The general Metal discussion thread

The most brutal, wild and nasty-sounding album of the year. It's not pure metal and leans more towards hardcore punk than metal, but the metal influence is there.

What this sounds like: it sounds like the fast, brutal, relentless and frantic Septic Death album "Now That I Have The Attention What Do I Do With It? " mixed with Misfit's heavy and thrashing horror punk. Then take this already brilliant mix and drive it through a Beherit filter to get the extremely dark, raw and nasty sound. Then add some early, dark slasher atmosphere to it all and you're getting close to what they actually sound like.

One of the best albums of 2018 IMO. 17 minutes of pute brutality and nastiness. 

This is some good shit. Nasty death metal.

Heavy speed metal punk. Think Midnight, Motorhead and Venom. Good release.

This is a cool split release. A mix of different types of punky metal. Nightrider plays speed metal/punk band, Hellripper, Wastëland Riders and Dulvel plays black/speed metal. Motorcharged Venom worship.

755181.jpg?2830

After a demo, single, EP and a recent compilation black metal punks Devil Master are finally getting their debut album out. Features t least member of the super overlooked black metal punk band Cape of Bats, and musically this is somewhat similar. The new track is awesome, so I am really looking forward to this.

I have not been really active here. I have discovered some new bands which are really interesting ! 

Grusig (from Switzerland) have released their debut album "Dr Ahfang vor Misäärä" almost two weeks ago.

The other one is Cabra (from the USA) who released their new EP "We Are Infinitus" a week ago.  

G5MTOy8.jpg

It's been no less than 14 years since their last album, but judging from this track this upcoming album should be good. Celtic Frost and Hellhammer inspired black/thrash. Cool and groovy.

Some interesting death metal from Xinxiang (China). 

48373872_496078747545819_678741855539141

While I'm at it, 虚极(Bliss-Illusion) released some months ago their first album 森罗万象 (Shinrabansho) ! It has a Zuriaake-feel.

a0721594031_16.jpg

Edited by The Piass

755669.jpg

Funereal Presence - Achatius

Fucking yes! Finally something new. 4 tracks, 48 minutes. This should be good. One of the most original black metal bands out there over the past 10 years, and he's doing it without really going too far out or adding a shittons of different elements. Amazing band!

Older track:

More goodies:

Posted about this album sometime towards the end of 2018 and finally the teaser's out. Sounds as dark, majestic, powerful, heavy and crushing as I'd expect. Epic death//funeral doom. Debut album is brilliant and this sounds exceptional as well.

Track from the new Saor album. Like his three previous albums this sounds amazing, but I do wish he'd focus more on his more straight-forward atmospheric black metal project Fuath as that band is even better, but I can't complain. This sounds great!

Another new Saor song and this time it features Neige of Alcest. Better than the last track and one of the better Saor tracks to date, and much of it comes down to Neige's excellent vocals. He's just on a whole different planet vocal wise.

This is a pretty cool album. An hour of dark, sleazy stoner doom that's heavy as fuck. Think I'd like it even better if the vocals were toned down a bit. A bit lower in the mix and hidden behind a layer of hazy effects or something. But it's good, and I absolutely adore that cover. So fucking sleazy.

Blood Ceremony are releasing a new single, one new track and a The Who cover. The video is the new original track performed live for the first time, and I ain't gonna lie: that sounds exceptional as always. Sounds a bit less folk-rock influences, but catchy as fuck and the flute is magnificent. Can't wait for the single, and hopefully a new album sooner rather than later.

Haiduk

Evil atmosphere, melodic, fast blackened death metal.

Check it out.

Edited by hexx_demon

Just discovered this album that was released late last year. It's a project between Azgorh (Drowning the Light) and Akhtya Nachttoter (Black Funeral). It kinds sounds like a mix of Drowning the Light, Black Funeral and Mortiis. Think vampiric black metal like Drowning the Light, Mütiilation, Vampyric Blood and Black Funeral, mixed with 90's (sounding) dungeon synth like Mortiis, Old Tower, Spectral Kingdom and Thangorodrim. Got a grim and medieval feeling to it. Sounds terrific!

This one hurts.

Vintersorg has departed from Borknagar due to personal reasons. The band is finalizing their eleventh album and ICS Vortex will take over as the lead vocalist. Fortunately they also hint that Vintersorg may appear in future releases as a guest vocalist. 🙏

I first found Borknagar thru Vortex, who was ICONIC in Dimmu Borgir, but fell in love with the band when I heard Vintersorg. I've since followed his main project, and I hope that this departure means he'll be focused on that more. I'm still looking forward to the new Borknagar album, but I feel it won't be the same without Mr. V. 💔

Not gonna lie, that's about time if you ask me. And hopefully he'll be able to put even more time and effort into Vintersorg and other projects again, which would be really great now that Vintersorg is on a proper high with some truly great releases, unlike what I think Borknagar has for the last 19 years. 

Alongside more work on Vintersorg it Would be cool if him and Øystein Garnes Brun of Borknagar got out another Cronian album, as well as getting out the damn Otyg already. Vintersorg and the rest of the band revived Otyg in 2012 and talked about an album being close to finished composing-wise in 2013-2014, but that they didn't have time to record it. Which is a massive shame as this is one of those truly classic folk metal bands that actually nailed that type of folk metal. They sound more folky than most folk metal bands, and they're way, way closer to folk rock than other bands in the genre which is really cool. The metal part doesn't play a big part of the sound at all, especially not on the debut album. Underrated band.

