doing nazi salutes. Was like "wtf man?" I'm not offended by it, but am just like.... why? Out of ANY pose you could do.... lol. I remember posting it somewhere on a Japanese forum asking people what they thought of it and most Japanese were just like "they probably don't mean any offence by it and maybe weren't even aware of it's meaning and just thought it'd be a cool pose." really? ok.... lol. As I said, not offended, but not sure I really approve either.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:30 PM, Bear said:

As a fan of black metal I obviously disagree, and I don't really see how THIS  or THIS  sound more like a stray dog being beaten to death with a tambourine than THIS and THIS. But to each their own. I love both the VK songs I posted btw.

But I do agree with the first part of your post.

that's why i said *most* lol there's some good black metal but its mostly not for me.  but thats just my opinion & i am nothing more than a dumbass online, dont take too much notice of it

5 hours ago, Kabukichoatmidnight said:

What's he got against a single dice? Seriously..... haha.

Actually saw a really interesting thing a while ago that relates pretty well to this topic. I'm not sure I still have it, but a while ago I was looking through one of those Japanese vkei promo magazines and I think it was R shitei, who had a bit in there and the promo pic they were all standing there doing nazi salutes. Was like "wtf man?" I'm not offended by it, but am just like.... why? Out of ANY pose you could do.... lol. I remember posting it somewhere on a Japanese forum asking people what they thought of it and most Japanese were just like "they probably don't mean any offence by it and maybe weren't even aware of it's meaning and just thought it'd be a cool pose." really? ok.... lol. As I said, not offended, but not sure I really approve either.

R-Shitei have a weird nationalist undercurrent, that's not really too surprising. they probably know the meaning but i don't think it indicates any genuine beliefs, just good ol vk shock value

Edited by Ruri

6 hours ago, secret_no_03 said:

Oh wow, it's gone and apparently he's gone? Maybe I just can't find the account.

this particular post was deleted by instagram, but he's still there

5 hours ago, yomii said:

this particular post was deleted by instagram, but he's still there

Oh okay, I guess I totally screwed up his name on there when I looked then. 😅

Edited by secret_no_03