The general Metal discussion thread

Random cool stuff I found: French black metallers Malhkebre just released their new album "Satanic Resistance" and I'm really digging it! Never heard of the band before, I came across it online via a random suggestion. They remind me a bit of (a less hectic) Deathspell Omega mixed with some death metal influences on this new record, although their older stuff is a bit different. In any case, it's definitely worth a spin or two.

Here's a song from the album that captures their current sound pretty well:

Another band I found by accident (and whom I also haven't known previously) is Drastus, coincidentally another French project. They seemed to favor a more raw hypnotic black metal sound on their earlier recordings but their new album seems to have an updated sound to it. I haven't actually listened to it yet, I was only catching up with the old stuff which is quite impressive in its noisiness (but is also kinda melodic if you listen hard enough, haha). The album "La croix de sang" officially drops on 1st March but it's already streamable on Bandcamp and can be dl'd where such stuff can be dl'd from.

A track from the new record, with some top-notch drumwork and atmosphere:

On 2/23/2019 at 7:01 PM, Bear said:

upcoming Owls Woods Graves album

I've just listened to this, and unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as their EP. The title track is cool, but otherwise I'm not too sure what's missing... the whole thing feels overly long and a bit tired to me. It has its moments tho, but this one's a "meh" for me (maybe I had too high expectations after the EP).

Totally random, but I just stumbled upon this new-ish band called Ashes whose drummer is the same guy who does vocals/bass/drums in Owls Woods Graves, haha. Guitarist/bassist/keyboardist guy is also from Medico Peste. Their debut album was just released at the end of February, and while I haven't had time to listen to it all the way, it seems like it has a pretty sweet atmospheric style (reminds me of Burzum at some parts).

Also, new VLTIMAS track is out if anyone's curious. The vocals are awful, but the music is pretty rad so hmmmm I dunno. I constantly feel this project would be better off with a more versatile or more extreme-sounding vocalist, cuz otherwise it's pretty solid.

edit: oh right, it's David Vincent, that explains it........

Edited by Jigsaw9

Been very much into a couple of Xülthys' projects lately. One-man black metal band that nailed the music, lyrics and imagine a lot. Great, dark and moody music and really cool pictures and cover arts. There's something really mystic about the pictures. Reminds me of old pictures of a secret cult of something.

Bašmu

612255.jpg?4535

628935.jpg?3349

640790.jpg?5922

660400.jpg?2708

736798.png?3311

https://basmu.bandcamp.com/

Girtablullû

3540433768_photo.jpg?3704

680453.jpg?4224

https://girtablullu.bandcamp.com/releases

Flešš

695136.jpg?1840

https://rawflesh.bandcamp.com/releases

Really impressive stuff IMO. Dark, grim, atmospheric, raw. Really got everything.

-> While She Sleeps gives us another killer tune album with "SO WHAT?" !

-> La Dispute releases a new album too and I really like their style, powerful and emotional music.

2 hours ago, Shaolan974 said:

-> While She Sleeps gives us another killer tune album with "SO WHAT?" !

This is not usually my type of music, but I've heard some pleasant samples from this album, might check it out soon!

Some new things :

Týr's new album "Hel" is really good. They are trying new things and that's great. 

Sorathian Dawn was released two weeks ago and it is really enjoyable. And THAT cover.

Equipoise's new album is also pleasant.

New Martyrdöd track just dropped, album will be released on 10th May. Song slays as expected. Pulverizing but melodic crusty goodness.

New Martyrdöd is heavily awaited. Not long ago since I really started appreciating their more neo-crust inspired sound.

Some Blind Guardian news:

After all these years of guesses, prophecies and other confirming irritations we are happy to announce that „Legacy of the Dark Lands“ will be released on November 1, 2019. Yes, it is the ORCHESTRAL ALBUM and the release date is carved in stone …, we hope:-).To be prepared for this once in your lifetime experience you better get your version of „Die Dunklen Lande“ by our friend Markus Heitz, which is out now. „Die Dunklen Lande“ is closely connected to the orchestral album and features the prequel to „Legacy of the Dark Lands“. It might also help killing time, a little bit:-) Enjoy. 
You want to know more about the dark lands? Here is a link you then better do not ignore:

http://nblast.de/BGLegacyOfTheDarkLands

Produced by Beastwood Films, http://www.beastwoodfilms.com
Filmed & edited by Dirk Behlau, http://www.thepixeleye.com

I'm excited for this, and it's not long ago since I started appreciated their more symphonic and proggy Queen-inspired albums. But this will be something special I think. It's been in the works since 1997. 1997!!!

In brighter news, guitarist Jostein Thomassen (Notodden, Profane Burial, Viper Solfa, Fracture, Source of Tide) has joined Borknagar! The band has also finished their album and it is currently in the mixing stage!

54398972_2679102548798327_67666400104195

Fenriz enthuses «Old star – again we are here with THE RIFFS! A while after our previous ARCTIC THUNDER album it became apparent that we would continue in that same style, BLACK OLD HEAVY METAL with slow thrash, classic doom and slow death metal.
As many have focussed on the 70s sound over the last 20 years, the mix on our new album has ended up being more 80s than ever. The songs are more metal than ever! Ted’s songs have alot of black metal in them, faster and slower but also doomier parts and reocurring parts. My songs are more linear written, it’s an ancient 80s underground trick, with breaks, all slow heavy or slow thrash, classic doom or slow death.»
He continues «All in all it is our most 80s album so far and our most metal one to date with drum sound typical for the 80s USA/German market and damned lyrics, which are all written by me. We feel that OLD STAR is the big brother of ARCTIC THUNDER. More solid and with even better riffs.»

