CAT5

THE JAPANESE INDIE THREAD

colorfuljinsei's Top 10 Weekly Audioleaf Pickups
I need an incentive to keep checking Audioleaf, so this sorta works =P.
This is just stuff I find interesting after sifting through a couple of pages (so you don't have to (?))

Maybe the band has already been mentioned on MH... Who knows? Maybe you'll find something interesting...Who knows? [2]

~sp00ky~

https://www.audioleaf.com/shiranui_band/

https://www.audioleaf.com/buriki/

https://www.audioleaf.com/eckeckecke/ (these guys were part of the 術ノ穴 presents HELLO!!! Digest No. 8 (another good channel for music))

https://www.audioleaf.com/titilulu20140411/

https://www.audioleaf.com/mr_eggplant/

https://www.audioleaf.com/suichublanco/

https://www.audioleaf.com/funamu-m/ (off. audio only on Joysound, lol)

https://www.audioleaf.com/headlamp/ (hmm... I swear I've listened to these guys before...)

https://www.audioleaf.com/babyleaf/

https://www.audioleaf.com/kunel/ (ayy, I like mona records)

Edited by colorfuljinsei

On 6/30/2016 at 11:46 PM, CAT5 said:

^Yeah, I liked Nengu the best out of the bands at NMFT 8. Missed Dalljub Step Club since they went last, though, unfortunately, so I guess I'll never know what could have been there.

^Coincidentally, Suichu Blanco, the 6th band on that Audioleaf list, also came to Canada last year and I kind of like their style, but they played at like midnight to 1 am and I was commuting from the suburbs so it didn't really make sense to go.

On 7/2/2016 at 1:02 AM, colorfuljinsei said:

colorfuljinsei's Top 10 Weekly Audioleaf Pickups
I need an incentive to keep checking Audioleaf, so this sorta works =P.
This is just stuff I find interesting after sifting through a couple of pages (so you don't have to (?))

Maybe the band has already been mentioned on MH... Who knows? Maybe you'll find something interesting...Who knows? [2]

~sp00ky~

yassssssssssss, Thank you for doing this! You remind me of myself when I was younger, spending countless hours poring through audioleaf, myspace, and whatever else I could find. I don't really have the willpower to do these things anymore, so I certainly appreciate it!

The only band from those that I've heard before is buriki. shiranui sounds really promising. suichublanco sounds fantastic, especially how raw and spastic they are! HEADLAMP and baby leaf also sound pleasant.

If the spirit ever behooves you to maybe possibly send some files my way...my inbox is always open...>.> 

Also, bless you for being hip subenoana and mona records!  

giphy.gif

edit:

podo just released their 4th album. here's the album trailer!

Edited by CAT5

This thread is basically what I've been through recently! I am feeling emotional ;_;

But I did pick-up a few good things. Thanks. : 3

Not sure if it fits here, but do you guys know/remember amazingly progressive the brown? Well, they're not active right now, though I'm not sure if they're on an indefinite hiatus or forever gone. Anyway, the brown's eye (vocals) & Atari (guitar) have started a solo-ish career a two-piece unit! It's called 瞼-mabuta-. They first mentioned it some time ago, but only recently they've published a full song!! And they're doing lives right now, it seems... they're not rock-oriented, but damn, eye's vocals are best than ever.

Here's their new full song: https://soundcloud.com/ai-takeda-172176910/contrast

And this is a video of a live they were part of!

Sounds nice. :3

4 hours ago, saishuu said:

^ lol kinda funny to see your post and then @Hakoniwa's signature right above it, heh.

Song is a little too... soft for me at first listen? idk. will keep an eye on them though.

THAT'S BULLYING I'M OUTTA HERE

Well, I do. I do need Kinoko Teikoku. ç_ç (I thought the same while reading it, @Original SakuxD)

But that's very nice!! It really is soft. <3 I'm in the mood for that kind of stuff right now, so I wonder if I can easily find something by them.

