CAT5

THE JAPANESE INDIE THREAD

I've always been a casual fan, but lately I've been getting way more into it as all the VK bands I like break up and all the new ones suck, lol. I mostly like the alt-rock stuff I guess, but I'm open to pop, pop-rock, wtvr, I like most genres. Recently I've been into Cinema Staff, ivory7chord and FoZZtone.

I've always been a casual fan, but lately I've been getting way more into it as all the VK bands I like break up and all the new ones suck, lol.

THIS. I'm now liking bands like ルルル, 酸素十倍, wooderd chiarie, toe and the likes. vk gradually has no appeal to me.

Japanese instrumental quartet, té, formed in Tokyo, Japan in 2004. The band quickly gained praise from critics and fans alike due to their energetic and inspirational live performances.

hwsAuL5ff2o

7Di8DJUyQBc

I've only heard one album, but it's good stuff! If you're like me and you can't concentrate with music that has vocals, this is some good study music, haha.

RED SUN

RED SUN is an extremely intriguing musical act, I must say. You’re always bound to find odd quirks and surprises in any derivations of avant-garde music, and RED SUN’s world is one of a kind in that respect. They’ve got that bluesy vibe going on, sometimes loungy and relaxed, sometimes playful, and at other times melancholic and gloomy. They definitely like to play with electronic noises more than with synths, which gives their otherwise clear, unforeign to pop, melodies a more edgy and raw feel. Perhaps the greatest appeal of RED SUN Maiko’s unique smokey voice. She tends to keep a low tone and chops up the lines all the time rather than singing them straight, giving that sophisticated French chanteuse vibe at times.

Jdpk_VmksW0

IC3GuINTdVE

I think that description is a bit exaggerated, but definitely a great band, if you're looking for something relaxed, yet catchy.

I actually don't like the tag J-indies, or J-anything for that matter. Like VK - it pigeon-holes music that has no genre.

I think I am the senior in this group. Been listening to Japanese Indie bands since before Acidman went major and fighting rabid VK fans for recognition of something other than visual bands ever since.

Aion and cats - we listen to a lot of the same bands but we all have our particular interests. Though I have a soft spot for guitarmen, blues, garage, reggae, ska, and punk - I will say I have never met a genre I didn't like. Finding Japanese Indie a haven for every genre I was in the mood for. As band's have went major, I have cheered them on - that's what they worked for in the 1st place.

Te' will always be the forerunner of the instrumental scene and About Tess just makes their own niche. Though I predict, The Cabs are catching up with their idols and will be peers very soon. As for rock - Usotsuki Barbie [嘘つきバービー] is setting a creativity level that is hard to compete with. I just hope they survive going major.

wait wait wait

new mothercoat album?

WHERE DO I BUY THIS

whelp apparently not on itunes because the dutch one doesnt support paypal :\

Discovered some more japanese indie I like!

lloy - a gothic post-punk band, very interesting style, really enjoying this.

The Brixton Academy - indie-electro-pop band, addicted to "so shy"

Dry as dust is currently rocking my indie socks.

I love them! The high pitched vocals are what I'm all about. Not to mention, their music seems to be a great mix of catchy and mathy technical stuff. They seem so young though!

Se6SeK4JLd0

cuj-mcLBwK4

EK4WFJm2L10

PS: their albums are on US iTunes!

After a long time of going 'wtf am i hearing' when listening to 神聖かまってちゃん, I finally changed my mind and I really dig them now... Wow. Didn't expect that to ever happen o_O

I'm looking for bands that are sounds like andymori, telephones, susquatch (british inspired indie rock w/ male vocalist - i don't like the female fronted indie bands)~.

Thanks in advance ^^

edit: i also like te', africaemo, checzo no republic :)

For those similar to The Telephones, you may like The Molice/MOLICE for Vola & the Oriental Machine.

Molice isn't my cup of tea (cuz' the female vocalist), but the Vola is nice (Weekend lovers is such a good song). Thanks! :3

Whoops, sorry I forgot you put "no females." ^^

"Weekend Lovers" is a guilty pleasure of mine. Their major albums aren't as good as their early indie stuff though. I recommend trying Waiting for My Food and Android ~Like a house mannequin~.

Hope, I'm not posting this out of topic but, what do you guys think about promoting the Indie bands on MH by making threads about them, posting thoughts and rewievs and something like that? There might be a lot of ppl interested in it, but some disadvantage is that possibly the forum could burst at the seams. But overall, do you think it's a good idea?

^ It is a wonderful idea. I've actually tried doing it a couple of times in the past but my threads would get only one or two hits before dying so I got a bit discouraged. :/ However, since more people appear interested in the bands maybe there will be some actual conversation holdings rather than the usual "download 'n run" routine.

A friend recently told me about this band... They seem pretty interesting. They just released their first mini album.

XZIMFCJU55E

Also, I gotta hear the new Tokyokarankoron single, ASAP. I'm really loving their sound right now!

........and their vocalist/keyboardist couldn't be any cuter :wub::wub:

FYtTeWGwgvU

A friend recently told me about this band... They seem pretty interesting. They just released their first mini album.

XZIMFCJU55E

Also, I gotta hear the new Tokyokarankoron single, ASAP. I'm really loving their sound right now!

Seconding this, really liked their previous release!

Btw, who is intrested about the forthcoming (or already released?) the telephones album? There are some samples on youtube, and some songs, like Yeah Yeah Yeah sound promising! I like the 'electric - neonish' guitar sound, and I can't complain about those synths. Sometimes the first Klaxons came into my mind? What about you?

yXP5L_Jwyts

z3NDRTuXp5A

um...I actually JUST listened to the new telephones album (and I shall hook you up with it soon ;p).

I haven't listened to a lot of their material, but I liked it from what I heard...didn't really get a chance to "absorb" it, though since I was kinda distracted at the time.

um...I actually JUST listened to the new telephones album (and I shall hook you up with it soon ;p).

I haven't listened to a lot of their material, but I liked it from what I heard...didn't really get a chance to "absorb" it, though since I was kinda distracted at the time.

I never really tried them, even though many of my friends said that they are good, but once I went through the sample of "Yeah Yeah Yeah", and it got me interested. The screams, those guitars and the good use of synths are nice overall, and as I just said, I like that 'nu-rave/neonish' feeling of their music. Indie disco, haha!

Btw, anybody who is familiar with Suck a Stew Dry? They seem to play lighter post-rock with a touch of emo (think of the vocalist). Not something brand new, but nice.

BMpqfT7t1vs

hmm, is this a rock only thread or is pop also allowed?

I just found a piece of music that's really stuck in my head right now… it is indie-pop… very very nice an soothing, with an interesting video. Didn't know anything about the artist until now but since there are quite some experts around here (CAT?!?) I'll just post it, maybe you know them already… it's a band called "good-bye ponytail" (さよならポニーテール). They've got an album released earlier this year… according to the YT-views they are maybe not that small (quite some views for indies) ?

Qp0tspO6fbE

whitegrey....you can talk about anything "indie" here....doesn't matter, pop, rock, electronic, etc, etc

I've heard of Sayonara Pony Tail, but I've never listened to them before. That PV sounds really cool, though - so I may have to track their stuff down. I know they have at least one album on the nets somewhere ;3

Have you heard any of their releases yet?