Pandabear

Last Concert You Went To (Now with Pics)

Had a pretty good weekend gig-wise.

Saw NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST at a small shitty venue on Saturday. I wasn't expecting much, but the sound even managed to underwhelm what little standards I had, lol. I was standing at the back around the mixing board, and the whole sound was just a jumbled distorted mass of over-driven drums, some vocals, lots of feedback-y bass and barely any guitars (take the tragic layout of the room plus the mass of ppl converging right before the speakers). I heard that the sound was pretty decent right up front tho, but I wasn't about to dive into a steamy sauna of agitated fangirl flesh. Anyway, the band guys themselves and the audience seemed to enjoy the show a great deal, and we might've gotten an extra encore song compared to some other stops on the tour. It was a pretty ambivalent live all in all: delivered with excitement and professionalism on the part of the band, but semi-butchered by the local technical circumstances.

Here's a random live vid taken from the audience (even this vid has better sound than what I experienced live, lmao).

Spoiler

However, I took it all in a fairly positive mood, cuz I had a hunch the best was still yet to come. On Sunday I ventured into downtown to see Cattle Decapitation, a band who I wanted to see for a few years now, so I was extra pumped. The night opened with a local 'true underground' band Nadir (true in the sense that they've been doing their thing for like 20 years now and still kinda under the radar for most ppl, lol) who delivered a decent mixture of stompin' hardcore and knucklehead death metal elements. Good for a warm-up. The second local opening act was Kill With Hate, who I've prolly seen for the 4th time already, but their expert brand of furious death metal is always appreciated. Some technical stuff here, some good ol' headbanging there, always presented with razor-sharp precision, but not without soul either. Just a bunch of great guys playing br00tal as hell shit, haha. And then Cattle Decapitation came and totally annihilated everyone. Spirits were already hitting the ceiling of the small concert room right at the start of the intro, then the guys ripped into the opening track of the new album and that was that. I was super glad that they only played songs from their last two albums, cuz imo those are the pinnacles of their songwriting and performance so far. Such amazing musicianship and awesome stage presence, the latter mainly attributed to Travis Ryan who's probably one of my fave extreme metal vocalists of all time. The dude looked possessed and into it as hell, growling and screeching his lines with baffling ease. By the encore the whole band looked a bit drained, but they really appreciated all the love and energy they received. I think the overall atmosphere could be best encapsulated by the closing image of the band walking off stage, some guys lifting up the vocalist to their shoulders and gently making him crowdsurf to the exit. Awesome night. :D

Here's a bit of a video memento of the encore track, plus a photo (find me if you can! haha).

Spoiler

13692874_10206716838986313_7548340515925

I saw Nocturnal Bloodlust yesterday

and man i am fucking destroyed but it was so awesome ^^

We might publish a concert review on Radio Diabolos

on the 28th it was Rides In ReVellion's first one man live, which also conicides with their 1 year anniversary.

due to my job, I get to see many great concerts, many of which are Rides In ReVellion due to the strong relationship between Rides In ReVellion and V STAR PROMOTION.

but the live on the 28th was spectacular, the members put so much effort in preparation leading up to the live, and then twice as much during the actual live.

and at the end of the night they announced that they will be playing in America in October!

I can not express just how proud I am of this band.

Picture taken by me.

CohhNNMUEAAIUAH.jpg

Ahh maaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I've seen a few artists and comics. Let's see, I've seen... (and please excuse the length! lol)

Insane Clown Posse (October 2009) - Ahh man. Say what you want about their music or whatever, but their shows are PHENOMENAL. Especially if you're a 14 year old boy. Good times.

Twiztid (September 2013) - My first concert in four years, and someone who I wanted to see for a looooooooong while. Totally worth it, and the openers were pretty sick too, especially Aqualeo.

Tom Green (January 2015) - I've been a huge fan of Mr. Green since my middle school days. His retarded sense of humor was just spot on with what I was into at the time, and still chuckle at his stuff a good deal today. Anywho, hilarious show and awesome guy.

Gilbert Gottfried (September 2015) - Didn't really start digging into his material until I was late in high school, but a total riot. Great show, and I remember meeting him after the show and being shocked that he didn't stay in character and used his real voice. SHOCKER O__O.

