The general Metal discussion thread

New Abbath track:

That sounds way better than the last. Music-wise it sounds more like Sons of Northern Darkness, but vocal-wise it sounds more like I. Anyway, I liked this song quite a bit.

2j4aq7b.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/furze-29250360/goat-cyclus

New Furze, and the new song sounds superb. Never expected the band to go in this direction, but I love it!

And Jim Sadist of Nunslaughter suffered a stoke in september, and his dad informed yesterday that he had no chance of recovery. Sad. Such a cool drummer, and from what I've read, a cool guy as well.

And Satyr og Satyricon was diagnosedwith a brain tumor. It's of the "good" kind, but if it continues to grow he'll need a complecated surgery.

Oh shit, so ex-Goatlord guitarist Joe Frankulin recentlygunned down his neighbor, abducted and killed her 8 year old son before he killed himself. Jesus, shocking.

http://m.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/shooters-neighbors-knew-he-was-planning-something

Goatlord was a great band by the way. Supreme black/death/doom metal band. Should be interesting for fans of Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Doom Snake Cult and Dream Death

So, a small live update from Trondheim Metal Fest:

Thursday:

Troldskugge kicked off the evening, but aside from their make up and shit, it was embarrasing. It was a poor joke. 2/10

From the Vastland from Iran was the band I came to see, but I was really disappointed. Sina did a fairly good job and stuff, but the sound was poor. Too loud and too sharp. An the drums played by either Vyl of Keep of Kalessin or Kevin Kvåle of Horizon Ablaze was so shitty. The sound was awful. No dynamic in his bass drums whatsoever, and they just took way too much space in the sound. Ew. 4/10

The Immortal inspired Iskald ended the evening with their melodic black/thrash metal and it worked fine, but again the loud was too sharp and loud. But it was OK, but I left 3 songs before they were finished due to the loudness though. 6/10

Friday:

First band we went down to see was Circus Maximus and it was boring as fuck. Saw two songs and left. Lacked balls and attitude. 3/10

Then we tried Triosphere which again was boring as fuck. Lacked balls and attitude. 3/10

Then Sabaton went on and I actually had some expectations to this band despite not being a fan, but what a poor gig. I think me and my brother left 5-6 songs out in their set. It was just godawful and every single word they said to the audience was so obviously staged. Nah, embarrassing! 2/10

Catched the two last songs of black metallers Khold and it kicked ass. Shame we missed the rest, because it was really cool! Been some years since I saw them last, so I wish I'd seen their entire set. Cool as fuck! 7/10

Rotting Christ ended the evening for us, and I entered the concert a sceptic as I saw the band earlier this year and thought it sucked. But what a gig! Smaller scene and a dirtier sound fitted them really well. Excellent gig! 8/10

Saturday:

Tried Susperia as both me and my brother used to be big fans, and neither had seen the band in ages, but it was poor. The sound sucked and the band looked uninspired. 4/10

Then came Aura Noir and as usual they delievered a great gig. Lots of dirty attitude, great songs and a superb front man. Awesome! 8/10

Korpiklaani was next and who'd have thought they were a fantastic live band? I was mighty impressed. It's silly, stupid and over the top, but it totally worked! 8/10

Primordial was next and what a gig. This is how you play live! A.A. Nemtheanga puts us in the mood after a lovely, celtic intro by screaming something like "We are Primordial from the Republic of Irland. Are you with us? Then raise your fist!". Best opening to a concert ever, and this is easily among the best concerts I've seen. A.A. Nemtheanga is from another world, and not only does he sing well, it's just well-above every other frontman in the world. The concert was short as they usually are on festivals, but it was good and well-worth the 10 year wait I've had to see these guys live. Perfection! 10/10

Tried to watch Stratovarious too, but it didn't work for me. Left up to watch some karaoke instead, a place where I sang True Survivor louder than the man on stage. Two thumbs up for myself!

Great weekend, and if there's someone like Primordial I will sure be there next year as well.

TMF2015_Primordial_VA-726x400.jpg

They pulled the plug on Jim Sadist the other day.

12471_artist.jpg

Read some stories that Jim Sadist, on the days they were having their gigs in norway, was standing outside the place and greeting everyone who showed up for their gig one time, and the next he was giving away Darkthrone patches to everyone who showed up. Which was not unusual for him, as he after gigs used to walk around the crowd and personally thank everyone in the crowd for showing up, often giving away stuff like patches or posters to everyone.  Seemed like a real character.

Will play through a couple of Nunslaughter albums today. Whata band, man! Everyone into Possessed, Sarcofago, Repusion, Hellhammer, Necrophagia and the liked should own at least a couple of Nunslaughter releases.

Swallow the Sun is releasing a new album this year, and it's a tripple albu consisting of only, as far as I know at least, original songs. First album will be melodic doom/death metal as usual, the second album will be an acoustic album and the third a funeral doom album. Interesting.

From the first album.

