The general Metal discussion thread

https://batushka-panihida.bandcamp.com/releases

The full new Batushka album from Krzysztof Drabikowski. Sounds like more of the same as the debut, and that's cool enough. Probably not gonna play this quite as much as I did the debut when it was released, but it's good.

New Denial of God track. 

777074.jpg?1407

Now this is gonna be awesome. Vothana was formed in 2003,  released 15 demos, four EPs and a split from 03 to 08, and now, after 11 years of silence, he's back with his debut album. This is gonna be aweomse. Grim and epic black metal in the vein of Moonblood, Vlad Tepes, Lycanthropy's Spell and more. Will probably be among the highlights of the year for me personally.

didn't know about the new batushka album,i'll give that a try,for sure.

can you guys recommend me some good WAR METAL in the vain of MARDUK and DESTROYER 666?

[edit: not the french ones,cuz i'm already into them ]

Edited by Euronymous

Do you mean war themed black metal? Cuz war metal (also known as bestial black metal) is something entirely different. War metal are bands that play a mixture of mostly black and death metal, and now and then they' mix in thrash and grindcore as well.

Some notable bands worth checking out:

Blasphemy

Archgoat

Black Witchery

Beherit (The Oath of Black Blood)

Sadomator/Sadogoat

Abhorer

Ah, aight. Well:

Endstille, espcially Dominanz. Very cool album.

Vreid

Operation Winter Mist

War (Sweden)

Cobalt

Harza

I think most of those are war themed, if not only war themed.

579847.jpg?4343

https://thegrindmother.bandcamp.com/

This is the type of band that will be seen as a gimmicky joke band, but Grindmother, consisting of RainForest (Corrupt Leaders) and Grindmother herself who's RainForest's 70 year old fucking mom. But this shit is actually legit as fuck. Their debut EP, Age of Destruction, is 10 tracks and 12 minutes of brutal grindcore in the vein of Wormrot. So it's more than a gimmick, it's actually legit and enjoyable grindcore.

a0574422074_10.jpg

Can't believe no one is talking about this album. This is technical death metal drenched with absurd synth and magic atmosphere. Occult, futuristic sci-fi death metal. Masterpiece! It's not quite as good as The Key, but it does sound like The Key. This could've been an album filled with tracks that were deemed not good enough for The Key, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Not at all. This is up there with the best death metal albums of the last two-two and a half decades. Dear god!

Man, this is so weird. These guys were among the early South-American black/death/thrash metal bands alongside Vulcanos, Sepultura, Mutilator, Sarcofago and so on, but after one wild album, the classic Campo de Extermínio, they moved into a more straight-forward thrash/crossover sound and then moves even further away from that playing around with more technical and progressive stuff, as well as some industrial shit. But then in 2016 they returned after 11 years of silence (or something) with something that sounds like the proper follow-up to Campo de Extermínio. Wild, barbaric and brutal black/death/thrash in the vein of the mid-80's South-American sound. Back in the 80's this shit was known as deathcore. Sounds amazing!

Fleshgod Apocalypse's new album "Veleno" is really great! I've Listened to it when it was dropped in May, and then found it on Youtube today!

Edited by Kyo_Toriko

Just dropped by to say I'm really enjoying the new Darkthrone album. Perfect old-school mix of (proto)black, thrash and doom.

BIG RIFFS, perfect to play LOUD.

edit: Not sure if I mentioned this before, but the new Ares Kingdom album slays too. Murky death-thrash onslaught.

Edited by Jigsaw9

I must say this album surprised me a lot. If I had listened to this without knowing it's Misþyrming I probably would not a guess it in a million years. More easy on the ear, way more melodic, and less Deathspell Omega- and Svartidauði-esque. But that's not negative and my first impression is that it is way, way better than their debut album. Really enjoying it.

Cool title and a very nice album artwork. I hope the music fit the title and artwork, but I doubt it. I guess it'll be another Borknagar album that won't be for me.

I'll still enjoy Borknagar no matter what, but I still miss Vintersorg a lot...the fact that he won't be part of this really breaks my heart. 💔 at least he's also cooking up something new.

Randomly found this old death metal band called Sepsism and their '95 demo and '98 album are just so perfectly produced and executed. The huge guitars, the relentless drum pounding, the tasty bass and barbaric vocals. The songs themselves... dare I say, catchy! TOTAL DEATH PERFECTION.

That's all.

Edited by Jigsaw9

Not a fan of brutal death metal myself so Sepsism ain't really my thing, but the cover art for Purulent Decomposition are gorgeous. Not a fan of the title font, but everything else, including the band's logo, are awesome!

64963266_2621615854537665_81108484234034

ALCEST's 6th album is called “Spiritual Instinct“ and will be released on the 25th of October on Nuclear Blast. The recording of “Spiritual Instinct“ has been a long and challenging process, but we feel really proud of it and can't wait to share our new music with all of you. The artwork has been made by the Parisian duo Førtifem and represents a sphinx, as a reference to the symbolism art movement. The sphinx is the ultimate figure of the enigma, which embodies both the spiritual and feral sides inside us.

Alcest are one of my favourite bands with four of their five full lenghts being complete and utter masterpieces, which also counts for both versions of Le Secret. Shelter, which I consider to be their worst by a long shot, is still a very good album (7,5-8/10). Really can't wait to hear what this will sound like.

Not sure if this has been posted. Mortem was the band that created Arcturus in many ways. Line-up is original Mortem members Steinar Sverd Johnsen (Arcturus, Covenant, Ulver), Hellhammer (Arcturus, Mayhem and so on) and Marius Vold (ex-Arcturus, ex-Stigma Diabolicum, ex-Thorns), as well as Seidemann of 1349 and Pantheon I. I think this track sounds excellent. Kinda sounds like a mix of Mortem and Arcturus around 1994. I really can't wait for this album.

781258.jpg?2450

Lord Gore - Scalpels for Blind Surgeons

Sounds like it's gonna be a cool album. A bit cleaner produced than earlier stuff. Not as thick, raw and meaty, but sounds good and brutal.

788808.jpg?1838

Druadan Forest - Dismal Spells… Part I

This sounds very good. Epic black metal/ambient/dungeon synth. It's a double album consisting of 4 tracks. Really looking forward to this. 

788686.jpg?0158

The Great Old Ones - Cosmicism

Lovecraftian post-black metal that's gotten better and better with each album. This is their fourth and this should be good.

New EP. Hm, sounds pretty good, but not as good as their previous stuff. The first track is especially very disappointing. More chuggy and less epic than what we're used to from these guys. Second track is better, but not nearly as good or epic as previous stuff. Oh well.