Wrestling show in the middle of bumfuck upstate NY with Mick Foley, Jerry Lawler, Matt Hardy & Mickie James (November 2015) - Ahh, pro-wrestling will always have a special place in my heart. From when I was four until about the time I was 14, I watched WWE stuff RELIGIOUSLY. Every week I'd catch Raw with my dad, and DVR and watch the rest of it the next morning before school. So when I saw that some wrestling people were coming by an hour-and-a-half away that I grew up with, I was sold. Met Mick Foley and Jerry Lawler, and both were really cool. Foley seemed distracted and all, while Lawler was super cool and forced my friend to take another pic in case the first one was bad lollz.

Blaze (February 2016) - Blaze is this one rapper guy who's associated with ICP & Twiztid, but has a more street-savvy style... since his character is supposed to be a dead gangsta rapper. Hey, his music is pretty good! Especially his old stuff! Don't judge!! lol. Met him before the show and he was SUPER cool. We were making jokes about stuff and how he's gonna do some crazy wrestling moves on stage. Signed a CD, and was AWESOME. The show was cool too, even though there were some asshats moshing. HONESTLY, WHO THE FUCK MOSHES AT A 100% RAP SHOW WITH NO ROCK INFLUENCE AT ALL?! SHIT MAKES NO SENSE!!! Still a good time though.

mc chris (March 2016) - I used to listen to his stuff pretty heavily in middle school, so I kinda went for nostalgia sake and the fact that Adult Swim & ATHF were huge parts of my life from when I was 8 years old till the time I was about 15. Anywho, I read stories about him being a douche so I was kinda expecting it to be that way. The crowd was amazing though. No moshing, no rough housing, no drunks yelling or anything. Everyone was just vibing and it was a great feel around the place. Met mc chris after the show after about an HOUR WAITING IN FUCKIN LINE, and he was kinda douchy.

Jim Breuer (Last week) - My friend sorta dragged me to this one and I was expecting a mediocre show. He was actually pretty damn funny though and is super nice. Pretty awesome time all around.

And I'm gonna be going to these next:
The Go-Go's (August 6th)
Andrew Dice Clay (August 27th)
Mike Tyson (YEAH, MIKE FUCKIN TYSON) (October 8th)
Twiztid (will always love these guys) (October 20th)
Shonen Knife (finally my first Japanese band live!) (November 6th)

Making up for lost time, I suppose XDD.

Friday and Saturday nights were totally killer (if a bit exhausting), since I finally had the pleasure of attending Inner Awakening Festival (8th installment), an underground black metal fest organized by some spirited individuals from my home town, bringing some interesting Hungarian and foreign bands into the two-night mix. This time, however, the event was held at a venue in Budapest, which was totally fine for me, cuz I only had to travel like 45 mins from my front door, yay. First of all, I'd like to say that everything went professionally, kudos for the amazing precision in keeping the pre-announced schedule. Such punctuality is not something I often encounter at gigs these days at least. xD I tried to see every band, even tho I had to leave about 10-15 mins before the end of the first's night show, cuz I was dead tired and tried to catch my bus. Each night's gigs began at 8 PM sharp and ended well after 2 AM, so...yeah. xDDD Anyway, here's what I saw:

August 12, Friday

- Propast: Serbian black metal band who looked like haggard Santa Clauses in black KKK capes. Despite the kooky visuals, it was pretty boring.

- Belliciste: UK-based project that recruited some local musicians to complete the lineup (this was a theme throughout the fest here and there). Cool atmosphere. Sadly, I don't remember much else, but they were good that's for sure, one of the better bands of the night.

- Dunkelheit: Local band, killer vibes and guitarwork, especially during the more atmospheric mid-tempo parts. One of the best in the Hungarian underground currently imo.

- Niedergang: Another Hungarian act delivering their music with extra ferocity. The actual contents were kinda passable to me tho, not one of my favorites.

- Chaos Invocation: Too bad I was tired as hell by the time this German powerhouse came on (around 1 AM), cuz they slayed so hard! Amazing aggressive style and wild showmanship, A+ all around. They reminded me a bit of old Marduk, only a bit more technical and obscure-feeling. Great closer for the night.

