I really liked The high end of low but I'm having a hard time getting into the two subsequent albums, and I feel like everything I disliked about those two albums is culminating in this new single. I have no hope for the upcoming album, I'm just happy I didn't spend money on the fall tour at this point. 

16 hours ago, gwsm said:

I really liked The high end of low but I'm having a hard time getting into the two subsequent albums, and I feel like everything I disliked about those two albums is culminating in this new single. I have no hope for the upcoming album, I'm just happy I didn't spend money on the fall tour at this point. 

I could never finish Born Villain as I get bored a few songs in, but I absolutely loved The Pale Emperor. It was a more matured album and I think him experimenting with a more bluesy laid back style was a breath of fresh air. 

Can't say that I'm quite on the hype train for HUD either, but I am looking forward to seeing what Manson's still got. Revelation 12 and Say10 sound pretty promising. What are the qualities from Born Villain and The Pale Emperor that you don't like?

3 hours ago, ghost said:

I could never finish Born Villain as I get bored a few songs in, but I absolutely loved The Pale Emperor. It was a more matured album and I think him experimenting with a more bluesy laid back style was a breath of fresh air. 

Can't say that I'm quite on the hype train for HUD either, but I am looking forward to seeing what Manson's still got. Revelation 12 and Say10 sound pretty promising. What are the qualities from Born Villain and The Pale Emperor that you don't like?

I did listen to Third Day of a Seven Day Binge quite a lot, but I never managed to get into the rest of The Pale emperor. I did only listen to the whole thing a few times though, so I should probably give it another shot. Do you have any gems from the album to recommend?
I really wanted to like Born villain since I liked The high end of low so much, but I can't honestly say one good thing about it besides the You're so vain cover.

We know where you fucking live is the first song I heard from HUD, so I should probably listen to a few more songs before I judge the whole album. I guess my problem is partly that Manson sounds a bit like a band that's very inspired by the mid- to late 90's Manson sound, but doesn't know how to write interesting songs, I think a lot of it is very "samey" and forgettable.  
But most of all I'm not a huge fan of Manson's lyrics anymore, I don't know if the old stuff is better or if I just listened to it so much it started to sound good, but whenever I hear lines like "I don't know if I can open up, I'm not a birthday present" or "I know where you fucking live" I just instantly feel like changing song. I guess it's just not for me!

19 hours ago, gwsm said:

I did listen to Third Day of a Seven Day Binge quite a lot, but I never managed to get into the rest of The Pale emperor. I did only listen to the whole thing a few times though, so I should probably give it another shot. Do you have any gems from the album to recommend?
I really wanted to like Born villain since I liked The high end of low so much, but I can't honestly say one good thing about it besides the You're so vain cover.

We know where you fucking live is the first song I heard from HUD, so I should probably listen to a few more songs before I judge the whole album. I guess my problem is partly that Manson sounds a bit like a band that's very inspired by the mid- to late 90's Manson sound, but doesn't know how to write interesting songs, I think a lot of it is very "samey" and forgettable.  
But most of all I'm not a huge fan of Manson's lyrics anymore, I don't know if the old stuff is better or if I just listened to it so much it started to sound good, but whenever I hear lines like "I don't know if I can open up, I'm not a birthday present" or "I know where you fucking live" I just instantly feel like changing song. I guess it's just not for me!

Personally,  I also really liked Deep Six, The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles, Slave only Dreams to be King, and Birds of Hell Awaiting. I think my favorite thing about the album though is Manson's vocal performance. It's definitely not what it used to be but I feel that his current singing style fit perfectly with the sound of TPE.

I agree with that. I think he lost a lot of his ferocity and fire in recent years and, especially with all the falling outs with past members and Interscope Records, I'm sure his musical influence has changed since times of the triptych. I think his lyrics have definitely changed. He talks less about politics or current events and more about himself. A common criticism I've heard is that with his change in lyrical focus, people feel Manson's lost his edge or shock value. But yeah, I think his lyrics don't quite have the same impact as they used to and they can be kind of cringey at times. 

13 hours ago, ghost said:

Personally,  I also really liked Deep Six, The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles, Slave only Dreams to be King, and Birds of Hell Awaiting. I think my favorite thing about the album though is Manson's vocal performance. It's definitely not what it used to be but I feel that his current singing style fit perfectly with the sound of TPE.

I agree with that. I think he lost a lot of his ferocity and fire in recent years and, especially with all the falling outs with past members and Interscope Records, I'm sure his musical influence has changed since times of the triptych. I think his lyrics have definitely changed. He talks less about politics or current events and more about himself. A common criticism I've heard is that with his change in lyrical focus, people feel Manson's lost his edge or shock value. But yeah, I think his lyrics don't quite have the same impact as they used to and they can be kind of cringey at times. 

I'm familiar with Deep Six and The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles, but I'll give the other songs another shot, thanks!
I don't think Manson necessarily has to sing about politics or current events to be interesting, and I don't care much for his shock value, I never found him very shocking to begin with. But I think that his commentary on these things used to be both insightful and general/fundamental enough to somehow be applicable to someone fairly unfamiliar with traditional american and christian values. The the more personal lyrics as of late feels (to me) very hard to relate to, and like you mentioned often sounds a bit cringey. Perhaps it's related to the split with Interscope, that would explain the sudden shift in quality between The high end of low and Born villain!

