The general Metal discussion thread

19 minutes ago, Bear said:

http://caligarirecords.bandcamp.com/

Currently listening to Gloam. Black/doom metal with a small twist. There's a lot to get a hold on here though, so fully understanding the album is gonna take some time. But it sounds very, very promising. Almost sounds a bit old Opeth-esque at times, just blacker, doomier and bleaker. It's weird.

I checked out Gloam last year after seeing a mention of them somewhere (Vice maybe?) and indeed Hex of Nine Heads is awesome.

Heading to caligari's bandcamp now to see if there are some other gems! Good lookin' out.

I'd recommend you to just check out everything to be honest. If you like 80's black, death, thrash and doom you'll find some proper gems there. It's my type of label for sure.

By the way, Heathen, who's got one release on CaliGari records, have 7 albums to their name. Five in 2015 and two in 2016. All albums are self-titled. It's as stupid and retarded as it is funny and amusing. I've only heard the first album which was re-released by CaliGari records and I really like that one. Will check out the others as well. It's very Burzum-esque.

http://caligarirecords.bandcamp.com/album/heathen

It's been a long time since Hail Spirit Noir announced their new album, Mayhem In Blue, but suddenly it turned quiet for half a month. But they have finally revealed a new track and it's absolute immense. Holy fucking shit, it's even better than I had dared hoped for.  The synth gives a real sense of horror. Fantastic!

We're in for another brilliant psychedelic/progressive rock/black metal album here. I cannot wait for this to be released!

I have something a little different to share. I discovered this band on a Youtube recommendation. They are called Oceans of Slumber and have the unique element of having a black woman for a singer. Thankfully she doesn't do the horrid screamo that is so typical of metal, she sings with a very soulful sound. Then again, the band is a decided prog metal band, more like Dream Theater than grindcore. Hope you like.

On 8/25/2016 at 0:34 AM, Bear said:

I like Deafheaven and all, but those are the worst, most unfitting moves I've evern seen anyone do on stage. Was supossed to see them live at the last day of Pstereo last saturday but decided not to buy tickets because I didn't think they would be good enough to pay all that money just for these guys, and after seeing that I'm very happy about it, and I can see I did the right thing. Eeeeew!

I know this post is a bit old but I wanted you to know that this really cracked me up. My sides are in orbit!  I actually bookmarked this to get a good laugh every now and then.  Those moves a fucking impressive, now I want to see a VK band pull this off. Preferably Kisaki or Dada.

Edited by Atreides

It's hilarious, but it's the kind of shit that'll keep me away fro future Deafheaven gigs. Ew.

Discovered Owls Woods Graves the other day. The band features two guys from Medico Peste, but both are live members of Mgła and it does sound like they've gotten soe inspiration from there. Some of the black metal parts sounds like a punkier Mgła (the opening track surely has some Mgła-esque melodies), the punk often sounds neocrust inspired. Can hear a bit of Tragedy and His Hero Is Gone in the riffing. Neat as fuck!

Top notch cover art too:

608486.jpg

RUDE_Remnants_Cover-WWW.jpg

On „Remnants...“ the band present 9 brandnew filthy and authentic classic Death Metal songs still in the vein of Pestilence, Morbid Angel or Nocturnus. No drum-trigger, no bombast, no bullshit...just DEATH METAL to the bone.

„Remnants...“ will be released together with the new WOUND album on January 20th. 2017 by FDA Rekotz/ Soulfood Music on CD, Digital Download and strictly limited deluxe Digipaks. The vinyl version follows later together with a big surprise for the European fans.

The pre-sale for „Remnants...“ CD/ltd.DIGI/Shirt/Longsleeve Shirt and limited bundles starts on SUNDAY 23rd. of October at 10.00AM – www.FDA-REKOTZ.com !!

Track listing:

01. Torrent To the Past
02. House Of Dust
03. Blood Sucker
04. Interpretations Of The Ultimate Finality
05. Remnants...
06. Fracturing The Gates Of Truth
07. Sanctuary
08. ReBoot
09. Children Of Atom

Holy shot, I've been waiting for this album for such a long time now. Rude's debut album, Soul Recall from 2014, was among the best, if not THE best album from 2014 and I expect this to have the same impact on 2016.  Soul Recall was like a beautiful mix of Pestilence's "Consuming Impulse" and "Testimony of the Ancients", Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness" and Death' "Leprosy", and is a must-have to any death metal fans IMO.

