The general Metal discussion thread

10 hours ago, The Reverend said:

Filled in for a sick driver this morning at work.... today my bus passengers were subjected to Celtic Frost's Into the Pandemonium and Death Angel's Frolic Through the Park

That's an album that hasn't aged very well at all. It's like they got tired of thrash metal after one single album and decided they were gonna become a MTV band. Only The Ultra-Violence and Kill as One are real! 

The band was very young at the time of this release, but the drummer Andy Galeon  was 12 fucking years old as this was recorded. That is insane! Singer Mark Osegueda was 15 years old. 

It's also pretty insane that the drummer was only 14 years old during the recording of their debut album, an album that has clearly stood the test of time and is getting better as it gets older. One of the very best US thrash metal albums of the 80's. Raw and hard, yet catchy as fuck. Just try listening to Kill as One without making a single noise. That shit is hard. Catchy as fuck and with crazy vocals throughout. KILL!! AS!! ONE!!

It's already posted in two threads, but one or five more won't hurt. Cover art is just sensational, as is the track. Starts off as a 80's Iron Maiden epic before it moves into more familiar territory as far as Sigh goes, but like always they've made something that's very different from everything they've done before, as well as what other bands have and currently are doing.

Love that 70's prog inspired middle section as well. Gorgeous! The ending with the Iron Maiden-esque riff and the clean vocals are the best thing I've heard all year long. Dear God!

And while Shinichi Ishikawa is still my all time favourite guitarist, the addition of You Oshima as his replacement was a work of genius tbh. You can hear he's really put his own style into this song, and both his style of riffing and especially solos are excellent. Judging from this song, he's a bit more relaxed and controlled this time around. While I did grow into loving his guitar playing on Graveward, he might have wanted to do a bit too much with the solos.

Edited by Bear

3 hours ago, Bear said:

Guess the band without cheating

Geez they look young.

I'm gonna guess Slayer cause I think they were teenagers when they started and maybe around the right time period (but these dudes look very British so I doubt I'm right)

Legion of the damned have published a new lyric video promoting their new album "Slaves Of The Shadow Realm" to be released on 2019.01.04.

Tracklist :

1    The Widow´s Breed
2    Nocturnal Commando
3    Charnel Confession
4    Slaves of the Southern Cross
5    Warhounds of Hades
6    Black Banners in Flames
7    Shadow Realm of the Demonic Mind
8    Palace of Sin
9    Dark Coronation / Outro

Even after all these years I still can't tell if this is supposed to be a serious band or a metal parody by listening to their music. Got Malevolent Rapture for my birthday in 2006 and thought my brother was fucking around. You know, like he got this shitty CD for free and decided to give it to me as a joke, before he brought forth his real present. But it was the present. By far the worst and shittiest present I've ever been gifted. And this sounds exactly like that. One ultra-generic riff after another, tired-as-fuck vocals, and boring and over-produced to te point where everything sounds artificial as fuck. If someone told me that no instruments were actually played on the albums and that everything is programmed on a computer, I'd have no problem believing them. Awful.

One of the very worst metal bands I've heard. Which is weird, because I actually like Occult (with the exception of the last album) and this is basically a continuation of Occult. But in Occult they played a much rawer, darker, blacker, dynamic and more intense side of the band lending more towards black than death metal. Occult's got more in common with Desaster and Usurper, than Deathchain and newer The Crown (which is fucking awful!). There's only two ex-members of Occult in the band today, but when they started in 2006 all four members had previously been in Occult. There was a slightly change in direction tho, which might explain the change of name. 

I highly recommend Occult.

22 hours ago, Bear said:

Even after all these years I still can't tell if this is supposed to be a serious band or a metal parody by listening to their music. Got Malevolent Rapture for my birthday in 2006 and thought my brother was fucking around. You know, like he got this shitty CD for free and decided to give it to me as a joke, before he brought forth his real present. But it was the present. By far the worst and shittiest present I've ever been gifted. And this sounds exactly like that. One ultra-generic riff after another, tired-as-fuck vocals, and boring and over-produced to te point where everything sounds artificial as fuck. If someone told me that no instruments were actually played on the albums and that everything is programmed on a computer, I'd have no problem believing them. Awful.

One of the very worst metal bands I've heard. Which is weird, because I actually like Occult (with the exception of the last album) and this is basically a continuation of Occult. But in Occult they played a much rawer, darker, blacker, dynamic and more intense side of the band lending more towards black than death metal. Occult's got more in common with Desaster and Usurper, than Deathchain and newer The Crown (which is fucking awful!). There's only two ex-members of Occult in the band today, but when they started in 2006 all four members had previously been in Occult. There was a slightly change in direction tho, which might explain the change of name. 

I highly recommend Occult.

I do not know how you can say that but I guess that to each their own ^^ 

The Russian band Second to Sun have published a new clip called "The Train 1702". 

Their new album 'THE WALK' is scheduled to be released on 2018.11.25.

Tracklist :

1. We Are Not Alone

2. Black Lines 

3. Home

4. From Outer Space

5. The Train 1702 vidéo

6. The Owls

7. New World Order

8. To Live 

9. We Are Alone

From the band : "This song is based on the urban legend of the North of Russia. It is about the freight train number 1702, which travels through the deep forests of Northern Europe. According to legend, during the journey, the crew meets an alien object that first surrounds the train, and then picks up the train and moves it with a giant speed."

a3874627365_16.jpg

a3258317218_16.jpg

By now, SARGEIST require no introduction. For nearly 20 years now, the band - led by erstwhile HORNA guitarist/songwriter Shatraug, who's arguably the most prolific metal musician of that same period - have been at the forefront of the ever-fertile Finnish black metal scene. In fact, alongside HORNA, one could say that SARGEIST are the most influential band of that scene, which has gone on to influence countless other worldwide scenes in this millennium. 