August 13, Saturday

- OS: A completely unknown (and probably young) Hungarian project playing pretty no-nonsense BM. It was okay (better than the first night's opening anyway).

- Lepra: Another one of my favorites from the local scene besides Dunkelheit. Vehement ceremonious metal-attack played with conviction. Not much else to say.

- Devouring Star: Surprisingly few people were interested in these Finns apparently, which is a total shame, cuz their dissonant off-kilter style delivered with killer precision was one of the high points of the night, for me at least. Only three musicians and so much power! The drummer was especially insane, almost jazzy in some places. Top-notch.

- Barshasketh: The main man here is the guy from Belliciste (joined by members of other bands playing at the fest) if I remember correctly. Anyway, just awesome in-your-face stuff with a healthy dose of complexity too. Razor-sharp guitars and drumming too, excellent gig.

- Thy Darkened Shade: I was really looking forward to hearing this technical, melodic and highly mystical/philosophical Greek project, and I wasn't let down! They really owned the stage with their dark monk-like outfits and extra ritual props. They really felt like they completely live this whole thing. A bit awkward at times between songs (lots of silence and fumbling around with instruments), but when they played they really brought the house down. Perfect last act for the event, bought one of their T-shirts too (custom-made for this very show!).

All in all, lots of wholesome fun at Inner Awakening. Hoping to attend next year too!

24do2tj.jpg

Edited by Jigsaw9

Last concert was 27th July, so I don't remember a lot.

It was my last live in JP, after spending most of my time there going to those long-ass 8 hours gigs so I was super exhausted.

Had to take a lot of shit from some annoying fangirls who kept talking about me behind my back 'coz they thought they couldn't understand. Plus, even though I got the best possible tickets of the whole venue, it didn't mean anything because I don't know how to negotiate with the top-dogs to ensure that I can indeed stay in the best spot. 

Pentagon -  Had no idea who they were before this trip, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was my 2nd time seeing them in a week and I would've seen them again if I could.They're a lot of fun and get the most crowd reaction I think. At one point the girls at the very front  bent over the rails and other people were like throwing themselves against them, the guitarrist climbed this tall thing in the venue as if he was scared and stayed there until the end of their setlist. (I'm actually confused if this happened this time or the first time I saw them). Either way, these guys are addictive from their look to their stage presence and the music is a lot of fun to furi to with everybody. 

The raid. - Also my second time seeing these guys in less than a week and to me it was torture because I can't stand them. They don't sound too bad live, they get the crowd going. But the singer's voice isn't powerful and their music is not to my taste. (and the singers face annoys me to death)

Fest Vainqueur - meh. They were mediocre in every way, but at this point i think the venue was having some sound issues and it was painful to stay in the room

BULL ZEICHEN 88 - These guys were the oldest to show up on stage and they didn't fit in with the rest of the line up. Their sound and look wasn't  VK at all. They really stood out like the odd ones. They got a huge response from the crowd but I couldn't enjoy them much because the sound issues were still going and it was painfully loud in the venue. Stuffed my ears with toilet paper.

SuG - It was nice seeing them live again. Takeru announced they'll be playing at Budokan next year :o Felt proud of them. Good setlist.

ダウト- Kouki's voice is sultry and just beautiful live, reika and hikaru have amazing stage presence and I really enjoyed their setlist. Caught Hikaru's first pick :D Also gotta say Hikaru still looks like he's in his 20's whereas Kouki...loks very very different from what we see in PV's and stuff. Not sure if he was having a bad week, all i know is that the lighting wasn't doing him any favours. Either way, they're amazing performers and I'd definitely go see them again. Their fans were the nicest (mostly older women). Also at one point they grabbed Yuji (SuG) and dragged him on stage to sing a song with them (I think it was hanasaku Beauty) but he didn't know most of the lyrics and just hummed and then ran away.

So dealing with crappy bangya, plus sound issues, plus seeing the raid. again and a couple of other mediocre bands and me being exhausted made for an alright experience overall.