My expectations? Sky high!

This is a brilliant EP. Death/thrash heavily influenced by Pestilence, especially their classic "Consuming Impulse". As unoriginal as it gets, but fantastic anyway.

The entire Graveceeper album is up for listening at their bandcamp now: https://gatecreeper.bandcamp.com/album/sonoran-depravation

If you're the type of person that just can't get enough of early swedish death metal and worship the altar of bands such as Grave, Dismember, Entombed and so on then this is for you. It's more of the same, but it surely does the job done.

Greek Gods Zemial recently released a new EP and as usual it's fantastic. Unlike the progressive, space-rock-influenced black/thrash masterpiece that was Nykta, The Repairer of Reputations doesn't have any metal in it. But it does feature some of the spacey atmosphere of Nykta, and it surely sounds like Zemial. Cool release, if not exactly Zemial's best.

https://zemial.bandcamp.com/

Greek epic black metallers Agatus (with Eskarth the Dark One and his brother Archon Vorskaath (Zemial) returns after 4 years of silence with their first full-lenght since 2002, and it's a great one. But the black metal is more or less all gone, and in are the epic heavy/power metal they started to play around with on their previous release, Gilgamesh. More often than not it sounds like classic greek black metal in the form of heavy/power metal. I'm diggin' this release.

https://agatus.bandcamp.com/album/the-eternalist

What happened to this thread? It's too dead, guys.

Psuchedelic prog black metallers Hail Spirit Noir is out with a new album called Mayhem In Blue, and it's up for streaming on the band's bandcamp: https://hailspiritnoir.bandcamp.com/

Sounds as good, fresh, excellent and unique as their two other outputs. Once again they manage to give us something that sounds Hail Spirit Noir, but still is completely unique and different. I almost want to call this album a bit more carnival-esque than previous albums. A bit early to say, but I think this sounds better than the second album too, which was a great album too btw.

^ Sorry, I would write in here if I had the time to react/listen to all the potentially awesome new stuff coming out, but these past weeks the only thing I wanna listen to is just random old stuff. xD

In the spirit of that comment: Weedeater is pretty kickass! Been spinning them (along with some Eyehategod and Dopethrone) recently.

9 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

(along with some Eyehategod

Speaking of New Orleans sludgy metal shit: Crowbar and Goatwhore just announced a show near me in December! So I've been spinning some of their older stuff this week.

^ Cool stuff! I'll see Crowbar in November too, alongside Overkill, which should be an interesting/nice pairing. :D

Also, Goatwhore are killer live too.

Edited by Jigsaw9

2000056422.jpg

https://blackholegenerator.bandcamp.com/album/a-requiem-for-terra

Holy shit, the wait is over. It's only taken them 10 years since their debut EP, the excellent Black Karma. Really looking forward to this. The track sounds superb!

Black Karma was in the vein of mid-era Anaal Nathrakh (Domine Non Es Dignus, Eschaton), and just as good. Not as brutal and a bit more traditional sounding, but the vocals by the Vulture Industries' Bjørnar Nilsen is way better. More varied, more powerful. But this new track didn't sound much like Anaal Nathrakh at all, though. And I am fine with that.

The year is almost over and there's only a few releases remaining, and gotta say it was a great fucking year imo. Have you guys an idea of your top 10/15/20 albums of the year already? It's going to be impossible for me to make a top 10 seeing how many releases I absolutely loved, I'm gonna be forced to make a top 15 AT LEAST.

How would your 'top albums of the year' list look like so far?

