LIDL

800pxobjh954korra1g2010.jpg

Avatar: Legend of Korra (working title) is an upcoming and in-development television miniseries set in the Avatar universe as a sequel to "Avatar: The Last Airbender". The title was trademarked by Nickelodeon in May 2010 and leaked by the media shortly afterward; more information was revealed in late June 2010, just prior to the release of the feature film The Last Airbender.

Nickelodeon is currently staffing up for production, adding that Avatar: The Last Airbender co-creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko are involved and that more information will be forthcoming at a later date, possibly Comic-Con 2010. On July 21, the Associated Press confirmed the series for a 2011 release

STORYLINE

Avatar: Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after Avatar: The Last Airbender. Korra is the next Avatar after Aang, a rebellious girl who is hotheaded, independent and "ready to take on the world". Korra comes from the Southern Water Tribe, and Aang and Katara's son Tenzin is her Airbending teacher.

One of the story's settings is Republic City, a "metropolis powered by steam-type technology", "inhabited by people from all nations". Here Korra must deal with rampant crime and an anti-bender revolt. Mike and Bryan have said that the world of Avatar has "definitely changed, and evolved, and advanced, but we're very conscious of keeping the same feeling. Not totally different, but it's definitely generations later."

Rumors

Note: PLEASE note that the below "confirmations" delivered to you by many Avatar fansites are NOT confirmed as of yet. DO NOT take most of the information here as a fact. Also, DO NOT edit things interpreted as "fact" into this article. Furthermore, do not add in "question is" and speculation debates.

These storyline elements remain unconfirmed.

Aang is featured in the series in the Spirit World, as Roku and past Avatars were to Aang in the Last Airbender.

This seems likely because Aang commented that no-one except a previous Avatar can really teach, or at least offer guidance to, the current Avatar about their duties beyond Bending. This reinforced an earlier statement from Gyatso to Aang that once Aang could enter the Air Temple Sanctuary he would meet someone who would help him become a better Avatar, when he finally entered the Sanctuary it contained only statues of all the previous Avatars.

If Aang's own experiences are any guide Aang would seem the most likely past Avatar to speak to Korra. Aang immediately felt a connection with a statue of Roku, instinctively knowing Roku's name and that Roku was his previous self, and Roku appeared to Aang more regularly then any other of his previous selves.

This tweet shows that there will be a character named Meelo in the series.[14] The tweet also says there will be a character named Wei Bei.

There is also a rumor that there will be flashbacks of the original series. This may be part of what was implied when DiMartino mentioned that there was a "definite link" between the old series and this one.

In The Fortuneteller, Aunt Wu said Katara would have her third great granchild before passing away in her sleep. Since Tenzin is her son, and probably a lot older than Korra, it is possible he married and had other kids, which means more Airbenders.

It must, however, be noted that Aunt Wu's methods are fallible and she has admitted that the future can be altered by the actions of individuals. Hence so whether her prediction is in fact relevant to Aang and Katara's future is unknown.

Any person born into the Air Nomads is given the ability to Airbend. Presumably any children that Aang and Katara have will in fact be Airbenders, and any of their grand children will be Airbenders, so it can be speculated that if Aang was in fact The Last Airbender, any Airbenders will be descendants of Aang and Katara.

Since the show is 70 years into the future, the old gang can possibly still be alive, but just older. It is likely that they will be in the new show, since the creators didn't say they were, but there is a link between the two. We may see them from Tenzin's memory or flashbacks when he was a child, showing an adult version of Aang, Sokka, Katara, and Toph.

If King Bumi and Avatar Kyoshi are reliable examples of Earthbender longevity it is possible that Toph could still be highly active in this time.

Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender may still be the reigning Fire Lord in Avatar: Legend of Korra. Zuko's grandfather lived to be 95, and his great grandfather lived to be 102. Given that he will be exactly 86 in the series, it is highly likely that he is alive and that he married Mai and had children, therefore shaping his son or daughter into becoming the next Fire Lord, though he may not show up, but can be referenced in a flashback.

Flashbacks in the new series may pertain to what the group did after The War, such as Zuko searching for his mother, the rebuilding of the Air Temples, the newly rebuilt Southern Water Tribe, if Kuei was restored to his throne, and Ba Sing Se after the Order of the White Lotus saved it from the Fire Nation.

Flashbacks may also give insight on the development of Republic City, since a metropolis so large had to gain more people in more than 70 years.

Republic City may have been a smaller nation in the original Avatar series, however during the original no mention was made of a nation other then the traditional four.

It is possible the physical city existed during the original series, perhaps with a different name and as part of another nation, and has grown in the 70 years since.

However nothing about the city's history has been confirmed.

This series might be a mini series with only 12 episodes.

As mentioned, the cabbage merchant will not appear but "his legacy will be present in some form."

