Pandabear

Last Concert You Went To (Now with Pics)

I saw BACK-ON at Anime North. Took ages to get through security, and they played the one song I actually knew when we were still in line for bag checks outside the building, so yeah...

The audience was into it, and they sounded good, but it felt kinda meh compared to most of the concerts I've seen at AN. I usually stand a bit closer to the stage than I did this year though, so that might have been part of it.

Oh well, it was free and the people in front of me seemed like they were having the time of their life, so I can't really complain.

I was at "Sakifo Musik Festival", it's a well-known 3-days festival in Reunion Island with a lot of artists from Reunion Island, South Africa, France and elsewhere. I saw :

- Nonku Phiri (electro, dance) from South Africa

- Maya Kamaty (nu-maloya) from Reunion Island.

- Lysistrata (garage rock, math-rock, post-rock) from France

- Nakhane (world music) from South Africa

- Pamplemousse (rock) from Reunion Island

- Labelle (electro maloya) from Reunion Island

- Maronaz (elektrik maloya) from Reunion Island

- Oki Dub Ainu Band (folk, dub) from Japan

- Tapkal (folk, maloya) from Reunion Island

- Tribute to Cesaria Evora with a lot of musicians and vocals

Edited by Shaolan974

I went to Trondheim Rocks yesterday, the second day of a mini-festival and saw Sabaton, Killswitch Engage and Iron Maiden. I fucking hate Sabaton and Killswitch Engage for obvious reasons, and I am not exactly a huge Iron Maiden fan either. I mean, I worship their first six albums, but after that there's only the rare track here and there that I enjoy. And I for one have no problem stating that Iron Maiden has not been relevant as a studio band since the mediocre Fear of the Dark, released in 1992. And they are getting old too so I didn't have big expectation or anything like that. I went just so I can say that I've seen Iron Maiden live, and not because I expected a good concert.

Sabaton played first and was as embarrassing as ever. I've seen them before, and they were lousy as hell. This time they were even worse. This is Eurovision metal at its worst with one of the worst vocalists ever. God damn!

Killswitch Engage was next up and is a band my mates wanted to see. I can't fucking stand modern, melodic metalcore since it's fucking trash, and dear god they were bad live. Shitty music performed in a shitty way. Can it get any worse?

Iron Maiden however was shockingly good. Bruce sang amazing for the entire two hours, the entire band showcased an amazing amount of youthful energy, the band played really well and the overall sound was exceptional. They got a shitload of cool backdrops and stuff too. But the most impressive aspect of this brilliant concert was how they managed to put new, positive energy into overplayed tracks like The Tooper, Run to the Hills, Hallowed Be Thy Name, 2 Minutes to Midnight and The Evil That Men Do, as well as bad and boring tracks like Fear of the Dark, Sign of the Cross, The Clansman and For the Greater Good of God and make them sound amazing live.

I am impressed! What a gig from a bunch of oldies. Two thumbs up!

On 6/15/2018 at 1:16 AM, vkboytotransgirl said:

Morrigan in Amstelveen 2017

😮 I'm so jealous! That must have been amazing! Back when Pitty was around ❤️

My last concert was RAZOR, Xaa-Xaa, DADAROMA and Grimoire in Osaka, this May. It was my first visual kei live and I was honestly not disappointed. My expectations were low after so many negative live reports but... wow! RAZOR were spectacular (Ryoga was exceptionally physical and charismatic,  also a great vocalist live which I was not expecting admittedly), Grimoire were good (but  not my cup of tea), DADAROMA were having some really bad luck (techincal issues,  Tomo seemed really mad but they pulled through!) and Xaa-Xaa... were a million times better than I expected them to be, honestly the highlight of the entire night. Every member of the band was musically on point, the singer's vocals were the best of the whole night and the songs were all fantastic. !00% converted.

- Sauvage Sound System (afro-tropical DJs from Reunion Island)

- Tapkal (creole blues rock folk from Reunion Island)

- Grèn Sémé (rock, dub, slam, maloya from Reunion Island)

- Pix'L (reggae, dancehall, hiphop, soul) from Reunion Island

L.E.J (pop) from Paris (France)

I saw Babymetal when they came to Atlanta and was absolutely blown away. Just the chemistry between all the members is pretty impressive. I wish I could've been closer to the stage, but it was still a lot of fun since I don't get to go out to concerts much.

