The general Metal discussion thread

On 7/7/2018 at 11:51 AM, Bear said:

No reactions on Immortal's new album? Dear god, it's so fucking awesome. The reviews of the albums are incredibly positive too, for those that give a damn about that shit. Lots of 6/6 and 9/10's, and it's very deserved. Massive!

Agreed, absolutely fantastic album. Catchy yet crushing. Black Metal album of the year probably

Okay so, I need more time to totally get into "Northern Chaos Gods" but it's really, really good. I'm gonna be spinning it a lot and it's very likely to grow on me even more. They did a great job and showed us why they deserve to be called Immortal

Also listened to BTBAM, Skeletonwitch and Obscura new albums. They're also growers, and I'm enjoying them quite a lot! Only Deafheaven remaining, I have high hopes for that one.

This summer might honestly end up being the highlight of the year in terms of metal music. We'll see. 

Shelton1.jpg

23-og.jpg?w=500&h=666

This beast of a musician and song-writer just passed away today. Mark Shelton of Manilla Road. This guy WAS epic metal. Rest in peace, Riddle Master!

HELLS252.jpg

https://apokalypticraids.bandcamp.com/album/the-pentagram

Not sure if anyone cares, but Brazilian Hellhammer and Celtic Frost worshippers Apokalyptic Raids return with a new album after 8 years with only a few splits to their name, and it sounds awesome. They are not re-inventing the wheel or anything. They do the same they've always done, and that is to sound as much as Hellhammer as possible. Production job of the year as far as I am concerned. The guitar tone and drum sound is top notch.

From the upcoming album, I Loved You at Your Darkest

Tracklist: 
1. Solve 
2. Wolves ov Siberia 
3. God = Dog
4. Ecclesia Diabolica Catholica 
5. Bartzabel 
6. If Crucifixion Was Not Enough… 
7. Angelvs ⅩⅢ 
8. Sabbath Mater 
9. Havohej Pantocrator 
10. Rom 5:8 
11. We Are the Next 1000 Years 
12. Coagvla 

I like this track a lot. In fact, I fucking dig it. Sounds good, and the ending with the kids give me the chills. Nice and interesting video too. Really like their recent videos and aesthetics.

Dear god, I am so happy these guys left the boring, sterile and überpolished death metal of Demigod, The Apostasy and Evangelion behind and went for a more black metal approach with The Satanist. This too sounds a lot darker, dynamic,, creative, complex and interesting than anything on Demigod, The Apostasy and Evangelion.

Edited by Bear

a1564867574_10.jpg

By now, DEATHHAMMER should need no introduction. For 13 years, this insatiable Norwegian duo have been at the forefront of the burgeoning blackthrash movement. Though blackthrash has seen intermittent surges in popularity over the last few

decades, for sole members Sadomancer and Sargeant Salsten, this is a way of life - not a trend. DEATHHAMMER proved as much as with their cult debut album, Phantom Knights, in 2010 and then proved it yet further and more fully - and more furiously and filthily - with 2013's "Onward to the Pits" and 2015's "Evil Power," both of which were released by HELLS HEADBANGERS to

widespread international acclaim. And yet, through it all, the duo kept their wits about them, simply being DEATHHAMMER and taking their irresistible (and irresistibly evil) charm to stages worldwide, including a command performance at HELLS HEADBANGERS' Hells Headbash 2 in 2015. 

With the stage set thusly, "Chained to Hell" is a statement of intent for DEATHHAMMER: this is who they are, eternally, and there's no turning back. Everything that's endeared the duo to...  more

https://deathhammer.bandcamp.com/

This sounds like classic Deathhammer, and it sounds dangerously awesome as always. Really looking forward to the album. As always, Sergeant Salsten provides some of the best voals you'll ever hear in a thrash metal song. Wild, furious and over the top!

727721.jpg?2118

Second album from Sweden's 偏執症者 (Paranoid), a band heavily inspired by Disclose, Anti-Cimex and Darkthrone. Raw, brutal and mean blackened d-beat. Everything up til now's been mint, and they're fantastic wild. So looking forward to this.

https://pndftw.bandcamp.com/

723744.jpg?5702

New Bonehunter album. Blackened thrash metal punk heavily inspired by Venom, Abigail, Barbatos, Gehennah and more. This new track is surprisingly heavy metal-inspired, but sounds alright. Though, not quite as good as earlier stuff.

https://bonehuntermetal.bandcamp.com/album/children-of-the-atom

725526.jpg?1052

A new Furze album, and after 2015's weird and original masterpiece Baphomet Wade I am really looking forward to it. But I don't expect anything similar as Furze changes sound more often than most humans change underwear. Six albums and several EPs, and aside from all containing a weird, Furze-esque feeling to them they got nothing in common at all. The new track is weird too. Heavy, psychedelic stuff. A vast majority of the track sounds very similar to Japan's own Flower Travelin' Band.

https://furze.bandcamp.com/

Gorgeous album and a superb way to end Cosmic Church, a band who's never made anything subpar in its 13 years of existence. Love the cover art too.

a2611033060_10.jpg

https://satanssatyrs.bandcamp.com/

New Satan's Satyrs. At first I was in complete shock by that cover, but after about a minute just staring at it I fell in love. Amazing! Again they've changed their sound a little. Still rock, but a lot more classing and 70's sounding with twin guitars and shit. Really like the track.

The two last A Forest of Stars albums have been greatly disappointing, but this sounds sublime. Really good!

