The general Metal discussion thread

On 11/8/2019 at 8:08 PM, Bear said:

Midnight doesn't disappoint, so this is pretty cool. Sleazy and filthy black speed metal.

Anyone check out the album (Rebirth by Blasphemy)? I'm blasting it just now, it's pretty nice! Their last one wasn't too memorable for me, but this one feels like a more proper kick in the balls (in a good way). :D 

Yeah, it's pretty cool, but still pretty far from their greatest achievement which is Complete and Total Fucking Midnight. It isn't anywhere near Satanic Royalty either. But it's a fun record for sure. Right now I feel like bands like Hellripper, Viölence, Bewitcher, Exorcisme, Hell Poison, Reaper, Diabolic Night, Nuctemeron, Demon Bell and more are making better black speed metal albums, although someone like Hellripper, Exorcisme, Diabolic Night, Nuctemeron, Hell Poison and more are way more furious and speedy, with and less rock 'n' roll than Midnight.

This is way more rock 'n' roll and probably a bit more similar to Midnight, and I feel like they are doing Midnight better than Midnight right now. Really catchy stuff.

And since I am already here:

821014.jpg?2314

Spectral Lore / Mare Cognitum - Wanderers: Astrology of the Nine

Split release between cosmic black metallers Spectral Lore and Mare Cognitum, who released a split back in 2013 called Sol. Sol was 3 tracks and 69 minutes long, with both bands having one song each as well as a collaboration between them. This new split however consists of 10 songs and is no less than 2 hours long. Both bands having 4 songs each and two collaboration tracks. Really looking forward to this.

811485.jpg?4847

Reaper - Unholy Nordic Noise

These guys released a brilliant black/speed demo last year, and is already back with their debut album. Really looking forward to this. Should be good.

Can't find anything off their new album, but here's the demo:

https://ironboneheadproductions.bandcamp.com/album/reaper-ravenous-storm-of-piss

a3203185009_10.jpg

Hell Poison - Burn With Me

This album is from last year, but seems to have gone under the radar for most people. Raw, wild black speed metal in the vein of Bathory, Hellripper, Hin Håle, old Sodom, Diabolic Night, Nuctemeron, Nocturnal and more. Superb album!

a2163600483_10.jpg

Oath of Cruelty - Summary Execution at Dawn

Deathrash album from last year. Mean and brutal death thrash. Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness meets Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death. Great album.

53 minutes ago, Bear said:

This is way more rock 'n' roll and probably a bit more similar to Midnight, and I feel like they are doing Midnight better than Midnight right now. Really catchy stuff.

Hell yeah, this Viölence shit is awesome!! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be sure to check out their stuff (I see they only have a small handful so far).

Happy you liked it, mate.

Should we start with the good or bad news? Good? Ok:

New Vader track from an upcoming album planned for release in May. Sounds really good, Best track in ages? Like... Litany? That's fucking 20 years.

Saw them live a few months ago too. Was really fucking good!

And the bad news:

ABSU Dissolves; Statement from Proscriptor McGovern

For Immediate Release – January 27, 2020

After meager deliberation and zero remorse, I have decided to dissolve ABSU after three decades of existence. Collectively and universally speaking, this decision is finite due to insoluble circumstances, which has led to this ultimate result. No amount of time, exertion, formula or fashion can alter my verdict.

Refusing to further comment on the subject, I leave thee with the following enchantment:

{Vii} For there are bitter waters of Chaos held immobile under (the) ground – And the Sovereigns, who personify them, reign over Opacities and Beyond.

[II] Beseech these All-Begetters in darkness, outside the circles of time. In Chaos’ sleight of hand, the Deep will respond.”

{Vi} Never Blow Out The Eastern Candle – Proscriptor McGovern (Russ R. Givens)

That fucking sucks! Seems like them kicking Vis Crom out of the band after she came out as a trans woman might have something to do with it.

I thought the last two Absu albums were disappointing, but I've really been waiting hard for their next albums anyways. They were always really unique, and you knew they'd offer something very fresh and original. But everything up until and including Speed n' Spikes Vol. II from 2008 were top notch. This sucks!

