The general Metal discussion thread

https://www.adultswim.com/music/metal-swim-2/

Adult Swim metal comp with loads of different stuff on it. If you're slightly into black metal I would recommend giving this new Volhan track a spin or 10. Starts off as a typical Volhan track, but around 7 minutes in it turns into something that sounds like something Ennio Morricone would've made for a zapata Western in the 70's. That sure was unexpected, but damn fucking good.

My favourite technical / progressive death metal album from this year so far comes from Taiwan (obligatory 'there's always an Asian better than you' comment here). Gorgeous album art as well. This album surprised me as Asia usually only dabbles in brutal death metal and doesn't expand much beyond that, so it's a nice find overall.

Some old school stuff for fans of 80's death/thrash and black/thrash.

https://dugusixsixsix.bandcamp.com/album/demo-2

I just discovered this band. Death/thrash from China. I cannot believe I haven't heard this before. M-A lists lyrical themes as Shaw Brothers, and only that. How fucking cool is that? Doesn't get any cooler if you ask. Proud Shaw Brothers fanboy! If you like stuff like Incubus (Opprobrium), Morbid Saint, old Sepultura, Sadus, Magnus and so on this is for you. Sounds really fucking 80's.

Another Chinese band that's really cool. For fans of Sabbat (jpn), Venom and so on. Very cool band.

775805.jpg?0642

https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/planetary-clairvoyance

New track sounds solid. Very old-school sounding, but it's taking more from those weird/different death metal bands like Demilich, Timeghoul, Nocturnus and Catacomb, than your more straight-forward stuff like Autopsy, Death, Entombed and so on. Beautiful cover art, and the Bloodbourne and Dark Souls lyrics just adds a bit of weirdness tbh. Should be a very good album.

https://toiletovhell.com/premiere-nucleus-take-death-to-the-far-reaches-on-outpost/

New Nucleus track called Outpost. That sounds incredible. Still got that early sci-fi death metal vibe. Gonna love this album.

762717.png?5602

https://brugmanziah.bandcamp.com/album/om-domedag-och-de-femton-j-rtekn

Highly recommend this album btw, the new Wagner Ödegård album. The project started off as a really cool and unique ambient project, but has moved into black metal territory now and it's one of the best albums so far. It's another project by Kumulonimbus/ Wulkanaz best known from cult black metal acts Wulkanaz and Tomhet. I do consider Wagner Ödergård to be his best band/project tho.

Edited by Bear

This is pretty awesome. For those not aware, Black Earth is basically the old Arch Enemy line-up touring and performing tracks off their first three albums (aka performing music from before they started so suck!), and this is a new track. Not sure if it's written in recent time or if it's an unrecorded oldie, but it sounds cool as fuck.

So this is the band that recorded Burning Bridges. Four of these five were also included on their two first albums.

If only Arch Enemy could produce something that's 1/1000's as good as this.

^ I never got into Arch Enemy at all, but that was pretty decent! Maybe I should try their old stuff, heh...

In other news, there is a new Sühnopfer album out and it's so majestic and intense! Gotta confess, never heard of this project before but I'm completely sold by what I'm hearing here. Since then I've already started listening to their previous full-length, solid quality again.

The first three Arch Enemy albums are something very different than what cane after. Darker, heavier, more brutal. It's simply way more actual death metal. Highly recommended. It first when they became one big, fat gimmick trying to sell a female lead they got boring.

Also, Suhnhopfer album is indeed good. Solo project by the guy who pkayed drums in Peste Noire for his laet 3-4 albums or so. Pkayed on half the new album I think, but left before its release.

This is Krzysztof Drabikowski's Batushka, aka the real Batushka considering he wrote all the music, came up with the concept, cover art and all that. Sounds good, and the little you can hear of the grim vocals sounds a lot better than what that scumbag and rip off Bart was able to. Can't see this being a final mix tho. Vocals needs adjusting and the drums can't sound like this. Listen to the bass drums on the ending. Dear god. But other than that it sounds good. Great and thick atmosphere.

I have discovered a new band which sound really good ! They are from Germany and well, they are quite active, having released 3 albums in 3 years with a mini album in 2018.

Spell of Torment will release their first album "His Tempting Ritual" in 3 days and it is a solid release. I have been considering buying the t-shirt just for the artwork.

I wasn't totally sold on Spell of Torment after my first listen, but I'll have to agree with you on that cover. Gorgeous!

Musically it's not really my cup of tea. Blackened death metal isn't exactly my favourite genre. No idea why though, because it should be my cup of tea. So weird.

there's some very interesting recommendations popping up,it certaily needs more users active here

here's some stunning danish blackened death metal,couldn't believe how good this album is

just gave it a spin this morning,by  @Jigsaw9  recommendation as well,and it was a fine listening 

sounds like ningen isu/onmyouza/early buck-tick /seikima ii all together lol

checked their bio on metal archives and their discography is vast,this is ur style @Manji 卍 

Edited by Euronymous

Gargoyle's awesome indeed. Especially their older albums. I highly recommend Doom for fans of Gargoyle. Another progressive thrash band, albeit they lean a bit more towards avant-garde and weirdness than Gargoyle. The band have had members and ex-members from bands such as Gastunk, Shellshock, Casbah, Terror Squad and motherfucking Zadkiel. In 85 they even had Yoshiki playing some drums for them live. If you're into "weird" and different thrash like Voivod, Vektor, Gargoyle, Lob of Lemmings or even 

Celtic Frost's "Into the Pandemonium" this is a must-hear band.

