The general Metal discussion thread

Negura Bunget news:

We are happy to announce our new album will be entitled ZI (“day”/”say”). As the second part of the Transilvanian Trilogy, ZI will focus on the human elements, on the traditions, practices and beliefs that shaped the spiritual horizon of the local inhabitants. The album will be released later this year by Prophecy Productions on some special editions we are already developing.

The band's not been the same after Sol Faur and Hupogrammos left, but I still like everything they've done till now and is very much looking forward to this.

Saw the mighty Mgła last night and a host of local Hungarian bands!

Svoid opened the night with their interesting 'dark' metal that combined traditional black metal with more melodic and atmospheric approaches. They had a great sense of ritual and atmosphere, but the music itself was kinda sub-par and awkwardly put-together for me (weird, cuz on record they sound pretty badass). The second act of the night, Dunkelheit was much better, especially in terms of sound: crushing two-guitar black metal attack. A cool destructive and sinister vibe, but the same kind of song structures got tiring after a while. The last 'opening' act (even though all bands played roughly 45-50 mins) was Lepra, who were pretty sweet as well. They created a good dark ambience and their style was more varied, switching to some really cool melodies and mid-tempo headbangers. They were really professional. The icing on the cake was a cover of Mayhem's "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" at the end with guest vocals from Svoid's frontman. Then came Mgła and destroyed us all, heh. Very powerful mood. The overdriven bass guitar was absolutely crazy, gave a killer 'cutting' feel to the music. The crowd got into it a lot more too, which was good to watch (it was a sold-out gig anyway). All in all, an awesome night - it's just that almost 4 hours of straight-up black metal messed with my head a bit, lol.

Mgla is nothing less than a FORCE live. Saw them live in 2014 or 2015, and it was impressive. I mean, everything from their stage pressence to the sound to the music itself and to the attitude was spot on. It was one hell of a concert!

I'm seeing the band live again in mach on a local black metal mini-festival, Laudata Nex Magicka II. Last year offered Cult of Fire, Urfaust, Mare, Vemod, Bölzer and Sortilega over two evenings and all bands were fantastic live. This year we'll get Mgla, The Ruins of Beverast, Execration, Dark Sonority, One Tail, One Head and Slagmaur. I doubt this years festival will top last year (Cult of Fire SLAYED! One of the best concerts I've been to!), but it should be fun. I've seen four of the bands live before (Mgla, Execration, One Tail, One Head and Slagmaur) and two of them will surely deliver. One Tail, One Head was mediocre when I saw them some years ago and Slagmaur were poor in 2014 or 2015. Hope both do better this time around.

Dark Sonority, which is pretty much a continuation of Kaosritual, have been hailed by black metal fans for their beyond good concerts, so I am looking very much forward to that.  The band consists of members and ex-members of bands such as Kaosritual, Vemod, Mare, Behexen, Black Majesty, Celestial Bloodshed, One Tail, One Head and more. So we're talking extremely experienced members. Looking forward to the gig.

The Ruin of Beverast is one hell of a band, and along with Mgla the band I am looking forward to seeing the most. Unique atmospheric black/doom metal. The solo project of Alexander von Meilenwald, previosly of the german black metal band Nagelfar (not to be confused with the swedish melodic black metal band Naglfar!). Can't wait!

The lead at 1.40 pretty much sums of this band. Powerful!

^ Have fun! :D I don't know any of those artists (except for Cult of Fire and Bölzer), but the song you linked sounds pretty awesome. Will have to check that out.

Been listening to this black metal project Cobalt lately, a friend of mine called my attention to it. Pretty awesome destructive atmosphere. Heard he/they will release a huge double album in March. Should be something to look out for.

Discovered these guys recently. They're pretty amazing. A good mix of melodic and technical death metal. Miasmic Mutation was a great and surprise underground release for 2015. Brutal, technical and evil.

Love that tasty riifage. :rock:

Really looking forward to it. Meanwhile I'll just enjoy this classic:

She's a bitch with a bulletbelt
She's got the biggest tits you've ever felt

Mmmmh! Yeah, baby!