This seems to be the track list:

1.) I Muffle Your Inner Choir
2.) The Hardship Of The Scots
3.) Old Star
4.) Alp Man
5.) Duke of Gloat
6.) The Key Is Inside The Wall

Really looking forward to this, and the cover art is terrific. Looks awesome! Interesting song titles too.

New Amon Amarth song. Sounds like it's super inspired by awful power metal and modern metalcore, more than actual death metal. Disgisting track, but that's as expected of course.

Not sure what to expect from the new Darkthrone, but that's the best metal album cover art I've seen this year.

I'm not worrying too much tho, whatever they release I usually like (or end up liking).

I'm still a "baby" when it comes to black metal (just one year and half into this amazing subgenre), and already became my favorite subgenre of metal along with VK. Talking about darkthrone, I've been getting into each album , starting from the first one ,very carefully,and right now im into "the cult is alive" . Transylvanian,funeral moon and northern sky are the holy Trinity of their discography,after these three albums i felt kinda lost with what kind of concept they were trying to present. However,I always visit their albums whenever I'm looking for some "straightforward metal" (Panzerfaust is simply glorious). Ready to get into the rest of their discography until the new record is out,I'll buy this.

Edited by Manji 卍

think the albums from Total Death to Sardonic Wrath are fairly straight-forward black metal, with the exception of Goatlord which was recorded back in 91 but only released in 96.

But with The Cult Is Alive they obviously changed, and the easiest way to rreally understand them is to look at the inspirations for the album. And I'll keep this real simple, but what they've done is to take some classic styles form the past and spiced up their more modern sound.

The Cult Is Alive is obviously very punk inspired, and got plenty classic, 80's punk like The Exploited, GHB and so on, as well as some traits from crust punk like Skitsystem and Doom.

F.O.A.D. still has some punk traits, but are more heavy metal inspired. You can hear some Iron Maiden, Motorhead and stuff, but it's leaning more towards epic metal and UPS. Manilla Road is an obvious inspiration, but their epic heavy metal and more thrashy power metal style, but also Omen, Manowar, English Dogs, Savage Grace and similar bands.

Dark Thrones and Black Flags is pretty similar to F.O.A.D., but contains less punk, more epic metal and USPM. Pretty much the same inspirations as above.

Circle the Wagons is again same as above. No major changes.

The Underground Resistance however saw a pretty big change in that all the traits of punk, albeit the punk played a very small role on the recent albums, were gone. Hellhammer, Celtic Frost and Agent Steel comes off as huge inspirations. A very black 'n' speed metal album, with some traits of King Diamond, Mercyful Fate and Bathory, Manoway and Manilla Road.

Arctic Thunder again got a huge change in sound as it is more a modern take on Dream Death' unique brand of death/thrash/doom metal, with some black metal added to the mix.

a0574422074_10.jpg

https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/paradox

Resurrected from the ashes of one of the most influential death metal bands of all time, Nocturnus, NOCTURNUS AD was initiated by Nocturnus founder/mastermind/death metal legend Mike Browning (also co-founder of Morbid Angel) to continue the path that was laid down, 28 years later, by the legendary Florida death metal band’s seminal 1990 album “The Key”. An album recognized as one of the most important death metal albums of all time. 

This came out of nowhere, and it sounds really fucking good. Sounds like classic Nocturnus, and as The Key is one of my favourite death metal albums ever I just can't complain. Really looking forward to this.

Mike Browning was a huge part of Nocturnus and his other band, After Death, also sounds a lot like Nocturnus, albeit not nearly as much as this. Recommended!

This album is a must-have for any fan of death metal. As classic and revolutionary as it gets.

768059.jpg?0448

Hellripper - Black Arts & Alchemy

New Hellripper EP on its way. Cool black/speed metal band. This should be awesome.

763906.jpg?3123

Bat - Axestasy

https://bewareofthebat.bandcamp.com/album/axestasy

Nasty heavy speed metal inspired by the likes of Venom, Motorhead, Bathory and Midnight.

766651.jpg?1413

Gloryhammer - Legends from Beyond the Galactic Terrorvortex

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda weak for this band. Ultra cheesy power metal. And with titles like Masters of the Galaxy, 

The Land of Unicorns, Power of the Laser Dragon Fire and the fucking Legendary Enchanted Jetpack on one and the same album it's hard not to get intrigued. 

765893.jpg?1146

Bewitcher - Under the Witching Cross

Posted about the upcoming single not too long ago, and the album is on its way too. Should be catchy and cool.

New Hellish Grave on its way too. Simple black/speed in the vein of Deströyer 666, Desaster, Craven Idol and so on. It got that slightly epic feeling at times.

The new Rhapsody Of Fire album is just glorious. I’ve never listened to them all that much but now I realise I should have done so much more. Such energy!

I tried this new Rhapsody of Fire track (didn't like the previous one) but it's just painful to hear that this is where they are now. Pretty much devoid of guitar riffs or guitar melodies, only showboating synths and epic but totally unmemorable vocals from a copy-paste power metal singer, ehh... pretty bland. :(  I mean, comparing it to this for example:

Yeah, as you can tell I'm much more of a fan of Luca/Fabio. :D Speaking of, can't wait for their new stuff to come out (as Turilli / Lione Rhapsody).

Edited by Jigsaw9

The sound of their older stuff and new is like night and day. Two completely different bands. New stuff sounds like a power metal parody.

By far their best song since Hellfire. This is actually pretty good again. It's such a shame Frost is wasting his talent in Satyricon, because when he's allowed to do whatever the fuck he wants and play fast he's such a machine. Stellar drumming!