The general Metal discussion thread

20 hours ago, Bear said:

Famine sure is himself alike. Clearly doesn't give a fuck about anything anymore. People gonna be mad.

gmYA3NZ.jpg

1544881819-img-20181215-123313.jpg

"Mastered in France by Nate Higgers."

Holy shit. 

https://devilmaster.bandcamp.com/

Black metal/punk. Raw and mean.

https://blotogbod.bandcamp.com/

Black metal/punk. Groovier than Devil Master, but still both raw and mean. Sounds more like Bone Awl meets Hellhammer or something.

New track from Blue Hummingbird on the Left, one of the many Black Twilight Circle bands. Raw and cold black metal. Sounds great.

Another Black Twilight Cirlce band (I guess), one-man project by Coapahsolpol, the bass player of Blue Hummingbird on the Left. Way more experimental than BHotL, but sounds very good. From a split with the fantastic Volhan.

https://canbardd.bandcamp.com/album/the-last-rain

A new track from the upcoming Cân Bardd album, The Last Rain, to be released next year. Think a mix of Gallowbraid and Caladan Brood. Very Tolkien-esque. This entire song could easily have been a part of The Hobbit soundtrack. I really like it.

https://sentientruin.bandcamp.com/album/consumed-by-oblivion

Void Rot.  A new death/doom metal band in the vein of Spectral Voice. Sounds dark and neat.

https://witchinghourthrash.bandcamp.com/album/and-silent-grief-shadows-the-passing-moon

Black/thrashers Witching Hour are releasing their first full-length in 7 years and it sounds cool. Similar to stuff like Hellish Crossfire, Nocturnal and Cruel Force, albeit a bit more melodic I guess. Sounds cool.

New Mystifier album after 18 years of literally nothing from these guys, I'm fucking stoked! 

They dropped a sample and I'm so much digging it, sounds sooo good. 

The album artwork is gorgeous too. Paolo Girardi did it again. 

SUA088-Mystifier-Protogoni-Mavri-Magiki-

After listening a few times more to the song I'm not quite so sure. The drum production sounds off. Hope it's just the sample.

Anyway:

Alghazanth are releasing this, and as they do they've decided to disband. Quite an underrated band tbh, and this track is fantastic. Semi-symphonic and melodic black metal. Majestic!

Not at all what I was expecting. Thought it would be half 'n' half black metal and rap, but it surely isn't. Songe viking is gorgeous! Not really feeling the new version of 666 millions d'esclaves et de déchets, but the new Des médecins malades et des saints séquestrés is very cool. Simply because it is very different, yet easily recognizable.

I only listened to it half-drunk once last night, but on first listen it's my least fave PN album so far. Will re-listen soon (but now I'm busy blasting better albums, like "Ballade cuntre lo Anemi francor" :D). 

What the fuck is this album seriously. Someone on NWN said that he probably just shat the other half after the drummer left and I'm inclined to to believe that's the case. This album has the distinction of being the least aesthetically consistent PN record and I just can't with the two remakes. taking like a good 1/4 of the entire runtime. The half black metal half disco PN would've been a good idea but now it just looks like he pieced together a bunch of the weakest PN material to date. Aux Armes and Songe Viking are nice albeit with considerable influence in the sound from the militant zone пидр, and the remakes too but I hardly see the point and then by the end it's Aristocrasse and Domine that again sound like Famine was fucking around in the studio. While I'm partial to this band so I like everything, I definitely like this the least and his hard on for the ukrainian metalcore posse is lame. 

These golden old school sounding black metal releases from recent years should be so much more popular than what they are. Top, top notch music in the vein of Sabbat, Destruction, Sodom, Venom, Bathory and such. 10/10 releases.

a1101314075_16.jpg

https://acidwitchofficial.bandcamp.com/

Two wicked Christmas songs based on Black Christmas and Christmas Evil. Both tracks are fantastic. Love the lyrics too.