Went to day one of the anual Pstereo yesterday. Some great bands, lots of beer and lovely weather.  Didn't know too many bands this evening, though, but I was positively surprised by several acts.

First band I actually saw was RGB Unit, a group I've never heard before. Funky, disco-pop. Liked it, as it worked really well in the sun. 6/10

Next up was All Them Witches, a band I'm unfamiliar with but yet had some expectations to, mainly because of the band name. Started off well, but I got a bit tired of it as the concert went on. Decent, but musically a bit too all over the place for me. 6/10

Next up I had to choose between two unknown acts for me, Ary and Postaal. My gut told me to go see Ary, what the fuck that may be,, and I did not regret that decision. By far the best concert of the evening! Electropop with a phenomenal vocalist in form of charming, 21 year olf female Ary. She sings amazing throughout the concert, looks comfortable in the way she dances around the scene for the entire set and have lots of attitude. Despite only doing music for a couple of years, and probably doing concerts for a far shorter amount of time, she looks and sounds like a girl who's been on stage for 40 years. Exceptional! 9/10

Lars Vaular was next. Hip hop in norwegian. I never got the hype around this guy, but decided to check it out anyway. It was good. I'm only familiar with one of his songs, Gary Speed, but I am not quite sure if I like this song because it's good  or because it's awesome that he's made a song about a football player I've always loved. Anyway, surprisingly well gig with lots of attitude. Ended the whole shit with Gary Speed wich was cool as fuck. 7/10

Black Moon Circle was next up and I felt ready for some psychedelia, but these guys just didn't hit me at all. It wasn't bad, but I think I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I knew the songs they played. Loved the backdrop, though, with a man handling some colour fluids on stage. Was really cool. 6/10

Sigur Ros ended the evening and this was the main reason I was there, but after 20 minutes of massive boredom I decided to just run and catch my bus for free instead of paying 6-700 for a cab later on. I'm sure it got better, but the first 20 minutes was ridiculous. Worst I've ever see live.

Anyway, had a great time and looking forward to day 2 today. :D

Second day of Pstereo yesterday. Another great evening with some good acts, lots of beer and lovely weather.

The band with the ridiculous name Kakkmaddafakka was playing when I arrived so I had a look at them, but I wasn't impressed at all. Not bad, but quite boring. 5/10

The duo in Barren Womb was next up and they gave a solid performance. Nothing breathtaking, but good and fun. 6/10

Next up was legendary Thursten Moore and his The Thurston Moore Group, and he did nothing wrong. Not a single mistake from either him or the three others. Great gig, but way too short. 45 minutes isn't close to being enough for something like this. 8/10

Next up was Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, the main reason why I went this year. Been a fan ever since I downloaded the super limited Volume 1 back in 2010 and I've been wanting to see these guys since forever now. And holy cow, these guys did not disappoint me at all. Great set list (which is quite obvious since they've never done a single poor song), a great performance and good sound. Second best of the festival. 9/10

Veronica Maggio offered some lighthearted pop in the sunshine and took me by surprise. I wasn't quite sure who or what this chick offered, but I had lots of fun. Enjoyed it quite a lot, and it was only towards the end that I realised that I knew one of her songs, Måndagsbarn, which is fantastic. Yeah, good shit! 8/10

Hudson Mohawke was next and gave a superb performance. I wasn't familiar with the guy from before, but this was another great gig. 8/10

Highasakite got the honour of ending day two, and from what I remember they were amazing. I can recall the first 45 minutes clear as the day, but there's a few black holes for the second part of the gig. There's a lot of holes. But from what I remember, 9/10.

Another great Pstereo, and I am actually happy I didn't get a ticket for today, day three. Jesus. I'm destroyed. Just waiting to die.

Just came back from watching Perfume perform here in chicago for their COSMIC EXPLORER USA TOUR '16

Oh man these women are still looking foxy after so many years together. I was so happy to finally see them in person.

They have some great legs lol (waifu obsession kicking in)

They actually interacted with the crowd (told them they like chicago pizza, and to brush their teeth, and promise to be on their best behavior lol).

I don't think I've ever seen such a delightful and cheery performance in my life haha.

I will definitely pay VIP prices to see them again.

