CAT5

THE JAPANESE INDIE THREAD

I only found this site due to searching for stuff from some indie bands and finding aion mentioning them here. I stayed to occasionally check the download section. :P

hmmz, do I know you?

(nickname doesn't ring a bell at all)

niw, 昆虫キッズ heard only by name, really need to check out more by them :)

*waves hand* I'll find something more constructive to add in a little bit (since I'm kinda multi-tasking atm) but I do enjoy many of the bands already listed here and I'm glad to see this thread around. Also welcome KJI, glad you've come out of hiding.

昆虫キッズ really sound like a clone of shinsei kimattachan ( did i spell that right? ) to me

I've only heard caroline rocks's first mini album, but they're solid enough and I'm fairly interested in giving their new one "parallel." a listen. Have you heard it yet?

I've only heard their first mini-album as well. Haven't had a chance to find or buy Parallel.

is pegmap still around? I had no idea they released a new EP... I only have their old releases "HAVE A NICE DAY" and " see you"....

Yep. I guess they made a... come back.. I don't have it yet though.

UNCHAIN is good, but I have to admit that I've never really given the a fair listen. I do have a few of their releases laying around my HD, though...just need to remember to listen lol. From the songs I've heard so far, I do know that the vocalist's Engrrrish annoys me at times. ^^;;;
Yeah, that was really one of the few songs that struck out off that album.

I still need to find albums for both 八?八ヶ所巡礼 and クリープ??イプ.

昆虫キッズ really sound like a clone of shinsei kimattachan ( did i spell that right? ) to me

IMO 昆虫キッズ is overall less-grating on the ears and more produced... just the guy isn't able to sing. Instrumentals are pretty awesome.

hmmz, do I know you?

(nickname doesn't ring a bell at all)

Probably not. I did friend/leave a comment on your last.fm a while ago (under the nick kenjiikari), and I see you around j-indie sites a lot, though. :P

Does anyone like PETROLZ? The band is lead by the current guitarist of Tokyo Jihen. I really enjoy this band, actually.

dDWH6GzDfjc&feature=related

^ I've only seen the name around, but never bothered to listen. They do sound pretty nice, though...I'm just not very keen on the vocals.

I have to say that I'm really digging these fairly new indie-rockers. They're releasing a new mini album next month. It should be pretty good!

tSjaP8cxHw0

^ I've only seen the name around, but never bothered to listen. They do sound pretty nice, though...I'm just not very keen on the vocals.

I have to say that I'm really digging these fairly new indie-rockers. They're releasing a new mini album next month. It should be pretty good!

tSjaP8cxHw0

I've never heard of thay band you posted but they're amazing in that video

@Petrolz: I didn't like uki's vocal at first either but their style was...I dunno. It really got me.

I've been very slowly expanding my musical borders into indie, but I've got such a huge backlog of music to listen to that I rarely find the time to XD

I'll try and post about some bands that I like which haven't been featured here yet. I suck at writeups though, but I'll try and post videos at least XD

GREEN'S ROOM

HfTETjav9hI

They seem to be sorta around nowadays, but just having a few lives very far between :( I first found out about them through an older(2005?) indie VA that I bought on a whim.

????ト

b_It90M1oUk

They were posted here ages ago and I instantly loved them. It's been over 6 years since their last album though, but I'm still hoping that they'll decide to release something new since they're still around :(

ZILcoNIA

8k4DyNUjxzI

Technically they've been on a major label as of earlier this year, but I'll include them anyways XD They were my first indie band and were the band that helped me branch out more from just VK.

蟲??る??夜??

87WfBsXTjtk

Found out about this band since their vocalist was also in the band inchworm. Pretty awesome stuff as far as I can tell. I've never actually been able to find any of their cds or anywhere to buy them, but their videos on youtube are pretty amazing :v

OMG! Cinema Staff is like the perfect band for me - where were they all my life?!!! They even have a beautiful singer who is physically beautiful too. T_______T I'm going to buy all their CD's now!

I've only heard a single or two by cinema staff, but indeed, the vocalist is pleasant and the music is a'ight.

But, as petty as this is, I watched some PV by them and I got this horrible vibe of douchiness from the guitarist, haha!

I've only watched a few music videos of them and heard clips of their songs on iTunes, surprisingly. xD

I found them on accident when listening to mudy on the sakuban samples. The vocals really are a plus for me; it is difficult to find GOOD male singers in the indie rock world these days it seems - you can find "okay" ones and decent ones but not GOOD ones, lol.

