The general Metal discussion thread

I thought the new Behemoth album was okay... nothing more, nothing less. Tho that is my general opinion when it comes to their music as a whole (and for some weird reason I wasn't too fond of "The Satanist", I enjoyed this one better).

Lol, new Behemoth is such a damp squib, and I put the blame on Nergal.  

22 hours ago, Bear said:

When Nergal told us to expect some WTF-shit I thought they'd taken the sound of The Satanist and fucked it up even more. Gone wilder, crazier and more experimental/daring. But I Loved You At Your Darkest makes The Satanist sound like a  wild, progressive avant-garde album that's just out there. Which it truly isn't.

This basically sums up what I think of the album. But for me though, the singles that dropped before the release (except for Bartzabel, which is my favorite from ILYAYD) were basically warning us not to expect more than that. I had hoped that they would be the weakest from the album, but actually they are in the image of what ILYAYD has to offer (and vice versa).

Edited by Visutox

On 10/14/2018 at 6:42 PM, Jigsaw9 said:

I thought the new Behemoth album was okay... nothing more, nothing less. Tho that is my general opinion when it comes to their music as a whole (and for some weird reason I wasn't too fond of "The Satanist", I enjoyed this one better).

You familiar with their older stuff, from before they started the transition from black to death with Pandemonic Incantations? Back in the early-to-mid 90's they had a very classic polish black metal sound. It's not for everyone, but I always loved the polish sound. Old Behemoth, Graveland, Infernum, Veles, Fullmoon, Sunwheel and more. They really nailed the hateful, medieval atmosphere on these early-to-mid 90's albums, while still capturing something incredible epic and emotional. Everything up until the extremely underrated Grom are just top notch IMO.  The way they captured that classic polish sound on all their albums, while also being fully able to capture both the mean and raw, as well as the big and epic sides of Bathory is just awesome.

I mentioned Iceland and Svartidauði a page back, and they just announced they would release a new album. First track is stellar:

Ah, alright.

To arms! At the sirens' call, get behind the banners of the three Indo-European colors, embodying the war, the sacred and the earth! Here is the first track from the next album of PESTE NOIRE. Composed in the best tradition of KPN, it gives you a taste of the first half of the album. Another track, much less of a classic, that stands for the spirit of the second part of the album, will be posted before the end of the month. Listen and download the song in lossless format for free on the official MZ website: http://WWW.MILITANT.ZONE/KPN-AUX-ARMES

Oh yeah! That fucking rules.

I'm digging the new PN track too, looking forward to the album! I hope they're not losing the weirdness that characterized their last few albums tho (since this new song seems to be more 'straight-up' black metallish than usual).

They've said that the first half is rather straight-forward, while the second half is out there. I know MZ have said that one track is the most controversial song by a black metal band in a long time. I can see Famine going full black metal rap on it. Full on white traah, black metal rap. Hah

32 minutes ago, Bear said:

I can see Famine going full black metal rap on it. Full on white traah, black metal rap. Hah

Haha, I really hope so! :D Famine's black metal rapping is amusing but kinda somewhat cool too, I dunno what it is. xD

I went to one of Svartidauði 's lives 2 or 3 years ago, I did not really like it. They were not really energetic. However, their albums are good so I will keep on following them.

I don't see the problem with that at all. Seen Svartidauði several times myself, and they've always been excellent and always been able to give the audience a show that totally matches their music.

Different type of bands require different type of stage personality and energy, and personally I don't feel like dissonant or (semi-)technical black/death metal bands like Svartidauði, Devouring Star, Portal and Dodecahedron has to give a high-octane performance on stage. Doesn't exactly fit the music. Same with bands like Cult of Fire and Batushka. I just don't think a really energetic show would fit them at all. Just standing up and down without doing anything but playing the music is just perfect.

To me that's a bit like complaining about Slipknot giving a energetic performance. But to each their own of course. 

Anomalie have revealed a new video called "Temples" from their EP "Integra" (2018.11.10).

Tracklist :

1. Rebirth 

2. Aurora

3. Temples

4. Delieverance

Uada have also revealed a new clip promoting their album "Cult of a Dying Sun" which came out on 2018.2018.05.25.

Edited by The Piass

A new song called "Upon these stones" have been revealed by Psycroptic !  Their album will come out on 2018.11.09 via Prosthetic Records. 

renamed.jpg

Tracklist :

1. We Were the Keepers
2. Frozen Gaze
3. Directive
4. Deadlands
5. As The Kingdom Drowns
6. Beyond the Black
7. Upon These Stones
8. Momentum of the Void
9. You Belong Here, Below

You can listen to the first and third track here

^ Usually I'm not a fan of such over-polished tech-deathy stuff but Psycroptic can be cool at times! These tracks sound okay too. I remember enjoying their last album for a minute, back when after it was released (but live they were a bit underwhelming, maybe I just caught them on a bad night).

