The general Metal discussion thread

Jex Thoth is amazing. Think they released their best material as Totem, though. And Jex are among the most talented female vocalists avlive. Superb woman!

Oh yeah, the new Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats sounds great. Left a massive first impression on me. I really like Mind Control, but I think this sounds way better. Mind Control had this filthy bikersploitation-feeling to it, but with The Night Creeper they've kinda gone back to what they did before Mind Control, and again it feels very horror-inspired. A very impressive first impression indeed!

I will be surprised if this doesn't end up on my top 10 when the year's gone.

1. Blood for the Burning Oath / Dungeons of the Disembodied         
2. Elysium of Dripping Death         
3. Ashen with Solemn Decay         
4. Beyond Deserted Flesh

New Hooded Menace! Fantastic band, and they never disappoint so I will be most surprised if this isn't anywhere to be found on my top 10 when the year is over. The teaser sounds great!

Jex Thoth is amazing. Think they released their best material as Totem, though. And Jex are among the most talented female vocalists avlive. Superb woman!

Saw them as opening act in March this year for Blues Pills, it was like a requiem and she seemed insane. Amazing voice and perfomance! (And she's made for tight jeans lol.)

I am jelly as fuck. Never seen them live sadly, but I hope to catch them live sometime. Fantastic band!

Have you heard Mansion? Finnish band which at times sound very much like Jex Thoth. They're a bit heavier on the heavy metal and a bit moe rocking, though, but at times they sound like a carbon copy. Amazing band as well.

Some Hades Almighty news after the news of Janto left the band:

The Dawn of a New Era

HADES ALMIGHTY are back! A lot has been festering in the HADES Horde in the last year, and we are now finally able to reveal some details.

First, we hereby present the mighty Ask Ty as our new musical orator and screamer of blood curling verses. Known as drummer and part time vocalist of bands like Kampfar and Krakow, Ask Ty brings fresh nutrients to the soil of the Horde. We have been working together for the last 6 months, and the harvest has been fruitful.

Secondly, we hereby announce the first studio release since 2001’s ‘THE PULSE OF DECAY‘. This will be an EP, titled ‘PYRE ERA, BLACK!’, which will lead up to the next album released not long after. Both will be released through Dark Essence Records.

Prepare for the Dawn of a New Era!

Photo: C.Misje

11156399_853676044667523_879553401308752

I'm quite a fan of the band, but I am not expecting great things from the new EP. But I look forward to it anyway.

I am jelly as fuck. Never seen them live sadly, but I hope to catch them live sometime. Fantastic band!

Have you heard Mansion? Finnish band which at times sound very much like Jex Thoth. They're a bit heavier on the heavy metal and a bit moe rocking, though, but at times they sound like a carbon copy. Amazing band as well.

Had to miss them last autumn cause I couldn't move early enough to my new area. :D

These guys? Sounds good. If you like Doom with female vocals and folk influence, check out SubRosa - heavy as fuck, dark and beuatiful violines.

Ever heard of Mantar and Horn of the Rhino? As Heavy as the apocalypse itself.

THey're playing in Norway this month or next actually, but it's too far for me to bother. I can't travel that far for one concert at the moment. Sadly.

Yes, that is the Mansion. Highly recommended stuff. All releases are top notch IMO.

Already familiar with SubRosa, Mantar and Horn of the Rhino. Not a fan of either, though. I prefer my sludgy metal a bit different then those acts.

THey're playing in Norway this month or next actually, but it's too far for me to bother. I can't travel that far for one concert at the moment. Sadly.

Yes, that is the Mansion. Highly recommended stuff. All releases are top notch IMO.

Already familiar with SubRosa, Mantar and Horn of the Rhino. Not a fan of either, though. I prefer my sludgy metal a bit different then those acts.

Just wait, maybe you'll see them in near future. :D

Speaking of down?

If you're asking me if I am speaking of the band Down, then no. I like the two first Down albums and all, and while the sludge is there, their way too much southern metal for my liking. When it comes ti sludge I am more into the darker, bleaker, rawer and often more hardcore-inspired music like EyeHateGod, Corrupted, Grief, Dystopia, Iron Monkey, 13, Burning Witch, certain Boris and Melvins albums and so on.

Can't wait, their music is godlike.

And as I'm speaking about godlike music, I came across this recently.

Der-Weg-Einer-Freiheit-Stellar-41337-3.j

Behold, 'Repulsion' by 'Der Weg Einer Freiheit' from the new album 'Stellar'.

I love how the album honors the title that was given to it. This is very probably going to be in my top 3 albums of the year.

Wow really good stuff, thanks for sharing :)

I've begun listening to that new Tribulation album and IT ROCKS! Like, really, 'rocks.' Interesting mixture of occult hard rock, heavy metal and black metal elements. I kinda remembered them as a nice lil' band with more of a death metal edge, but seems like they've changed things up quite a bit. Great atmosphere too! Hopefully it won't die down by the end (almost-an-hour-long runtimes always seem a bit much for me).