Edited by Visutox

Only a few releases remaining? Are you a total madman, my friend? I'm still looking forward to so god damn many releases. Here's a list of albums I know will be released bewfore the year is over:

Cultes des Ghoules - Coven, or Evil Ways Instead of Love

Obscure Evil - Void Fumes

Quintessenz - To the Gallows

Ash Borer - The Irrepassable Gate

Mortualia- Wild, Wild Misery

Vader - The Empire

Downfall of Nur / Selvans

Rudra - Enemy of Duality

Saor - Guardians

Furia - Księżyc milczy luty

Blazon Stone - Ready for Boarding

Black Hole Generator - A Requiem for Terra

Antaeus Condemnation

Hellripper - Complete and Total Fucking Mayhem

Gotsu Totsu Kotsu - Where Warriors Once Dreamed a Dream

Fetid Zombie - Epicedia

Master of Cruelty - Archaic Visions of the Underworld

Scorched - Echoes of Dismemberment

Root - Kärgeräs - Return from Oblivion

Sarkom - Anti-Cosmic Art

FromHell - March on Gravitation

Revel in Flesh - Emissary of All Plagues

Ranger - Speed & Violence

Arma - Rock n' Roll Murderers

Isengard - Traditional Doom Cult

Primitive - Negro Metal da Morte

Venefixion - Armorican Deathrites

Sacrificio - Guerra eterna

Witchtower - Hammer of Witches

So of these have leaked and some are up for streaming, but I have yet to hear 'em, and no one are officially out yet. So I have a lot to look forward to, that's for sure.

Will come back with a top 10 later.

You're gonna be a busy one, good luck for coming up with your top 10 omg. AND holy shit I didn't know there'll be a new Gotsu Totsu Kotsu album! 

I'm really looking forward the new Rudra, Furia and Vader albums. Btw I really enjoyed that EP from Furia, there's no way to be more metal than the way they recorded it hahah. 

And yeah Saor's new album already leaked, gonna probably check it out in the next few days. 

Edited by Visutox

Yes, the Furia EP was very good. Might be the best they've done so far.

I think the Cultes des Ghoules album might end up as the album of the year for me, at least based on the two tracks released. Two tracks, 30+ minutes of crazy good black metal. Still got four tracks to go, and I believe one of them is something like 35+ minutes long as the release is a 2xCD release and this is placed all alone on CD2. Gonna be a massive album!

Great year in metal so far, I agree. :) As it is now, these albums stood out to me the most (and I still haven't listened to a handful of potentially awesome releases!).

Spektr – The Art to Disappear
Chthe'ilist – Le Dernier Crépuscule
Gehennah - Too Loud to Live, Too Drunk to Die
Khanus - Rites of Fire
Cobalt - Slow Forever
Bus - The Unknown Secretary
Uada - Devoid of Light
Occult Burial - Hideous Obscure
Vektor - Terminal Redux
Kvelertak - Nattesferd
Nails - You Will Never Be One of Us
Denner/Shermann - Masters of Evil
Sewercide - Immortalized in Suffering
Asphalt Graves - The New Primitive
Hellbringer - Awakened From The Abyss
Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
Tortorum - Rotten. Dead. Forgotten.
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation
Anaal Nathrakh - The Whole of the Law

Alcest - Kodama

Hexenslaught - Demo 2016

Abigail - The Final Damnation

Cradle of Filth - Dusk... and Her Embrace - The Original Sin

Satan's Vomit - Back to the Beginning

Ithaqua - The Black Mass Sabbath Pulse

Moonsorrow - Jumalten aika

Blood Ceremony - Lords of Misrule

Ripper - Experiment of Existence

Uada - Devoid of Light
Occult Burial - Hideous Obscure
Vektor - Terminal Redux

Hail Spirit Noir - Mayhem in Blue

Demon Bell - Steel Sorcery

Nuctemeron - Knights of Hell

I've probably forgotten a lot of great albums, but I'm pretty sure I'll keep listening to these release for many, many years from now on. Awesome stuff!

New Ulcerate is my MAOTY so far but the new Deathspell Omega might come out on top after a few more listens. The only metal I really listen to at this stage is technical-ish stuff which this year has been great for.

Especially these past few weeks. Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, Ulcerate and Deathspell Omega in the space of a few weeks. All technical/mathy all in their own way but really different in sound. And then there is Vektor's album and Gorgut's EP released earlier this year.

I feel spoiled this year but I guess it makes up for the past few years.

^ I agree, Meshuggah and TDEP both released extremely solid albums this year (not to mention Vektor too, yep!).

Just started listening to the new Deathspell Omega, so far so good.