Been spinning some good ol' Mayhem recently, Grand Declaration and Esoteric Warfare are still two cold and mean records. Nice.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:48 PM, Jigsaw9 said:

By the way I'm just on this new Sargeist, pretty cool stuff! I have the new One Tail, One Head and the new Deathhammer lined up next~

Been spinning this a few times over the weekend and I must admit I am very disappointed. I find it rather mediocre, and it just lacks that melodic side that's always made Sargeist so good. This sounds more like Behexen, than Sargeist IMO. Title track is probably my favourite as it sounds a lot like classic Sargeist. Melodic and catchy, yet cold and grim.

On another note:

New Kriegsmaschine album just dropped. Not heard a single word about this until just now. It sounds like Kriegsmaschine alright, and is clearly a continuation of their previous album, Enemy of Man. Sounds good, and even better than Enemy of Man. Like I said when Mgla released Exercises in Futility, Darkside's drumming just gets better and better with every single release, and I wonder if this is the best drum performance on a black metal ever? Hell, fuck that. Best drum performance on an extreme metal album ever? Darkside just takes things to a whole new level of creativity, but without taking anything from the rest of the music. Truly impressive!

Features M. and Darkside of Mgla btw. However, don't expect anything like Mgla. This is a very different band.

Edit: the more I listen the more do I realize that the drum work is just out of this world. Holy crap! Mindblowing!

Edited by Bear

I really like Psycroptic'a early work. Scepter of the Ancients is a masterpiece and the sounds the vocalist makes are just wretched.

Anyone here heard of Our Place of Worship is Silence? Their latest album, has some pretty great moments:

3 hours ago, Bear said:

the more I listen the more do I realize that the drum work is just out of this world. Holy crap! Mindblowing!

I'm just spinning this album now myself, really impressive drumming... not sure about the actual songs tho. Might take some time to sink in, or I'm just not wholly in the mood for this type of BM right now. Nevertheless, drummerman rules! :D 

Also, just randomly checked out Akitsa's new album "Credo" and it is excellent! Raw primitive black metal with lots of anguish but also some surprisingly melodic and atmospheric bits too (not overdoing it tho). The production is just what this type of music needs too: harsh but not unlistenable by any means! I was completely unaware of this band so this was a nice surprise. As I can see they've been around for quite a while.

https://akitsa.bandcamp.com/album/credo

Edited by Jigsaw9

Not heard the new one yet, but was listening to an older album yesterday. Great band. Harsh and, raw Ildjarn-esque black metal. Superb!

The whole Canadian scene has been on a roll the last ten years. The amount of fantastic bands, man. So good!

Edited by Bear

Kriegsmaschine was really cool ! I also like it better than their previous album. 

I will listen to the other two bands ! 

UNLEASHED have a new song called "Stand Your Ground" ! 

Their album "The Hunt For White Christ" will be released in 4 days !

Tracklist :

Lead Us Into War

You Will Fall

Stand Your Ground

Gram

Terror Christ

They Rape the Land

The City of Jorsala Shall Fall

The Hunt For White Christ

Vidaurgelmthul

By the Western Wall

Open To All the World

A first one called "The Hunt For White Christ" was revelead last week.

Edited by The Piass

Best split release ever? It features five bands and five early EPs. Emperor's  As the Shadows Rise, Immortal's Immortal, Dimmu Borgir's Inn i evighetens mørke, Ancient's Det glemte riket and Arcturus's My Angel. I love all these EPs, and collecting them onto one single compilation was a work of genius and while they all play very different types of black metal, they fir so well together. Amazing release!

The Czech Republic blakc/death metal band Mellaphyr have a new song coming from their  album "Womb Of Worms" out on 2018.10.29.

a3486493001_16.jpg

Tracklist :

01. The Temple Of Nothingness
02. Towards The Interminable Hatred
03. The Absolute Inner Genocide
04. W.Y.I.D.
05. Womb Of Worms I
06. …Just A Fraction Remains To Be Forever Ruined… The Deliverance Is Near…
07. Womb Of Worms II

Two new songs were revealed some time ago :

FROM THE VASTLAND have uploaded several new songs from their new album "DAEVAYASNA" out tomorrow ! 

fromthevastland-daevayasna2018.jpg

Tracklist :

01 - fall into duzakh
02 - sinful oblivion
03 - agas
04 - daevayasna
05 - sickle of melmedas
06 - the cadavers tower
07 - as the gray clouds rain

Sodom have released a new trailer for their upcoming EP and tour !

Their EP "Partisan" will be released on 2018.11.23.

A single called "One Step Over The Line" and a new video will be released on 2018.11.02.

Edited by The Piass

Mildly curious about that new Sodom stuff, tho not having high hopes (but might make for a fun listen).

Just got through my first spin of the new Bloodbath album, excellent and catchy brutality! I really love the thick production too.

Already have the new Outre and Devouring Star lined up next~

738450.jpg?2543

Debut album from these amazing Finnish heavy doom rockers. Everything they've released up to this point is really good and this too sounds sweet as fuck.  The last two minutes of the track, man. Holy fuck! That is awesome. And while I'd rather see a new track instead of the included Joy Division cover, I'm not gonna complain because it's one hell of a good cover song. For fans of Jex Thoth/Totem.

Hear my warning

The Lord is calling

Do you see the signs

It’s the end of times.