Sign in to follow this  
dannemannen

Dir en grey - Different Sense

It's finally here, let's review the shit outta it :D

What do you guys think about this single?

For myself I would say that we got the best part in the preview.. they went too far with the growling this time. The chorus of Different Senses is cool but nothing mindblowing, the rest is just boring and pointless. Just feels so cheap to fill up more than half of the song with generic screaming. Seriously, arent we all kind of tired of this "heavy sound" from DEG by now? 5/10.

The second song "tsumi to kisei" just simply sucks, one of the worst songs ive heard in many years. I cant believe how bad it is 0/10 (in b4 "Oh this shit is awesum, it's art"). Horrible.

Disappointed.. but one thing that is quite cool is that they certinately arent trying to appeal the mainstream market anymore. well well.. expected more.

... :|

DIR EN GREY - [DIFFERENT SENSE CD1 #01] DIFFERENT SENSE

- qt solo! 1:44-2:24 was actually listenable. Basic as fuck, but wouldn't turn it off. Everything else about this was shit as usual though, Kyo's screaming was lulzy.

DIR EN GREY - [DIFFERENT SENSE CD1 #02] 罪と規制

- lol wat is this garbage. It's like someone took a really, really boring boris song and guttural dwarf growl over the top.

DIR EN GREY - [DIFFERENT SENSE CD1 #03] RED SOIL [LIVE]

- the verse sounds like a madeth gray'll cover. But with vocals 1/1000th as good as hisui's obviously. the headbang bits are pathetic.

2/10

Different Sense ends up to be a big disappointment. It takes too long for the "chorus" to start, which is a hundred times better than the lame intro. The transitions between different parts of the song are good, but the screaming throughout the song indeed feels cheap, I agree. Not what I expected.

Tsumi to kisei is much like BBUUURRGGEHRHEGHHUUWWRWRGGHGHUUR from start to finish. What the hell. It's hard to even recognize the original song.

Red Soil (live), I don't care much about. The album version on Uroboros is better.

The A-Side is really cool to me, however Tsumi To Kisei is just completely and utterly underwhelming and it sounds like they just recycled Warsaw's formula a bit

The A-Side is really cool to me, however Tsumi To Kisei is just completely and utterly underwhelming and it sounds like they just recycled Warsaw's formula a bit

^^more or less this, although the warasu formula worked on.. well warasu. this one is utterly boring and monotone. A-Side is pretty cool, but i guess for my taste they start to turn to much in the deathmetal (yeahyeah, inb4 "LULZ, DEG is teletubbies-thememusic, for metal listen to -somethingwithbloodandsatan-") direction, hagehage was still ok, this one might be too much...

I'll be writing a proper review in two days when i get rid of my fanboy glasses and start hating this stuff like a true internet badass would.

Lets just say that Tsumi to Kisei is so bad, that it's funny. There is nothing, literally nothing going on 90% of the song and the 10% is the intro, and the soundeffect thingy after 2.30. Riffs. Start making those. Yet i can still listen to it over and over again! No former fanboy gets completely rid of it's stripes no matter how many years pass on.

Oh yeah and the Red Soil live is worthless, suprised?

Fuck the hate.

Seriously, 8/10 for Different Sense. It's REALLY complex, and everything seems to really culminate at the end, the solo was cool as hell (props to K&D for ACTUALLY soloing in a song for once.), Toshiya's bass tone is crazy trebly, and juicy. Lots of thick bottom end coming from that rig he's playing now. As for Shinya, give him some props for those crazy phrases. The only gripe I have is with Kyo's vocals.

As for Tsumi to Kisei...7/10 for effort. It's REALLY sludgy. I barely recognize it at ALL. It feels like they tried really hard to do something intriguing...but it's just...TOO FUCKING MUCH AT ONCE. I'm sure when they play it live it'll sound more cohesive. But HELL YEAH for toshiya's awesome slapping skills. I'm REALLY surprised at those fucking rolls.

And...Red Soil?

"- the verse sounds like a madeth gray'll cover. But with vocals 1/1000th as good as hisui's obviously. the headbang bits are pathetic."

Thanks Herpes.

As a casual Dir En Grey fan coming into this single with hardly any expectations, I found "DIFFERENT SENSE" to be surprisingly impressive. The mild-progressiveness of it was definitely a plus. Will certainly garner repeat plays from me!

Personally, I didn't care for "罪と規制".

The "RED SOIL [LIVE]" was incredibly listenable for a live recording. Not only did they perform the song damn well, but the actual quality of the recording is applaudable as well.

Overall - quite nice. I'm actually somewhat looking forward to the album now! ;]

Eh, the beginning of Different Sense is a turn off but after you get about 1:20 in I really really like it and wish that was it.

Tsumi to kisei might as well have not even been recorded. It kinda reminds of Warsaw no gensou but while that was pretty epic this ends up sounding like a big pile of nothing. It's unfortunate and the first re-imagining I haven't relatively liked but the original wasn't a favorite of mine anyway so.

Didn't bother with the live recording.

