The general Metal discussion thread

Since I love Hour of Penance, and also Mauro Mercurio's drumming no homo, I kinda feel ashamed I didn't take a look at Mercurio's latest project EYECONOCLAST. This is 2 years old now, but it's a great piece of brutal death metal with alot of classic death metal elements, as well as thrash influences (Vader incoming). This shit's not just brutal, it got alot of substance. For the same reason I love Vader so much, it's the relatively simple riff work that just gets stuck in your head. Alot of bands this time (like Cannibal Corpse especially) think the more complex, the better. But this is just not true. This band for me is a nice reminder how simple sweet Death Metal used to be in the 90's and shortly after, when bands didn't try to compete for complexity and technique yet.

I really dug this one here

Say what the fuck you want about Thor as a band, Thor as a musician, his imagery and so on, but this song is easily among the 5 best heavy/power metal songs ever. And both Only the Strong and Unchained are classics. Heavy/power metal in the vian of Heavy Load and Manowar and so on. Fantastic!

thor.jpg

The man himself is an actor as well, and have appeared in the horror films Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare and Zombie Nightmare, both which is totally recommended. Not because they are good, but because they are awesome as fuck.

not their best but ok

Since I love Hour of Penance, and also Mauro Mercurio's drumming no homo, I kinda feel ashamed I didn't take a look at Mercurio's latest project EYECONOCLAST. This is 2 years old now, but it's a great piece of brutal death metal with alot of classic death metal elements, as well as thrash influences (Vader incoming). This shit's not just brutal, it got alot of substance. For the same reason I love Vader so much, it's the relatively simple riff work that just gets stuck in your head. Alot of bands this time (like Cannibal Corpse especially) think the more complex, the better. But this is just not true. This band for me is a nice reminder how simple sweet Death Metal used to be in the 90's and shortly after, when bands didn't try to compete for complexity and technique yet.

I really dug this one here

I can't say I hear much Vader listening to Eyeconoclast, but I do hear quite a lot Crown of Thorns/The Crown in their sound, and everything up until Crowned in Terror should be interesting for you. Eyeconoclast also included a cover of the classic The Crown song "Executioner - Slayer of the Light" on their last album.

Crown of Thorns/The Crown were fantastic up until Crowned in Terror.

635888625372028308.jpg

Finnish pagan metal act MOONSORROW will release its brand-new, seventh studio album "Jumalten Aika" - which means 'The Age Of Gods' in English - via Century Media Records."There are a lot more folk music influences present in "Jumalten Aika" than earlier", comments Henri Sorvali (Guitars, keyboards & vocals). "This time around, they are more deeply integrated to the overall sound. "Jumalten Aika" is like a circling wolf biting the hardest when you would never expect it. The music is unchained aggression, deep mysteries of the North and thundering witchcraft combined together in a molten forge of the Gods and reminds us all of something that never left our blood and soil.

"Jumalten Aika" track-listing:
1. Jumalten Aika (12:43)
2. Ruttolehto incl. Päivättömän Päivän Kansa (15:21)
3. Suden Tunti (7:06)
4. Mimisbrunn (15:55)
5. Ihmisen Aika (Kumarrus Pimeyteen) (16:00)

Bonus disc:
1. Soulless (Grave cover) (3:18)
2. Non Serviam (Rotting Christ cover) (5:10)

Oh fuck yeah! I can't wait for this.

borknagarwinterthricecd.jpg

These guys are getting better with each release, this is crazy. Solid release from Borknagar.

By the way I don't know if it was already mentioned on here but Rotting Christ already dropped some songs from their upcoming album "Rituals" (you can go check them out on their channel). It sounds solid as hell, one of the 2016 metal releases I'm looking forward the most. 

Gojira also seem ready to kick some butts in 2016, they haven't dropped any previews yet but it's promising. 

