The general Metal discussion thread

^ Fffffffinally indeed! Can't wait! The cover art looks kinda lame and artificial for my taste, but anyway it's the content that matters.

I don't mind the artwork. It's much better and old school looking than Dusk and Her Embrace - The Original Sin. They've done a much better job capturing the essence of the original here, than there. Anyway, this gonna be good. I hope.

Oh hellz yah! I'm about one listening in and this is fantastic as usual. Catchy, but not in a way that makes you tired of the album after 10 listens. Superb!

The post-Euronymous Mayhem cycle repeats. "Hey, maybe this one will be good." A year later nobody remembers the album...

The band's always bragging about how their latest album is "less triggered than usual" but Hellhammer's kit still sounds like shit.

Edited by hopefully_benign

Haven't checked out the new Mgła album yet (will do it this weekend!), but just saw them live two days ago at the start of their tour. They were pretty good as usual, tho the sound of the venue could've been a bit better. They played for about an hour and, truth be told, I got a bit tired by the end... and I dunno if it was just the song selection or what, but I've never noticed before how damn similar/samey their song structures are, lol. Was kinda comical after a while. In any case, it was an enjoyable show.

In other news, I'm just spinning the latest Devourment album (Obscene Majesty) for the first time, and maaaan this production is absolutely filthy! :D Like, ridiculously dense and heavy. It sure gives a whole new dimension to the brutality. The actual music is cool too, tho I'll have to listen to this one more so that everything clicks.

Staying on the death-metal front, Cattle Decapitation just dropped the first official track from their upcoming album "Death Atlas" (release date November 29) and as I expected it's typically them. Props to Travis yet again, he continues to remain my favorite extreme metal vocalist. His voice from 2:20 onwards = dat's the shit I like! Can't wait for the full-length, I bet it'll be just as amazing as their last two.

Speaking of amazing, I randomly searched for this US death metal band Vitriol because I noticed they'll be opening at Nile and Hate Eternal's gig next Friday and oh boy... this is gonna be gooooood. Also, lucky me, their debut album drops tomorrow, heh. Check this and watch out for the flesh-melting guitar solo:

I need to re-spin the Mgła album because besides the last track which is a masterpiece, the rest of the album was kinda meh. The drumming is fantastic tho. I preferred the Kriegsmaschine album from last year, and oh boy those drums. 

17 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

In other news, I'm just spinning the latest Devourment album (Obscene Majesty) for the first time, and maaaan this production is absolutely filthy! :D Like, ridiculously dense and heavy. It sure gives a whole new dimension to the brutality. The actual music is cool too, tho I'll have to listen to this one more so that everything clicks.

Their new album is fucking brutal! And I was skeptical about it because almost 50 minutes of sheer brutality doesn't usually do it for me but man, I kept enjoying it until I realized it was over.   

Vitriol are fantastic too, can't wait to check out their new record! Such talented lads. 

In other news, yesterday I saw Dopethrone live and it was crazy as hell. What a gig! Also they had two local bands who opened for them, "Seethr" a black metal band from Antwerp and "Big Fat Lukum" (Sludge/Stoner) from Namur. Leaving some links here in case any of you are curious about them: 

https://seethr.bandcamp.com/

https://bigfatlukum.bandcamp.com

17 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Haven't checked out the new Mgła album yet (will do it this weekend!), but just saw them live two days ago at the start of their tour. They were pretty good as usual, tho the sound of the venue could've been a bit better. They played for about an hour and, truth be told, I got a bit tired by the end... and I dunno if it was just the song selection or what, but I've never noticed before how damn similar/samey their song structures are, lol. Was kinda comical after a while. In any case, it was an enjoyable show.

Exactly the same feeling from when I saw them live. I left during the last or second last song iirc to skip the crowds. 

