Sign in to follow this  
Peace Heavy mk II

[Symphonic Metal] Delain

Delain+April+Rain.png

Delain is a symphonic metal band, formed in Zwolle, Netherlands in 2002. The band consists of Charlotte Wessels (vocals), Ewout Pieters (guitars), Otto Schimmelpenninck van der Oije (bass), Martijn Westerholt (keyboards), and Sander Zoer (drums).

Delain was founded by Martijn Westerholt, former pianist of Within Temptation and brother of Within Temptation co-founder Robert Westerholt. Martijn left Within Temptation in 2001 after contracting Pfeiffer’s disease. He started Delain in 2002. The band released a demo entitled “Amenityâ€

Meh. I wanted to try them for a while but never bothered. Finally heard a song last night on TV and they were kinda like a shitty version of Epica. Not terrible though but there are better bands doing similar things.

I don't really see that many similarities to Epica in a lot of their songs. Some do, particularly in the growls, but I think Delain is pretty much how they describe themselves: heavy pop music. Epica seems like a mishmosh of a lot of metal genres to me, which isn't a bad thing at all by the way, and Simone sings way more operatically. I've seen people repost tweets from the band where Charlotte commented on how "[she doesn't] sing so damn high."

*shrugs* I like both bands, just for different reasons.

I don't think that Delain and Epica are similar. Both vocalists have red hair, but it doesn't means nothing, since they styles are different (even through they call Delain symphonic metal).

Epica is, in some way, more "medieval" and has lots of orchestra in every song. Delain doesn't.

Sign in to follow this