I'm kind of surprised at how much I do like DIFFERENT SENSE. I expected to be disappointed, but it's a pretty strong track. I saw people comparing it to Hageshisa or Gaika, but I don't think they're really comparable. This has more of a changing and interesting song structure, compared to those. [Though I did love Gaika.]

This song still isn't amazing, but it makes me hopeful for their album. Dir en grey pretty much always picks the worst songs for singles, but the direction this single goes makes me think the album will be pretty cool.

罪と規制 is kind of weak. Like Ezra said, it's very sludgy, but I don't think they're playing sludge very well. It's interesting to see maybe in the future them take a step in that direction more, but other than a few parts, especially the end, it's not there yet.

Don't care about RED SOIL live. Dir en grey hasn't been worth shit live for the last couple of years.

My initial response to DIFFERENT SENSE was sheer fanboy-ism. I got really excited and thought this was the greatest thing DEG has ever done. After some time though of sitting around with it and taking it in:

it's a phenomenal single but not their best (though technically it is).

Different Sense: Really strong song with ridiculous transitions and great performances all around by the members. The guitar solo is simplistic but effective, and Kyo's vocals are incredible (especially in that part after the solo. Omg!), but the transition from verse to chorus is incredibly choppy (the first time around), but after listening to it 10 times it all tends to blend together. 9/10

Tsumi to Kisei: Weird but I won't go as far as to say it's POINTLESS or it SUCKS. B-sides have always been things that bands experiment with. B-sides serve the purpose of being the band out of their element and trying something new. For this purpose, I thoroughly enjoyed it mostly because of the amazing presence of Toshiya's bass and the atmosphere that surrounds all of it. 7/10

RED SOIL (Live): It's RED SOIL...what else can I say? I loved Tue Madsen's mixing on this track. He seamlessly integrates the crowds screams with the song. I liked it...but I've heard this song thousands of times before. 6/10

Props to Tue Madsen for his amazing work!

Overall: 8/10

Different Sense: for me PERFECT! nothing more to say 10/10

Tsumi to kisei: The kill Tsumi to Batsu with this Re-imagined song ?/10

RED SOIL [Live]: Love the song s posible one of my favorite song of DEG, whatever 10/10

Overall: 8/10,

really like Different Sense. has really cool stuff in it and love Kyo's voice. dont know but love this song from first listen

the two others are just pure shit XD hahaha

title track is just swell, B-side is ?????

I don't dislike tsumi to kisei, but I'm having trouble feeling much of anything about it :'1

Alright:

DIFFERENT SENSE: how the heck are those pieces combined together? It's like a frankenstein monster of various DEG songs (Lotus-Gaika-ASOM). Also, those guitars smelled a bit...Slipknot-ish :x - the solo was still top-notch and what else should I say? Better than LOTUS and Hageshisa

8,5/10 (for unnecessary song recycling and Mick Thomson-factor)

Tsumi to Kisei: alright haters and hateresses - this beats DS down 6-0, no argument needed. This pretty much sounds like WnG but hint: after a few listens everyone will notice that this IS NOT sludge after all - more like a metallized version of Mr Bungle's "My Ass is on Fire" with extraslow gurglemurgle-parts - also, bassline needs some love.

9/10

Red Soil (live): I didn't ask for this - good studio song, but this live version smells like Madeth pretty much - WtD-old school-angst era is over kthanksgudbai

5/10 (not that I hate old school references but DEG just doesn't succeed in this, sry (cosplay era songs no no no))

Final rating:

8,75 sans RS

7,5 avec RS

DIFFERENT SENSE - PERFECT. 10/10 One of their BEST singles.

Tsumi to kisei - 7/10 - It's a little too much all over the place but gorgeous.

Red Soil [Live] -Meh. Live.

Different sense - fucking brilliant. 10/10

Tsumi to kisei - Its different for them I'd say and its not my favorite song by them but I am enjoying it regardless of what genre you may call it. 8/10

Red soil (live) - Not a bad live these get better as they bring out more singles. 7/10

DIFFERENT SENSE is a fucking masterpiece. Definitely the top single out of the 3, and just about the perfect way to head into the new album.

Tsumi to kisei is interesting. Even with the sample that leaked a couple days ago, I wasn't expecting it to be this heavy.

Red Soil, like always is a good live track, but would have preferred something a little less common, especially considering the songs that were played on that tour.

Eh, the beginning of Different Sense is a turn off but after you get about 1:20 in I really really like it and wish that was it.

My thoughts exactly. If the song started with a little intro and jumped right into the chorus and began to build momentum right after it kicked off, it'd have been much better. And I don't generally like songs structured like that.

Regarding the b-side and the live recording, I didn't care for any of those at all. But as much as I don't have any expectations or like the direction they're heading to (even though I kind of enjoyed a couple of things from both LOTUS and DIFFERENT SENSE), I'll be checking out the album.

Different Sense is amazing. I love almost everything about it. I love the transition from heavy to melodic, their last 3 a-sides show they are becoming masters at this skill. its disappointing that people are put off by a song that's structure is not verse-chorus-verse-chorus. - 9/10

the b-side is terrible though. completly unimaginative next to different sense.

Sign in to follow this