^ yeah cinema staff are quite good. Great mix of pop sensibilities and raw, indie ingenuity ;]

Also, I'd like everyone to check out the album I just posted here

nayuta's solar ribbon, solar children is an ABSOLUTE MUST HEAR. It's an incredibly obscure album from an incredibly obscure band, but a it's a total gem! I'd recommend it to all J-indie fans! :3

I'm not surprised a lot of you here like Cinema Staff. Singer probably has the closest visual kei-voice of all j-indie bands. :P

I'm not surprised a lot of you here like Cinema Staff. Singer probably has the closest visual kei-voice of all j-indie bands. :P

It''s funny, A friend of mine said the exact same thing, but I never thought that his voice was particularly "vk-sounding"....he does have a very poppy and even theatrical singing style, though - and from that standpoint, I can see him being compared to a VK vocalist.

btw, you should check out our thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9422

Lots of cool stuff is being posted, and I plan to share tons more... :3

oh, and the new Metro-Ongen album is NIIIIIIIIICE!

I do hear a tiny similarity to visual kei in some songs. On the contrary though, one of the reasons I bothered to look into the band is because the vocals DON'T sound all that typical visual kei, lol. He's not quite as nasally/forced operatic and he doesn't massively abuse the vibrato or falsetto techniques. (You'll have to give me the benefit of the doubt considering I haven't heard much visual kei so I probably am unaware of how everyone is singing these days).

When I heard their songs, I first thought about J-POP style singers actually. 0__0

And I'm sure I've said this before, but cool that y'all are making threads like that, CAT5. Keep it up, and don't forgot to put some Anthem or Number Girl up there haha! ;)

Just in case you all don't check the new releases thread, I dug up some new/upcoming releases that should appeal to indie fans ;]

2011/06/22 - absentmindedness - Blind e.p.

2011/06/22 - coffee&cigarettes band - Sessions

2011/06/22 - musiquo musiqua - musiquo musiqua

2011/06/22 - white white sisters - spectrachroma

2011/06/22 - 森ゆに - 夜をくぐる

2011/06/29 - SHE TALKS SILENCE - Some Small Gifts

2011/06/29 - Soul Source Production - Soul Source Production presents Mellow FEEL

2011/07/06 - COMEBACK MY DAUGHTERS - Outta Here

2011/07/06 - Lyu:Lyu - 太陽になろうとした鵺

2011/07/06 - PLASTIC GIRL IN CLOSET - cocoro

2011/07/06 - SuiseiNoboAz - THE (OVERUSED) END OF THE WORLD and I MISS YOU MUH-FUH

2011/07/06 - THE TON-UP MOTORS - Hey!!, people

2011/07/06 - WHITE ASH - WALTZ WITH VALKYRIE

2011/07/06 - suzumoku - Ni

2011/07/06 - よしむらひらく - はじめなかおわり

2011/07/06 - 空中ループ - Walk across the universe EP

2011/07/06 - 二階堂和美 - 未定

2011/07/20 - Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro - The Preacher

2011/07/20 - SLY MONGOOSE - wrong colors

2011/07/20 - THE HEAVYMANNERS - SURVIVAL

2011/07/20 - Takahiro Kido - Fairy Tale

2011/07/20 - Yucca - Untitled

2011/07/20 - dry as dust - ノンフィクション

2011/07/20 - thai kick murph - DELTAATTACK

2011/07/20 - 昆虫キッズ - 裸足の兵隊

2011/07/27 - UPLIFT SPICE - パラダイムシフト

2011/07/29 - Kashiwa Daisuke - BB

2011/08/03 - 6EYES - Flush

2011/08/03 - Calm - SUNSET LOUNGE

2011/08/03 - Lighter190E - acrimony

2011/08/03 - THE PINBALLS - ten bear(s)

2011/08/03 - シュリスペイロフ - untitled

2011/08/03 - 秀吉 - くだらないうた

2011/08/05 - world's end girlfriend - ending story

2011/08/10 - DORIAN - untitled

2011/08/10 - MALEGOAT - Plan Infiltration

2011/08/10 - mudy on the 昨晩 - mudy in the squall

2011/08/24 - クラムボン - はなさくいろは

2011/08/24 - 犬神サーカス団 - untitled

Cool list, REALLY hyped about many releases from the list! It's especially good to hear that Dorian and Mountain Mocha will also release a new album. ;]

new MMK is always a good thing - they've yet to disappoint.

I'm looking forward to a lot from that list as well, but I'm especially curious about the new thai kick murph. There was a rumor around last year that the band would be breaking up, but I'm glad they're still together. They're one of the most promising underground-pop bands I've heard in the past few years. I was completely enamored with their debut despite the poor production....can't wait to see how the new one sounds!

btw, has anyone heard the new mothercoat album "egobag" yet?

I'm thinking about putting together a little indie mix specifically for the members that frequent this indie-thread. Of course, It'll consist entirely of unknown/obscure stuff that most of you have probably never heard of before. But firstly, would you all even be interested in such a thing?

If enough people are interested, then I'll put one together. Just trying to spice this thread up a bit ;D

I'm thinking about putting together a little indie mix specifically for the members that frequent this indie-thread.

If enough people are interested, then I'll put one together. Just trying to spice this thread up a bit ;D

Yes, please! :staru:

Count me in, too.

Also, since I finish my exam period on Friday, I can promise, that I will write a longer critic about it. :3