I've really been getting into Mesarthim lately. Bubblegum atmospheric black metal/ambient/trance that's pretty soft, a bit similar to Lustre and Elderwind, but with a different type of atmosphere. This new EP however is a lot darker and harder than their previous releases. Not sure if I like it better, but it's a great release. Two tracks at 20 minutes each.

There's a new Astral Silence out and it's very good. Dark and spacey shit. The album's got guest appearances from Zhaaral (Darkspace, Sun of the Blind) and Christoph Ziegler (Vinterriket, Battle Dagorath). Completely different style than Mesarthim. Less bubblegummy and a lot darker and more twisted.

60893066_10157321162848410_5450826102970

BIG NEWS! Opeth are pleased to present you with the title and tracklisting for their awaited 13th observation! 
"In Cauda Venenum", is due out this fall on Moderbolaget Records / Nuclear Blast Entertainment.

Recorded last year at Stockholm's Park Studios, In Cauda Venenum will be released in two versions, in both Swedish and English languages. Various physical and digital formats will be available and additional details will be announced in the coming months.

In anticipation of the impending release, OPETH will be performing shows around the world through the end of the year. Dates are and ticketing info can be found here: http://www.opeth.com/tour-dates or on the "Dates, Tickets' tab on this Facebook page. Additional touring will be announced soon.

In Cauda Venenum Tracklisting:
1. Livet’s Trädgård / Garden Of Earthly Delights (Intro) 
2. Svekets Prins / Dignity 
3. Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör / Heart In Hand 
4. De Närmast Sörjande / Next Of Kin 
5. Minnets Yta / Lovelorn Crime 
6. Charlatan 
7. Ingen Sanning Är Allas / Universal Truth 
8. Banemannen / The Garroter 
9. Kontinuerlig Drift / Continuum 
10. Allting Tar Slut / All Things Will Pass

I haven't really liked a single album since Damnation, but their recent prog rock stuff from Heritage and onward have kinda grown on me over time. And I really like prog rock sung in Norwegian and Swedish so I'm gonna look forward to the Swedish version of this album.

2 hours ago, Bear said:

Recorded last year at Stockholm's Park Studios, In Cauda Venenum will be released in two versions, in both Swedish and English languages. Various physical and digital formats will be available and additional details will be announced in the coming months.

Does that mean both versions are actually sung in Swedish and English respectively? Or just the titles/lyrics (on the artwork/booklet) are in Swedish or English depending on the version? If they recorded vocals in both languages for two separate versions that's pretty dedicated stuff! I've not really followed them since after Damnation, all seemed downhill from there, can't stand their prog stuff, literally when a mate first showed me Heritage I thought they were just showing me some crappy band as a joke saying it was Opeths new style.

+ Saw the Batushka post, much preferring that version of Batushka's new song than the Faketushka one (which for the record doesn't really sound like what they're known for on the first album at all anyway...) just will be glad when this ridiculous drama is over. The drummer of my band actually done a session job for a band supporting Batushka on a European/UK tour and said Bart was a bit of a twat then, so not really surprised to see how he's carrying on regarding the whole situation... Ya know, releasing albums and playing shows under a name which is in dispute and isn't legally yours (yet at least). I really hope Bart doesn't get his way, but on legal grounds it looks as though it could go either way at the moment, which is why it's so dumb Bart is still pushing activity under that name.

Edited by Kabukichoatmidnight

I'm under the impression that they've recorded the vocals in both Swedish and English and each will get a release of its own. So one album with entirely sung in Swedish  and one entirely sung in English. But the best thing would be to release them as a double album so that you get both no matter what.

I agree. Bart's Batushka sounded nothing like Batushka tbh, aside from a few elements. But it's a different band all together. Bart's also known as one of the biggest rip offs in the scene. Just a massive wanker all around.

a0985783644_16.jpg

https://paladinatl.bandcamp.com/album/ascension

What the fuck. I'm only one track into this album and it's already blowing me away like nothing else. Super infectious speed / power metal with great shredding and original riffs. Vocals wallow between traditional cleans and classic death / thrash harsh timbres. I love how sometimes you just find one of those bands that are exactly what you've been searching for for ages. 

What does this remind me of? Some coked-up mix between Iron Maiden, Destruction, Nitro, Loudness, Iced Earth, Wolf and Gamma Ray but 10× faster.

Edited by Lestat

The Finnish Atlases have made available their first album "HAAR" !  They are described as "cinematic, modern melodic death doom-metal". The music is good and stirring.

You can listen to Deathspell Omega's newest album. They have yet to disappoint me.

Last one is the first track off Lūmenwood's first EP "Eldritch Rites".  Some parts are good but others less (like the cleans vocals which, in my opinion, are a bit strange). So, I am a bit shared on this track...

Edited by The Piass

Håhåhå! Holy shit guys, Gaahl and co did it. This is just out of this world. Original, atmospheric, epic, grim and dark. A truly unique approach to the pagan side of black metal. Sounds like a mix between Trelldom's classic masterpiece Til et annet... and Helheim's last album, Rignir, which also happens to be a very original sounding album. Well, I can also hear a bit of influence from other new Helheim albums. But that's awesome. A must hear, guys!

Edited by Bear

I've been really enjoying Gaahl's new album too, I didn't expect it to be this good. Very cool and memorable atmospheric sound.

Also side note, I gave the new Deathspell Omega a spin but it's totally not for me. Sounds like some dude giving an edgy poetry reading while nonsensical 'progressive' extreme metal noodling is playing in the background. Shame cuz I really liked some of their older stuff but for some reason this new one sounds totally alienating for me.