I have got some nice gigs coming up in the next few days. 

Wednesday I'll be seeing Enforcer + Wolf + Dynamite. Thursday I'll be seeing Evil Invaders + BLIKSEM + Bark. I am quite certain most of the people attending this thread are already familiar with Enforcer, but I'd still like to press some attention to them. I've seen them for the first time back in 2009, if I remember correctly. At that time they already shared the stage with famed bands such as Tygers of Pan Tang and Picture, who were also present at that particular gig. It's incredible to see how they have grown since then, and the crowds they attract.

What did y'all think about Trivium's new album? 

I liked it a lot personally, I'd write a whole review but I've got plenty of stuff that keep me busy lately so I'm just gonna share a review from Metallum. I pretty much agree on everything that was written on here: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Trivium/Silence_in_the_Snow/525116/

I'm just gonna quote the last section which perfectly sums up my thoughts:

Ultimately, that means Silence in the Snow is an album of consistent quality, rather than having any massive high points. But the band is undoubtedly inspired and vital here, and they've created a very enjoyable set of songs that tap into their influences while still putting a uniquely Trivium spin on them. It's nice to hear Trivium in this context, a big step forward from their last two efforts and clearly the second-best album of the band's sneakily long career.

Thing is that I wouldn't consider it the second best album, rather the 3rd best probably

There's a new Vehemence album coming, their first since 2004's Helping the World to See, and there's a few of tracks leaked:

The production isn't exactly great and the drums sounds like shit, but the songs itself sounds amazing. I like Helping the World to See , but this sounds a lot more similar to the masterpiece that is God Was Created. More complex and challenging, yet catchy. Especially track two sounds great. It's so good to hear melodic death metal bands that plays actual death metal. Lovely!

The Evil Invaders gig for tomorrow is cancelled because Joe is still sick. Instead I'm seeing the second Dutch show of Enforcer, Wolf and Dynamite as we were put on the guestlist by the kind men of Wolf. It's 02:45 and I just got home, far too tired to write a review.

Halfway through the new Grave album, and it's as pulverizing as expected.  :rockon:

edit: In other death metal news, spinning the new Gorod album now, pretty great stuff! Never listened to these guys before, dunno why. Nice mixture of melodies, technical riffs and death atmosphere.

sideproject of some of the periphery members

I like the kinda blackmetal-ish vibe they did for this, although i hate these goddamned midi-drums, they sound disgusting :( who knows, maybe i'll get used to it

album is due sometime in november iirc

^ I must admit, I started listening but fell over laughing when I heard some of the vocals... not for me I guess. xD Shame, cuz some of the music was pretty good.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Leviathan from before, but a few of the albums are totally recommended for fans of Xasthur, Krieg, Twilight, Lurker of Chalice, Draugar, Blut aus Nord and more. The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide and Tentacles of Whorror are USBM classics. Hypnotic, devilish and mean. I think the vocals sounds amazing on both albums. Unholy, possessed, almost schizophrenic in a way.

I think the band is at its best when Wrest decides to slow things down a bit.

Edit: By the way, Leviathan are one of those bands that seems to grow a lot on people with time. I wasn't a fan to begin with, and most other I know who are into the band wasn't either.

I ordered Kauan's new CD today. If it is as breathtakingly beautiful as the first 7 minutes, I may just cry throughout the whole album.

Some very interesting releases dropping before new year:

Hades Almighty - Pyre Era, Black!

Hades Almighty's first release since 2001, and Hades/Hades Almighty's first release without Janto Garmanslund who quite earlier this year. Music-wise the continue the proggy black metal of The Pulse of Decay, but some of the melodylines sounds like something from their Hades era. Sounds good.

Kampfar - Profan

I've heard one song from this and it's easily the best Kampfar song since 1999's Fra underverdenen. Really cool song!

Mansion - Altar Sermon

A more rocking and heavy metal-esque version of Jex Thoth. This will be their fourth release, and as usual I expect a masterpiece. All three EPs and the single have been brilliant, so my expectations are up high for sure. The title track is nothing short of amazing!

Satan's Satyrs - Don't Deliver Us

New album coming, and this time the bands sounds even more rocking than before. Much more inspired by Blue Cheer, and I really like the song. Much better than everything on Die Screaming.

Bastard Grave - What Lies Beyond

The band released a great demo in 2014, so this is an album I really look forward to. The band offers nothing new, just good, old school-sounding swedish death metal. Think Nihilist, Entombed, Grave and Carnage.

Varathron - The Confessional of the Black Penitents

Varathron are one of the best bands ever in my eyes mainly because of their two first albums and some of their early EPs and demos, and after a few very disappointing albums they hit back hard in 2014 with Untrodden Corridors of Hades, and this new EP seems to follow that in great manner. Sounds very good.