Borknagar getting better with each release? Craziest thing I've heard in a long while. I couldn't gisagree more to be honest. The Olden Domain (10/10) > Borknagar (9/10) > The Archaic Course (8/10) > Quintessence (7/10) > Empiricism (6/10). Epic, Origin, Universal and Urd are crap.

Actually looking forward to Winter Thrice though. The two songs I've heard are easily the best since Quintessence, especially the song with Garm, Lazare, Vortrx and Vintersorg singing together. Very good song, and based on that alone it's a way better album than the previous four.

Only listened to Universal and Urd before, so yeah my bad lol. Still gotta check out the previous releases tho.

Forgot to point out that Moonsorrow release by the way, which I'm also looking forward to listen to. Can't wait!

Also, here's a complete list of all the metal releases I'm waiting for:

- Gojira 
- Moonsorrow 
- Myrath
- Rotting Christ
- Schammasch
- Tool (not sure tho)
- Cirith Gorgor
- Deströyer 666 
- Crimson Moonlight

This Cirith Gorgor song has me really hyped for the album. 

baphomet_wade2.jpg

One of the best metal albums from 2015, guys. This ain't gonna please your average black metal fan as this is weird as fuck, but if you like different you might like this. It's unique in every way possible, it's cool and it's brilliant. The guitar playing and riffing here is incredible, and I have never heard anything like it. Lots of thrash and heavy metal, and at times some doom (but a lot less then on previous albums), but at its very core it's experimental black metal unlike everything you've ever heard. This is fantastic, and I've been playing it a lot lately.

But as weird as the album is, as far as Furze goes this is probably his most accessible album since his debut. A fine starting point, but if you'd end up not liking this I'd recommend checking out the rest of the band's back catalogue because every album is different.

It's impossible to find any tracks online, and as far as I know this is the only one: https://soundcloud.com/furze-29250360/goat-cyclus

Fantastic song, fantastic album. But this isn't the best song on the album, though. There's 5-6 songs that's better.

As far as 2016 albums goes, I have a lot I am lookign forward too:

Striker - Stand in the Fire

Heavy/speed metal in the vein of Enforcer, but unlike Enforcer this band is actually good.

Ravensire - The Cycle Never Ends

Epic heavy metal in the vein of Manilla Road, Omen, Ironsword and so on.

Urgehal - Aeons in Sodom

Old school, thrashy black metal in the vein of Beastcraft, Tsjuder, Krypt and so on. First album since 09.

Gehennah - Too Loud to Live, Too Drunk to Die

Venom and Motörhead-esque black/thrash. First album since 1997(!!!).

Ningen-Isu - 怪談 そして死とエロス

Heavy/doom metal with lots of Black Sabbath, Pentagram and Rush in the sound.

Baphomet's Blood - In Satan We Trust

Speed metal in the vein of Venom, Motörhead and Bulldozer.

The Fog - Perpetual Blackness

Death/doom with strong Goatlod-vibes.

Ketzer - Starless

Black/thrash in the vein of Desaster, Cruel Force and so on.

Abigail - The Final Damnation

Black/thrash metal mayhem in the vein of Venom, Bathory, Sabbat, N.M.E and Bulldozer. First album since 2010!

Chthe'ilist - Le Dernier Crépuscule

Death metal in the vein of Demilich. Great band and album!

Wildernessking - Mystical Future

Black metal clearly inspired by Wolves in the Throne Room, Agalloch and Deafheaven.

Oranssi Pazuzu - Värähtelijä

Psychedelic black metal.

Ritual Chamber - Obscurations (To Feast on the Seraphim)

Dark, crushing black metal in the vein of Sonne Adam and Necros Christos.

Deströyer 666 - Wildfire

Black/thrash/death, and first album since 09!

Destructor - Back in Bondage

Power-thrash with strong Hallows Eve, Nasty Savage and Agent Steel vibes. Released a classic album back in 85 and have release some albums afterwards too. Not too familiar with anything but the debut, to be honest.

Ripper - Experiment of Existence

Death/thrash in the vein of old Kreator and Sepultura.