Just discovered this little gem from last year:

490669.jpg

Luciferian Rites - When the Light Dies

Mexican band that worships Finnish black metal. If you're familiar with and like Sargeist you'll surely enjoy this. 100% Sargeist worship, and everything from the cover art to the music is 100% Sargeist-esque. Surprisingly well-produced, but not so much that it takes anything away from the music. There's plenty atmosphere here. Melancholic black metal at its finest.

The vocals are a bit over the top and might be a turn-off for a lot, but I enjoy them a lot. The music is fantastic!

Sam Dunn (he of Headbanger's Journey etc.) has started a new series called 'Metal Journeys', going to places he hasn't been to see what the scenes are like. Apparantly starting with South Africa.  I don't think he's ever managed to dig deep enough into the scene and different subcultures, so this is a welcomed mini-series. However, it looks like the episodes are way too short, though- 7-8 minutes or something. Wish he'd do Botswana has one of the most interesting and coolest metal scenes in the world.

botsmetal.jpg

http://joelgrind.bandcamp.com/album/davie-allan-joel-grind-split

Toxic Holocaust mainman Joel Grind is releaseing a new split under his Joel Grind monicker. He released the fantastic Motörhead, Venom and Bathory influenced speed/black metal masterpiece The Yellowgoat Sessions in 2013, as well as a few singles, and now he finally returns with two track of fuzzed out surf rock in a split together with legendary surf rock guitarist Davie Allan. I like both tracks presented on the bandcamp page, and I really look forward to hearing the two others. Two great artists here!

Also: Joel Grin > Toxic Holocaust post-Hell on Earth

Fact!

It took me a long time to start enjoying Vektor, but I'm slowly becoming a big fan of the band and this might be the best thing I've heard from the guys so far. I enjoy both full-lenghts, but I find both heavily flawed. Some of the time signatures and complexity have always felt a bit forced to me, as if they're there just because they want to do something "weird" and "special"  and not because they actually add anything to the song. And judging from the new songs they've released, they seem to take a step or two away from the Obliveon- and Coroner-sound they've had and lean a bit more towards straighter death/thrash like Destruction, Sadus, Atheist and Hellwitch. Still progressive, but a lot straighter and way more natural IMO.

Also, superb cover art once again. Digging their sci-fi theme. Sci-fi is always awesome!

Song from the upcoming Desaster album The Oath of an Iron Ritual:

Black/thrash in the vein of Nifelheim, Bathory, Sabbat and Destroyer 666

That sounds great. Sounds a lot better than their previous two albums. Looking forward to this!

Song from the upcoming Blizaro album, Cornucopia della morte: http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2016/02/23/blizaro-cornucopia-della-morte-nemesis-stream/

Progressive rock/doom in the vein of Italian bands like Goblin, Paul Chain and Black Hole.

Sounds great!

Two songs from the upcoming Wytch Hazel album, Prelude: http://wytchhazel.bad-omen-records.com/

Heavy rock in the vein of Thin Lizzy and Pagan Altar.

Sounds very good!

Greek black metallers Ithaqua will also release an EP this year. Last years demo was among the best of 2015, so my expectations are up high. Very, very high! No song online yet, though. But this will be massive!

http://capeofbats.bandcamp.com/

After five demos, one EP, three splits and two live albums, vampyric black metal/punk act Cape of Bats got their debut album out last year. I think the album is fantastic! For most part it's a mix of black metal and punk, but every now and then theygo into deathrock territory, which I feel comes very clear on the magnificent Ultimate Evil (featuring Rikk Agnew of Christian Death). Great atmosphere, and at times, especially on a song such as Night of the Buck Knives, I get a real nice, campy feeling. Thoughts go to things such as 45 Grave, The Munsters and Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. Highly recommended!

THey got lots of stuff up for free on bandcamp btw.

551006.jpg

I'll easily recommend this album. It took me a long time to get into their debut, but now I more or less worship it. This sounds equally good. The band just continue what they were doing on their debut album: Thrash/death in the vein of old Kreator, Sepultura and Sadus. As straight-forward as it gets, but great as fuck.