Hell yeah, that Vader track!

Hell nooo, Absu! :( I wasn't a big fan of them or anything, but they always delivered quality (well, mostly anyway). Saw them once live too, really crazy energy! They will be missed.

On 1/28/2020 at 5:21 PM, Jigsaw9 said:

Hell nooo, Absu! :( I wasn't a big fan of them or anything, but they always delivered quality (well, mostly anyway). Saw them once live too, really crazy energy! They will be missed.

What have you heard?

This shit, man. One of the best fucking black thrash metal songs ever. Well, the entire album is an absolute beast of an album. Still super unique to this day, 23 years after it was still released. 

I see. I'd totally recommend diving deep into their whole discography. They've always been a unique band. 

Barathrum: V.I.T.R.I.O.L. is a unique death metal album. It's dark and furious, but epic at the same time.

The Sun of Tiphareth is still a unique album, but more black and thrash metal influenced than the debut. Still epic, but less so than the debut.

The Third Storm of Cythrául is even more thrashing and less epic, but still unique as hell. But it's still epic tho. Aggressive, dark and furious as fuck.

Tara is just...holy fuck. One of the most intense black/thrash metal albums ever. Less epic but with the intensity turned up to 11. Pay close attention to Proscriptor McGovern's drumming. One of the best drum performances on a metal album ever? It's...impressive. And even more impressive is it that he plays this shit live WHILE handling the vocals. That's just outrageous.

a1774518990_10.jpg

https://unceremonial.bandcamp.com/album/artes-aterrimus

This shit's so good. It has that early to mid-90's melodic black/death metal sound of bands like Sacramentum, Unanimated, Cardinal Sin and the likes. Really cool stuff.

a3179145054_10.jpg

https://blackreaper.bandcamp.com/album/celestial-descension

Much of the same as the above band, but with more black metal ala Dissection. Good shit!

On 1/27/2020 at 10:53 PM, Bear said:

ABSU Dissolves

Haven't been here in a long time and when I come back I learn of THIS. 

I'm obviously mad about it but I can't say I'm surprised though? Haven't heard any news about them in a long time and that usually isn't a good sign.

I'm gonna have to re-explore their discography, but my favorite is definitely Tara. Then again Absu was an incredible band. 

The Sun Of Tiphareth is a very good album too. And I also love their last album, Abzu.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:14 PM, Bear said:

Much of the same as the above band, but with more black metal ala Dissection. Good shit!

Yooo, this was one of my favorite albums from 2018! Glad seeing you mentioning it and reminding me of its existence, need to get back to it one of these days.

As far as 2020 goes, I enjoyed the new Kawir and Odious Mortem albums. 

I feel like Kawir's new might grow on me a lot, we'll see.

So I should give the new Kawir a fair chance?  Kawir is one of those bands that's always been super interesting and have never been boring, but aside from a few early releases I've never managed to quite get into them. Suicidogenic / Sinn (Sigh/Kawir split), Eumenides, To Cavirs, Epoptia and the Kawir / Nocternity split are all amazing, but aside from those I have not really managed to get into any of their albums or releases. They're not bad at all. In fact, they're pretty good and super interesting, and not to mention unique, but they kinda won't stick. I just can't fully get into them.

i know theyre definitely one of those bands people either love or hate but avenged sevenfold just re-released their b-sides album from 2008 now with some other unreleased tracks to anyone who's interested. theres a good chance some tracks here people have missed out on if they used to be into the band

First track from the upcoming The Black Dahlia Murder album Verminous. Is it just me or is this surprisingly un-melodic? It does have a melodic death metal touch to it, but just not as melodic as before? The solo halfway into the track is fabolous. So simple, but so majestic and effective.

Sounds like more of the same tbh, albeit maybe a bit darker and heavier. It's interesting how they've found their by far most talented vocalist ever, and do not do anything to utilize her talent whatsoever here. This is some of the most boring vocal lines they've ever had. Sounds like the song was written for a straight up pop vocalist. Silly.