Church of Misery - And Then There Were None

Stoner/doom!

Blood Ceremony - Lord of Misrule

Doom/psychedelic rock and one of my favourite bands in recent years. Gets better with each release!

Moonsorrow - Jumalten aika

Moonsorrow!!!

Insulter - Crypts of Satan

Black/thrash/death from Norway.

That's what I can think of t the moment. Looks like it could be a good year for metal as usual.

Another legend has fallen. Jimmy Bain who played bass on classic albums such as Rainbow's "Rising" and Dio's "Holy Diver", "The Last in Line", "Dream Evil" and "Magica" has passed away at the age of 68.

jimmy-bain.jpg

Another new track. Sounds excellent!

And Tarot is streaming their debut album now. Their compilation of their three previously released EPs (and a few new songs) was my favourite release of 2015, so I am really looking forward to this. I expect it to be among top 3 of 2016 for sure, if not the very, very best. I've only played the first track and it's nothing short of brilliant. Will play through it a couple of times tomorrow. Can't wait! Gorgeous cover art too.

a1747661823_10.jpg

https://heavychainsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/reflections

I just this discovered this disgustingly delicious band called Venenum. So far they've only released one EP in 2011 and a cover of "Waltz in Hell" by Mighty Sphincter. Not too much to go on, but it's definitely worth a listen.

Random find of the day:

These guys sound pretty good, gonna keep my eyes on them in the future. Their album is coming out in spring.

edit: also, holy shiiiiiet, Spektr's new album is messing with my head, in a good way. Excellent & twisted.

Been listening to this a lot lately, and this might be Wrest's best work till now, and his vocals are so fucking good. Easily his best performance ever.

And I really like the Krieg homage 4.30 into Within Thrall. The Sick Winds Stir the Cold Dawn!

Scar Sighted is for sure finest moment of Wrest career, alongside with his debut and Massive Conspiracy Against All Life. (IMO)

I'm not sure for the reference since Krieg isn't really my thing. But the most outstanding moment for me in the whole record is that crazy demented vocals at 2:53 of Dawn Vibration. Shit, that was one of the most sick-depraved-disturbed-deranged things I've ever heard. That was some serious Bethlehem shit.

Speaking of, I've finally give myself time for listening to the last Psychonaut record released last year. They're definitely keeping up with the legacy created by Lifelover.

love the instrumental for the psychonaut but as with every dsbm record the vocals completely ruin it for me.

i have been awful with keeping up with metal this past year but the new rosetta was quite awesome and while the krallice album that dropped really underwhelmed me, the ep that came after was the classic krallice i fell in love with

https://theanaesthete.bandcamp.com/album/quintessential-ephemera

http://krallice.bandcamp.com/album/hyperion

in terms of new stuff, lycus' new song is amazing, and i dont just mean amazing i mean goddamn insane. i gave a listen to their debut but it didnt really stick with me since im not a huge funeral doom person, but that one song they had with the blastbeats was cool. eitherway, i fuck with them pretty hard for playing around with the rigid template of funeral doom.

check out their new song

https://soundcloud.com/relapserecords/lycus-solar-chamber

im missing metal a lot, i loved metal so much and still do, its just taken a back burner to visual kei but i miss my profound lore/ worship days LOL

Ancient will release their first album in 11 years this year. Now, I'm not a fan of the band but everything up until and including Trolltaar are fantastic, and there's some decent music to be found on The Cainian Chronicle and The Halls of Eternity as well. I can't say I expect anything good from this album, but I'll check it out just based on their 93-95 releases.

12540708_222742751395122_504240090559790

Awful cover, but Nick Barker looks like one badass motherfucker on the new picture. He looks like someone I just do not want to fuck with:

772_photo.jpg

From the debut album:

Great album, unique in so many ways. You won't find another album with similar atmosphere. They had something completely different going on. The imagery is really fucking cool too. The band looked amazing back then.