The general Metal discussion thread

Our new album THE NIGHT CREEPER will be released on September 4th via Rise Above records.

13360_1100375866642693_17439695461790331

Oh yeah! This is something to really look forward to. Gonna be great!

The new Cradle of Filth album is a bit more solid than I initially expected, so I'm pleased. Even those two songs that had official YT-audio sound better here in an album context, next to the other tracks. Can't really say anything more now, only through my first listen and it's hella long, haha. But the bonus tracks are pretty kickass too, so props to them! Might go see them live in November.

Highly recommended demo for fans of the old Hellenic black metal scene. It's nothing but shameless Rotting Christ anno 1993 rip-off, but who gives a fuck when it sounds as good as this does? I sure don't. Fantastic demo!

51qqPYc0JrL._SY300_.jpg

Lustre - Blossom

01. Part 1

02. Part 2

03. Part 3

04. Part 4

Clothed in an elemental jacket particularly relying on heavy synthesizing settings, Blossom takes its strength from spiritual nature, meditational atmospheres and a georgic and outlandish quality enveloped within warmth and temper. This is an epitome product representing the world of an ambient black metal movement that invites the ones with a craving for an unconcerned forty minutes of being drawn into complete nothingness, where outer influences fade slowly into a timeless dimension. I highly recommend this EP as it is surrounded with a form of unique modesty that Nachtzeit continuously and often manages to produce.

My attention just got called to a Mexican band called Acrania, they play an interesting mixture of old-school death / thrash, progressive elements and Latin jazz influences (and extra instruments accordingly). Their latest album "Fearless" is a nice experimental mish-mash of sounds, though I expected something a bit more "out there" after reading all the rave reviews. It's good for a try, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jZ66GNmyPY

Damn, this sounds really good. It's close to 10 years since they released their last great album, Eclipse, so this is something very welcomed. Happy to see them go away from the formula they've been rehashing every since Eclipse as well. This song sounds like it was very inspired by Elegy and Tales from the Thousand Lakes. I'm liking it a lot. Looking forward to the album.

Was playing Abyssos' debut album today, Together We Summon the Dark, a really good melodic black metal album and was wondering what the members was up to today. When checking it I found out that the main member Christian Rehn is the father of one of the guys in Seremedy and uncle of Yohio. Jesus, what a poor man. I'm surprised he hasn't commited harakiri yet with kin like that.

Great song from a great album!

Shit, these guys just doesn't know how to do anything below god damn fantastic, do they? What a band, both live and on album. Will be one of the best album this year for sure.

6a5cb4c4.jpg

New Deafheaven. Sunbather was a huge disappointment, so I don't have too high expectations here. But Roads to Judah is excellent so I hope they can reach that level again. It's only five tracks so I hope that means it's not filled with fillers like Sunbather was.

Whaaaaaaaaat, I didn't know there was a new Mgła album coming out!! Can't wait! This track sounds as good as anything they've released so far.

Out of nowhere there's also a new Krallice out. Or, it's leaked at least. I am very surprised to see the short playtime of this new one. It's only 35 minutes divided on 6 songs, while of their previous four albums the shortest have been 60 minutes divided on 7 tracks. That's pretty interesting if you ask me. The longest tracks, four of them, clocks in at only 6:41 minutes.

I'm not very impressed by that song though, and I think the band's just gotten worse with every single album which makes me slightly worried. But a Krallice album needs time to grow, so I'll give it some spins later on. But they'll never top the self-titled debut though. Great album. Like a progressive, avant-garde-esque Weakling or Wolves in the Throne Room. Not 1/10th as good as Weakling or Wolves in the Throne Room though, but great nonetheless.

I need the D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trying Sulphur Aeon now. Three songs in it sounds well-written, produced and played, but I don't think I'll ever be able to fully enjoy this. It sounds like a mix of Behemoth anno 2004-2009, Immolation and Hypocrisy anno 1996. I'd say they mix the grand, epic style of Behemoth, the darkness of Immolation and spice it up with the melodies of Hypocrisy's Abducted. Not really the type of death metal I enjoy, but I'll give both albums a fair chance.

acid-witch.jpg

The psychedelic death/doomers in Acid Witch released this cover EP this year. Four great songs taken from some really cool films. Here's the originals of the songs they cover:

Sorcery - I'm Back (from Rocktober Blood)

Fastway - After Midnight (from Trick or Treat)

Black Roses - Soldiers of the Night (from Black Roses)

45 Grave - Partytime (from The Return of the Living Dead)

I'm usually not into cover albums, but considering this is Acid Witch covering some songs far away from what they are usually doing, the fact that these are great songs form cool horror films and I'm a horror maniac I'm really looking forward to hear this. Their cover for Partytime, which they've been playing live for years, is really cool:

Highly recommended band too. Horror-influenced and psychedelic death/doom. Shame I am missing out on their concert in a week or two. Such a shame.

This EP is great! The songs isn't too far from the originals, but they've given them an Acid Witch-ish overhaul and it works really well. Really cool EP! Highly recommended!

New supergroup with L-G Petrov (ex-Entobed and Nihilist), Fredrik Folkare (Unleashed, Necrophobic), Victor Brandt (Totalt Jävla Mörker), Matte Modin (ex-Dark Funeral) and Alex Friberg (Necrophobic). Decent enough song, but the rest have to be a lot better than to get a spot in my collection. Heard it all before, often much better. But damn, that delivery by L-G Petrov is great. Powerful as fuck by one of the coolest guys in the genre.

New supergroup with L-G Petrov (ex-Entobed and Nihilist), Fredrik Folkare (Unleashed, Necrophobic), Victor Brandt (Totalt Jävla Mörker), Matte Modin (ex-Dark Funeral) and Alex Friberg (Necrophobic). Decent enough song, but the rest have to be a lot better than to get a spot in my collection. Heard it all before, often much better. But damn, that delivery by L-G Petrov is great. Powerful as fuck by one of the coolest guys in the genre.

Yeah, heard this morning, seems promising. Let's see what comes out from these guys.

So Cult of Fire seemed to play THE concert of the year this weekend at Brutal Assault. Had an own stage built just for them, an own opening act in form of ibetian munks who performed some kind of a shamanic, ritualistic throat singing or something, with lots of incense and pyro and their own funeral pyre on the stage. It will apparently be eleased on VHS. If so, a must have! But these guys just doesn't play around. They don't pretend to be a band.

And must-see live band for anyone interested in concerts. You don't have to like their music, but this is a band that should be experienced live. THey're on the same level as bands such as Ghost and Rammstein for sure. Offering something very unique and cool.

Demonaz has today reviled that Immortal is not dead and that him and Horgh is continuing and have a few songs ready. I expect Demonaz to be the vocalist, Horgh the drummer and either or both Ice Dale and King of Hell om guitars and bass. Hope they find someone else to handle the guitars and bass though.

I wish I could be happy about Nile, but I just can't and especially not newer Nile. No dynamic, no feeling, and the band sound so flat, especially on their last four albums. I cannot think about many death metal bands which is as uninteresting as Nile post-In Their Darkened Shrines.

Well they're not my top but I can say I quite enjoy their style especially in 'Those Who The Gods Detest' and lyrics of course. I was quite waiting new album, still haven't heard it but I have good expectations.

yesssssssssssssssssssssss