CAT5

THE JAPANESE INDIE THREAD

I am not sure whether this video is okay to lump in here (seeing as the band in question is rather "borderline indie" atm):

New Gesu no Kiwami Otome PV

Your good ol' band of very cool tricks and frills but...lousy choruses (sorry, just demonstrating my love-hate relationship here lol)

Apparently they are gonna remake one of their "known" songs ("funky version", wat) for their future single, so cross your fingers if you are into this band :P

Also, new BDC is way too basic :(

I keep thinking "Wow, I miss THE BEATMOTORS." even though they're still active and they just released a new album last year... "3" was okay, but most of the songs just don't have the same vibe as their older stuff. "Kirei na shoujo" is still just so good.

Your good ol' band of very cool tricks and frills but...lousy choruses (sorry, just demonstrating my love-hate relationship here lol)

Apparently they are gonna remake one of their "known" songs ("funky version", wat) for their future single, so cross your fingers if you are into this band :P

This is easily one of the best, if not the best, songs I've heard from them. One of my biggest issues with this band has always been how their songwriting seemed disjointed, but this track was super smooth throughout. I quite like the chorus, and the piano solo didn't seem abrupt or awkward for once. There's hope for this band yet!

Also, new BDC is way too basic :(

I agree that it's pretty passable.

I also enjoy the Gesu no Kiwami Otome song! The video is fun/quirky as usual. The only thing that irks me about this band is Enon and actually, not vocally speaking. You know how some people have punchable faces? Well, he has a punchable mouth, lol.

I LOVED Backdrop Cinderella's シンデレラはウンザウンザを踊る album back in the day. I don't recall enjoying the follow-up album, Jackson, nearly as much and haven't heard their stuff after that. Am I missing much?

I am not sure whether this video is okay to lump in here (seeing as the band in question is rather "borderline indie" atm):

I was late getting to this but hot dayum, this is a wonderful track and PV!

Kinda random, but Tricot got recognized on Rolling Stones' 10 Artists You Need to Know, April 2015:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/10-new-artists-you-need-to-know-april-2015-20150416/tricot-20150415

That's pretty awesome :D

I'm still digging the new album even after multiple listens <3

I've never quite understood tricot's overseas appeal. This isn't the first time I've seen them mentioned in a western publication. Even if I'm not personally much of a fan, it's still good to see.

I've never quite understood tricot's overseas appeal. This isn't the first time I've seen them mentioned in a western publication. Even if I'm not personally much of a fan, it's still good to see.

Pretty much this. I'm glad to see Japanese music promoted overseas in general, but if I was asked to choose a band to promote internationally, tricot wouldn't be particularly high on my list. Still, I guess it's nice for the scene as a whole.

I tried the new きのこ帝国 single today, and while the melody in the teaser prompted me to expect something a bit more compelling, the actual songs were extremely pedestrian. After their last album, I can't say that I'm particularly surprised, though.

On a brighter note, here's the new PV of a new indie-pop band called Menoz. If this song is any indication, they seem pretty decent. The female vocalist reminds me of Sebastian X's vocalist in both sound and mannerism. Their first mini album is out on the 6th of May, so something to possibly look forward to.

I haven't listened to the きのこ帝国 single, but your impressions of it don't particularly surprise me after the preview and their previous album. I really want to like that band but... eh.

The Menoz song sounds pretty good. I'll definitely give the mini shot when it comes out (exactly one week from now :D).

-> this is interesting at least - if I got it right it's not a sampler but all-new 1-minute songs by al these bands?

This looks AMAZING! So many great bands/artists on there!

Also, HOLY CRAP! I had no idea that a new NEGO album will be out tomorrow. It's titled "THE WORLD" and it's going to feature guest vocalists from KACICA and ANYO - in addition Terui Atsumasa (ハイスイノナサ) as a recording engineer, and mixing and mastering by KASHIWA Daisuke. This is going to be great.

the_world.jpg

CD+DVD 2枚組 ¥2,300(税抜)

発売元:media factory / bayon production

発売元:media factory

1. Ants

2. Edge of...

3. Shadows

4. Lopez Summer

5. Hello World

6. Birth

7. Hermit Crab

8. Stratos

9. Diggin’ Dub

10. World

^ That bottom video sounds a lot like UHNELLYS. They seem to be going full-on funk-rock.

Also, so this thread doesn't just devolve into a YT video dump,  a question for all the J-indie fans here:

What were your first J-indie bands? The bands that piqued your interest and helped pave your way into J-indie?

Is this thread dead? Noooooo ;_;

Don't worry senpai, I'll always be there. 
My first J-indie band was probably 凛として時雨, with 9mm Parabellum Bullet, blgtz, syrup16g and THE NOVEMBERS in the end of 2007 / early 2008. 

What about you cat5?