Power From Hell - Devil's Whorehouse

PFH's debut album is amazing and a must-have for any fan of Bathory, Venom, Sodom and Hellhammer, but they haven't been able to follow up that properly and have gotten more and more uninteresting with each release, just like their cover art. Never bad, just not all that good either. Debut has some amazing cover art, but the rest looks awful. This new album howeer, while having a poor cover art, sounds very good. Easily the best song since their second album.

That's a few of the releases I look very much forward to. Will check for more later today.

Guest lynchisizer

What did y'all think about Trivium's new album? 

I liked it a lot personally, I'd write a whole review but I've got plenty of stuff that keep me busy lately so I'm just gonna share a review from Metallum. I pretty much agree on everything that was written on here: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Trivium/Silence_in_the_Snow/525116/

I'm just gonna quote the last section which perfectly sums up my thoughts:

Thing is that I wouldn't consider it the second best album, rather the 3rd best probably

Well I personally liked the album too, but I think it's definitely weaker than their earlier albums, maybe their weakest album to date :o I have nothing against no screaming at all, I mean The Crusade had almost no screams and still there were great tracks like "Unrepentant" or "Tread The Floods" for example, the problem is more the songwriting itself, some songs sound a little bit rehashed (for example Breathe In The Flames being a rehashed version of At The End Of This War from Vengeance Falls (probably my fav on VF) ), and otherwise, there are songs which sound just weak to me, I personally can't get into Rise Above The Tides or The Thing That's Killing me... but there are still some great songs like for example Dead And Gone (I think this is something very new, but it's still Trivium :o ) or Until The World Goes Cold :o (I really like this thoughtful atmosphere, I dunno why so many people disliked that song...)

New Tribulation cover EP coming up. The A-side will be their The Cure - 100 Years cover and the B-side a cover of The Offspring - Pay The Man. Very interesting choice of song, but I can see it fitting their current sound anyway, especially the first half of the song.

Never thought I'd get to ay this, but the french goth metallers Penumbra are releasing a new album - 12 years after the last one.

I'm not quite sure about the new track, but I am looking forward to this anyway as all three previous Penumbra albums are very good.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Leviathan from before, but a few of the albums are totally recommended for fans of Xasthur, Krieg, Twilight, Lurker of Chalice, Draugar, Blut aus Nord and more. The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide and Tentacles of Whorror are USBM classics. Hypnotic, devilish and mean. I think the vocals sounds amazing on both albums. Unholy, possessed, almost schizophrenic in a way.

I think the band is at its best when Wrest decides to slow things down a bit.

Edit: By the way, Leviathan are one of those bands that seems to grow a lot on people with time. I wasn't a fan to begin with, and most other I know who are into the band wasn't either.

Yes, I listen to pretty much anything involving Jef Whitehead. Also a big fan of Xasthur, Twilight, Krieg, and Blut Aus Nord. I like Deathspell Omega a lot, too.

For those interested, noisey made a very cool documentary on the guy, also having Scott Conner of Xasthur and Russell Menzies of Striborg

parts 2 and 3 on related videos

An interesting documentary and especally the part on Wrest is cool, but the part of Russell Menzies is so embarrassing. Had to find a pillow to cover my face when he was being interviewed.

Krieg is really underrated by the way. The discography is a bit uneeven, but at its best (Patrick Bateman) it's just beyond amazing. That's such an amazing release. But in reality Patrick Bateman, Sono lo Scherno, Blue Miasma and The Black House are all fantastic, while both Rise of the Imperial Hordes and Destruction Ritual are good. I also love the varity of his discography. From the raw, chaotic sounds of his earlier releases to the polished and more groovy sound of Blue Miasma and The Black House to the sheer violence and brutality of Patrick Bateman. I wanted to post the The Blackash Snowfall version from Sono lo Scherno, but youtube only have the one from Destruction Ritual, which is a shame because the one from Sono lo Scherno is so much better. Than synth, man!

I'm not aware of anything they're released before Blue Miasma. These two songs got me definitely hooked up. Another US band with a great varity discography was 

Nachtmystium. Everything they did from Reign of the Malicious to The World We Left Behind is very good. IMO

A Forest of Stars is from England and are very underappreciated as well. Beware The Swords You Cannot See was released this year.

I'm not the biggest fan of Nachtmystium, but I enjoy their first three albums. Both Demise and the more psychedelic Instinct: Decay are very good albums. Not very keen on the band after that other than a few good songs here and there.

As for A Forest of Stars, I really like their two first albums and The Corpse of Rebirth is nothing short of a masterpiece. But their two last one's been very disappointing to me. If you're interested in my psychedelic black metal you should check out Hail Spirit Noir. They're like King Crimson gone black metal or something. The debut is perfect (10/10) and the second album is amazing (9/10). Totally worth anyone's time!

I don't think I've ever heard the german black metal band Wardaemonic, but the cover art for their latest album sure as fuck got me interested:

Wardaemonic-The-Cold-Steps-To-Solitude.j

Man, that is magnificent.