I'm in love.

Last concert I went to was Avantasia in april.

Last japanese act I saw was Anna Tsuchiya last november. I think I went full lesbian that day, holy shit that woman...

Last weekend I went to see The Cure on Friday and ASAP Twelvyy and Flatbush Zombies on Saturday. 

The Cure was here for the first time in an odd two decades and they were performing at the only venue in town that's able to host more than a handful of people, the hockey arena ( more on that later ). I quite like Cure: the early output until Pornography is fantastic, I enjoy Disintegration and an assorted ensemble of hits from their catalogue. The newer stuff is admittedly bollocks and I have a natural aversion to seeing old men play music whence it goes against its intrinsic character, let me explain: I think rock music is a young man's game that lives and dies largely with the ability of the musicians to maintain an erection and enjoy an unstable alternative kind of living. Whenever a rock band approaches the arena rock stage of their career, their creative energies are exhausted and they fall out of favor with the zeitgeist. In all fairness I'm of the opinion that playing music with guitars is passe so they wouldn't be able to please me today anyhow; but how this does play into what I'm saying is however, that whatever The Cure was 1981 is not here neither in form nor spirit. So it's an old The Cure bordering on senility after a slew of horrid albums caricaturing their brand, playing for middle aged people with workplace comp tickets at a sports arena ill suited for the occasion. Uh oh, what'll transpire?

The night starts out by the realisation that there'll be a seemingly thorough pat-down security check at the gate, so your boi has to make a slight detour by running into the nearby woods to hide his bottle of vodka. Naturally the junior pig at the gate laxes the second I've disposed my contraband and I get through without even a pat on the back. After that's done I scour through the arena to capture the general vibe of things. The attendance was rather diverse, but middle aged men and women are definitely a sizeable portion of the demographic. It is maybe due to the contribution of their presence that the smoking quarters had the felt like the deck of a Helsinki-Stockholm cruise ship carnival frozen in time, which would have shocked and appalled the narrator had he not been fully prepared for it. I knew that there'd be quite bit of people who got on board with Friday I'm In Love and all that, but I had to wonder what albums they've heard, which is their favorite and what's their relationship with music in general anyway.

A special shoutout to the exceptionally ugly merch that one could have mistaken for a Vietnamese bootleg had it not been for the very western pricetag of a humble 35 euros. The numerous selection of shirts was a cavalcade in kitsch of various stylings and I kid you not that one shirt looked like it could have been on sold on a promotional tour for Slipknot's first album, in 1999 or whatever, like almost two decades ago. 

The pricing trend at the venue was scaled toward to the more affluent customer in other areas as well. The 7.40 euro beer made this is an exceptionally dry evening until I got back to the woods for my bottle. 

Eventually we do get to our seats on the very uppermost compartment at the other end of the arena, which while not optimal for experiencing the concert, does give a breathtaking visual of the audience and scale of the structure. The ill-fit of the seating and the venue becomes strikingly apparent once the show kicks off with Disintegration's opener Plainsong. The sound is pretty rubbish and the visual of the band is largely stickfigures emoting on a distant stage, save for the dimensions of Robert Smith's rotund stomach whenever he turns sideways. The shite hockey arena is obviously not designed for listening to music and the acoustics left much to be desired, and while the sound did progressively get better throughout the gargantuan 35 song setlist that span three hours, I had the feeling that I was watching a film at home rather than being immersed in sound and energy. It was left to one's imagination to let the big songs sound as big as they should. 

