CAT5

THE JAPANESE INDIE THREAD

There's a J-indie thread? Shiz, I need to look through and see which bands I've been listening to haven't been posted.

I swear to god, I've been sucked harder into the J-indie vortex than I was with visual kei bands.. 

I'm so glad this thread exists. T^T I can pillage it for new bands to listen to~~~

As for me, well, my favs are:

MONDO GROSSO

Wednesday Campanella

the Pillows

Number Girl

Asian Kung-Fu Generation

frederic

vivid undress

Ichiko Aoba

Kenshi Yonezu

Age Factory

indigo la End

Nissy

KankakuPiero

Ling Tosite Sigure

aimer

ircle

Gesu no Kiwami Otome

Lyu;lyu

(And if we're talking rap, pretty much anyone off Low High Who. Daoko, GOMESS, Jinmenusagi (early works).  I was also introduced to KOHH through a beautiful Utada song last year, and like his stuff pretty well too.)

2 hours ago, freesia said:

Anoice's new album "Ghost in the Clocks" is so good!

Nice, didn't realize they had anything new out. It's on spotify too!

i am recently getting into japanese shoegaze/dream pop, so if anyone has any recommendations that would be awesome ❤️ 

5 hours ago, Ruri said:

i am recently getting into japanese shoegaze/dream pop, so if anyone has any recommendations that would be awesome ❤️ 

here's a bunch (put 'em under spoiler tags just in case)

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Tokage said:

here's a bunch (put 'em under spoiler tags just in case)

Reveal hidden contents

amazing, thankyou! ❤️ 

Anyone know of 進行方向別通行区分? (Longest name ever, I know. Here's how to say it: shinkō hōkō betsu tsūkō kubun.)

On 12/11/2019 at 4:23 AM, Ruri said:

Check out 溶けない名前 (tokenai namae)!

random *this thread must not die!* push...

shoebills... slow build up with post rock finish, nice keyboard presence and male vocals fitting the music... nothing groundbreaking but I can dig it.

I don't see this band being mentioned all that much, but they're pretty great if you're into Japanese math à la toe or LITE.

onomatopel ... a small alt-pop duo I just stumbled upon; with a really cute piece this time.

sounds a lot like classic shibuya-kei with some pico-pop added to the mix. It's pure sugar but I like it.

Edited by whitegrey

Adding the indie stuff i listen too

I think joppin:cal might be known,  with Wajow from the Gallo and Ryo coming from the Visual Kei Scene too.

They added a new drummer MaNa. 

Reptile

Anti Hero Superstar

and i think Aya belongs to be indie thread too? 

newest one by edawakare. They've released their 2nd EP in june, seems like I missed it back then...

first half is pretty slow but picks up later and is totally worth the wait. A really really nice track totally down my lane!

Some recent discoveries:

NEMU

These guys seem to draw from a whole bunch of different sounds. There's elements of post-hardcore here,  but also a bit of a post-punk tinge, as well as occasional elements that seem more in line with dream pop/shoegaze. Cool stuff that unfortunately seems to be flying under the radar - deserves to be known IMO.

Spoiler

ユウレカ

Another band serving up an interesting blend of genres. Their music contains elements of 90s post-hardcore/math rock/nu-metal. If I had to describe this to someone elevator pitch style I'd say "Imagine a 90s alt-metal take on downy". I dig it.

Spoiler

STRAM

@Jigsaw9actually alerted me to this band's existence. A bunch of their songs very strongly remind me of what I imagine Lillies and Remains would sound like if they had a bit more crunch to them. Recommended for those who like their music gloomy

Spoiler

Ailiph Doepa

Basically fits that niche of bands like Maximum the Hormone / System of a Down and such. Weird and quirky mish-mash of alt-metal with a bunch of other stuff. Still not entirely on board with this myself musically but I'm a big fan of this PV because it's fucking goofy.

Spoiler

New downy track out of nowhere called「17月」

From what I can gather the guitars in this are samples from some recordings Yutaka Aoki did, and mergrim was also involved to some degree with SUNNOVA producing.

Edited by enyx