I fucking can't with the lyrics from this album tho lmao

"Herostrates for the modern day High on good conscience A noblest of sufferers On disinformation highway"

"And the last of misbelievers Will be trampled in the greatest of marches Toward the radiant future Where sheep are promised fangs And only after the graves are filled With remains of dissidents And the frame of reference is torched Together with forbidden thoughts"

"And the assassins in rose tinted glasses At the wrong end of the tunnel of light Practitioners of paramount scorn And those who'd rig moral compass rather than bridges"

I can't believe that in 2019 we have black metal complaining about liberals on the internet. Embarrassing.

Guyssssssss, new Nile!

New album "Vile Nilotic Rites" will be released on 2019/11/01, with the following tracklist:

01. Long Shadows Of Dread
02. The Oxford Handbook Of Savage Genocidal Warfare
03. Vile Nilotic Rites
04. Seven Horns Of War
05. That Which Is Forbidden
06. Snake Pit Mating Frenzy
07. Revel In Their Suffering
08. Thus Sayeth The Parasites Of The Mind
09. Where Is The Wrathful Sky
10. The Imperishable Stars Are Sickened
11. We Are Cursed

Can't waittttt

This song rips btw.

Edited by Jigsaw9

793954.jpg?3950

Wigrid - Entfremdungsmoment

https://wigrid.bandcamp.com/

It's been no less than 14 years since Wigrid last released an album, so this is a pleasant surprise. New track is excellent, and more similar to Wigrid's Burzum-worshipping demos and debut album Hoffnungstod, than the slower, more doomy and melancholic Die Asche eines Lebens, although it does carry some influence from Die Asche eines Lebens too. Can easily be heard in the slower moments of the track.

Both albums, and demos, are fantastic btw so it wouldn't be bad if it was more similar to Die Asche eines Lebens. But as Hoffnungstod is among my all time favourite black metal albums him going back to that style really does it for me.

Edited by Bear

I guess Mg(squigglyL)a are filling that space Inquisition left when they got canceled.  moderately edgy in a "Nietzsche was my favorite author when I was 15" sort of way without actually committing to any truly controversial/heretical modes of thinking (which lets them straddle the line between remaining underground and being "a big metal band"), admittedly talented, and they found their own "voice" in black metal without stepping over the boundaries of the genre into something else. but I'll be damned if anything I've heard of theirs really has that extra something that pushes GREAT bm into greatness.

Poland used to be full of bands who had that "something," at least back in the 90s. Even Behemoth had it before the death metal stuff.

It might not be that they're just targeting essjaydubbleyoos for the fun of it, they were a recent target of an unfair guilt-by-association nazi witchhunt. This new trend of hiding political diatribes in purple prose is cringeworthy though. Either be political or don't be, don't dress up the topical as high art.

Edited by hopefully_benign

How anyone can find something like this boring live is beyond me. Darkside alone is reason good enough to stay for the entire gig, and as long as the drums are clear in the mix everything else can be pretty muddy without it taking away all the enjoyment of the gig. The cymbal work is just beyond everything and anything.

First album by the Icelandic one-man band Vosbúð ! Cool record ! 

Also, first album by Hagzissa from Austria ! Very promising.

Necronautical have posted a new video a few days ago and it is as good as their last album. I still have to listen to their newest record which came out on 08.30 though.

Edited by The Piass

797345.jpg?4531

Batyushka - Батюшка

The band claims to be "a true БАТЮШКА band formed by the orthodox priests from Russia". It is not affiliated with the more famous Polish Batushka or any of its offshoots.

giphy.gif

Fucking hell, this shit is hilarious. We now got Batushka with Derph, Batushka with Bart and the new Batyushka. L O L!

HOLY SHIT. This will always be funnier than any visual kei bands stealing each other's names/songs/concepts 😂

then again it is sad that Batushka has turned out like this smhhhh ;w;

797480.jpg?4539

Another album by the new Batyushka.

Quotes from the first album: A true БАТЮШКА album by a band formed by the real orthodox priests from Russia. We are not some bunch of larping posers, but true christians.

Quotes from the second album: New Album (The previous was in fact a compilation of unreleased songs made back in 2005). Yes we are very old band.

lol. Kinda enjoyable trolling this.

Edited by Bear