The good moments were excellent though, especially with the aforementioned Plainsong making a profound impression on me with its synth that just overwhelmed everything underneath its loom. The live setting brought out the sheer size and scale of the soundscape of the best songs from Disintegration, and I must admit a newfound admiration for the album, although I still feel the poppier numbers keep down from being what it could be. The undisputed highlight however was One Hundred Years from Pornography and Forest from Seventeen Seconds that are fantastic songs from fantastic albums that really encompass everything that was good about this band. The solo on Forest especially crawls and wraps itself around the spine of the song allowing it to retain its murky sound and the mood of impenetrable fog. While perhaps never a subtle band, this kind of unstated dramatic nature of their early output is not present on the newer shit that just goes all out with a vestige of stale gimmickry set to the beat of sordid arena rock drumming and Van Halen shred, or just downright shit as the byproduct of an ill-advised sense of humor. This kind of division is apt in describing the later Cure output, because one half is while yet knees deep in the concept of "Cureness", they betray their true nature by parading around like peacocks in heat, while the other half is goofball hits like Hot, Hot, Hot and Lovecats that are if not the bane of my existence, then certainly in the running for it. Somewhere in between resides the song "Wrong Number" that is so dated in 2016 it has to be heard to be believed in 2016, because any sensible musical troupe would have stopped playing it after the Y2K apocalypse didn't pan out. 

All in all I found it very satisfactory. I'm easy to please and the good stuff was good and the bad shit pretty bad. I've been listening to a lot of Cure since, especially Disintegration which I previously wasn't so fond of, so it's hard to not to count is as a success. As a sidenote I dropped by the after party that did everything I wish they wouldn't have: they played only the hits and when the mixtape ran out, they just appeared to have repeated it. Fucking dadrock. 

Saturday I went sojourning into the urban environs and saw ASAP Twelvyy and Flatbush Zombies. I was too hungover to function until 7pm and I just barely managed to feed myself before transporting my prison of flesh into the venue. This time it was small, compact and comfortable with perfectly acceptable sound system to boot. This time I felt a better fit within the swaths of youths, although it appears that the hip hops shows are definitely attended more by people dedicated to art, and the amount of hipster tourists like myself was only a handful. The beer was once again stupid expense, but I did my best rectifying it by having a couple beer cans as shots before I did my entrance. 

It started with ASAP Twelvyy whom I was only passingly familiar with. My impression was that he was rather generic without anything being outright distasteful yet teetering on the verge of the very unremarkable: and this was pretty much what it was live too. What did make this memorable was his commendable energy, and the vocal contingent of ASAP partisans in the audience which was quite a sight. He was having fun out there and I was as well. It's very unlikely that he'll be setting the world on fire thou'.

When Flatbush Zombies got on stage I was reminded with the stark difference of witnessing something that's current and something that has completely blown its wad on its way to the old folks home to be unceremoniously put down. The energy was incredible and the audience participation is on another level when it's a genuine sentiment of the music grabbing the experiencer's intuition instead of complimentary clapping and old rheumatic bodies attempting to emote by swinging from left to right in the beat of music from two generations ago. Whenever the audience stood still, pints were flung from the opposite ends of the crowd, piercing the numerous clouds of weed smoke on the trajectory. This kind of youthful vigour and immediacy happens only in real appreciation of something that's happening now, without nostalgia's intellectual laziness. Being not that familiar with their songs I was more immersed into the good vibes in buildings, and just by looking at it I managed to shave off the ten years I gained by watching The Cure just 24 hours ago. 

The setlist span their entire discography and I think they were disbanding after this tour? Idk, I hope not, because Flatbush Zombies occupy a place of being distinctly old school in character while not sounding no less contemporary than many of their contemporaries. They actually rap over their beats without being reactionary, their themes are not condescending while neither going into any embarrassingly popular forays into dumb politics or the real hip hop trope. Their style is very unique and personal, but it doesn't remind me of fedoras and white boys. I don't think they're in the trailblazing upper echelon of the music of today, but a definitely a footnote worth looking at despite not being musically progressive. 

The night was capped off the proper way when they exited the venue with a bunch of tiny white girls decked in merch. God bless these guys and anyone who gets to live the musician's life.

A good weekend of doing stuff instead of being on the computer refreshing twitter.

^ Thanks for The Cure review! :) Sounds pretty much like what I expected from this tour. I'm still pondering on going to their gig here in Budapest. On the one hand, I've never seen them live but I've heard they're a great live band, and on the other hand cuz they're playing like 34-35 songs as I can see. xD Anyway, I enjoy almost everything from their discography (tho not too big on memorizing particular songs, lol), so I might as well just go if my schedule permits.

4 hours ago, ghost said:

I went to see Purity Ring last night.

Holy smoookes they were so goood. 