New Oranssi Pazuzu album coming and this trailer sure sounds interesting. Fantastic band, and one of those bands who really manages to take you on a journey through cosmos, space and time.

I'm not quite sure if I dig this or not. Hmm.

SWEVEN - THE ETERNAL RESONANCE

When it was decided to put Morbus Chron to rest, I had begun working on what was originally supposed to be our third record. It has been a strenuous battle stretching from then to now. It is time to leave the trenches.

The Eternal Resonance is due to be released on March 20th by Ván Records. Cover artwork as always by the fantastic Raul Gonzalez. Track list as follows:

I. The Spark
II. By Virtue Of A Promise
III. Reduced To An Ember
IV. The Sole Importance
V. Mycelia
VI. Solemn Retreat
VII. Visceral Blight
VIII. Sanctum Sanctorum

More info to come.

/Robert on behalf of Sweven

sweven.jpg

So a new band featuring Robert Andersson of Morbus Chron with material he originally wrote for Morbus Chron. With him he's got Isak Koskinen Rosemarin (Conflagrator, Speglas) and Jesper Nyrelius (Speglas). I initially wasn't too big on Sweven when it was released, but it's gotten better with the years. It still ain't anywhere close to their debut album, first EP or demo. But I am looking forward to this. Gorgeous cover art.

Some other quite exciting news:

Göden (ex-Winter) Sign to Svart Records; Debut Album Beyond Darkness Coming May 7

Göden – Beyond Darkness – Svart Records

Göden is the spiritual successor to Winter, a band that has been heavily influential and highly revered in the metal underground since its inception and treasured demos. A long-awaited continuation of what Winter would have been from co-founder Stephen Flam’s vision, the new album “Beyond Darkness” throws us into an existential voyage out of the past and into the future. A familiar yet distinctive new opus that expands the unmapped shadow world that Winter once opened in our nightmares.

A soundtrack that takes the listener on a dark and ominous journey, Beyond Darkness is a conceptual deep dive into wildly unexplored and unknown sonic territory. The story has three characters, each with different symbols: Stephen Flam as “Spacewinds”, the time and space in which these characters dwell; Vas Kallas as “NXYTA (Goddess of Night)”, lead vocalist and the darkness: Tony Pinnisi as “The Prophet of Göden”, who speaks in the name of Göden and is the light, plays keyboards and also played in Winter. Beyond Darkness is a tale of the dark and the light, set to a score of heavy music.

The artwork was conceived by Eva Petric, a Slovene multimedia artist based in Vienna, Austria and New York. Eva worked with Stephen Flam, creating a visual story book within the LP/CD booklet that the listener can look at while they are consumed by this heavy sound trip.

Stephen Flam leaves us in the outer blackness and inner gloom with these last words as ethereal guidance: “I hope you enjoy this endeavor. Listen with a free and open mind, and journey now Beyond Darkness.”

Interesting. For those not aware, Winter was a super influential death/doom band that released a demo, one full lenght and an EP from 89 to 94, then disbanded. The band is quite legendary and one of the darkest, grimmest and most crushing death/doom bands ever. Imagine if Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales and Emperor's Return had a baby with Amebix' Winter. That's Winter for you. Looking forward to this.

I can't believe how good this album is. It's been 14 years since his last album when this was released, and he's only released three full lenghts in 22(+?) years, but all three are absolute masterpieces of depressive black metal. And as far as I am concerned, they're 10/10 releases. Music wise this fits in-between the Burzum-esque depressive black metal of Hoffnungstod and his slower, more melancholic and Strid-esque Die Asche eines Lebens. Few bands within the subgenre og depressive black metal can be compared to Wigrid as far as quality goes.

One of the best news of the year for me so far: new Lychgate EP out on 13th March!

A track can already be listened to here: https://lychgate.bandcamp.com/album/also-sprach-futura

LYCHGATE here meld the swarming, stained-glass complexity of 20th Century classical, the phantasmagoric, intertwining riffage of progressive Death Metal, the heft and texture of Funeral Doom and the conceptual density of forward-thinking Black Metal into four of the most addictive, propulsive and potent compositions they have created to date.