Been playing this a few times lately and I've been quite impressed by it. A nice mixture of progressive death metal, occult rock with touches of black and death/goth rock. It's got some proper death/goth rock feeling throughout the album.

I have also been revisiting Morbus Chron's final album Sweven lately as well, after been really disappointed after its release. But it's working way better now. Progressive death metal much in the vein of the two last Tribulation albums. Not as gothy and more Opeth-esque in its acoustic work, but if you like newer Tribulation you sure should check it out. If you like death metal you should simply check out their debut album, Sleepers in the Rift, which still ranks on my top 10 all-time favourite death metal albums. Masterpiece of another dimension!

Also, after listening to this a few times daily for a week or so, the band announced their split and end of the band. What a shame.

^ Glad you're digging the Tribulation stuff. I've been initially kinda iffy about it (loved it at first but somehow the whole album was just too 'huge' for me), but it's some pretty cool and interesting batch of music. They'll be playing over here in Hungary next year in January or February, def gonna go see them (I guess it'll be a Europe tour, so you'll have a chance too).

In totally unrelated news, I've been sucked into the world of Grip Inc. recently. How come I've never listened to these guys I just don't know. Killer thrashy modern/groove metal, excellent powerful vocals, razor-sharp guitar assault and of course Mr. Lombardo's pounding drum attacks. I've almost finished the discog, everything just sounds equally fantastic. Can't praise them enough.

Guitarist Waldemar Sorychta's old band Despair seems like some cool proggy thrash too, so gonna check that out later for sure.

Going to Trondheim Metal Fest in the begining of October. There's three club stages on Thursday, and regular stages inside on Friday and Saturday, at a Hotel nearby. The lineup isn't the best I've ever seen, but it should be fun anyway. Saturday is the main reason for me and my brother going. The lineup is below, the bolded is what we'll see and the italic is the ones we'll probably have a look at:

Thursday:

Blood Stage (Kultursenteret ISAK) :
Strandhugg,
Akarusa Yami

Doom Stage (Familien)
Sahg
Tombstones
Scornful

Black Stage (Fru Lundgreens)
Iskald
Trollskugge
From The Vastland

Legends Stage (Good Omens)
Överhead
Battery
Baghera

Friday:

Sabaton
Between The Buried & Me

Evile
Cirkus Maximus
Khold
Rotting Christ
Betraying The Martyrs
Nergard
Crucified Barbara
Hellish Outcast
Hamferd
Tellus Requiem
Maiden Norway

Saturday:

Stratovarius
Suspiria
Korpiklaani
Primordial
Aura Noir

Anaal Nathrakh
Tankard
Dødheimsgard
Skálmöld
Attan
The Hate Colony
Anthem - Dio Tribute
Mambo Kurt.

On thursday I am going mainly to get a look at From the Vastland, an Iranian black metal band that's pretty cool. And while I am there I'll probably have a look at Iskald as well. Trollskugge seems to be an embarrassment to the black metal scene, but since I am there I might have a look at it, ptobably just for the laughs of it.

Friday doesn't really have any interesting bands. The Khold isa band I've seen a handful of times and they deliver each time, and it's been some eyars so I am looking forward to that. I can't stand Sabaton, but they're known as a fantastic live band so I'll give them a chance live. Rotting Christ was awful at Inferno, but being a fan I'll give them a new chance. I've not heard Hamferd as far as I know, but they seem interesting enough. And Between The Buried & Me and Circus Maximus I'll have a look at just because both they are I am there.

But saturday is the reason why I am going, and more specific Primordial. I've missed out on Primordial a billion times now, and with them being among my favourite bands I'm happy to finally getting to see them live. Aura Noir is amazing both on record and live, so that's interesting as well, and while Tankard's been shit since the mid 80's, they're legends and look a great live band. Dødheimsgard is amazing, but their gig at Inferno was bad but I am ready to give them a new chance. Anaal Nathrakh was great one upon a time, but they're been awful for ages now and live they seem even worse. But I am there and they're there, so I'll give them a fai chance. Korpiklaani is a ridicolus band, but their first album was OK and they're probably hilarious live. Stratovarius is Stratovarius. If they play a lot of older songs it could easily be a cool gig. But do they play mostly old though? I'm not so sure.

Anyway, it should be a nice weekend. And Primordial will make it worthy of all my money anyway. Amazing on record and the band is known for being even better live. From the DVD and various live videos, few human beings seem to have such a massive stage presence as A.A. Nemtheanga. His powerful vocals doesn't exactly make him any lesser either. The only complainment is that they'll probably only get 45-50 minutes, and that they'll only play six songs, all from the last four albums. But with all albums being masterpieces it's totally forgiven, even though I'd love to hear something off the first two albums.

The best god damn vocalist alive in 2015. God! God! GOOOOOOOOD!!!

Attending a new one-day 'festival' called Solarfall somewhere fifteen minutes from my hometown in a few hours with Impaled Nazarene (FI), Saille (BE), Thulcandra (DE), Antropomorphia (NL), Dystopia (NL), Evil Invaders (BE), Doghouse Gallows (NL) and Ancient Monstrosity (NL). 

