Sign in to follow this  
lukrecia

DIR EN GREY - DUM SPIRO SPERO

Discuss.

And please, stay on topic, and keep up a normal discussion. I know that nearly every Dir en Grey topic gets shitloads of drama, but let's try and make this topic an exception, okay? If somebody does not like the album, it's his/her opinion, no need for trolling him/her, and so on. Thanks.

Also, I'm currently downloading the album, I will write down my thoughts after a few listens.

After all I'm not that impressed... most of the new songs end up being quite boring, some of them even feel totally pointless... like the belzebub thingy...

But I'll listen alot more before i come back with a detailed review later on ^^

singles are really the best part of moo, everything else sounds like 45 minutes of painfully pulling the same rough demo out of Kaoru's ass.

that being said, first half is substantially worse than 2nd though, looks like it was rougher to pull out.

won't be surprised if their domestic sales drop 2-3 times with this release, seeing different sense sold like shit.

there were ups, there were downs.

I really wish they would have tried harder with Amon symph version like actually strip the instruments and make kyo into a monk...

only listened once, so will give it a few more chances. but uroboros it is not.

single-wise

new version of lotus is nice, but the chorus is still pretty useless.

hage new version added guitars that sound unnatural in the song.

different sense I still like, if there were any changes.

this time it come up to be harder and a lot diffrent than before

its less mainstream!

but i like this album.

^^

if someone likes hard stuff and darker will like it too

new album rocks and if i would rate it mhm i think i would give this album 8/10

Everything falls into place on this album. There are some parts with too much chaotic screaming, which need some more calmer parts and more clean vocals, but overall, this album kicks ass.

Need to give it a few more listens of course... but it's pretty safe to say already: this is the best thing they've ever done. Hands down.

Contender for album of the year.

Well this is my pre-judging review but

Every song sounds quite messed up imho

They either fail at being artsy or they are trying to combine all styles they have explored in vain...

7/10 for now, I might change my mind after awhile

I feel like with a couple of the songs on this album, the band tried to be more experimental than they are skilled to be. The songs don't connect well and instead sound awkward.

The rest of the songs were pretty much just boring alt metal. There are a few exceptions, songs like Shitataru or DIABOLOS are fairly enjoyable, imo. But for the most part this just sounds like UROBOROS 2, except without the more interesting compositions.

Oh, one thing they did do right on this album is the bass is very nice.

「欲巣にDREAMBOX」あるいは成熟の理念と冷たい雨 is my favorite from the album so far. I also like 滴る朦朧, the rest of the album isn't anything astounding though. But, since I hated moo singles, what should've I expected?

P.S. The less swuhshwahhuuuuuuurrrggghhaaaggghhh sounds Kyo makes, the better.

I REALLY like it, it's on par with uroboros.

I love how they constantly change their sound every album.

Some songs are a bit meh. But the ones that stand out (e.g. VANITAS, THE BLOSSOMING BEELZEBUB, 「欲巣にDREAMBOX」あるいは成熟の理念と冷たい雨, 暁, 流転の塔 etc) are REALLY good and make it highly enjoyable.

For the most part they've seemed to demonize the chorus aspect of their music which results in most of their songs becoming amorphous blobs. Being an amorphous blob is OK when you've got the time to unfurl and expand in many directions (ie. DIABOLOS) but for the short songs it sounds like 4 to 5 minutes of frantically hitting strings in order to magically stumble across something awesome. Also, Hagehage sounded hollow. The mix with Tue Madsen sounded better, even if Totchi was borderline unhearable.

No rating yet. This is going to need more listens to properly judge.

Just about to listen

First thought is HOLY CRAP this album is long o.O - that will put a lot of people off straight away, especially with the complexity of a lot of their arrangements since Uroboros

I am intrigued

I pretty like it until yet... but I think that album needs a lot of time... to hear out everything and to feel it...

I will write later again..

album of the year for me so far

blown away

O.K, after third spin now, i can see this album is very enjoyable.

First few tracks needed to grow on a bit,

but when it's done, the whole journey is all set.

I am surprised at myself that i can really enjoy this album throughly.

Despite how i am being too hard with them and most especially with myself

during my reviews for singles from this album.

But like Des said, everything just falls into place with the album.

And truly, the preview were misleading!

I make personal record too, by not skipping any tracks in this album

Which i did with UROBOROS cos some just a bit too dragging the first time i listen to it.

But not with MOO. Every single tracks just have it's own soul.

Just flowing like that. then again won't compare which better with UROBOROS,

cos each album has its own gold. I just come to enjoyed MOO better, much better.

And boy, does VANITAS sounds really pretty or what?!!

Another fave from MOO including: 流転の塔,「欲巣にDREAMBOX」あるいは成熟の理念と冷たい雨,

DIABOLOS, 獣慾 (sounds quite random at first listen, but actually really good when already into it lol),

流転の塔 and THE BLOSSOMING BEELZEBUB.

My only complain is how the re-recording (?) of Hageshisa to... and Lotus sounds, humm, mono?

I liked the single version better,

just because of the guitar and pretty much all instruments more roaring.

but overall, they need to rename themselves into Dir En Great with this lol.

and new found respect from me to them. :thumbs:

LOTUS became better upon re-recording

Hageshisa definitely became worse, it just sounds like nearly all of the power got sucked out of it

BEELZEBUB surprised me in a good way, I hated the sample but I appriciate the full version

Lotus became better indeed. But I think Hageshisa didn't necessarily become worse IMO. As a standalone track I would say the single version is more powerful. But in the context of the album, I think the new version fits in better.

The re-recording of Rasetsukoku is the only re-rerecording they've done that I actually really like.

Sign in to follow this