Thematically the record examines nightmarish, all-too-real concepts which include transhumanism, simulacra and simulation, post-humanity, the uncanny valley, Pygmalionism and the fictional machine Golem XIV, which exceeds human intelligence.

Seems like it's gonna be a good one.

edit: also the opening track is on YT! Killer.

Edited by Jigsaw9

827555.jpg?0258

Naglfar - Cerecloth

I haven't been able to enjoy anything they released after the departure of Jens Rydén in 2005, with Sheol being their last good album IMO. But I'm still interested in hearing what they've come up with. Expectations is low tho.

Just came across this. Norwegian ambient black metal. 18 demos, four splits and four compilations gathering a couple of their demos on each is all they have so far (since 2017), but first impression is very good. Grim, cold and atmospheric, and quite obviously VERY inspired by Paysage d'Hiver. So if you're into Paysage d'Hiver, Vinterriket, Battle Dagorath etc. this is sure gonna please you. I only heard this compilation, but I will dig deeper into their discography for sure.

Edited by Bear

By the motherfucking way, speaking of Paysage d'HIver:

822857.jpg?4926

Paysage d'Hiver - Im Wald

21. february: We’re officially one step closer to the release of Paysage d'Hiver - Im Wald! The printing is done and everything is on its way for assembly.

13 tracks, 5 instrumentals, two fucking hours of music. They had a listening party for the album back in January, with exclusive Paysage d'Hiver beers and everything. But the physical release is right around the corner. Interestingly enough, this is actually considered an album, unlike the previous 10 which is counted as demos.

82943756_2957741884276249_47674771266370

For those lucky ones that will be able to come to the public listening of Im Wald, the new Paysage d'Hiver album: there will be 2 different BMOD brews available, both inspired by the new album.
The first one (Im Wald) is a gruit barleywine of 9,5%: sweet, warming and very herbal thanks to massive amounts of pinetips and heatherflowers. Coriander, juniperberries and cloves were also used to add another dimension to this already complex brew.
The 2nd BMOD brew (Eulengesang im Wald) is a kettle-soured gruit ale with only 7% alcohol. The same herbs were used, but only to complement the tartness of the lacto-fermentation. There is some residual sweetness, just enough to increase the mouthfeel.
Needless to say that I am extremely proud that I got the opportunity to create this beers for something that is completely out of this world. I cannot find the words to describe everything that I feel now, I will just let the beers express my inner self for now.

Fuck, I'd kill to be able to attend this. This surely is how you create a listening party that's interesting. Usually listening parties is just totally uninteresting, but this I'd kill to attend. Damn.

Edit: 

I was there! It was interesting, it was in a cellar type of room beneath a castle in Burgdorf. Around 50 or so people attended. The room was a small hall with tables and seats. The event started around 14h and went on until about 23h. There wasn't any "program" for the event but rather just casual drinking and socializing with black metal playing in the background up until around 19h when the guy behind Paysage d'Hiver sat with us at the table and talked very briefly about the album. Then for the next two and a half hours we sat in darkness and listened to the album (2hr) and 30 more minutes of demo material that didn't make it onto the album. There were also original paintings hanged on the wall that were used as album covers for several albums in his discography (Schattengang, Die Festung, Das Tor) and another painting which I didn't recognize from any album (but I could swear I saw it somewhere before). The album itself sounds (to me) like a continuation of Das Tor, it's definitely much more black metal than ambient. The whole album flows together and breaks between songs are filled with snow crunching sound and windstorms. After the event everyone who attended received the album on a USB stick encased in wood and engraved with a forest landscape. It's only a matter of time before someone leaks it onto the web I think. The album should come out as soon as they finish printing it (so he said on facebook day after). There was also beer brewed specially for the event which was... alright I guess. Lots of people took them as souvenirs.

Sounds sweet as hell.

Edited by Bear