Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

the GazettE - SHIVER

ok, let's do this again :spin:

SHIVER is a solid single that's reminiscent of the band's pre-DIM material. All 3 songs are well done refinements of earlier styles, but since the material is so familiar, it lacks in freshness and struggles to be as memorable or catchy as a single ought to be.

I like the 2nd b-side "??" the most. Not bad overall, but I just need the gazette to give me a LITTLE bit more next time!

shiver - regret was superior. [shiver though I like it parts, simply irritates me for some reason]

hesitating means death - it had its highlights, I preferred the stacked rubbish counterparts. [and mention of nameless liberty ftw][though the song also irritates me...]

?? - best song. it's been a while since I CARED for a b-side by them.

Can't be bothered to go into detail.

1.) Shiver: Boring.

2.) hesitating means death: Good but not great.

3.) Naraku: Meh, better than shiver.

They went back to NIL I suppose.

Shiver

I've told my opinion about this song many times already. It's a nice solid song, though it's far from their best. 8/10

Hesitating Means Death

First I thought it was gonna be another pointless boring heavy song, but then the chorus kicked in and it turned out to be pretty good. The song progression reminds me of Disorder era. Heavy riff - heavy verse - catchy punky chorus etc. The chorus is really cool, and so is the post-chorus. But the heavy parts are kinda lame. Especially the one in the end. Yay, two notes? Come on, you can do better than that. But because of the choruses, I'll give it. 7/10

Naraku

Kinda like a slow version of HMD. Except the heavy parts are way more better. And I just love the guitar solo. Great atmosphere. Chorus again, very well done. Ruki sounds especially good here. And I noticed the basslines, which is kinda rare with Gazette. I was actually surprised how good they were. 8/10

I still don't get the SR reference. There's no female vocals, no faggy rapping, now soft jazzy guitars. The only even remotely similar track is Hyena. Just because Shiver starts with a chorus, the overall sound is completely different when compared to Regret. And the song is better too. Anyway, it's much better that Before I Decay, but miles away from DIM. I hope they go more experimental next time.

I still don't get the SR reference. There's no female vocals, no faggy rapping, now soft jazzy guitars. The only even remotely similar track is Hyena. Just because Shiver starts with a chorus, the overall sound is completely different when compared to Regret. And the song is better too. Anyway, it's much better that Before I Decay, but miles away from DIM. I hope they go more experimental next time.

Just because these songs don't remind you of the same songs, doesn't qualify a wrong comment on my part.

Hesitation is all about the english like circle of swindler and Mob 136 Bars, but since they've already done that, this does nothing. Albeit it is slightly better, they're still in the same vein, doesn't help much to separate itself.

And it's all about the intro in terms of shiver. These resemblances are what bothers me most.

Though to be honest, I WISH it was more like NIL, but that's not going to happen.

[and for your information, I HATED DIM. save for distress, NAKIGAHARA, and dim scene][sR also sucked, but seriously]

-end, I've said what I've thought and that's that.

Shiver

Even though I still hardly have anything positive to say about this, it has somewhat grown on me. I'm not looking forward to hearing this on their next album though.

Hesitating Means Death

First off, that lame ass "whoooa whooooa" thing in the chorus has been overdone by them so many times in the past it's not even funny. Ruins an otherwise very surprisingly good chorus. The heavy parts are disappointing on the grounds that they feel so empty. A bit of a stick-out riff here and there throughought those parts would've done wonders for it, but they didn't bother. Especially after the second chorus. That part could've been so much better but it falls flat. Somehow though I do still like it. As someone who generally hates that whole VK trend of having heavy verses (terribly) blend into poppy choruses, I think this pulls it off fairly well.

Naraku

Best song on the single. Could've fit pretty well into DIM. They really should do atmospheric stuff like this more often. Thing is though, as surprisingly good as Ruki sounds, I can't get Gackt out of my head. Which is annoying, frankly. I love the drum pattern in the intro though. Nothing complicated but it's a joy to listen to. Seriously hope their next single expands on this. Just with less Gackty-vocals please, Ruki. I don't want them losing any of that magic that made DIM so amazing. And this somewhat regained my hope for that.

Don't care about numbers. I'll just say I generally liked it for the b-sides.

SHIVER I think it's a nice song, but to be honest: the only band I like playing choruses at the beginning of a song is Sadie. I fairly like the chorus though, I even catch my self singing it here and there.