I initially only desired to attend because of Evil Invaders (they do not fit this bill at all, but oh well), but after listening to Saille and Thulcandra I hope this evening will revolve around more bands besides just them.

A few very good bands there. Would've really loved to see Thulcandra. Great Dissection-worship to the core, but good Dissection-worshipto the core.  Would also be happy to see Impaled Nazarene, Antropomorphia, Saille and Evil Invaders.

Pretty sure Impaled Nazarene is pretty up and down live these days, but they still released classics like Tol Cormpt Norz Norz Norz..., Ugra-Karma and Suomi Finland Perkele, so it would be interesting to see them live.

I enjoyed all performances (Antropomorphia cancelled, for the second time) — except for Impaled Nazarene. Now this was also due the mediocre equipment of the venue, but good lord... for the three tracks that I managed to endure inside I heard nothing but a longwinding static screech. I couldn't make out any individual instruments and generally I just thought it was terrible. I spent the remainder of their performance outside catching up with Evil Invaders' guys and had a better time there, actually. It was my first time seeing them live while personally knowing the guys for a long time, but this is the only time they ever came close. Loved it, pure speed metal and thrash, I've hardly ever seen such an energetic performance and they ripped absolutely everything.

I'd like to point out the band Dystopia, by the way. They're a local band and they left quite an impression that evening, and I hope their full-length album will drop soon.

Just discovered these guys. They're a young 'traditional heavy metal' (i.e. Cloven Hoof, Running Wild, Metal Church, Gamma Ray) band from Portland, Oregon - USA. I've seen an uprise in bands like these with names such as Cauldron, Wolf and Enforcer and it lays very pleasant on the ears. I love bands like these.

Maniac - Vermin Hell

New-ish album of Spanish pursuers of the filthy kick-in-your-teeth black/death/thrash styles of old. Lots of cool moments, reminds me a bit of Satan's Wrath and the like. Hits hard, man.

Got a massive kick on Forest Silence at the moment.Started out as Winter of Sear Bliss' side project, but it didn't take him long before he left Sear Bliss to focus soley on this in 1997. Started out as dark ambient, but soon evolved into a black metal band, and on his team for a couple of releases he had András Nagy of Sear Bliss as well. I'm a huge fan of both the dark ambient releases as well as the ambient black metal one, and this is just a perfect band for cold, bleak days. I think Winter perfected the ambient black metal genre with his 2002 demo The Eternal Winter. The mix of his earlier dark ambient into black metal is fantastic, and it's balanced perfectly.

It's minimalistic and really effective. Cold, dark and bleak. Perfect production as well. Love his later releases too, but I think the debut album are a bit too polished to be honest. The two new tracks on the EP sounds more fittingly produced. But the demo is raw and fits the music a lot better. Imagine Paysage d'Hiver, Evilfeast and Sear Bliss having a baby and you'll get what this band is all about. Such a fantastic demo! 10/10

Where Paysage d'Hiver is more like you're all alone on the moountain walking through a blizzard, Forest Silence is more like you're taking a walk through a col, dark snow-cladden forest. Two way different bands, but with a lot in common. Beautiful stuff, both of them.

Looking forward to the new The Wolves of Avalong EP by the way. It's called Die Hard, and it shouldn't come as a surprise that it is a Venom cover. What makes me excited for it is the guests. It will feature guest appearances from Mantas (Venom) on guitar and vocals; Rob Miller (Amebix) on vocals; Mirai (Sigh) on vocals; and, Alan Averill (Primordial) on vocals. Sounds like it could be damn good.

Pretty good band in general with members and ex-members from bands such as The Meads of Asphodel, Hawkwind and Arise from Ashes. It sounds like a folkier and less punky version of the first couple of The Meads of Asphodel albums. The Meads of Asphodel goes folky pagan metal is pretty acurate. Lots of guests on their two albums as well, including Roibéard Ó Bogail of Mael Mórdha, Magnus Wohlfart of Nae'blis, Petra Jadrná of Cruadalach, Verst of Instinct, Rob Darken of Graveland, Varggoth of Nokturnal Mortum, Thurios of Drudkh and Hildr Valkyrie of Folkearth as the most known ones. Pretty cool stuff.

Really looking forward to hearing their version of Die Hard. Great cover for the album too.

the_wolves_of_avalon_die_hard_cover_01.j

522819.jpg

Tyranny - Aeons in Tectonic Interment

A new Tyranny album, and their first release since 2005. Tides of Awakening is a classic funeral doom album, so I am looking forward to this very much. Should be good!

Puttin' this here as well for good measure; anyone know any tight metal bands with middle-eastern, oriental or tribal folk influences, chanting and this sort of thing?

^ I know of these pretty rad bands:

Melechesh - epic death metal with Middle-Eastern influences

Cult of Fire - black metal with a mystical Hindu vibe going on (since about 2013 at least)

Nile - you prolly know of this band already, pretty solid death metal with Egyptian and Middle-Eastern motifs

Enemite - this isn't metal but dark as fuq creepy Chinese tribal chanting sp00ks