- Grèn Sémé (rock, dub, slam, maloya from Reunion Island) : third time and I love them ❤️ 

- Matmatah (rock from France)

- Maya Kamaty (nu-maloya from Reunion Island)

- Anoushka Shankar (instrumental, Indian music from London)

Edited by Shaolan974

Went to see The Midnight last night and, holy hell, it was an amazing show. I feel like synthwave lives are always the most fun.

My last gig was also a synthwave gig.

Gost kicked it off with one hell of a show, and the audience was absolutely mad despite the fact that he started playing at 8pm. It was like magic from beginning to end with the entire crowd going mad. Dancing, singing, headbanging, jumping and whatnot. It was a beast of a gig with Gost himself being behind the synths, sometimes with a guitar in hand, sometimes with a mic. He was high, he was low, he was in front and he was at the back. Just everywhere, all the time. Brilliant and everything I had hoped for, and even more.

Carpenter Brut was the headliner, and in some unexplainable way they actually topped Gost with a gig that's nothing short of breathtaking. While never as dark or brutal as Gost can be, the mood was much of the same with the entire audience (sold out for the evening!) dancing, singing, headbanging, jumping and whatnot. Insanely good gig.

Also, playing a cover of Maniac and asking the audience to sing along could've easily have been an embarrassing affair, but they made it into something truly special. Amazing!

I hope this opens up for more synthwave gigs in Norway in the coming time, and considering it was sold out a month before the gig I'm pretty sure it will be.

@Bear - GosT is an amazing showman. He's got an immense stage prescence for one guy. I saw him open for Carpenter Brut earlier this year and I wish the crowd was like the one you were in. People got wild for Carpenter Brut, but Gost can throw on one hell of a performance.

Maniac is always a favorite moment for me when CB play live! Good to hear you had a good time. Was it the first time you were able to see either of them?

Yeah, it was. First time either played in Norway as far as I know. Perturbator and The Midnight have both played, but I missed out on both.

But yeah, crowd was insane. Very unusual at a gig on a Thursday which kicked off at 8pm. But the crowd was magnificent.

Edited by Bear

The last concert I went to was to the Kingdom Heart Orchestra (World Tour). It was a blast being able to hear the music from the video game come to life. The orchestra played with fervor and emotion, letting each note in the song sing. The selections were also fantastic. For instance, they played all the major characters' themes and some world themes, too. (I'm sad that Rage Awakened wasn't played for the concert, lol.) Hearing the music mesh with the video game footage in real time was a bonus, too. Yoko Shimomura (the music composer for the series) came out to play the Fantastia alla March for piano, orchestra and chorus on the piano alongside the orchestra. Overall, it was a real treat. (A super extra bonus was being able to meet her and getting her signature. She was super nice!)

(This playlist is missing track number 1 for some reason.)

(The video has all the songs put together in one video.)

- Vincent Corvec (electro, instrumental from Reunion Island)

- Igorrr (metal, electronic, experimental, alternative from France)

- Pluto Crevé (metal from Reunion Island)

- Ava's Approach (alternative metal, instrumental from Reunion Island)

- BONESCAPE (metal from Reunion Island)

- Lo Griyo (jazz, maloya, instrumental from Reunion Island)

- Saodaj' (Nomadic maloya from Reunion Island)

- Lespri Ravann (from Mauritius)

- Dolores (Maloya, electroc, bossa nova from Reunion Island)

- Zanmari Baré (Maloya from Reunion Island)

I just got home after seeing none other than Omar Souleyman live. Who is Omar Souleyman, you wonder? Omar Souleyman is a Syrian musician that started out as a part-time wedding singer, turned into cult hero in the underground club/house scene. Middle-eastern dabke mixed with acid house. What an absolutely mind-blowing performance. The man owns the stage like he's Steven motherfucking Seagal. Walsk about an forth, clapping, smiles, and then sings, and repeat. But they way he he moves, sings and act just put the entire audience into a trance. Everyone's into the music. Impressive!

Not only did Omar own the stage and scene, he owned the audience and already in the first song you could see plenty people dancing dabke. Arabic-speaking audience, as well as Norwegians of all gender. Everyone was welcome. Just brilliant by the middle-eastern part of the audience. Hands down the best, nicest and coolest crowd I've ever seen at a gig.