Reminds me of something I've been listening to a lot recently, have you guys heard of the "shikisai compilation"? It's a series of compilations by Kusanone label, and while most are japanese indie bands/artists', I've seen western faces there before. All of those compilations are digitally released for free and you can also listen to it online through their bandcamp. Or you can buy it there too, of course. : D

Anyway, volume 5 was released last month and it sounds lovely. So much potential... you can find infomation on the bands/artists there too as well as links to the previous compilations on the page's bottom. You can find it here: http://kusanone-label.net/shikisaicompilation5/

-- Edit --

From their bandcamp page:

“shikisai compilation” is an album to introduce the artist/creator who creates a music that fused acoustic sound and modern electronics sound.
Introduces the music of the various approaches has been exceeded can be found through the Internet, a regional genre.

Edited by Hakoniwa

On 7/13/2016 at 10:24 PM, Hakoniwa said:

THAT'S BULLYING I'M OUTTA HERE

Well, I do. I do need Kinoko Teikoku. ç_ç (I thought the same while reading it, @Original SakuxD)

LOL, I'm only half-kidding. I do dig some Kinoko Teikoku, but I am not a big fan of bands compromising their sounds for commercial purposes unless they can pull it off well. I don't think Kinoko did it well, as they almost entirely lost whatever they had going for them imo. Sure, they're still not "bad", but personally, I can only deal with so many "not bad" bands.

Also, the new ame no parade single is so incredibly boring. They have such a great sound in general, and I'm very fond of Kohei's voice, but man their songwriting is redundant.

^ I figured haha

I agree they haven't done it well, but I still like their older stuff quite a lot. And not all new songs were weak, so... I have some faith. ;^;

On 16/07/2016 at 1:54 PM, CAT5 said:

Also, the new ame no parade single is so incredibly boring. They have such a great sound in general, and I'm very fond of Kohei's voice, but man their songwriting is redundant.

Ame no Parade's latest album "New generation" was freaking good, but I thought their previous stuff were just "okay", so I'm not surprised... I mean, it's not like they were bad, they just weren't good either.

Was going on a bit of a LOSTAGE binge recently and decided to listen to some of their albums somewhat chronologically (I skipped "P.S. I Miss You" and "脳にはビート 眠りには愛を"). So I basically went PLAY WITH ISOLATION -> DRAMA -> GO -> LOSTAGE and didn't get to the rest. I've always loved them as a band, but never really thought to listen to or compare their albums in this way, and man... @indigowas right. Their S/T goes hard as hell! So good. Will have to listen to the rest side-by-side at some point, but I already know I'd rate "ECHOES" pretty high as well.

On 7/21/2016 at 0:27 PM, sairensu said:

I really want to get into more indie music. 

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm really curious about indie J-Pop with female vocals.

Sure, I can recommend you some stuff a bit later!

Edited by CAT5

1 hour ago, CAT5 said:

Their S/T goes hard as hell! So good.

Yesss! I love the rawer/punchier production on the S/T.  And it's also the most garage rock-ish album of theirs. Those drums, mmmh!

Edited by indigo

Damn, y'all, I forgot audioleaf was a thing! Thanks for reminding me lmao

also I've been plowing through some '80s Japanese new wave stuff lately. Though I kinda doubt most people will care for it, 'll post some neat stuff anyways lmao

9 hours ago, indigo said:

Yesss! I love the rawer/punchier production on the S/T.  And it's also the most garage rock-ish album of theirs. Those drums, mmmh!

Indeed!  iirc, that was their first album after their 2nd guitarist left - it's great that they weren't affected negatively by that and came back with such a strong release!

On 7/21/2016 at 0:27 PM, sairensu said:

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm really curious about indie J-Pop with female vocals.

I think there is a ton of music that can fit this description, so I'll just post some things @ random below. If you let me how you feel about em, I'll be able to better pinpoint what you're looking for!

