Sign in to follow this  
lukrecia

DIR EN GREY - DUM SPIRO SPERO

... it also says that Lotus was remastered and Hageshisa re-recorded with their 7 strings.

Weirdly enough Wikipedia says that DS, HT and LOTUS we're all remastered... so if "Hageshisa To" was rerecorded then this means

Either the rerecording made it sound like shit

or

The rerecording sounded like a boss, but when the time came to master/remaster it shit sounded like shit (hurrrr)

PS: However, LOTUS now sounds like it got butchered too imho... the only single that they made that was actualy a due'd rerecording was when they released CLEVER SLEAZOID and then rerecorded it for the TMOAB. The single vers. was horrible LOL

... it also says that Lotus was remastered and Hageshisa re-recorded with their 7 strings.

Weirdly enough Wikipedia says that DS, HT and LOTUS we're all remastered...

implying wikipedia is reliable source of information.

Ontopic: Well, I hoped for awesome album and got it. Won't make full review because it would look almost exactly same like Wonrei review. The only thing I disliked is beggining of hageshisa which sound like shit compared to single, the rest of it is actually better, at least for me while listening on headphones.

Ok guys, now it's my turn :) I'm not so good at writing the reviews, but as a huge Dir En Grey fan, I'll try to do my best. During the writing I'm actually listening to the album. Anyway It's been 3 years since Uroboros, so what Diru will suprise me this time? Let's play it, shall we? :) *plays*

狂骨の鳴り - Fantastic opening track! It starts of with some piano chords, but gets good when the sound that we remember from the sample kicks in. It partly reminds me of some Modern Warfare 2 soundtrack, wish I'd think about the name lol. Further in the background one can hear the Kyo's (?) crazy screams, which let me know how badass the album gonna be :mrgreen: 9/10

The Blossoming Belzebub - A proggy track. It leads with the first guitar riffs, which make me feel like first digging into the vibes of the album. It contains slow Kyo's melodic singins which makes me think what should I expected. When it gets to the end, the song turns out to be sth like a... warm up. 9/10

Different Sense - The drums at the beggining along with Kyo's screams sound just epic. I just was running through my home and insanely headbanging :lol: The chorus part brings some calmer moods especially before the end. And I like the sound of guitars at this end. 10/10

Amon - Again all what I expect from Diru! The most phat thing about this song is the bass :D And like in DS I went crazy during the past paced parts and rested a bit during the slow paced ones. Once again, it's awesome :D 10/10

「欲巣にDREAMBOX」あるいは成熟の理念と冷たい雨 - Whoa, such a long title! But let's get back to the song, the beginning sounds very climatic, kicks ass with it's blend of melody and hard sound. The middle part of the song was the shit!!!! :rawk: And I've got again dizziness after headbanging. And as many ppl said it's one of the songs that stands out. Hell yeah, it DOES!!! 10/10

獣慾 - Holy shit, this greatness seems to never end! Can't think of any disadvantages of the album so I'll propably keep giving high rants :lol: 10/10

滴る朦朧 - It begins with a proggy guitar intro. Kyo's singing variety presents itself great as always! The ending gets slow-paced so I'm probably going to hear a calmer song. 10/10

Lotus - We all already know it from the single. But I have to say this, I like everything about this song! The beginning, the verses and the chorus are all sounding great! And the ending goes quietly, but maybe it's a prepare for the next hard track. 10/10

Diabolos - And this is the Vinushka of the album. The things that the song shares is the structure. Dark vibed beginning of the song and the progressive heavy going guitars are already saying that I'm gonna expect sth awesome, epsecially when the Kyo's growls are heading in. And it gets really fired up! After it returns to the mellow sound, that slowly turns into heavy one again. I think it gonna stuck in my head for a long time. 10/10

- It again has climatic start with phat guitars. Like in Amon the bass guitar is my favourite part, as if Toshiya learned it from Fieldy. It has a bit less heavier sound, but who cares?! It rock the hell out of me :D 10/10

