futoshi92

Japanese Oldies Thread

Since I saw how many poeple on MH were creating topics about various kinds of Japanese music, like indies, metal, jazz or rap, I've decided to make a thread about oldies. This will include rock, blues, jazz, pop, punk and generally anything that is from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and on. I'm exploring through Youtube for Japanese old music, So if anyone has anything interesting feel free to add. I remind that all kinds of old music will be welcome.

I haven't explored too much of the "Japanese oldies", but I do like Carmen Maki and Nakayama Rabi...

I second Nakayami Rabi. Just my kind of stuff.

Kgi2nvfQveY

And also, The Checkers. :lol:

sZJMMeUT6ps

Though they aren't even that old (active between 1981 - 1992)

I suppose I could also add Buck-Tick, Luna Sea, D'erlanger, Anthem who started in the 80s, but I guess they are thouroghly discussed in other topics.

B-T

Uchoten

pretty much every nagomu records band

Jun Togawa

The Stalin and later incarnations

Hikashu

P-Model, too.

Japan had a pretty neat new wave scene back in the '80s already, shame they're somewhat overlooked

i guess not all of these bands fit in 'new wave' but eh idontcare lol

I wouldn't call 80's and 90's "oldies", but here's some of the old japanese stuff I love:

Pyg

A japanese supergroup formed in 71. Boris covered their song "Flower, Sun, Rain" for their album "Smile".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ravnctVJlgE

Gauze

Legendary hardcore band formed in 81. Still active.

G.I.S.M.

Another legendary hardcore band, formed in 80. Blending hardcore with more trad. heavy metal.

Outo

And I continue with legendary japanese hardcore.

Zouo

More legendary hardcore.

Flower Travellin' Band

Formed in 68, released the legendary album "Satori" in 71. Playing psychedelic rock with a heavy old school Black Sabbath doom metal touch to their music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5SG8LlIqoY

Ghost

Formed in 84, released their first album in 90. Acid folk/experimental rock/psychedelic rock. Michio Kurihara (known for his work with Boris) because the guitarist of the band at some point (96 or something, but played a little on their stuff before that as well).

White Heaven

I'm not too familiar with this bands history, but we're talking about psychedelic rock, and another band with Michio Kurihara.

Flied Egg

Progressive/psychedelic/hard rock. Wicked band. Released some stuff back in 72. Pretty legendary band, to be honest.

Food Brain

Another psychedelic rock group. Supergroup that is, consisting of members from Apryl Fool and The Golden Cups, among others. Released one album in '70.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ZVbflkTLI

Apryl Fool

Psychedelic blues rock. Released only one album in 1969 as far as I know. Don't know too much about their history.

S.O.B.

Started out as a hardcore band, and they are one of those really legendary bands that had a lot to say for a new genre at the time, which was grindcore. It's brutal, fast, aggressive and noisy, just like we like it. Lee Dorian, the legend himself, known for his work with legendary bands such as Napalm Death and Cathedral, once said that this band was a hyge inspiration for Napalm Death, the founders of grindcore. Especiallysic 18 album "From Enslavement to Obliteration" are inspired by S.O.B., and if you are familiar with both bands you'll hear that they used a LOT of S.O.B. riffs on that album, something that Napalm Death always have admited and have been proud of. Lee Dorian also did some guest vocals for S.O.B. in their golden days. A band that had a lot to say for grindcore before grindcore was grindcore. For the records; Napalm Death also started out as a hardcore band and evolved into grindcore, like S.O.B.

I'll come back with more later.

oySVgLk3HuQ

Tokage's posted her, here some video :D

JzU_AbSXoNA

I thought it's older than 1997 though

I don't listen to many oldies, I don't like how I recognize it's old :x .
There're always exceptions though :D and big one is Buck-Tick

Kinda later but mine will be:

22xm1fSXtIs

vJal8YKlF-I

Sonhouse - hard/blues rock band from Fukuoka city, formed in the 70s, still active :)

mIzhxnF5yOs

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant - they're not that old, because they were formed in 1991. Thanks to my Japanese teacher for introducing me into this great band. This comes from their third album "Gear Blues" (1998) which is really awesome :D

Maybe later I'll add sth other.