"The magic in the air on Christmas 
Can be used for evil too (Ritual) 
The same power used by Santa 
Is how I slip into your room "

"All grown up now, certified insane 
The trauma that is Santa infects my schizo brain 
I've come for those who laughed at me 
Humiliate, abuse or don't believe "

That Peste Noire album is really, but really meh.  Their peers from Baise Ma Hache did a waaay more better job with their new album that it hurts me to even compare the two. Lol

On 12/23/2018 at 12:28 AM, chipathy said:

what does everyone think of MPE? embers of a dying world might be a favorite all time album but these guys seem to be criminally underrated 

They're cool. I'm not much into their music but I definitely enjoy them whenever I feel like listening some MDM. Don't know about them being underrated but if I recall well, Embers of a Dying World made it into several end year lists.

Speaking of which, what are everyone's favorite albums of 2018?

Edited by Visutox

We've got some Batushka drama on our hands.

In December 2018, Христофор made an official Instagram post claiming that Варфоломей was out of the band. Not long after, Варфоломей made an official Facebook post claiming that Христофор was out of the band. The current status of who is or isn't in the band, and who controls the band and its future direction is unclear and disputed.

As far as I know, Христофор is the actual creator of the band and the one who's written 100% of the music and so on.

While Варфоломей is merely the vocalist and nothing more. He's also a known rip-off whom people within the community really dislike.

Even without knowing the actual story behind this it's hard not to take the side of Христофор.

Liked the album too. A milder, more commercial and less good version Cult of Fire, but I still liked it quite a lot. Two-three fo the songs were proper bangers. However I would not mind seeing the vocalist getting kicked out. By far the weakest aspect of the band.

My name is Krzysztof “Derph” Drabikowski. Most of You know me by the moniker Христофоръ, the leader and creator of the musical project Batushka. I am recording this video because I have lost control over Batushka’s website, Facebook page, webstore and as of Tuesday, even the Instagram account. This is the only way I can tell You what is happening and how my former vocalist is trying to take the band away from me. I created Batushka in the spring of 2015. I am the author of the music, lyrics, the name, the painting that you know from the album cover and the overall monk image idea. I have made the musical arrangements, wrote the melodies and recorded most of the instruments on the Litourgiya album in my private home studio. Before the finishing touches I invited Bartłomiej Krysiuk to do the vocals according to my guidelines, and Marcin Bielemiuk to re-record my drums parts on acoustic percussion. Batushka was meant to be an anonymous musical project, and from the beginning the idea was to keep the line-up unknown to the public so that the listeners could focus their attention on the musical experience itself. The album, released by Krysiuk’s underground label, became a hit. The demand for live shows from all over the world was enormous. So, I decided to, with the help of my friends, bring Batushka's music on to the live stage. During the past two years I have written and recorded the material for the second Batushka album, and Krysiuk pressed me to release it as soon as possible. As I wasn't satisfied with the results yet, I postponed the release of the follower of Litourgiya which followed with Krysiuk declaring he is leaving the band. On the Friday of the 21st of December I learned that Krysiuk hired musicians to produce an album that he planned to release as the new Batushka record, behind my back! He also registered Batushka as his personal trademark. Before I managed to do anything, he cut off my access to all Batushka's media platforms, and tries to enforce some kind of censorship on all media interested in the band situation. In response I have taken legal action and have been advised by my lawyer to not say anything further. All the new pictures you see on the website and Facebook page are of Krysiuk and random people like his son pretending to be Batushka. Every upcoming festival claiming to have Batushka in their line-up has made a deal with Krysiuk and not me. I would like to kindly ask You to copy and share this message wherever You can. Let the truth be heard. As of now the only true Batushka will be that without Krysiuk behind the mic. Thank You for watching and thank You for Your support.

Still though. Hiring a well-known rip-off and massively disliked person to be in your band isn't all that clever to begin with. And releasing the album on his label, which again is well-known for ripping people off, is just as stupid. But I bet he's learnt from this, and I hope he gets the justice he deserves here. Such a dickish move from Bart, but sadly expected.

So let's all enjoy the original, and much better, Batushka. CULT OF FIRE!

rip in peace babushka never liked them anyway. the internet is full of stories about what kind of a guy this dude was and they're hilarious and sad depending on whether you were at the receiving end of a package packed with household garbage along with your order. 

recently saw live Mystifier, Profanatica, Rotting Christ and Watain.

