Sign in to follow this  
dannemannen

Versailles - Holy Grail

i like to slap people when they do something good... its satisfying.

:o Oh, okay haha!

still awkward doesn't it? :lol:

yeah.. for the person getting slapped.. they don't know wtf they did wrong... NOTHING.. its fun.

Masquerade. 8/10

Despite the music being written by Kamijo it is starting to grow on me. Unfortunately the chorus really drags the song down and kind of ruins it for me. It's like everything leading up to the chorus is great but when I get to the chorus I hit the back button and just listen to the beginning of the song again. If I can manage to get through the chorus the rest of the song is great. I don't know why I dislike the chorus so much, it's not THAT bad but kind of drags the song down. Could be so much more if the chorus was worked on a bit more.

Philia Neutral

Skipped.

Thanatos. 7/10

Not bad, it's nice to hear something written by Masashi. A bit mellow for my taste but I enjoy it.

Flowery. 10/10

Judging by just the name I thought this was going to be a shitty ballad but Teru wrote it and instead it's wickedly awesome and my favourite song on the album.

Remember Forever -100/10

Boring as hell.

Destiny Labers Neutral.

Destiny is dumb, the extra orchestrated stuff at the beginning was totally unnecessary and stupid. I'll just listen to the single version that doesn't have the extra pointless nonsense attached to it.

Dry Ice Cream 7/10

I like it but I don't love it, I'm a little mixed on this one. I may come to really like it sooner or later but right now I ain't feelin it.

Threshold 5/10

Filler track.

Judicial Noir. 10/10

Judicial Noir is my favourite old song on the album.

Vampire. 5/10

Vampire is pretty mediocre, the chorus is really bad. I want to love it but I can't. It starts out pretty cool but when Kamijo started singing it all went down from there. I really hate the chorus, why do I dislike the songs written by Kamijo so much? (Masquerade being a recent exception).

Love will be born again. -100/10

Wrrrrrrrrrrrry

Faith & Decision -100/10

The 16 minute long song should be renamed to Boring as -FUCK-. Honestly, I haven't been much of a fan of any of their long songs anyway so I wasn't expecting much from this. They just can't seem to write good long songs like other metal bands can.

Overall Opinion

Despite sounding like a negative Nancy I like the album. I wish Teru had wrote more than just Flowery, I've liked just about everything he has written for the band and would love it if he wrote even more.

Not going to do a huge review since it's kinda late lol.

MASQUERADE

I like it, Kamijo did a good job at composing this one. 8.5/10

Philia

Heard it on the single, but after a while it started to bore me. I like it a lot less now. 7/10

Thanatos

Rather good, nice to see something being composed by Masashi. 8/10

Flowery

The best on the album. I still wonder why they don't let TERU compose more often. There hasn't been one song he has composed I didn't like. In fact, his songs are my favourites. 9/10

Remember Forever

Nice attempt, but no. Boring ballad. 6/10

DESTINY -The Lovers-

Compared to most stuff this one is really weak. 6/10

DRY ICE CREAM [Remove Silence] (pun intented)

It's ok, nothing special tbh. 7/10

Threshold

Would make a good movie soundtrack? I guess so. 7.5/10

Love will be born again

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT. The idea is nice, and so is the ballad...but...THAT ENGRISH. I'll listen this when I want to have a good laugh. 4/10

Vampire

Could be better than it actually is. 7.5/10

Faith & Decision

Compared to God Palace this is NOTHING. Next time I want Kamijo on the long songs again. 6.5/10

The Theme of Holy Grail

Blablaoutroblablaidgafbutcompletelyunnecessary

Compared to Jubilee this wasn't quite as good. Maybe it will grow on me, but I doubt it. Overall: 7.25/10

Wow, my opinions appear to be slightly different than most of the other Versailles fans here . . . reading these reviews. I may listen to it a few more times before giving a more detailed smack down in my blog, but here is my initial impressions.

Just giving a quick breakdown:

MASQUERADE - 9/10

Philia - 6/10

Thanatos - 9/10 (Masashi should write more songs)

Flowery - 8/10 (Not my favorite Teru song ever tbh, but it's pretty cool)

Remember Forever - 5/10 (Can't listen to it all the way, not even a good ballad by Versailles standards)

DESTINY - 7/10 (Sounds good remixed and the song grew on me quite a bit)

DRY ICE CREAM!! - 8/10 (I actually loved it, it wasn't omgawd good but it certainly stood out on the album)

Threshold - 6/10

Judicial Noir - 9/10

Love will be born again - 6/10 (Engrish ruins most of it; had potential to be of X-Japan level of ballad epicness)

Vampire - 8/10 (I also really liked this song, strangely enough and don't see reasoning behind extreme h8)

Faith & Decision - ?/10 (TL;DR - some parts I skipped through sounded decent though)

Theme of Holy Grail - 6/10 (It's okay, despite being sappy instrumental)

Okay, so while I enjoy individual songs, I think this album all together was resoundingly weaker than anything they've ever done, probably excluding Noble. I'm left a bit underwhelmed, but I don't think this album deserves to be labeled the disappointment of the year. It has good aspects, it's just that it feels . . . rushed, if you ask me. (Yes, ironic considering the actual length).

Overall Rating: 6-7/10

Sign in to follow this