And while each SARGEIST full-length has been a stunning snapshot of the band's headspace during that point in time, so, too, does the long-awaited Unbound provide a poignant portrait - one of a nearly reinvented lineup, but one just as vital. Gone is the "classic" SARGEIST lineup that included longstanding co-conspirators Torog and Horns (vocals and drums, respectively). Now, a rhythm section - bassist Abysmal and drummer Gruft - who together possess a wealth of experience in the Finnish metal underground; erstwhile Nightbringer and ADAESTUO guitarist VJS, whose activities also span other bands and continents; and vocalist Profundus, who's been an incredibly prolific drummer the last couple decades, and who's lately most renown as the vocalist for Desolate Shrine. 

Despite this seemingly significant change, the SARGEIST aesthetic remains resolute and unyielding - indeed, they are more Unbound than ever. Grimy yet spectral, icily melodic but burning with a desperation beyond compare, songwriting that cuts to the heart of the purest black metal but reverentially receives it blood: the SARGEIST of Unbound are a band renewed and revitalized, prepared to keep the throne they've occupied these many years through a subtle yet studied refinement. Not for nothing has this lineup been active on the live front, and upon the release of Unbound are heading out on a European tour with esteemed labelmates ACRIMONIOUS and CHAOS INVOCATION. 

https://wtcproductions.bandcamp.com/album/unbound

Didn't know they were about to drop a new album, but this sounds excellent as always.

Track from the remastered and remixed version of Grand Declaration of War. Sure, it sounds "better" with a much thicker and beefier sound, but it's just lacking something imo. The overly triggered drums and thin sound of the original is half the reason why it is so fucking good. It totally matches the weird music and its atmosphere. Will not be getting this. Like ever. Sounds kinda boring, despite the riffing being totally fucking fantastic.

The change of cover art is really boring too. The original is more than fine as it is.

Hmmm this remix... The original was perfectly fine as it was imo. Like you said, the overall sound suited the atmosphere excellently. Then again, I don't hear anything wrong with this new sound either, it's just kinda pointless to have. Sooo... I guess it'll be good for a download, heh.

14 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Hmmm this remix... The original was perfectly fine as it was imo. Like you said, the overall sound suited the atmosphere excellently. Then again, I don't hear anything wrong with this new sound either, it's just kinda pointless to have. Sooo... I guess it'll be good for a download, heh.

Sure, the sound itself isn't bad. Sounds beefier and very natural, I just don't think it fits the material very much. The militant atmosphere and industrial feeling was just completely gone. And that's what truly makes this a special and unique album IMO. The combination of the weird riffing, Maniac's mad, militant vocal performance, Hellhammer's superb performance with the disgustingly triggered drums all topped by a the super thin, machine-like production that doesn't make much sense. It makes for such a good album. One of the more unique black metal albums of the 2000's, and that says a lot.

Edited by Bear

1 hour ago, Bear said:

The combination of the weird riffing, Maniac's mad, militant vocal performance, Hellhammer's superb performance with the disgustingly triggered drums all topped by a the super thin, machine-like production that doesn't make much sense. It makes for such a good album.

This, exactly. It somehow works.

By the way I'm just on this new Sargeist, pretty cool stuff! I have the new One Tail, One Head and the new Deathhammer lined up next~

That's some very good choices, Jig. Especially Deathhammer. More of the same, but these guys truly know how to write riffs. Every single album is just one big, fat riff-o-rama without a single bad riff. Amazing!

Nice! Germany's Ødelegger has a new album coming out too. Straight-forward and simplistic black metal in the vein of Ildjarn. Fucking love this band and can't wait for this album. Should be mean, raw andmaterials hateful as fuck.

The death/black metal band Outre have revealed a new track from their new album "Hollow Earth" ! The album will come out on 2018.10.26 !

Tracklist:

01. Spheres within
02. The Order of Abhorrence
03. Combustion
04. Let the earth be silent
05. Distant Daylight
06. Aberrations
07. Hollow Earth

6 minutes ago, The Piass said:

The death/black metal band Outre have revealed a new track from their new album "Hollow Earth" ! The album will come out on 2018.10.26 !

So excited for this!!! I'll try not to listen to the advance tracks to keep it all a surprise. :D 

Devouring Star will release their new album "The Arteries of Heresy" on the same day as well, another excellent black metal band.

Edited by Jigsaw9

I was very intrigued by Devouring Star's debut and kept praising it for a long time, but since then I've kinda lost interest in both the album and everything they've done since. And I am pretty sure I know why. Iceland! Bands like Svartidauði, Sinmara, Wormlust, Carpe Noctem, Misþyrming, Zhrine and more are all making that type of black metal where bands like Deathspell Omega, Ulcerate, Dodecahedron, Portal, Gorguts and so on seem to be a huge part of their influence. But I think all these Icelandic bands do it a lot better than Devouring Star, which kinda made me lose interest as they now seem like a z-grade Deathspell OMega "knock-off". 

I will still check the album out, but I am not sure my expectations are very high tbh.

Been listening a lot to the new Behemoth lately, but I am not feeling it tbh. Some of the songs are great, but as a whole it feels flat, safe, uninspired and sterile. And extremely straight-forward. When Nergal told us to expect some WTF-shit I thought they'd taken the sound of The Satanist and fucked it up even more. Gone wilder, crazier and more experimental/daring. But I Loved You At Your Darkest makes The Satanist sound like a  wild, progressive avant-garde album that's just out there. Which it truly isn't.

I enjoy the post-punk/goth rock influences, but the album falls flat on its ass IMO. Super disappointed. 4/10