I don't know if anyone here digs The Blue Hearts, but they were an important band in the history of Japanese rock, and the vocalist and guitarist have continued at it to this day, currently as The Cro-Magnons. I like their second band The High-Lows the most myself, but I recently noticed someone had started subbing The Blue Hearts videos on Youtube, and I just love their lyrics. So straight to the point. The translator seems to be Japanese too, which is peculiar. Her channel. A couple of my favourites, lyrically:

yMUiNEN52Pc

ES1eiS_LPbM

And The High-Lows:

xNT7GARSC68

Love The Stalin (michirrrrooooo), Guitar Wolf, Yellow Monkey, and Blankey Jet City (if they count).

Also, obviously a lot of the 80's metal bands such as Anthem, Loudness, et. al.

Oh fuck how did I forget SEIKIMA-II

some oldies artists i really like...

happyend

YAhB9rcXnI8

*who the fuck doesnt like happyend anyways...

INU

MNej8mY3c0g

Murahachibu

TvvVefeljdQ

Zunou Keisatsu

Ao6Yyz6nEYo

Yamaguchi Momoe

C_hLfz4foys

Saori Minami

0IbEmu25nYE

and some Morita Douji i guess.

not sure about GroupSounds, since i only ever actually listend to The Tigers,

and maybe Elephant Kashimashi, but they're still around right? wouldn't call that much "oldies" too....

there's a lot more of the 70's/60's bands out there with a sound of the era... still discovering new shit every now and then.

I just came across my first thread on MH, and felt like reading it again. Hope no one would mind reviving it :D

Suprised that Bow Wow hasn't been mentioned yet. They are one of the most important and influential bands in Japanese rock history. They started in 1975, were named Vow Wow in 1984-1990, and are still active. Released a lot of true classics:

U7EmTwp3IRE

1BqVSAQqzXo

If you'll ever came across with them the biggest release that you surely will get recommended is 1977 album "Signal Fire". It's said that Metallica and Iron Maiden have herad this album, and took an influence from them.

EcmeqLXzMlI

Another masterpiece of theirs is Warning From Stardust, that even has been signed on Japan's 100 Greatest Japanese Rock Albums of All Time.

During the Vow Wow phase they had a new singer, Genki Hitomi, that reminded me of Brian Johnson a lot :mrgreen:

gnqHs4wNFQo

Hn8dNg-Ihas

Overall, let's not forget about their guitarist Kyoji Yamamoto - the incredible guitar hero! :rawk:

3Gc1k11J4Bs

I like their Vow Wow phase the most. I think I've heard all of their albums from that era (6 if I'm correct?). Great band indeed.

And it's quite annoying some stupid rapper uses the name 'Bow Wow' too. Makes it harder to look for the 'real' Bow Wow...

Yes, during the Vow Wow era with Genki Hitomi and Rei Atsumi they have gained more popularity overseas back in the 80s. They have released 7 albums (still close :) )

As for that rapper, I wonder whether is he aware about that. That's just dumb. They also changed their name into Vow Wow, in order to avoid confusion with Bow Wow Wow, a British new wave band.

I find it weird when no one (or only few) said anything about essential jpop/jpop-related artists from 80s like Rebecca or Yapoos for instance:

64ZtGaTa-R0

0M1YttTdZ8A

:wub:

Let's not forget Akina Nakamori too (ps. I didn't bother scroll through your comments, sry)

7vCqfS_YO5k

Even if I prefer Kiyoharu's cover, this is still great :) (ps. Not sorry for Koda Kumi's effed up version)

XS51heRa1-E

thanks to ANIMETAL LADY i discovered this band called Pink Lady

jo74nBSnmlM

LAZY (Mr. Dragon Ball Hironobu kageyama and some LOUDNESS members)