Spoiler

Spangle call Lilli line is the first band that comes to mind when I think "indie-jpop" - but their music feels more like "indie" with pop elements, as opposed to jpop that's just indie, if that makes any sense!?!? Their song structures are amorphous and open-ended, and they're not afraid experiment with things. Their vocalist Kana Otsubo is also one-of-a-kind in the J-indie world - her crystal clear croon and soulful tone is unmistakable! Personally, I would recommend their album "VIEW", as I think that's the most accessible and pop-oriented, but they have a ton of stuff!

For something more traditionally pop, but still indie -  BOMI is great.  She's catchy and straightforward, but also quirky enough to leave an impression. Just great tunes all around.

TAMTAM is really good as well. They have a nice blend of indie-pop/rock and dub with an emotive vocalist.

You probably wouldn't think so judging from the bright piano melodies and cutesy vocals, but heliotrope is actually signed to label that specializes in hardcore, screamo, and emo stuff. Their indie-cred is practically over 9000 lol. There are some cameos in the PV below from well known and respected indie dudes like Mino from toe. Quite a nice band that balances uplifting indie pop tones with clever musicianship.

ENTHRALLS aren't bad. They're probably the least well known act I've posted so far, both in Japan and overseas. They have a straightforward, piano-driven pop-rock sound. Solid stuff.

Not much to say about レミ街, but they are pretty ace! They've got a colorful array of sounds and influences and charming vocals!

babi is just fantastic and one of my personal favorites. She has a playful, almost "cartoony" sound with some clear classical influences here and there. She really reminds me of コトリンゴ (who's much more well known, but equally recommendable).

タテタカコ (Tate Takako) is probably more along the lines of singer-songwriter stuff, but I'd say she can be lopped under non-mainstream jpop as well. Her voice is really distinct and emotive, and she's also a pianist so her music revolves around the instrument. Wonderful, wonderful artist. I'd specifically recommend her album "イキモノタチ" (ikimonotachi)

(the recorded version of this track actually features drums and spoken word by the dude from envy - I linked it below this video)

(^ these are two different tracks btw lol)

That's all I'm going to recommend for now. This post is already huge, and I haven't even scratched the surface lol. Let me know if anything piques your interest! :3

Edited by CAT5

^ Oh, wow... Thank you! I'm digging all of the music, honestly lol 

But I think the ones I'm enjoying the most are BOMI, heliotrope, Remigai, and Spangle call lilli Line.

Thanks for taking the time to share this music with me!! I'm excited to delve into more J-indies!!

On 7/21/2016 at 5:27 PM, sairensu said:

Homecomings and Biscotti are two of my favourite indie acts.

Spoiler

On 7/26/2016 at 6:46 PM, sairensu said:

^ Oh, wow... Thank you! I'm digging all of the music, honestly lol 

But I think the ones I'm enjoying the most are BOMI, heliotrope, Remigai, and Spangle call lilli Line.

Thanks for taking the time to share this music with me!! I'm excited to delve into more J-indies!!

No problem! If you need help finding any music, just let me know!

somehow i was browsing soundcloud and found this band called 蒼い芝生 (Aoi Shibafu). they're alternative and shoegazy, sometimes post-rock.

psssst @CAT5know anything about them by chance??

Spoiler

the vo/gu also recently released an acoustic solo album. you can get it for free on their bandcamp here.

it's much darker in sound and ambient-like. lots of spoken word in it too.

On 8/10/2016 at 10:28 PM, plastic_rainbow said:

somehow i was browsing soundcloud and found this band called 蒼い芝生 (Aoi Shibafu). they're alternative and shoegazy, sometimes post-rock.

psssst @CAT5know anything about them by chance??

Reveal hidden contents

the vo/gu also recently released an acoustic solo album. you can get it for free on their bandcamp here.

it's much darker in sound and ambient-like. lots of spoken word in it too.

I've never heard of this band, but they sound pretty decent! Vaguely reminds me of blgtz!

