Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Rammstein

Most of their recent music (and lyrical content) is plain ridiculous.

It's nice that they don't take themselves seriously and all, but there's a fine line between goofy and obnoxious.

Prefer older albums.

I think around the release of that "Amerika" song I stopped listening to them.

Musically they can still be catchy, though.

I do have a soft spot of Rammstein, but they have released some utter crap in the past. Pussy was easily their worst song on their last album...it's shit like that.

I have no idea what all these people are saying about lyrical content...

"P****" and "Ich tu dir weh" are about as poetic as it gets. Great and professional video for that first song too! :fap:

It's funny how Rammstein know that Pussy is downright horrible, so they intentionally put it onto the album for the lolz. Kudos to them! It's nice to know that they don't really take themselves seriously.

^ Agreed, that one is one of my favorites as well. Also, Mutter is pretty kickass too, imo (but basically the only album I really don't like by them is Rosenrot xD).

Rosenrot is a lot to take in considering their past albums. I've come to actually like it a lot.

But I think my favorite album is a tie between Reise Reise and Mutter.

It's funny how Rammstein know that Pussy is downright horrible, so they intentionally put it onto the album for the lolz. Kudos to them! It's nice to know that they don't really take themselves seriously.

that kind band is rammstein , thy like to shock peeps

I'm a huge Rammstein fan, and a lot of people don't get that. In Germany their music has been considered highly controversial, and some people would actually give you a weird look for carrying a Rammstein bag or wearing a Rammstein shirt.

A few months ago the younger sister of an old friend of mine approached me and asked if I still owned any old Rammstein fan shirts. I said yes, and she asked me if I was interested in selling them because a friend of hers was currently looking for one. So, naturally, I said that it's great that she's a Rammstein fan but that, unfortunately, these tshirts were way to worn out, and that she should better look somewhere else. She then told me that her friend wasn't a Rammstein fan and that  it's quite fashionable to wear shirts of "hardcore bands" right now. Well, I was suprised to say the least. Who in their right mind would wear a Rammstein shirt without knowing what their music is about? The whole concept of wearing shirts of bands you don't know is beyond me and on top of that she decides to go with...Rammstein?

When I was a teenager I actually put anti-nazi badges on my rammstein bag or on my trousers (in case I was wearing a Rammstein shirt) because strangers made assumptions about me that weren't true. Same goes for black boots. In Germany, a lot of people associate any kind of black boots (except fashionable, "feminine-looking" ones) with the neo nazi scene, even though metal fans wear them as well (I had people ask about my black Doc Martens....yes...that's how bad it is.) Wanna cause the ultimate mind fuck? Walk around with a Rammstein shirt and black Doc Martins with a Muslim friend of yours wearing a headscarf. Been there, done that.

But maybe things have changed and it's now okay-er for most people. Who knows.

The thing is, most people either love or they hate Rammstein. I chose to love them, inclusding all their stupid, over the top lyrics. Actually, they're a bit like the German version of Dir en Grey. I know, you're all going to say: No way! But hear me out:

- both bands use shocking, exaggerated (at times ridiculous) lyrics simply to shock people

- their singers write these lyrics

- heavy sound

- fanbase abroad

- don't communicate much with their audience

- use make up/ are quite dramatic on stage

-fucked up music videos

While their sound is quite different (and Kyo's and Till's style of singing), they are quite...theatrical. They express their music in similar ways, and I'm just fascinated by that.

Well, this post has no structure and serves no purpose, but these are things that I needed to get off my chest. Also, I have no one else to discuss it with, so please bear with me.

What do you think about Rammstein's controversial lyrics? Do you think there were instances in which they crossed a line?

Edited by AwesomeNyappy

I need new album already.

Their PARIS DVD are so awesome though, damn! Their live show are one thing people should go see before they die, honestly.

Since I am not from Germany, sometimes I am not really understand references they are using in their songs. Not until I saw a better translation with citations. But I enjoyed their music and most messages they brought up.

8 minutes ago, LIDL said:

I need new album already.

Their PARIS DVD are so awesome though, damn! Their live show are one thing people should go see before they die, honestly.

Since I am not from Germany, sometimes I am not really understand references they are using in their songs. Not until I saw a better translation with citations. But I enjoyed their music and most messages they brought up.

Live in Paris is amazing! Völkerball will forever remain my favourite performance, but this one came quite close. I watched it in the movie theatre, and it was overwhelmingly good.

If you have any questions concerning their lyrics, feel free to ask! I'd be glad to help any time.