DEVELOPMENT

Although the creators of the show had planned an ending to the show, the success of Avatar: The Last Airbender caused Nickelodeon to ask for more episodes. The creators then came out with this new idea of the next Avatar, this time a girl named Korra. They decided upon a female Avatar after the large audience of females of the original show and the adoration of headstrong Katara by the female fanbase, and felt it was time to have a big action franchise with a female in the lead instead of the traditional male role.

The show will be darker and more mature than the original show, though the creators are not trying to target a new audience (saying the original was filled with adult themes), with more mature themes, but will also try to balance it out with a similar sense of fun and adventure of the original series. In a recent interview, Mike and Bryan said that the show "won't cover more mature subject material necessarily, just different mature subjects

Anyone waiting for this?

Discuss :)

Kind of waiting for this. First, I need to get over the fact that Shyamalan ruined what could have been an awesome movie :P

omg i almost forgot this topic i made, sorry D:

a little update:

1. It's planned to be 12 episodes (maybe for season 1)

2. also, planned to be air around November 2011

3. there's such thing called "anti bender",

so there'll be war between them and the element bender peoples.

3. there's such thing called "anti bender",

so there'll be war between them and the element bender peoples.

omg! that sounds very interesting! this will be EPIC.

doesn't it :D

there said, there'll be some revolt from them to another party.

rumours said it, the anti bender may have some advance weaponry

to fight back the element bending peoples.

though it is unknown yet the reason for the revolt.

maybe that will be revealed within the storylines per episode?

thinking about it... i don't know, why fight against the one who is supposed to save the world? omg, IT IS really interesting.

some little more news:

- A lot of the show takes place around Republic City

- Inspired by 1920′s and 30′s cities such as Shanghai, Hong Kong and even Manhattan

- People from all nations live here

- In an interview with Dee Bradley Baker, the voice of Momo and Appa on Avatar: The Last Airbender, confirmed that he has returned for a voice of another creature on the upcoming show, Avatar: Legend of Korra, and that his daughters auditioned for a flashback scene to play five-year old Korra, and one of them received the part.

- Dante Basco (Zuko's voice over) has stated that he will return to voice a character. He confirmed via Twitter that his role will have something to do with Zuko, and that one of the new episodes will be entitled "Skeleton in the Closet."

- it is also said, that the storyline will be 75 years into the future,

than 70 years like has been told earlier.

- As mentioned, the Cabbage Merchant will not appear,

but "his legacy will be present in some form." It is not yet known how.

aaand...

Some leaked animation test pictures of Korra:

He is as seen in a recently leaked Korean animation line test.

Note the resemblance of Korra's stances to various forms seen in the four bending arts.

check it out

korracopy.png

first look:

korrafirstlook.jpg

NEW FACTS:

- As the Avatar, she has already mastered Waterbending, Earthbending and Firebending.

More:

After almost eight months of little official information, concept art showing the face of the main character was revealed for the first time on March 6, 2011, along with a change in the title of the show to The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra. However, the premiere for the mini-series would be delayed until 2012. On March 7, 2011, part of the voice cast for the series was revealed, and on the next day, an interview with the creators was published announcing that the series had been extended by 14 episodes, to make a total of 26 episodes for the series. Konietzko stated, "We’re really happy with that number. It allows us to focus much more closely on each episode and get a lot more craft into it."

Animation on the first 12 episodes was underway as of March 2011, with initial development and voice recording for these episodes already completed. In the interview published in March 2011, DiMartino stated, "We’ve written all the episodes. Episodes have shipped to the overseas animations studios and they’re animating away as we speak... All the vocal cast has been picked and recorded and all the scripts have been recorded." The next 14 episodes are currently under development.

The identities of several voice actors and the characters that they were voicing were revealed on March 7, 2011 included Janet Varney as Korra, Kiernan Shipka as Jinora, Daniel Dae Kim as Hiroshi Sato, David Faustino as Mako, P.J. Byrne as Bolin, Lance Henriksen as a Lieutenant, and J.K. Simmons as Tenzin. In addition, Seychelle Gabriel, who played Yue in the film adaptation, was revealed as the voice for a character named Asami.

2011 Comic Con Trailer's Out!

-LcnUtXj6xk

And official Poster:

Click to enlarge

It's be really soon, Gais!

time to watch Nickelodeon ever again!

Has anyone been following Korra recently?

Season 4 just started and Ahhhhhhh Such Feels!

I feel like Korra's been shaping up to be a worthy series next to Last Airbender.

its good but i miss the slick awesome bending/fighting

True, there's a lot less of that.

But, I guess since they have to build a new villain every season from the ground up, it's a bit difficult to keep the action parts of the show in continuous momentum.

I've been enjoying the way they've been tackling political issues through the show though.

One thing that I do wish they did more is talk about the old characters more. They're barely seen or mentioned. I know this is a new series, but with such a strong group of characters from the prior series, it feels wrong and unsatisfactory to dismiss them like that.

well maybe its like with each new avatar, they're whats in. i don't mind because i only think old character should be used as reference to solve a problem. and its legend of korra not ang. but i like how mature it is.

