The general Metal discussion thread

15 minutes ago, Euronymous said:

the artwork of these two albums caught my attention,then gave it a spin,and holy mother and saints.this shit fucks hard

fans of brutal death metal with  vocals a la Hooded Menace gonna like both

Good albums indeed, but this has nothing to do with brutal death metal tho. Sounds like a mix of doom influenced death metal in the vein of Autopsy and Coffins, and Swedish death metal in the vein of old Entombed, Grave and Dismember. Ossuarium also carries some Incantation influence. But I do agree with you. Good recommendation for sure!

Brutal death metal is actually a sub-genre of death metal that sounds very different from this. Classic examples are bands like Dying Fetus, Skinless, Gorgasm, Internal Bleeding and more. Personally I am not a big fan of brutal death metal with a few exceptions. But it's pretty popular actually, which is a bit of a surprise to me. But I think one of the reasons for this is the mix of fast, brutal and relentless riffing and drumming with groovy and catchy breakdowns.

ABYSALL have released a new track from their upcoming album "A Beacon in the Husk" (out on 06.21)

You can also listen to Árstíðir lífsins's new album  "Saga á tveim tungum I: Vápn ok viðr" !

I do not think that I have posted it yet ! Duskwood's newest EP ! Very good, better than their last albm, I would say.

HATE have also revealed that their new album "Auric Gates of Veles"  will be out on 06.14. I am eager to listen to it  !

58933221_10156594355675345_3251889906405

Edited by The Piass

@Bear interesting lesson. You can say that the term I used isn't totally right ,but "nothing to do with" is a bit too much lol .well...That sounded like death metal to me,with doom influences of course,and an "extra brutal" approach on the vocals. the swedish thickness of the guitars made me think of entombed instantly,indeed. Always thought that shit like dying fetus and company were what people call " technical death metal". I'm not a musician (yet) ,all the subgenres I just memorized  by downloading and buying stuff online,never had any specific studies about it ,so I'll probably make some "confusions" here and there

Edited by Euronymous

Sadly we're all just basic human beings so we can't know everything. I wish I did, but I don't. Awful.

I was saying it had nothing to do with brutal death metal because brutal death metal is, like I said, something completely different. Was it death metal? Sure, and I said that. But it's not brutal death metal, because that is something entirely different. Tomatoes and apples.

It's like melodic black metal and war metal. Both are black metal, and there's no doubt about that. But they're still two very different sub-genres that has nothing to do with each other, other than the fact that they're botha type of black metal. But they don't exactly sound anything like eachother.

To be honest I'm not too familiar with Dying Fetus as I don't like the band, but I know they do have albums that lean both towards technical death metal as well as slam death metal. But as far as I know they're for most part closer to brutal death metal, with certain exceptions. But do not take my words on it. But their debut is, as far as I know, a pretty classic example on brutal death metal. But of course, you can belong to both brutal and technical death metal at the same time like Cryptosy, Nile, Suffocation. So one doesn't exclude the other. But as far as the bands we talked about goes, they're just old school-sounding with clear influence from Entombed, Autopsy, Grave, Dismember, Carnage, Unleashed, Obituary, Asphyx, Incantation, Bolt Thrower and so on. Old school death metal bands that doesn't have a single toe within the realm of brutal death metal.

There's a new Vigilance album out. They started out as a mediocre Enforcer, Steelwing and Skull Fist influenced band, but changed their style towards a more first wave black metal influenced sound ala Venom, Mercyful Fate and early Running Wild  pretty fast. So blackened speed/heavy metal is a pretty accurate description of what they're nowadays.

Sounds like a pretty fun album.

https://vigilanceofficial.bandcamp.com/

774120.jpg?1418

Rogga Johansson - Entrance to the Otherwhere

https://roggadeathmetal.bandcamp.com/album/entrance-to-the-otherwhere-death-metal

Rogga Johansson is probably better known as the Swedish guy who is in all those bands (20 active bands atm or something), than for his music. But he's been involved in a shitload of death metal bands over the years, and if you're into old school death metal then you can't really go wrong with a lot of what he's been involved in. This project is fairly melodic too, but without losing its old school edge. New track sound good and catchy.

770650.jpg?3359

Yellow Eyes - Rare Field Ceiling

https://yelloweyes.bandcamp.com/

A new Yellow Eyes album is much welcomed over here. Extremely solid and fairly unique band, despite never really stepping into proper weird territories or anything. Sounds good!

774238.jpg?3016

Denial of God - The Shapeless Mass

I've never been quite sold on their two albums, but their EPs are usually top notch and really does it for me. These guys basically sound like the black metal version of Death SS. Imagine a black metal mix of Death SS, Mortuary Drape, Mercyful Fate, Abysmal Grief and King Diamond.

New song from Ingested ! Their new album "Call of the Void" will be out on 2019.06.14 ! The song's really good !

Kalmankantaja have released their new album "Kaski" yesterday. They are very active but well, their releases are always great.

as you may know,HATE FOREST was the side project/band of the genius Roman Saenko (drudkh,dark ages,etc). This album kinda gave me a Transylvanian Hunger feeling,mainly bcuz of the lowfi production,unstopable blast beats,with all the tracks mostly based on riffs,although diferent from Transylvanian,where the riffs are catchy as fuck,what stands out on The Most Ancient Ones is the agressivity of the vocals,and of course, the..."ancient feeling"  of it. any thoughts on HATE FOREST?

Edited by Manji 卍

Yeah, I love me some Hate Forest. Criminally underrated band with the band's entire discography being really good. Purity and Sorrow's my favorite albums by the band. Never really though of Darkthrone while listening to the band, but I always got a strong Immortal-feeling from the majority of the releases, and especially Battles in the North. Kinda sounds a bit like Battles in The North mixed with several of the the BlazeBirth Hall bands like Branikald, Forest, Rundagor, Raven Dark and Vargleide.

