futoshi92

Japanese Oldies Thread

I have found out about Pink lady thourgh the Nagisa no Shindobaddo song, that Maximum the Hormone covered it on 2002 Niku Koppu single:

IzRWIUqwG7c

It often makes me laugh a bit that in Lazy there was Akira Takasaki.

UiO1TMjH4Vk

If I'd watch it on TV back in the 70s, I'd never expect a pop group ex-member become a heavy metal legend :lol:

21 minutes ago, RickBuch said:

Nobody into some 80s jpop idol music? Yukiko Okada? Akina Nakamori? Seiko Matsuda?

Teach us, o' great one, of 80's Jpop.

No seriously, tell us.

5 hours ago, robkun said:

Chisato Moritaka = the greatest 80s idol

yesssssssssss!!!! love her!

love nakamori too. her voice is amazing! fushigi blew my mind first time i heard it and it's still brain-bending today.

also where enka gang @

I need more 80's Jpop Folks.

Edited by YuyoDrift
Her name is Ayumi Nakamura for those who are wondering.

Been following the example of japanese record collectros and started investigating the 70:s & 80:s idol scene maybe just over a year ago.

It is a truly vast universe ...lots of crossover stuff with synth/techno-kayo, hard rock and even some punk! 

Also surprising is the amount of private press and minor label in this field! Way more than you'd perhaps expect from a 

Love the meta stuff like this:

Fans of certain idols and actresses banding together to sing the praises of their object of admiration. The goofiness is through the roof and absolutely lovable! :)

Western celebs got a pass too... there were at least a handful of LP:s released to celebrate Sophie Marceau, complete with original songs and whatnot:

Hiroko Yakushimaru - 夢で逢えたら (Yume De Aetara)

This is a cover for the original by Eiichi Ohtaki, just to show off her skill to capture the emotion of a true cover.

and another great singer from the 80's, Mr. Tatsuro Yamashita.

This guy's releases are incredible. I'm amazed that YouTube has such good quality rips.

Someone that I have been following on YouTube. solely on a whim, uploaded an informational video on one of Japan's most influential genres during one of it's most important eras:

シティポップ (City Pop)

Enjoy!

I love Japanese oldies, especially female-fronted vocals from the 80s. Some old favorites of mine that you will probably get you some points from middle-aged/older Japanese at karaoke if you sing (and they'll probably sing along with you):

Ann Lewis - Roppongi Shinju

Spoiler

This is probably her most famous song. Everybody and their dog has covered this song, but none are ever as timeless as the original. Lewis was a popular half-American/half-Japanese artist from the 70s - 90s.

Saki Kubota - Ihoujin

Spoiler

This song immediately became popular after it was used in a drama at the tail end of the 70s, and overwhelmed by her overnight popularity, Kubota (real name Sayuri Kume) quickly ended her career before it had ever really begun.

Akina Nakamori - DESIRE

Spoiler

Reinventing herself with each release, she was the "bad girl" to Seiko Matsuda's clean, girl-next-door image. She dominated the 80s.

Mari Hamada - Stay Gold

Spoiler

Forget Babymetal, Hamada had already been blending blending pop, rock, and metal for 20+ years. The original queen of Japanese rock and roll in the 80s, helping to popularize hard rock and the climate that would follow for genres like VK to thrive in the 90s. She still records and plays live today and is absolutely amazing.

WINK - Samishii Nettaigyo

Spoiler

Although some consider this song and WINK to be a one hit wonder, WINK had quite the career, and this song lives on as one of the best representations of Japanese music in the 80s.

PRINCESS PRINCESS - Diamonds

Spoiler

One, if not the most famous, of Japan's all-girl bands. This is the best-selling single, although my personal favorite of theirs would have to be "SEVEN YEARS AFTER".

Eri Hiramatsu - Heya to Y-Shatsu to Watashi

Spoiler

Hiramtasu debuted at the tail end of the 80s, and this song in 1992 would become her best hit and one of the most memorable songs of the 90s.

And maybe one that won't get you a lot of karaoke points, but if you like city pop...

Mariya Takeuchi - Plastic Love

Spoiler

Takeuchi is the wife of famous singer Tatsuro Yamashita (and if you don't know this guy's name, no doubt you'll hear his song "Christmas Eve" playing every winter in Japan), and their musician marriage only made her even more popular.

Edited by jaymee