I fairly enjoyed Avatar. It had an epic story, interesting characters and a marvellous fantasy world. Of course you could see at many points that it's a "western" anime .. most obviously from the totally ridiculous love story between an 11 year old and a 14 year old. But all in all it was captivating, although the comic relief was a bit overdone at some points.

Now.. maybe I'm just too old for it, but when Korra started, there was absolutely nothing left of that. This quick modernization of the world has let the fantasy aspect fade away in most bits, the characters are annoying, boring or become useless and arbitrary to the story really quickly, and the setup (Republic City) felt way too restrictive and blunt. I got the feeling that the writers wanted to reach the female audience with this sequel, the love story elements went way overboard and at times it was just unbearable and tiring. I expected a fantasy epos, I got a soap opera. Also to set the story exposition like a crime series didn't really fit well into the "avatar" construct, and it was then where it became clear (most definitely in the 2nd season) which characters would be relevant - and which became mere decoration. Luckily in the 2nd season they tried to bring back the fantasy elements, and in most parts it actually worked. But at this point I don't have enough patience to get on with the 3rd season (which I haven't watched yet).

Give season 3 a shot. It's the best one so far, with season four shaping up to be just as good.

All of the problems from season one and season two have been resolved. My biggest pet peeve with season one is lazy storywriting. I never liked how quickly Korra's problem was resolved in the last five minutes of the season. I was really expecting her to take some time in the second book to learn how to get her bending back, and then Aang "shows up" and fixes all her problems and she's okay.

Season two bored me and i didn't think Unilock was a compelling antagonist until the end.

She goes through a trial similar to the first book in the third book but way worse and she doesn't immediately resolve the issue this time. It takes some time into the fourth book until she understands the core of her issue and works out her own problems. This much needed character development for Korra is where the show feel short in earlier seasons.

Season four is starting out well but it hasn't turned up yet. I'm expecting it to starting next week.

Is it just me or does Korra REALLY need to step up her bending game? I mean I can assume she's rusty because she hasn't fought a lot in 3 years but the fact that

she was completely pummeled by Kuvira and had to be saved by Jinora and Opal in order to not be beheaded on the spot (Kuvira is brutal as fuck lmao must be the eyebrow game) and didn't stand a chance against her while not in the Avatar state makes me worry.

I hope she'll get better in the next few episodes or she's not going to be able to stop Kuvira, at least not by herself, which she should. I'm also kinda tired of Korra constantly being rescued by others.

Totally with Zeus, give it a try!

@Sai

totally agree. Since the beginning she always had to be saved. And it's not always because she's in a perilous situation but rather because she's incapable.

I feel like the story could have been really strong if the avatar team knew they were writing 4 seasons from the get go. I hate that Nick was all "make 1 season, then we"ll see if we want more" so that they had to plan for a safe ending.

It feels like seasons 3 & 4 are a rehash of that same situation of losing your powers and getting them back, but actually struggling to get them back. As a result, it does bring the pace of the series down and it feels like we've seen this before.

I'm just happy another avatar series exists though. If the creators decide to make another series in the future, I really hope they can find a company that will treat the series with the care it deserves.

Verrick (spelling???) is one of my favorite characters.

^ Agreed! The main thing is that at the moment Korra seems to be suffering from PTSD, which is taking away her ability to function at full power. Constantly having to rely on the Avatar state was the way she won her battles, but now that her mental health has declined she can't keep this up, meaning that the next few episodes are probably going to be focused of her recovering in full. I HAD hoped they would've wrapped this up after Korra's training with Toph, but I think they'll keep it around until the final episode. I personally think it'd be rad if they went with a similar ending as ATLA, with Korra taking away Kuvira's bending powers, but I don't think that'll happen :(

My favourites are probably Bolin, Asami, the Beifong sisters Lin and Su Yin and (now that she's back) good old Toph.

NINJA EDIT

Also is it just me or

tumblr_ncvsn1DVN31rdfsmyo1_500.gif

did someone on the production team

tumblr_ndv7k6UODS1qf2huro1_500.gif

watch kill la kill and stanned hard for satsuki

I mean honestly the two are so similar in so many ways I could hardly call it a coincidence lmao.

I haven't seen that show but comparing the 2 gifs they do have a lot of similarities. Like those angry eyes!

That'd be interesting but yeah I have a feeling like it'll pan out differently. I feel like fans might throw a fit if they see the exact same conclusion from ATLA.

I hope they don't have her recovering till the last episode. She never stops recovering.

-Season 1 she gets attacked by Tarlock and must recover/gets her bending taken away and must get it back.
-Season 2 a spirit monster eats her and she loses her memories and must gain them back.
-Season 3/4 she's poisoned and must heal from her wounds.

On a side note, I want to see general Iroh come back! That Basco voice!
And Su Yin is so cool! Kicks butt, can dance, and stays in fashion all the while.