Decayed Crow - The scream and drumming are here the best part. And again I jumped away from the desk and started intense headbanging again! And I needed to take a bit break, because I felt my head spinning :lol: Anyway this is the most outstanding too! 10/10

激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇 - The second long-ass title, lol, but the astonishment dates back to the last year when the single came out. When I gave it a shot I felt that the future album will have amout of madness :D And I know that it has! 10/10

Vanitas - A ballad. It sounds really beautiful, especially when you want to rest after the heaviness. The beginning parts remind me of Zakuro and Kasumi. When the guitars comes in it gives me the all the feeling that I expect from Diru's ballads. Too bad that they did made just one on the album. Anyway it sound very good. 10/10

流転の塔 - And finally I get to the ending track. The beggining part awakes some alternative metal sound to me (and I really like this genre). As for the last song on album it isn't very usual for DeG, but when the chorus comes makes it sound more correct. It also has Vinushka-like sturcture that will probably become a recignition part of Diru. Overall, this one sounds good too. 10/10

There are 2 bonus tracks: 羅刹国 and Amon (symphonic album). The first one is a remake of the 11th song from Macabre, I would be very unusual back in their Visual Kei times. The second one is Dimmu Borgir-like version of Amon. Can't decice whether this or original version is better.

Overall, I think that this album is an absolute masterpiece. I'm gonna say like many people that the metal vibes suprised me a lot. As I said many times before, Dir en Grey has always presented sth good to me. Guys seem to try to found a new metal genre and they're heading on very close. Though I'd want to hear some songs like from Vulgar or WtD. Or Six Ugly, which is my most favourite release that Diru ever made. But as for the album, I'm gonna say: it WAS worth to wait for it. Fenomenal work, Dir en Grey! 10/10

Ok, so I have a few listens in and I am extremely unimpressed. I came in to this album thinking it was going to be some really difficult stuff to listen to, totally wasn't the case for me. Honestly, the fact that is was so slow and down beat made it really easy to digest. I have far more trouble on more complicated albums with far more going on at once. I am going to try and give this album a few more goes, but to me it just feels like a kind of boring experiment. I think I am growing tired of dir en grey.

One thing I am surprised one else has commented on is how fucking bad the drums sound on this album. They lack any real punch, the kick sounds weak as fucking and the toms don't have the power behind them that they should. The Cymbals are the most serious offender, though. I had to, several times, check if the song I was listening to was in fact a high quality rip because the cymbals made me constantly think I was listening to something ripped at 96 kbps. They just sound so harsh and tiny when they should sound rich and full. I don't know why this is, whether it was the record, mixing, or mastering that fucked them up so bad, but damn. You can say it is stylistics if you want, but honestly that would make it worse.

TL;DR: The percussion sounds like shit on this album and often ruins whatever good parts are going on in the album.

On that note, my favorite track is probably the intro...

haha^. the first public review of MOO ended on how Diru failed at the experimentation and how bad the drumming was. I believe I was put off by the drumming as well, then again... I won't be listening to this all that much outside a few tracks.

The only real thought I have of MOO is that as a whole it's forgettable, but I don't mind some of the songs when actually listening, though most of the time it's usually the last minute... oh well.

I actually bought the album (yay me!) and listened to it twice (for fairness' sake) and I've found, except for a few songs, that my opinion of it has actually gotten worse, lol. I still leave my vote at around a 6-7/10, but I must echo the sentiments that it is somewhat forgettable, despite that it has its fun moments. It doesn't last long though. It was worth the $10 at Hot Topic though. I'm just glad I didn't dish out for the Deluxe versions or anything.