IMG_20161018_074803_zpsasluxjva.jpg

I even got a photo with the opening act HANA. She threw on a killer performance as well. 

20161018_080510_zpswhpbbrao.jpg

oh what they came back i didn't even know. Also that first photo is cool looking did you bring your camera or was that done on your phone?

hope you had fun ;o;

Yeaaah they diid! They were so good! That was actually from my phone. Lucky lighting ; D

So much, woulda been more fun if you were there! We'll have to plan something again next time.

I recently went to see Lil Uzi Vert in concert last night at the Pageant in St.Louis. I wish I had charged my phone before going because it was so energetic, the crowd went wild, Uzi went wild, I managed to get some footage but not too much. He didn't really do any of his more energetic tracks, just the mainstream sing-ish ones.  I was hoping for Super Saiyan but didn't really expect it so when He did the song I lost it, my throat is still sore from hollering the song lyrics in the concert hall. Uzi was 20 mins late but it was cool because when he came out the crowd went nuts, I wish I could've gotten his signature though...;w; 

There's always next time!

Edited by 『YELLOW DIAMOND』

So I just posted about it in the TRA TRA TRA thread, but I saw TRA TRA TRA! lol

They played at KAVKA's shusai tour the other night at Ikebukuro RUIDO K3! :DD

I was really happy cos I think people got interested in them! A few people went to go pick up copies of KAMIKAZE (free demo CD) at the merch table too! <3
I wrote more about Tra in the artist thread so I guess I'll write a bit about the other bands here ^^

They played with ラミエル, Link, BLaive and KAVKA. It was my first time seeing all the bands other than Tra pretty much haha.

ラミエル was kind of "meh" for me. They weren't horrible, but not very memorable? That's all I really have to say about them lol I mostly just remember them all wearing white haha. Their music was pleasant though ^^

Link is pretty hilarious. The vocalist was telling us a story about when he went to a coin laundry and like he saw a couple making out on a bench outside or something out of the corner of his eye. When he looked they were both guys and he was super shocked (it's really rare for couples to have any form of PDA, let alone a gay couple) so he kinda just looked away and went on with his business. And as he was leaving he heard them whisper 見られちゃったね ("he saw us" but like a feeling of "we got caught") LOLOL and the vocalist was like "I hope you remember our band, even if it's just for the fact that I saw a gay couple kissing" LOL <3  "We're not gay, but please remember us as 'that gay band'" hahaha and then during the next song after the MC he like made a move on the guitarist and during the song was like 見られちゃった! lolol their set was really fun and everyone definitely got into it more after his "gay story" LOL

BLaive was fun too! But by the time they were up I was kind of dying. I only had 2 hours of sleep and went to the live right after work haha. Tra played before them so I was kinda out of energy lolol BUT they were fun! There was only one song that was weird to me where the bassist literally put his bass down and just rapped on some parts. It was weird cos he had one of those headset mics so like... what was the point of putting your bass down if you're not holding a mic? idk haha The last song we did this weird "mosh" thing where you put your hands together above your head and kinda just jump around in the middle LOL The vocalist said that if you feel like "Oh no it's my first time so I'm too embarrassed!" then just put your hands together above your head and he'll understand lolol <3 

Last up was KAVKA of course. They were really good!! But I don't remember anything specific about their set tbh lolol When they came out for their encore it was really awkward though lol. like the guitarist and the bassist were talking and were just like... "uh, you guys gonna come out soon? come out... please????" like they didn't know what to say haha and then the shimote guitarist came out and just kind of repeated the next tour dates haha and they were just like uhh where's our vocalist?? The bassist put on the vocalist's feather boa and mimicked him (声ちょうだい) and the kamite guitarist was like "that's only funny to people who know us..." lol and finally the vocalist came out and it was awkward. the kamite guitarist made him go back and had us call out the vocalist's name and he came out again... the exact same casual way? lololol okay so it's weird that I remember the encore MC more than their actual set, but it was a lot of fun lolol sorry. Like I said, I was pretty exhausted at that point.

wow. I wrote a lot more than I thought I would haha

I just got home from NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST's like at Shinsaibashi Live house Soma. That venue is entirely too small for Nokubura, but they still played an absolutely mental set. At one point, I think Hiro said something about seeing some foreigners in the crowd (I wasn't the only one) and then said in English "hey guys, what's up?" His older brother was also there that night and he pointed him out to us a couple times, at one point commenting on how hot it was in the venue (it was disgusting) and asked his brother if he was genki.

