The general Metal discussion thread

I know there's a separate thread for him, but too lazy to search back: new Thy Catafalque track, yay! The rest of the album is supposed to be cold-sounding and more br00tal, unlike this track btw.

http://www.popmatters.com/post/196583-thy-catafalque-alfoeldi-kozmosz-audio-premiere/

New album coming on October 16, in special packaging and whatnot.

Lychgate seem to be quite populare. Blood Music released some Lychgate LPs and they sold out quite fast. So I should check em out?

Is there any release date scheduled for that new Cult of Fire album yet?

Tried yesterday Disturbed's new album and yeah, the guys are back. Asylum was weak af for my taste so I'm glad they managed to deliver an absolute killer such as Immortalized. I'd easily put it into their top 3 of their discography imo.

Also tried out the new Ghost album, decent stuff. I have difficulties to deal with the midsection of the album but the first and third sections are great.

Not sure about when the new Cult of Fire album is released. But it shouldn't be too far away.

Another new Amorphis track:

More in the vein of the bands' last 4 albums, but it's both nice and catchy.

Can't wait, their music is godlike.

And as I'm speaking about godlike music, I came across this recently.

Der-Weg-Einer-Freiheit-Stellar-41337-3.j

Behold, 'Repulsion' by 'Der Weg Einer Freiheit' from the new album 'Stellar'.

I love how the album honors the title that was given to it. This is very probably going to be in my top 3 albums of the year.

My take on some of the recent metal releases I've checked out.

Veil Of Maya's Matriarch was amazing. Love how the elitists went apeshit because the band decided to use clean vocals while ignoring the fact that the music is the best it's been. Technical, melodic, creative and heavy. 

Those Human Abstract Vibes and Jason Richardson guitar solo :)

I really dug Iwrestledabearonce's Hail Mary. The band was always quirky but they don't get much credit for their creativity or technical prowess. Hail Mary went serious and just stepped up the heaviness and technical aspects. You get a chaotic metal onslaught. And Courtney was already a great vocalist and this album just proved she's one of the top female vocalist in the metal genre.

August Burns Red had another great release. They are one of the best bands in the metalcore genre IMO, and Found In Far Away Places was one of the best metalcore releases for this year. It's up their with Feed Her To The Sharks, Fortitude. Miss May I also had a nice come back up. Deathless is the best thing they've put out since Monuments. 

Bullet For My Valentine's Venom however was a disappointment. It was better than Temper Temper, but it was missing that bullet magic. It's not even up to par with Fever.

Lamb Of Gods VII Sturm Und Drang was killer. Really strong, and Chino Moreno guest vocals is an instant plus.

Cattle Decapitation, The Anthropocene Extinction was totally sick. Brutal, heavy, and aggressive. Still love those crazy goblin vocals. 

And I've been jamming Fear Factory's Genexus since it came out. It's like a cross between Mechanize and the best parts of the Industrialist. Glad to see these guys put out another great album and love the Andy Sneap production. This is why their my favorite Industrial metal band.  

Stuff I'm looking forward to;

More technical melo death from The Black Dahlia Murder.

Another album from the Interbieng after like 5 - 6 years. I need more of their awesome gothenburg metal. 

Atreyu's come back album. Long Live.

And Rings of Saturn 4th album

Agreed about Cattle Decapitation and (somewhat) Fear Factory! Cool releases. :) Haven't checked out the rest yet.

Also omg, didn't know about a 4th Rings of Saturn album, BRING IT ONNN

I will never be able to understand why Zemial hasn't got bigger name in the metal scene. Started out as a very traditional Greek black metal band before moving more towards the epic viking metal albums of Bathory and Manowar with In Monumentum, before transforming into a progressive black/thrash metal band on their last album, Nykta. Nykta is like a mix of black metal, thrash metal, progressive rock, psychedelic rock and space-rock. Imagine Bathory anno 84-85 meeting up with Celtic Frost, Rotting Christ, Varathron, Hawkwind, Pink Floyd and King Crimson to do an album. It's weird and original, but catchy and very enjoyable. Both Nykta and In Monumentum are 10/10 albums. Nykta is among the most original black metal releases of the 2000's to be honest.