3/5

HESITATING MEANS DEATH I'm not digging the whole punk rock chorus + heavy riffs combo they have done here. Also what's up with the slowed down breakdown half way through the song? I had to double check to make sure my computer wasn't lagging the audio. I really like the intro and ending, so that kinda saved the song for me.

2.5/5

?? Much better than the other two songs. I was so expecting this to be a ballad, but this is nicer. Ruki sounds really nice. And the instrumentals where played off nicely. I'm really digging Kai's drumming though, which is weird because I've always though he was a horrible drummer.

4/5

Guest o hai itz will

the GazettE was worrying me with Before I Decay, but they surely do not disappoint with Shiver. The opening track (Shiver) though nothing FUCKING GODLY, is certainly a strong song. It highlights the past of the band, and even the potential future of what may lie ahead. This will be a very good song to have on their upcoming album, because of the honest simplicity of it. Also, it's sure to be a crowd pleaser.

Hesitating Means Death is a very powerful track. I am sick of the band attempting the whole Metal genre because Ruki can not scream / growl even if his life depended on it (other than that the rest of the band is great!), but this song caught me by suprise. Though the intro and verse are very heavy, the chorus and bridge completely switch into something that sounds like Shiver. In this regard the release in general is very strong, due to the flow of the tracks. And then all of a sudden, a hardcore breakdown? This made me laugh but was very good to listen to.

Naraku exceeds classification. It opens up with some electronic beat, which bleeds into a heavy GazettE-standard Drop B riff with a keyboard track in the shadow of its presence. This should have been the TRUE single due to the amount of death that this song has. Very powerful, and very memorable.

Overall if I were to rate it, I would give it an 8.5/10 due to the strong effort by the band. It's 10x better than Before I Decay, and on that note, far more enjoyable.

?? is my fave from the whole single

i wont get into detail. Here's what i think from best.

?? > Hesitating Means Death > SHIVER

I thought Shiver was good. Not great, but listenable and somewhat catchy.

Hesitating Means Death I didn't like much at all. There were moments of it that I liked a lot, but overall... wasn't impressed.

Naraku was my favorite, The only one I give a 10/10 to.

Honestly,

i was bored beyond belief. I enjoyed it at first listen and then after that I got extremely bored. I understand some may think this was a solid single and I would understand why. But in my opinion I was not impressed one bit.

The tracks were pretty bland nothing really special. I like their lynch. covers alot though! ;D

Shiver - 8/10 - Solid song.

HESISTATING MEANS DEATH - 8.5/10 - Very addictive. The best of the single.

Naraku - 7.5/10 - Didn't like it after 2 or 3 listens, but is a solid one too.

Shiver: solid I guess, but it does not feel like a new song at all, they've done this before. I don't mind if they repeat a certain style, but at least change the song 5/10

Hesitating Means Death: interesting, actually a good song here, nothing special but it does the job 7/10

Naraku: best on this single obviously, very atmospheric as said before, more of this please 9/10

I don't know. I actually thought SHIVER was pretty good. I liked the whole "Miseinen" era feel the track had, even if it was a bit weak compared to Miseinen. Would listen again.

HESITATING MEANS DEATH was the weakest song on the single. The breakdown was typical and Ruki's WHOA's during the verse ruined what otherwise would have been a solid song. Not too bad but not my favorite.

Naraku ends off this single with goodness. I can't even say it's a DIM leftover. It feels like they tried to make another atmospheric DIM track in the present and this is what came out. They should keep going in this direction because it works and they're good at it.

And for the first time I heard Kai and Reita do something other than vegetate. Good stuff ;D

Alright single. Not their best but better than Before I Decay.

...ruined what otherwise would have been a SOLID song...

Oh Jesus.

I am going to haunt this thread until a more descriptive word is used to describe this single. Can someone get a thesaurus please?

...ruined what otherwise would have been a SOLID song...

Oh Jesus.

I am going to haunt this thread until a more descriptive word is used to describe this single. Can someone get a thesaurus please?

plsdontmind.gif

haha. :P

and, as for the reviews. What can i say, all i like to post have been posted by all of you here.

I enjoyed Shiver, HESITATING MEANS DEATH is a cool title but is a ordinary music sadly

and Naraku sounds so good. I wish some more of this from them.

The verdict, this single are way more enjoyable that the last one

and no more (or less) nu metal a la gazerock here. Thankfully.

Sign in to follow this