Mystifier and Profanatica were both incredible and legends worthy of the name. The Mystifier album came out already I believe but just like with the latest Profanatica I prefer to avoid until I hear good enough word about it so that I won't ruin my image of the band. There's not that many bands that were able to churn out a good album after such a layoff, but Profanatica was one of them until quite recently so maybe.

Rotting Christ was horrendous Wacken rock with the stage moves to match. They even managed to completely ruin their old stuff by performing like a heavy metal boyband with shit like "HEY THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL OF YOU MY METAL BROTHERS" etc.

I expected Watain to suck as well, but with them the rock opera stage show actually worked despite my best efforts to resist. Played a lot of old stuff too, and I suppose I'm a little partial towards them despite hating everything past second album because I remember seeing them live in 2010 in a tiny venue was pretty intense. 

I guess this is my best of list for 2018 for now. Probably won't change anything to it. Let's go full force into 2019! 

Dv2QKHeXQAAn6vY.jpg

Apostasy - The Sign Of Darkness

Argonavis - Passing The Igneous Maw

Cân Bardd - Nature Stays Silent

Chaos Echœs - Mouvement

Deadly Carnage - Through The Void, Above The Suns

Distillator / Space Chaser - Split

Extipicium - Through The Entrails Of Darkness... To The Cosmic Awakening

Horizon Ablaze - The Weight Of A Thousand Suns

Hissing - Permanent Destitution

Kwade Droes - De Duivel En Zijn Gore Oude Kankermoer

Medenera - Medenir

Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure

Old Tower - Stellary Wisdom

Shakma - House Of Possession

Teleport - The Expansion

Unreqvited - Stars Wept To The Sea

On 1/1/2019 at 8:13 PM, Lestat said:

Apostasy - The Sign Of Darkness

Argonavis - Passing The Igneous Maw

Cân Bardd - Nature Stays Silent

Chaos Echœs - Mouvement

Deadly Carnage - Through The Void, Above The Suns

Distillator / Space Chaser - Split

Extipicium - Through The Entrails Of Darkness... To The Cosmic Awakening

Horizon Ablaze - The Weight Of A Thousand Suns

Hissing - Permanent Destitution

Kwade Droes - De Duivel En Zijn Gore Oude Kankermoer

Medenera - Medenir

Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure

Old Tower - Stellary Wisdom

Shakma - House Of Possession

Teleport - The Expansion

Unreqvited - Stars Wept To The Sea

Such a great list! Apostasy, Chaos Echœs, Horizon Ablaze, Hissing, Unreqvited... All of these brilliant bands' albums didn't make my top but I highly recommend them to anyone who hasn't listened to them yet. 

Here's mine:

190106042352194907.jpg

Messa - Feast for Water
Hypno5e - Alba - Les Ombres Errantes
GAEREA - Unsettling Whispers
PAARA - Riitti
Summoning - With Doom We Come

Rise to Fall - Into Zero
Horrendous - Idol
Parius - The Eldritch Realm
Sunless Dawn - Timeweaver
Toundra - Vortex

Baring Teeth - Transitive Savagery
Obscura - Diluvium
Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy
Our Place of Worship is Silence - With Inexorable Suffering
Varathron - Patriarchs of Evil

Sulphur Aeon - The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos
Baise Ma Hache - F.E.R.T
Death Fortress - Reign of the Unending
Sacred Leather - Ultimate Force
Dirge - Lost Empyrean

Azusa - Heavy Yoke
Altars of Grief - Iris
Night Verses - From the Gallery of Sleep
conjurer - Mire
Zealotry - At The Nexus of All Stillborn Worlds

Personally I had to wait until late December to find some hidden gems. When it comes to expectations 2018 was quite disappointing, but overall it still was a very good year for metal. Really hoping that 2019 will deliver more gems! 

(will probably edit my post to give more details about each release if I have the time)

Edited by Visutox

https://bergraven.bandcamp.com/

New Bergraven album. First album in no less than a decade, and since the last album Bergraven has gone from a one man band with a session drummer to a full band consisting of mastermind  Pär Stille, Andreas Johansson (Deranged, Stilla) and J. Marklund (De Arma, Whirling, Sorgeldom, ex-Grifteskymfning). J. Marklund is a fantastic addition to the band. Superb drummer.

New track sounds good too.