I went to see One Ok Rock!! when they came to Seattle. I may go see them again this year. I really want to see The GazettE, but I'm not sure if I wanna fly all the way to LA for a concert. XD

- Les Bringelles (maloya, etc. from Reunion Island) 3 times

A side-project formed by Maya Kamaty and the two female vocalist of Saodaj' (see above) and one another girl. They play covers of traditionnal songs from here and elsewhere.

- Labelle (electro maloya from Reunion Island)

- Pigment (punk-rock from Reunion Island)

A side-project formed by Nathalie Natiembé (a well-known female vocalist here) and her son, Mounawar

- Maya Kamaty (nu-maloya from Reunion Island) 4 times because I love her so much !

and I went to the Francofolies this week and I saw :

- Christine Salem Sinfonik (Maloya from Reunion Island)

Christine Salem is a well-known singer here and, for the first time, maloya's traditionnal rhythms melted with a symphonic orchestra. Beautiful live !

- Clara Luciani (pop-rock from France)

Really good surprise, I didn't know her and it was more rock than pop to me.

- Hubert-Félix Thiéfaine (rock from France)

- Jeanne Added (pop electro from France)

- Loryzine (maloya from Reunion Island)

- Saodaj' (nomadic maloya from Reunion Island) because I love them so much

- Temper (electro from France) they used to perform before Bigflo et Oli several times

There were also Bigflo et Oli (rap from France) and Lune of Atlantis (electro from Reunion Island) but I don't care about them.

Edited by Shaolan974

Akira and Lantana at Katsucon. I was really impressed! It is actually got me to finally make an account on this website despite being a j-rock fan off and on again for awhile. Tomo has incredible stage presence and although their music is harder than I usually like it was still a great deal of fun.

33416r8.jpg

Just saw CHAI tonight. I only really know about 5~6 songs of theirs, but they played literally all of the ones I know, so it worked out pretty well.

N.E.O. was definitely the highlight for me. Knew it'd be fun to dance to live after I saw this version.

I just wish they played a bit longer - they only performed for about 50 minutes to an hour, and the time went by super fast. Tickets were only like $15 though, so I can't complain.

Yesterday evening I done went and saw Incantation with some other bands in tow. 

Incantation at their best were, I would say, the darkest early US death metal band with an unparalleled density and impenetrable sound. What in large part makes the first two records is patience, a good ear for tension and atmosphere unlike other bands at the time.  Of the highlights of their run I'm such a big fan in fact that I think in the style it's some of the best stuff out there. 

In 2019 however, Incantation brings a rockin' show to your town! I don't think I hate anything more than the old, moldy rock 'n roll bullshit of aging rockers disparaging the dignity of both artist and audience alike. This wasn't the worst case of it that I've seen, but I just can't with any "hey what's up motherfuckers!!!" "this one goes out to you fucks in the pit!!" it's quite frankly humiliating even to be there and to bare witness from the back with a beer in hand in an attempt to separate yourself from the festivities. After I've hit my drink quota all I was left with was an existential crisis about what I was even doing there. I think it's about time I take music seriously and draw a line somewhere, a line I'll never cross and stop going to any mickey mouse rock bullshit or any other poser cave that'll just end up taking me to the grave. The music was acceptable when they were playing good songs tho, although maybe I found the drum sound and/or drummer a bit lacking. Didn't create the mood of the first two albums, but at least the songs themselves were good. That said tho, fuck that shit. I know people like to make fun of the Mgla type of performance where the band has its face covered or another where they don't even face the audience; it's still provides a welcome distance from the worst, despite not challenging the entire culture and its molecular form. The best thing about raves is brutal face checking and anti-commerciality and I hope the record industry dies out completely so that the deck gets shuffled from top to bottom. 

edit: oh yeah and there was some shit metalcore as an opening act. fuck 

Edited by Disposable

Saw Hyde and Wagakki Band at the Playstation Theater yesterday. I'm so very pleased! Both Hyde and Suzuhana had even stronger voices in person, gosh I could listen to them into forever. Had to leave early to catch the bus home sadly but I'm still so happy to have heard Hyde in person. I missed L'arc~en~Ciel when they came to Otakon over a decade ago so it is wonderful to see Hyde perform finally. :) And really loved how Wagakki Band had such a range to them, not easy to somehow show off the amazing talent for each of their eight members but they did so beautifully.