Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

the GazettE - SHIVER

Let's just say this single is a gas, or a liquid, but not a solid.
Well, how about not spongy, or full of matter, or impenetrable, or not hollow?

But no, it was an alright single, quite full of matter actually. ?? was definitely the highlight of the single for me, whereas SHIVER just left me cold. Not sure how I feel about Hesitating Means Death, though. It wasn't necessarily a bad song, but it didn't excite me much either. Overall, not spongy.

Kind of a late review, but I was without battery loader which means no computer.

SHIVER - Didn't think it was that impressive when I first heard it, it reminded me of one of their earlier songs: REGRET from the STACKED RUBBISH album. After a few listens (make it 20) it started to grow on me. I really like the solo. It doesn't sound like the GazettE at all, but in my opinion SHIVER is a nice track. 8/10

HESITATING MEANS DEATH - When I first heard THIS one, I was totally sold. I love everything about this song, especially the chorus. The heavy riffs at the end were kind of disappointing, they could've tried to play more than those two notes. 9/10

Naraku - After the first and second song were leaked I already thought this would be a slower track. It's a great track, but not the best one on the single. Their number one slow track is still Chizuru for me, so that's the reason why I'm always hard on their slow songs. This could've easily been on DIM, even though I didn't like DIM (except for DISTRESS&COMA, LEECH & Headache Man). This will certainly grow on me even more, maybe as much as Chizuru did (which I can say is probably my favorite J-Rock song ever). 8/10

Overall: 8,5/10

A very solid release by the GazettE, and very promising for their next album. Although they should put HESITATING MEANS DEATH and not SHIVER on the album.

Guess what, i started liking Shiver.

Shiver is just a really solid track. Way too reminiscent of some of their older songs though, but it bothers me none.

8/10

Hesitating means death... Urgh. The chorus was okay until the "Wooahs", but other than that i can't find anything positive to say. I guess the riff was supposed to be super awesome, but it really is not. Also Ruki sounds dreadful

2/10

Naraku was it? This song just doesn't stick with me. I always forget what it was like. I remember it being somewhat decent but still very forgettable.

4/10

Shiver is the only one i keep listening and i really like it.

I don't really find myself liking this single after even several listens. :/ It just sounded like another typical songs of theirs and nothing memorable enough to point out what's so special about it; though HESITATING MEANS DEATH and Naraku did have some interesting parts inside. 5.5/10; disappointing release.

Some people here seem to praise naruku to the skies, but i really dont get the hype on (over?) that song. I simply don't find it that solid :/

It creates a good atmosphere and is technically superior to Shiver. I find it a bit similar to Kyoum.. K.... WHATEVER THAT B-SIDE WAS FROM GUREN.

Have you noticed:

Shiver - up-tempo pop song

Hesitating Means Death - the heavy song

Naraku or whatever - somewhere inbetween

their label probably dictates this. whatever happened to artistic freedom? I've been thinking about how this relates to The GazettE and i feel that if given their artistic freedom to make any kind of single they wanted, they have a lot of potential to be a really great band. It's unfortunate this potential goes wasted on being told what kind of music they will give to their audience.

^Nah, there was another b-side along with Kugutsue. "?????? ??????" (don't remember the romaji). The drum patterns are kinda similar, and the overall structure of the song as well.

Shiver - Lack luster generic pulp reminiscent of earlier styles. I find the song un-listenable and terrible. It's not good for the ears. 3/10

HESITATING MEANS DEATH - Annoying. I can't stand it. It makes me feel like I have a hang over. I can't stand what Ruki does with his voice. The drums are like a migraine that could cripple a healthy individual for life. The guitar is like children screeching in your ears after a night of drinking vodka and Jeigermeister. But it's better than Shiver. 4/10

Naraku - Listening to it makes me feel like I'm listening to a band with a completely different skill set than what was done with the other songs. It's baffling. The song creates a great atmosphere and I can't really find anything bad to say about it. 8.5/10

Now for my mid afternoon joint.

^Nah, there was another b-side along with Kugutsue. "?????? ??????" (don't remember the romaji). The drum patterns are kinda similar, and the overall structure of the song as well.
Kyomu no Owari Hakozume no Mokushi should be the romanized version of it. I should go compare and see for myself...

Love all 3 songs. Glad they have embraced their softer, more melodic side again with the title track. This might be my favourite single from them so far.

9/10

Love all 3 songs. Glad they have embraced their softer, more melodic side again with the title track. This might be my favourite single from them so far.

9/10

...What?

Guest Naru

yeah again many gazette fans are bashing gazette if they release a single who did sell pretty well in the first week! but not on the first day :P

well, this single isn't bad, and it does really sound very nice in my ears ^^

I like The gazette this way ^^

Sign in to follow this