Kinda tired with him always mentioning "this next album gonna sounds like Antichrist Svperstar" but it never sounds like that.

He did it for Pale Emperor, he did it for Born Villain and now he did it again for Heaven Upside Down.

I am not how HUD will sounds like in its entirety and gonna wait for that but at least this first single sounds like something from The High End Of low to me. It is still enjoyable but I just wish he could stop baiting people. Just admit those past sounds will never happen anymore.

HUD is gud. REALYLLY GOOD. I didn't think Manson would ever be able to go back to an industrial/punk rock style and make it good. I hope Tyler sticks around for many more albums to come.

My biggest issue with the album though is flow. I've listened to it maybe around 6 times now but it just doesn't flow as well as The Pale Emperor. 

Favorite tracks right now are:

Revelation 12

Tatooes in Reverse

Say10

Saturnalia

Jesus Crisis

Blood Honey

^ I agree about the flow. The placement of the songs feels kinda...off. Not sure what would be a better order tho.

All in all, so far I like the album. Feels a bit like it's missing something, but it's solid.

Faves currently:

-Revelation #12

-Kill4Me

-Saturnalia

-Threats of Romance

Saturnalia is giving me depraved Bauhaus vibes and I love ittttt

Edited by Jigsaw9

I haven't feel the essence of MM for awhile now, I don't feel the aggression, or passion for that matter, this album is just like that again.

In recent interview, he admitted that he had been losing his self confidence or something like that for awhile.

I hope that thing will return some time, otherwise I guess I'll  just have to enjoyed what is given from now on.

Just downloaded Heaven Upside Down and I am not impressed. Revelation #12's opening riff was the best thing to happen on this album. SAY10 was surprisingly good, and Blood Honey was fairly decent, but I am not digging the rest! I just can't deal with the electronic "drums." If this album wasn't so watered down in electronic bullshit, I'd probably enjoy this album a lot, I might even look past the cringeworthy sense of humour in the lyrics, although I think I'd still hate JE$U$ CRI$I$.

I will be listening a few more times to see if anything else will grow on me, because I want to give this a chance.

Johnny Depp looks kind of hilarious in this, his crack head expressioned face freaking out every scene. X)

@Jigsaw9 Oh I saw what you did thar 

@SeimeisenDefinitely give it more time. I think Pale Emperor is, no question, a stronger album, but there are some interesting things happening in some of the details of Heaven Upside Down. Definitely a step back in direction from the matured bluesy Pale Emperor, but at times this album hits this threshold of Manson at his most refined AND most hammiest that keeps me entertained and coming back.

Edited by ghost

I've listened to latest MM album and I wasn't impressed at all. I agree, it's a big step back to the direction, that manson had in years 2000 to 2007. Apparently i think, manson ended there. The next albums, like HEoL, born villain, or pale emperror, which is bland as bloody hell,  are just mistakes. But be honest. Manson won't never return to condition from mechanical animals or portrait of us family.

Scott Putesky a.k.a. Daisy Berkowitz just passed away yesterday, died of colon cancer at age 49. :-(

I always loved his loose grungy style, he was one of my favorite Manson axemen next to John 5. He really made the sound in the Spooky Kids and early Marilyn Manson band years, not to mention being one of the original founders of the group co-writing some killer tunes. May he R.I.P.

Edited by Jigsaw9

And now Twiggy is out due to the raping accusations (though last years he was just another of the live"mercs")...Manson and him seems to differ on how long the absence will last and who decided about it :grin:

2817dvt.jpg

On 10/23/2017 at 10:05 AM, Jigsaw9 said:

Scott Putesky a.k.a. Daisy Berkowitz just passed away yesterday, died of colon cancer at age 49. :-(

I always loved his loose grungy style, he was one of my favorite Manson axemen next to John 5. He really made the sound in the Spooky Kids and early Marilyn Manson band years, not to mention being one of the original founders of the group co-writing some killer tunes. May he R.I.P.

mannnn i was devastated when i found out about daisy passing away :/

There's a new single/video out (even if just a cover song). It's okay.

edit: lol, just saw that this song's been out since 2017, but only on some movie's soundtrack.

Edited by Jigsaw9

On 9/23/2017 at 7:50 AM, LIDL said:

I haven't feel the essence of MM for awhile now, I don't feel the aggression, or passion for that matter, this album is just like that again.

In recent interview, he admitted that he had been losing his self confidence or something like that for awhile.

I hope that thing will return some time, otherwise I guess I'll  just have to enjoyed what is given from now on.

wearing makeup and screaming is sort of a young man's game, sad but true.

He found an avenue for potential artistic 'maturity' when he ditched the "I'M A SCHOOL SHOOTING ABORTION BUTTSEX SATAN haha j/k (OR AM I)" babby's-first-provocation thing and tried to recast himself as the heir apparent of Bowie and Bolan circa Mechanical Animals, but he's done nothing but regress since then.

Edited by hopefully_benign