Steven Tanaka just wrote a pretty interesting blog post on this "city pop revival" that's going on within Japanese indie. Now personally, I've always thought city pop was used to refer to a subset of Jpop...stuff like HITOMITOI, especia and others, but apparently the Japanese have also been using the term to refer to this new trend of Western sounding indie bands - stuff like the fin., awesome city club, never young beach, mitsume, and others. As such, I thought it might be a topic of interest for some of you and perhaps one worth discussing. @fitear1590, @seurong, @beni@indigo, @Carmelzors- I'd definitely be interested in hearing what you guys think on the matter.

http://www.nextmusicfromtokyo.com/?p=6585

And another article on city pop, which Steve links to in his post: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2015/07/05/music/city-pop-revival-literally-trend-name/#.WA5l7i0rKM9

Overall, I would have to agree with Steve. At the risk of sounding like some elitist weeb, I've always been more attracted to Japan's indie scene over a good bit of the indie stuff coming out of Europe and North America. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy indie music from all over, but Japan has always had a particular flavor to their musicality, to their rhythms, that you don't always hear replicated elsewhere. So while I do enjoy some of these up-and-coming "city pop" bands, I also can't help but feel that this is a much less exciting direction for Japan's indie scene in general. :/

I do disagree on a few of the minor details, though. Like siamese cats - I think those guys have only become better since "crossing over". D.A.N., is fairly enjoyable, and so is mitsume and never young beach. My major issue with these bands, though is that their styles have all gotten tiresome rather quickly for me. For instance, mitsume had some dope stuff on their EPs, but both of their full-lengths have been easily forgettable, and never young beach's new album is already snooze-worthy compared to the last. It's like all of these bands got the idea "let's play this specific style of music", but didn't think about how to expand upon that idea or truly make it their own after they exhausted said idea.

Let's not forget the infamous "club club":

awesome city club
and summer club
helsinki lambda club
litchi hikari club
marquee beach club

Healthy Dynamite Club

Ancient Youth Club

...etc

From what I've heard, most of these bands have been pretty boring and haven't really done anything to stand out. I can perfectly understand why people would be into this "city pop" sound, though. In general, it's just easy-going, feel-good music. But with Japanese indie seeming to be in a relative slump in general (at least from my perspective), it's difficult for me not to take issue with this trend.

It's pretty funny, because Tanaka's definition "City Pop is Japanese pop music with a pronounced Western indie influence that tends to have a dreamy, chill, carefree, neo-soul aesthetic" summarizes a big part of my music taste, to a tee! Too bad I don't actually like many of the bands he designated as City Pop!

The article was kind of an interesting read and I suppose it's nice to have a label for these types of bands, but if all the bands listed equal "City Pop," then the term is pretty much meaningless. In my opinion, there's very few Japanese bands that truly sound "Western" to me, such as: The fin., Ykiki BeatHomecomings, (all of which were listed and sing in English, HMMM!), and I would argue Hotel Mexico and early Czecho no Republic. There's probably more, but I'd have to think about it for a minute.

The connection to our "club" band discussion was a cool coincidence, but overall, I fail to see how alleged City Pop bands like Awesome City Club (srsly, their arrangements are so j-poppy) or Yogee New Waves sound especially "Western" unless our definition just means any Japanese indie rock music that's not super frantic/quirky like Midori, ling tosite sigure, or 88kasyo junrei. To which I repeat: the term then becomes kind of useless. Of course not every Japanese rock band is going to sound like them. Simply playing indie pop does not equal "Western". I also think Tanaka downplays how much language and vocals (singing styles, but also melodies that Western artists don't really do) make a difference, even if the guitar riffs might sound like Modest Mouse or something.

And what is the Western band that beachy bands like Mitsume and Siamese Cats are supposedly copying? Cause I need to know. All I can think of is Mac Demarco and that's not quite right.

Also, the comment about "City Pop" music being "emasculating" was pretty silly.