I haven't listened to Rammstein in a while, only now and then, but I also really enjoy their live shows too! Of course I've never been to one personally, but I still have their Volkerball dvd and I remember watching and loving their performance from beginning to end. They're just such a uniquely awesome band, oh my god. *_*

3 hours ago, sheepprincessgara said:

I haven't listened to Rammstein in a while, only now and then, but I also really enjoy their live shows too! Of course I've never been to one personally, but I still have their Volkerball dvd and I remember watching and loving their performance from beginning to end. They're just such a uniquely awesome band, oh my god. *_*

Awww...I really wish that you'll get the opportunity to see them live one day! I saw them live many years ago, and it was fantastic. Still one of the best shows I've ever been to. Unfortunately, I missed their 2011 tour because I was not expecting another one so quickly after the last one...and missed the ticket sale. Yeah. Not one of my best moments. They  played twice in a row at a venue that is only a one hour drive away from my hometown, so...yeah. It was not my luckiest day. BUT I got to see them once before that, and it was truly amazing.

I will treasure their Völkerball DVD forever. I also liked te live in America DVD. It's always interesting to see the faces of Rammstein fans all over the world.

Btw: they also have a very cool coverband called Völkerball, and they are reeeeaally good. They also copy their performances, just with a little bit less fire. It's like Rammstein, just a tinier version, with a smaller stage and smaller flames :D saw them live twice, and it was a lot of fun. They even do the stunt with the rubber boat, which, let me tell you, is hella brave with a smaller audience because people do not tend to stand that close to each other.

I consider Rammstein to be sort of a basic cornerstone in every teen's explorative endeavors of harsher rock and metal music. At least that's how I experienced them during my youth in the late 90s and early to mid 00s. I've been quite fond of them for a while back in the day and drew a lot of inspiration from them for my own petty poetic efforts. Them being associated with the political right was actually a non-issue for me, I've never felt it to be true and of any significance to the identity and message of the band (they even famously and openly denied these allegations in the song ‘Links 2 3 4’ on ‘Mutter’). Still, their use of snippets from Leni Riefenstahl's ‘Olympia’ for their ‘Stripped’ video is something I find very problematic and simply stupid. Also, the aesthetic and band-persona they cultivated in their first few years of existence was and still is at times bordering on proto-fascistic imagery - at least it can be read that way.

Anyway, I've lost interest in Rammstein almost a decade ago and therefore don't feel the need to justify anything. Had I not come upon them in my teens, I doubt they would intrigue me much today. And even though I still like Till's poetry (cf. his collection of poems entitled 'Messer'), I feel that Rammstein are a superficial and at times painfully simplified version of Till's poetry lyrically and a bloated, sensationalistic and stagnant archaism musically.

That being said I actually think that, apart from the cult-classic 'Mutter', 'Reise, Reise' and 'Rosenrot' are their most sophisticated works when it comes to lyrical content and songwriting in general. In my opinion these albums created a standard they were not able to reproduce or to carry further with 'Liebe Ist Für Alle Da', an album which I found to be very inconsistent and oversaturated with fillers/subpar tracks. 

Edited by VESSMIER

Always liked Rammstein quite a lot, but their stuff from 09's Pussy and onward have been very lackluster. I like themes they go for and all, but as long as the music isn't good enough it's not close to enough. But their three first albums are complete classics, and both Reise, Reise and Rosenrot are solid albums. Fun fan! Hope to catch them live someday.

I agree that Pussy wasn't a particularily good song....but I think there were some pretty good ones on LIFAD as well (Waidmann's Hail, Führe mich, Halt, Rammlied, etc)

Btw: I recently talked about the way Rammstein is often perceived in Germany and how some people were giving me weird looks because I wore Rammstein shirts? I actually thought society was mostly done with it, but then this happened a few hours ago:

I was on my way home on the bus around midnight. A guy who went off at the same bus stop as I did, asked me about my tote bag, which I had bought at the last Völkerball concert (Rammstein cover band.)

Just out of the blue he asked me: "Is that tote bag from a band or anything?"

Me: "It's Völkerball, a Rammstein coverband."

Him:" ah, Rammstein. Well, they are in the grey area, so I guess that's still okay."

He wanted to walk away, but I wouldn't let him off the hook that easily:" Well, I guess "grey area" is debatable. Their lyrics are not about white surpremacy or anything. I personally don't listen to to Boese Onkelz or Freiwild because they are way too fascist." HIm: "Well, I've never really listened to them or looked up their lyrics, so I wouldn't know."

We ended up discussing it for a bit, and well, he just thought Rammstein was a possible nazi band, without having ever looked into them that much. Also, he thought I was a possible nazi because the emblem on my bag and the word "Völker" (can be roughly translated as nations) was enough for him (even though Völkerball literally means dodge ball.) I'm glad he asked, though. I just wish people would let go of these prejudices and not think I'm a f****** nazi all the time *sigh*

Edited by AwesomeNyappy

Sign in to follow this