Edited by Bear

This is basically a new incantation of Bal-Sagoth with four of Bal-Sagoth's five members. Only one missing is Byron Roberts. Sounds like older Bal-Sagoth which is a great thing. The vocals isn't the best, but they sound much better on the track than they did on the previews we got a week ago which was completely and utter awful. And considering Byron are one of the best lyricists of metal I don't expect we'll get any concepts as great as his, but whatever. I can do without good lyrics anyway. Sounds cool tho.

https://frozendreams.bandcamp.com/album/voices-of-the-arctic-winter

Frozen Dreams, Summoning worship from Sweden. A bit more sugarcoated than Summoning is, but it's good, atmospheric/epic black metal. Released one album in 2017, two in 2018 and so far one in 2019. Effective and productive guy, and it doesn't seem to lower the quality of his releases which is sweet.

On 2/20/2019 at 11:07 AM, Bear said:

Alongside more work on Vintersorg it Would be cool if him and Øystein Garnes Brun of Borknagar got out another Cronian album

Found Vintersorg and Oystein's comments on Facebook, and they both confirm that Cronian will continue! A new album may even pop up soon, from how Vintersorg's post sounds xD

Yep, I know and it's really cool. I would also love to see Vintersorg get back with Vargher and release another Havayoth album, but that's not gonna happen for sure. Don't think either are interested. It's one of those really obscure bands that no one really seems to know, not even Vintersorg fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTN1S1toaeM

Good news for fans of dark, filthy, disgusting and putrid death metal as Triumvir Foul are releasing a new EP called Urine of Abomination. This track sounds really cool.

Both albums are top notch btw but their first demo are still the best thing they've released. Both music and production are spot on. One of the coolest death metal releases of the 2010's for sure. But both albums are heavily recommended as well.

I have found something really cool  ! They have been active from 2011 and have already released 3 albums !  This one was released yesterday ! I will check out their previous releases.

757686.jpg?2557

Sinmara - Hvísl stjarnanna

https://sinmara.bandcamp.com/album/hv-sl-stjarnanna

Two tracks from the upcoming album. One of the best out of the recent rise of bands on Iceland, and this sounds terrific.

New Bewitcher single on its way, and this is the teaser. Sounds exactly like you'd expect after the cool debut album. Black/speed metal in the vein of Venom, Bulldozer and Bathory.

A track from the upcoming Fen EP.  Fen's always good, but I don't really get why this has been releases. It's basically just a long interlude. Hope the two, longer tracks brings something better with them.

761444.jpg?1347

https://malignantvoices.bandcamp.com/album/citizenship-of-the-abyss

Two tracks from the upcoming Owls Woods Graves album. Black metal punk by two five Medico Peste members, as well as two of Mgla's live members. Sounds awesome!

753443.jpg?5758

https://katechon.bandcamp.com/album/sanger-fra-auschwitz

Not sure if I have posted any news about this, but the new Katechon album are right around the corner. Judging by the two tracks available, this is gonna be their best release so far.

756549.jpg?3554

Chrome Waves - A Grief Observed

https://chromewaves.bandcamp.com/album/a-grief-observed

Chrome Waves kinda blew a lot of us post-black metal fans away back in 2012 with their debut EP, but then they went silent for 6 years and everybody seemed to forget about them. But their debut album is right around the corner, and the two singles they released last year were very good. Recommended!

Some more news:

Been listening to this track a lot in the past weeks since it was recommended to me on Spotify. And it has blown me away. It took me AGES to get into Helheim post Yersinia Pestis (14 years, and I gave ever album since Yersinia Pestis a lot of listens), but it wasn't until the release of landawarijaR in 2017 that I started enjoying newer Helheim and now I love it all, every single release from their 1993 demo Helheim to landawarijaR, and judging from this track I'll love this as well. This song is very different, carrying a rockish drive to it, while still keeping the recent touch of norse atmosphere to it. Brilliant, and one of Helheim's best tracks ever. Catchy as hell, while still giving you a lot to dig into and enjoy. Simple, but EXCEPTIONAL drumming. Love the changes around 2:14 and 2:44. They add so much to the track itself, despite being incredibly straight forward. Can't wait for the album to drop!

Teaser from an upcoming single by Vulture. They released a modern speed metal classic in 2017, so I can't wait for this. Should be awesome!

763311.jpg?5227

Stälker - Powermad

Nothing released from this two track EP yet, but if you've heard these guys you know this is gonna rule. Like Vulture they released a fantastic speed metal album in 2017, but this was, to everyone's big surprise, even better than Vulture. Furious speed metal!

Their demo is a must-have for any fan of speed metal. Well, so is their debut album. 

Witchers Creed have released their first album "Awakened From the Tomb" two days ago ! If you love doom/heavy metal in the vein of BLACK SABBATH, PAGAN ALTAR... you will like it ! 

The newly formed one-man band Malist from Russia has released his first album "In the Catacombs of Time" a month ago !  Both the artwork and the music are good ! 

Finally, DOWNCROSS (BELARUS) brought their newest album out ! Called "Mysteries of Left Path", it was released on February 21st 2019 ! 

18 hours ago, Bear said:

Two tracks from the upcoming Owls Woods Graves album. Black metal punk by two five Medico Peste members, as well as two of Mgla's live members. Sounds awesome!

This sounds great!! Sadly I didn't know about them before, but now I have some cool tunes to look forward to (and I see they already have an EP out so I'll track that one down as well). :) 

Sorry for the double-post but damnnnn these Owls Woods Graves guys are killer! Just listened to the EP, can't wait for the album.

Also, I was browsing last.fm and it gave me another brilliant Polish band in a similar vein, Truchło Strzygi. They seem to be a bit more steeped in old-school black metal but the punk tendencies are also very strong. Very cool full-sounding songs too, gotta love when they do a bit of that melodic gang vocals at times. They have a demo, an album and more recently a new single/EP thingie, all top quality stuff imo. Recommended!!