Since we're talking about a band with Roman Saenko, let's listen to this new Windswept album. Black metal with Roman Saenko, as well as Krechet and Vlad from Drudkh/Precambrian/ex-Blood of Kingu/ex-Old Silver Key,/ex-Pragmatik. All bands they played in with Roman Saenko. Windswept is basically a less folky and more raw Drudkh, with a more wintry atmosphere to it as opposed to the much more warmer atmosphere if Drudkh. Album sounds good too.

Italian doom Abysmal Grief is already 22 years old,so you guys probably heard them before. 

Just played this randomly,with zero expectations,and god...it blown me away.The intro track certainly sets the mood for all the giallo movies/horror/doom/gothic stuff that is coming upon you.The keyboards and sound effects were used and abused on this record,and i think it's quite difficult to do it without sounding like some cheap halloween movie soundtrack,but that's definiitely not the case here,all the effects provides a very "cinematic" feeling to it and fits perfectly.The viollin on the first track is simply the most brilliant and well executed thing that i ever heard in a doom metal album before,the more i kept listening to it more it started spreading out like a fog,making a very oppressing atmosphere.Impossible not to imagine yourself running from a living dead corpse,or lost in a old vampire castle, it just sucks you in and it's almost impossible to scape.The whole instrumentation is just perfect,prominient bass and a nice combination of black sabbath-y and doom riffs crawling throughout  the entire record plus acoustic passages and samples in between,and the vocals certainly portraits all the drama in it.

This album is a 10/10,no doubt!

Edited by Manji 卍

Abysmal Grief are great! I must admit, I haven't given much time to their last album, but I really love their older stuff. "Feretri" is probably my favorite album of theirs - might be because I got to know their music first through that album, and the tour they did not long afterwards. Their live shows have amazing atmosphere too, really theatrical and mysterious!

Here's them playing my fave song live a couple years back:

Great and unique band indeed. Such a cool mix of Paul Chain (Violet Theatre), Death SS, Black Hole, The Black, Zess, Requiem, Arpia, Run After To and so on and they don't try to hide it at all. But they make it sound so unique. 

I highly recommend L'Impero delle Ombre, I Compagni di Baal and Focus Indulgens for fans of Abysmal Grief. They're obviously very inspired by the horror-doom of Abysmal Grief as well as all the bands I mentioned above.

^ The music's pretty killer, but honestly I can't really deal with these type of vocals (I prefer a more rough/harsh sound for my doom). Last one's not bad tho!

In other news, new Deathspell Omega album "The Furnaces of Palingenesia" out on May 24!!! 11 tracks in 45 mins.

Awesome.

New Abbath track. That's a lot better than the last one, but again there's much to be desired from the drums. He's no Horgh for sure. A bit too much "stadium rock drumming" feeling from what he's doing. It's fine to keep it simple, but at least add something more interesting to the mix. That's as standard as it gets. That's probably close to how I would programmed the drums before I got a drummer to redo everything.

Edited by Bear

https://corpseflowerrecords.bandcamp.com/album/morbid-tales-a-tribute-to-celtic-frost

I highly recommend this tribute to Celtic Frost. You have the typical covers of their classics, but there's a couple of incredibly odd choices there, that, so my big surprise, works out really well.

Acid Witch - Cherry Orchards

The horror doom death metallers Acid Witch goes on to cover one of the most hated Celtic Frost songs ever, off their ridiculed Cold Lake album, and they do it with style. Sounds amazing!

Coffin's Slave - Dance Sleazy

I don't have much info on this band other than that it features the legendary Scott Carlson of Repulsion, but it's another track off Cold Lake and it sounds really damn good. Pretty nasty-sounding, compared to the original, raw glam sound.

Temple of Void - Os Abysmi Vel Daath

Temple of Void is a death doom band in the vein of Hooded Menace and they cover a track off of the gothic avant-garde album Monotheist, and they really make a change. Removing all traces of goth and avant-garde and making it into a fullblown, nasty death doom track. Really cool!

The new Helheim album is an absolute beast og an album. Their softest and most melodic album to date, but it still sounds like Helheim through and through. For most part mid-paced black/viking metal with lots and lots of clean vocals. Simple and without big orchestrations, but still majestic and huge.

This shit is modern Viking metal at its best. Probably top 3 Helheim albums along with their two first albums.

754297.jpg?4830

https://gravewurm.bandcamp.com/album/dread-night-2019-album

I'm always intrigued by a new Gravewurm album, but I always try to keep my expectations beneath the roof. This is one of those bands that just keeps giving, but they're more about quantity than quality. 15 albums since 2000, as well as a few EPs and tons of split albums. If they've taken about half the tracks and released half as many albums we'd have 7-8 brilliant albums, but instead we have 15 albums that's uneven as fuck. Never bad, but not always amazing either.

This album does sound very good tho. Imagine Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Darkthrone and Nunslaughter having a baby. Pretty cool band, just too uneven.

The new Turilli/Lione Rhapsody is HERE! Overflowing with bombastic C-H-E-E-S-E and I'm loving it!

Album will be unleashed on 28th June.

Yeah, that sounds very good tbh. I'm usually down for whatever Luca Turilli does, and this is no exception. And honestly, I get a strong Luca Turilli, than any version of Rhapsody-feeling from this. It just leans more towards that sci-fi feeling, than your Rhapsody-esque fantasy-feeling. Sounds good.

I have just finished listening to Kampfar's latest album and I am not disappointed ! It is a fast-paced album and they tried to experiment new things.

I have also found something very interesting. The first track is ,without doubt, my favorite from the album.