My neck is absolutely destroyed from head banging and there were like five circle pits and three walls of death. It as probably the most interaction I've had during a live in Japan. They played Jusou as their last song and kept repeating the part after the chorus, going faster and faster, then slowing it down ridiculously slow. Hiro kept panning the crowd and making sure everyone was head banging. At one point, Cazqui and Masa switched instruments and Cazqui played the bass for a bit.

The whole show was great and you could tell the entire band was loving the smaller venue so they were more personal with the crowd. During the MCs, Cazqui talked quite a bit, though Hiro obviously did most of the talking. Cazqui also threw out probably 100 picks. There were some issues with the sound in the beginning where the guitars were muted pretty badly and Hiro's mic kept cutting in and out, but after a few songs it all worked out. This is a night that I certainly won't ever forget. I ended up getting a towel and a shirt, although the shirt is clearly cut for women, or skinny effeminate dudes, neither of which I am. So I don't know what to do with it ... Oh well. Still a phenomenal night.

Last night I saw 2 synthwave artists, Gost and Perturbator. They were both amazing! So much stage presence.

The crowd was full of energy, I think probably the most fun I've had. They looked like metal fans but the atmosphere felt like a dance party. I felt so comfortable being myself going from headbanging and throwing up fists to dancing and jumping. My neck and back are incredibly stiff now though xD

They stuck around after the show too for photos and signings. Definitely a night I'll remember!

20170107_003238_zpsjhnoioi7.jpg

20170107_015053_zpsuk6rwdoo.jpg

The synthwave, especially the darker and harder bands like Perturbator, Carpenter Brut, Gost and so on are very big among metal fans, and Perturbator have even played on a black metal festival, ending the whole weekend. And artists like Perturbator and Gost also have lots of releases on the metal label Blood Music. James Kent of Perturbator used to play in some black metal bands, Franck Hueso of Carpenter Brut is very much into metal and have toured with Ghost, the Gost guy used to be involved in some metal and hardcore stuff. And if you ask me a lot of these darker, harder bands goes hand in hand with metal.

Would love to catch these bands live myself. Superb stuff!

On 1/8/2017 at 1:21 PM, Bear said:

The synthwave, especially the darker and harder bands like Perturbator, Carpenter Brut, Gost and so on are very big among metal fans, and Perturbator have even played on a black metal festival, ending the whole weekend. And artists like Perturbator and Gost also have lots of releases on the metal label Blood Music. James Kent of Perturbator used to play in some black metal bands, Franck Hueso of Carpenter Brut is very much into metal and have toured with Ghost, the Gost guy used to be involved in some metal and hardcore stuff. And if you ask me a lot of these darker, harder bands goes hand in hand with metal.

Would love to catch these bands live myself. Superb stuff!

Yes, I knew artists like Perturbator were involved in metal acts becoming their current synth-washed reincarnations.  I'm very familiar with Blood Music! I absolutely love that label.

I don't know if you've been keeping up with his social media (you probably have), but the label guy just finishing up his 24xLP Emperor Emperor boxset project. This is guy is freaking passionate.

I definitely agree. Especially this slasherwave style of synthwave is so hardcore and rhythm driven. 

I've been to only a few shows in 2016.

I saw the GazettE at the Wiltern on May 3rd, though I'm extremely bias in saying it was my favorite concert in my life because I waited ten years to see them. I didn't get to meet them, but it was worth travelling to LA for.

Then the next show I went to was Warped Tour, saw coldrain for the second time. Got to meet them after their set, and it was my second time meeting their vocalist and drummer and first time meeting the others. Don't know if I went to see any other bands that day, as the rest of that day was foggy for me and all I wanted to do was sit in the shade. [lol]

Then last month I saw Against the Current. They're alright, more for teenagers. Dunno if I would see them again now that I've seen them twice now.