@ Ito: Not that it helps your opinion, but I remember Zesshoku explained in one topic that the album was recorded in analog (?) and probably had much to do with the quality issues.

wont give a review here, pretty much everything has been said before, i love the shit out of this album,

but i have to agree on the drumsound issue (and drumming issue perhaps).

recording or mastering in analoge doesn't have much to do with that,

thats just a tag to throw around, saying

"we're so uber-oldschool and have much more natural sound than all you digital tetris playing techno-producers",

when in fact both analoge and digital producing can lead to equally good results.

it still only depends on the guy sitting in front of the equipment.

what happened here is either that the drums were mixed and quantised beyond any recognition and human feel

(happens actually far too often in metal) or maybe even badly replaced/triggered afterwards with drumsamples (nothing against that IF done right), with the result of them sounding like a fuckin robot.

there's one song which begins with drums solo (akatsuki i think?) where it's especially riddiculous, just listen to that snare, brrr, each stroke is exactly the same... no, those are definitely not good sounding drums, even for metaldrums (which seem to by definition have to sound like crap, very few exeptions^^)

TL;DR: love the album, drums sound like a broken sewing machine. Rating still sorta 9/10-ish

Dum Spiro Spero is a huge change from their perfect work of art, Uroboros, but it still is a satisfaction achiever. Every song is good and unique in their own way, the melodies are top notch, Kaoru has composed well, and goddamn, can Kyo scream like a boss. "The Blossoming Beezlebub" may not a "Vinushka" and "Decayed Crow" could've been cut but in the end this a great album, not for Dir en grey but it shows their worst albums are still memorable. Deathcore is a cool edition to their style but I prefer them to keep the "experimental" side in motion. 8/10

Top Songs: Hageshisa, Juuyoko, Dreambox, Ruten no tou

haha^. the first public review of MOO ended on how Diru failed at the experimentation and how bad the drumming was.

The review on ApeShit? No. He said that the album is very experimental and very hard to listen to, and at the same time stating that though the drumming is good, it just adds filler and doesn't really stand out.

But the guy who wrote that review was suspect so idk.

Honestly, Dir en Grey, never been much of a fan of them. DIFFERENT SENSE single changed me otherwise and this album just hit me strong and its amazing! I had my own opinions but after reading what the people that actually reviewed this album said, I re-listened and I love it so much more. Like everyone, VANITAS and Ruten no Tou are absolutely great. I listened to VANITAS the first time during the night, cold breeze, full moon being hidden behind clouds and my god it was the most perfect atmosphere created by this song. Ruten no Tou as well, it just has all these strong points, the way that Kyo adds some screaming in there and it blends in with the song. Top songs for me also were THE BLOSSOMING BEELZEBUB, DIABOLOS, 「欲巣にDREAMBOX」あるいは成熟の理念と冷たい雨, 獣慾, and 滴る朦朧. Unlike other people, AMON didn't do it for me as much but maybe that will change. For now, I give this album a 9/10, it's a pretty damn good album

I was so disappointed at first, but after listening like ten times, i gradually adore it. (don't quite like few songs tho)

Standout tracks :

* Hageshisa to Kono Mune no Naka de Karamitsuita Shakunetsu no Yami

* Different Sense

* Amon [symphonic Version]

* Diabolos

* Vanitas

Overall : 9/10

I really love this album...I'm a bit surprised that I'm in the minority. But whatever, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I personally think this is an example of a perfect album, I love the twists and turns and mood that it sets. I sometimes listen to it 9-10 times a day. The story that's being told is gorgeous, and every song is just the right length. I loved the version of Hageshisa that was a bit different than the single version. I'll admit the Amon Symphonic Version was a bit lame, but I still love it. And the Rasestsukoku remake was great.

But Toshiya needs more time in the limelight.

11/10

c:

狂骨の鳴り - Haunting, atmospheric, really stunning. But.. an intro. So -/10

The Blossoming Beelzebub - I love progressive Metal. I love Avantgarde. So I just have to love this. It's like nothing I've ever heard before. The whole song is just constantly building up and down slowly. No real structure, Nothing. Pure emotion, transformed into music. 10/10

Different Sense - Until Kyo singing, a badass metal song. The refrain vocal line seems predictable, so I didn't really enjoy that bc I had the strong feeling i've heard it somewhat somewhere before. Live it also sucks ass, but as a whole, still pretty decent. 7/10

Amon - I don't know what I actually like about this song. The spontaneousity the way it flows? Toshiya's crunchy slap bass? The song title? But I definitely like it, that's for sure. 8/10.