Check it out!

Really enjoying the hell out of Ghost lately, nice stuff, even if it's not really ''metal'', I guess.

I will never be able to understand why Zemial hasn't got bigger name in the metal scene. Started out as a very traditional Greek black metal band before moving more towards the epic viking metal albums of Bathory and Manowar with In Monumentum, before transforming into a progressive black/thrash metal band on their last album, Nykta. Nykta is like a mix of black metal, thrash metal, progressive rock, psychedelic rock and space-rock. Imagine Bathory anno 84-85 meeting up with Celtic Frost, Rotting Christ, Varathron, Hawkwind, Pink Floyd and King Crimson to do an album. It's weird and original, but catchy and very enjoyable. Both Nykta and In Monumentum are 10/10 albums. Nykta is among the most original black metal releases of the 2000's to be honest.

Check it out!

The two longest tracks on the album:

That is so good.

No fans of Zemial? You all deserve a beating. Bitches!

This album, man. I've been going on about this album ever since its release in mid-2014, and ever since its released I've played it almost once a day. In average I've probably played it twice a day since it's release. A modern death metal masterpiece, and one of the best death metal albums ever. Early Pestilence meets early Morbid Angel and early Death. It's not original or anything, but the band's got character and you'll recognize the band in an instant when listening to it. Lots of character! 10/10

Gezol of Sabbat fame says winter is coming:

CNbgQgnWgAEI2v7.jpg

Venom leather(?) panties and flip-flops. What a man. No wonder I've had a mancrush on this man for 10+ years now.

Really enjoying the hell out of Ghost lately, nice stuff, even if it's not really ''metal'', I guess.

Yes to this. And they have kinda gone prog rock.

Thoughts on BFMV's new album? I thought it was ass yet everyone else thinks it's a return to form.

It did suck ass. Well it was actually an ok album, but compared to the mighty 3 they've done, Poison, Scream and Fever, it was ass by comparison. It was slightly better than Temper Temper, but what that album had over Venom was the bullet magic. There always those handful of songs that have the bands signature sound oozing out of them, on Venom, none of them had it.

I was also not a fan of the production. It was still too much of a hard rock production rather than a metal production and I love Terry Date. 

It's one of my disappointments in core music for this year along with All That Remains Order Of Things. 

Also omg, didn't know about a 4th Rings of Saturn album, BRING IT ONNN

Yeah can't wait what those guys will do next. Apparently the album is done, they are just looking for a label to release it through. I'm especially looking forward to what Ian will do on vocals. His vocals keep getting more brutal and refined with every release. 

They redid an old song off their 1st album with their current  lineup and it's pretty rad.

KNEEL BEFORE MY MINIONS, AS THEY KNEEL BEFORE ME

i'm really enjoying the new Ghost meself. It's not a new Infestissumam (yet), but still enjoyable as fuck. The production is way better this time around, but it doesn't have as many stand-out tracks as Infestissumam (Secular Haze, Ghuleh / Zombie Queen, Year Zero, Monstrance Clock). The only track that can compare to those are Absolution. But the album sounds great.

Hope to catch them live again, but it seems like Oslo is their only stop in Norway from now till the end of year so it won't be in 2015. But their concert last year are easily on my top 5, so I hope to catch them live again soon. Brilliant live band.

I'm simply loving the entire "circus" that is Ghost. Everything they do is 100%, and nothing less. I can see how eople can get tired of it all, but I just love it. It's fantastic!

It did suck ass. Well it was actually an ok album, but compared to the mighty 3 they've done, Poison, Scream and Fever, it was ass by comparison. It was slightly better than Temper Temper, but what that album had over Venom was the bullet magic. There always those handful of songs that have the bands signature sound oozing out of them, on Venom, none of them had it.

You know, I didn't even realise that the new album is devoid of their signature sound until you mentioned it! I totally get what you mean though. 

Like most of their albums I REALLY liked some songs but I just can't sit through the whole thing. I don't think I could get past any of the songs on Temper Temper XD