The only thing I don't like is the bass solo. No need for it at all.

I'm getting so excited when looking at the tracklist for the upcoming Vektor album. What excites me isn't the titles themself, but the song lenghts. Long progressive thrash songs.

1. Charging the Void 09:11
2. Cygnus Terminal 08:15
3. LCD (Liquid Crystal Disease) 07:33
4. Mountains Above the Sun 01:22
5. Ultimate Artificer 05:04
6. Pteropticon 06:00
7. Psychotropia 07:39
8. Pillars of Sand 05:19
9. Collapse 09:22
10. Recharging the Void 13:36

That's really lenghty songs for a thrash metal band. The albums clocks in at no less than 73:21, and I know there's a 5 minute bonus track for it too. Lenghty!

darkfuneralwhereshadowscd.jpg

It's been ages since Dark Funeral did anything of value (Diabolis Interium, 2001), but that cover art is really nice. Got a classic Necrolord-vibe to it, and it sure does resemble The Secrets of the Black Arts it tone and feeling. Makes me a bit curious about the album to be honest. Hope for something less polished this time around. I exect more of the same, though.

Awwwww damn! Laudata Nex Magicka II was good. As good as the first one I Dare say. Blæst is a fantastic place for concerts as well. The sound is always top notch.

Slagmaur kicked off day one, and I was quite surprised. Saw them at Inferno last year or the year before and they were awful. While not fantastic this time around, they did a lot better and the chick they had on stage for a couple of songs had one hell of a powerful voice. Shame about the playback and the masks which looks like cheap masks from a Halloween store, but I was entertained and the playback is excusted as the previous vocalist died only a couple of weeks ago. 6/10

Mgla was next band up, and they were once again beyond brilliant. What a fantastic live band they are. Their delivery is as tight as it gets, and their attitude is amazing. 10/10

One Tail, One Head was the last band of day one and it was amazing. Last time I saw them I was quite disappointed, but this time around they impressed me hella lot. Intense, destructive and ugly. Great grig! 8/10

Execration kicked off day two, and despite playing death metal on a black metal festival they felt like they fitted right in and what a gig it was. Superb from begining to end! Best gig I've seen from them. 9/10

The Ruins of Beverast was massive. Heavy as fuck, and I never noticed that they lacked a guitarist. Due a double booking I was told they lacked one member, but from the sound and performance itself I never noticed anything. Superb! 8/10

Dark Sonority was given the honor of ending the festival, and what an ending it was. I'm not too familiar with Dark Sonority, but I am familiar with Kaosritual as they were called when Steingrim Torson was still alive. As with Mare who played last year and share some members, this is more like an occult ritual than a traditional gig. They looked fantastic, the delivery was spot on, the atmosphere was thick as vocalist Blix (Vemod, Mare, Black Majesty) led on with his magick. He's one hell of a frontman, as seen in Mare and Vemod last year, Not in a traditional sense, because he doesn't do much out of himself. He just stands there and do some signs with his arms, turns his back to the crowd and just continue with his signs. But he's captivating and just knows exactly what he's doing. Fantastic gig! Seond best only to Mgla. 10/10

Slagmaur:

Slagmaur-768x512.jpg

Mgla:

MGLA-768x512.jpg

One Tail, One Head:

One-Tail-One-Head-768x512.jpg

Execration:

Execration-768x512.jpg

The Ruins of Beverast:

Ruins-of-Beverast-768x512.jpg

Dark Sonority:

Dark-Sonority-768x512.jpg

Not my pictures.

Already looking forward to next year, and this was a nice build up to the four day party that is Inferno festival. Had three people over for the weekend, and next week we travel to Oslo and to one of them to live there for four days. Jesus, I dno't know if my body can't take this. Heh.

>Ctrl+F

>No Gorguts

What is this guys :( I thought they still had some relevancy in this community:

At least it's airier and the execution seems to be more "aggressive" than it was on "Coloured Sands" #positivethoughts