「欲巣にDREAMBOX」あるいは成熟の理念と冷たい雨 - Oh well, I love it. Sincerely. I'm no expert at describing a unique sounding metal band, and this is the point where I could lose my job over it. The way the song is build from a slow, defensive, but still dangerous sounding atmosphere to the sudden breakout of energy and emotion. Powerchords chugging, drums hammering, Kyo screaming like a death god. And then sudden disappearance, the return of that same slow, defensive pattern. Before my brain sets off, I give it a 10/10.

獣慾 - Heavy, fast, brutal. This song takes much time to discover all the patterns it contains. It's worth having that endurance. Also, that oriental-inspired recurring theme is giving it the special touch. 7/10

滴る朦朧 - It definitely is one of the strangest songs I've heard in a while. All I can think of while listening to it is "confusion". And not in a bad way. The always changing rhythm, the remarkable guitar riffs actually saves it from being a filler. 8/10

Lotus - I've hated the single, and on the album it definitely sounds better. But still it feels unfinished to me. And the vocals in the refrain still sound kinda annoying. But that riff at the beginning is absolute killer. 5/10

Diabolos - It's not really worth being compared to Vinushka, since except for the similar guitar riffs in the middle part, it's pretty much a song on its own. The lyrics are extremely beautiful, was well as the guitar solo after the first refrain. Also the climax is amazing. Only thing I don't like is the middle part which sounds...generous. Every other metal band would have thrown blast beats into that section, instead Shinya drums in the most boring and slow way possible. You don't do dum-dum-chack when there's RAGE going on, son. But for other than that, still a great song to listen to. 9/10

- A cult-fitting song which pretty much sums up what's going on in the whole album.  I once believed to discover that it's an acoustic anagram of Aoi Tsuki, but eventually it might have been just wishful thinking.  Still, it is so crazy I can't describe it. But it's definitely good. 8/10

Decayed Crow - Hm..I like it. It's the most brutal song on the album, with the most distorted guitars and the..lamest drum patterns imaginable to that overall sound. But still live it kicks fucking ass. So 6/10

激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇 - Defeinitely weaker than the single version. It sounds compressed. Other than that, there's nothing really special about it. Generous guitar riffs, growling all over the place, relatively good drum job by Shinya. The only thing that makes that song so special is the sudden melody coming in the refrain. Other than that, nothing to remember. 6/10

Vanitas - Many fans reported to have uncontrolled ejaculations over the greatness of this song, which I can't really understand. It sounds not too bad to me, but that's it. It doesn't beat any other ballad they've done in their whole history, only if you consider The Final to be a ballad. And I skip this song whenever I can. 4/10

流転の塔 - On CD, other than live, I can actually enjoy it. It's utter craziness and that deep cult-like feeling you get when you listen to it. I'm too tired to describe it right now, because it's one of these songs you need to be more of a philosopher than a music expert to describe it. But its progressive touch is too haunting to let go of it. 8/10

羅刹国 [*] - Hardcore. Mosh pit alarm. There's nothing more to say to rasetsukoku, really. Its kickass riffs, slap bass and drums makes you literaly go CRAZY. 8/10

Amon [*][symphonic Version] - Actually I went through many metal bands who decided to put on that symphonic add. Well, all to say to this is, there's hell of things that can go wrong as there's hell of things that can go right with it. And I don't....really...like it in this instance. It sounds like plain amateur work. The same sounds are used over and over again, and (this amy sound evil now) in a typical japanese way to be totally desensibilized about the impact of symphonic music.Calm parts are layered with grinding violins where you don't really need anything. So sorry, this is not really a good alternative to Amon. Even worse. 4/10

Sign in to follow this