Just attended the 10th incarnation of Inner Awakening Festival here in Budapest, 100% underground black metal mayhem over two nights as expected.

Some thoughts on the participating bands:

Day 1

Goatcraft (Slovakia) - Started off things nicely, nothing remarkable but solid black metal with a nice atmosphere.

Lepra (Hungary) - Total crushing darkness as they always do. One of the best and most recognizable Hungarian BM bands currently imo.

Kaosophia (Ukraine) - These guys were the highlights for me on the first night. Highly atmospheric, and catchy yet technical stuff. Impressive!

Inferno (Czech Republic) - I wasn't feeling it. The weak sound (after what seemed to be the longest soundcheck of all time) ruined it most of all.

I left halfway through Inferno's set cuz I was really tired and sleepy, so I couldn't see Mortuus (Sweden) but heard they were good.

Day 2

Niedergang (Hungary) - Great start. Excellent guitarplay with equal amounts of moody and thrashy, a bit of a mid-90s throwback vibe.

Dunkelheit (Hungary) - Holy moly, this was the loudest gig at the whole fest probably, lol. Stylistically they were similar to Niedergang, so pretty solid.

До Скону / Do Skonu (Ukraine) - These guys had more of a death metal sound. Would've been a nice refreshment if they weren't so utterly boring. Meh.

Head of The Demon (Sweden) - YES. YESSS. YEEESSS!!! I came just for this band and they killed us all. They were very different from the rest of the lineup, dare I say not even 'pure' black metal (but certainly with BM elements). It's like someone traveled back in time to give a group of occult magicians a Black Sabbath and a Neurosis record to write ritualistic demon-conjuring music. Had a really trippy, airy and esoteric doom vibe. Great stage presence too, not something I'd say for most of the other bands, heh.

After HOTD there was still Hell Militia (France) left  but I had to go before they took the stage cuz I had early-shift work today, mehhh.

All in all, a really cool time. Only negative thing was the unpredictable lengths of the soundchecks (two years ago they managed to solve it really punctually, so I thought everything would go according to schedule now too), but it was tolerable still. Can't wait for them to announce next year's lineup!

Edited by Jigsaw9

Fun metal-punk with a brilliant hand-drawn video.

732121.jpg?0117

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Wasteland

Interesting cover, but not quite sure what to think about it. Looking forward to hearing some new tunes tho. Got the feeling it'll be a bit different than before.

731241.jpg?0043

That sounds pretty damn good. Their first release since 2003's Bloodsoaked and Ill-Fated. 

732526.jpg?3257

https://necromaniac.bandcamp.com/

New EP from Necromaniac, and it's just as cool as the demo. Black/death/thrash inspired by Hellhammer, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Possessed, Necrovore and more. Sounds nice and old school.

724867.jpg?3356

Bosse-de-Nage - Further Still

https://bosse-de-nage.bandcamp.com/

The two new tracks sounds cool.

NDMKiIQ.png

New Master album. I haven't really paid any attention to Master in recent years, but dear god, what a fucking monster of a cover that is. Will check it out for sure. The debut album Master, the second album On the Seventh Day God Created... Master and the 2003 Unreleased 1985 Album are fantastic albums, and everything they've heard beside those are good too. But they're just more of the same and far from as good.

You also got mastermind Paul Speckmann's other bands Death Strike, Abomination, Funeral Bitch and Speckmann Project that's really fucking good, but more or less play the same type of music. Death Strike and Speckmann Project is a bit more on the death metally side, but you can hear that they are Paul Speckmann's bands. Same with Johansson & Speckmann which is a lesser Death Strike and Speckmann Project, as in a more death metally band, albeit far from as good as the previously mentioned bands.

So I kinda feel like I've got more than enough Paul Speckmann, but I'll check it out due to the cover.

https://masterdeathmetal.bandcamp.com/album/vindictive-miscreant-death-metal

Checked the song and wasn't impressed tbh.

Very cool song. But I am surprised at how straight-forward these two new tracks is. Nergal mentioned them having a huge WTF-factor and being weird as fuck, but this is a lot more straight-forward than The Satanist.

On 9/2/2018 at 1:10 PM, Bear said:

Fun metal-punk with a brilliant hand-drawn video.

So did no one bother checking this out, or did everyone think it was trash?

The new Furze album is streaming and it's a fucking beast of an album, and like all Furze albums up till now it's an original and unique take on the black metal we all know and love, and different from everything you've heard up till now. The way he mixes black metal, thrash metal, doom metal and dark, heavy psych is just brilliant, and clearly the work of a complete madman.

https://furze.bandcamp.com/album/the-presence

Megathérion, German black/thrash with members from the brilliant band Eurynomos and Cruel Force. Fantastic release if you like 80's black/thrash. As old school as it gets.

Any Architects Fans here?

After the tragic passing of guitarist Tom due to cancer, the band has had the attention of many to see what they'll do next. They've released one single since then. DOOMSDAY and today the follow up track Hereafter. The band has now annouced the release of a full length album out in November.

If you guys dont know them please check them out:

The awful title aside, this song is great and the sound is just amazing. That guitar tone is sexy as fuck, and Nick Holmes is just getting better with each release since he started growling again. Like, I'm one of few(?) who though Holmes did really good on Grand Morbid Funeral, but this time around he sounds even better. I kinda wonder if one of the reasons for that is that GMF was written before Holmes joined the band, and that this is written more to suit his vocals or if he's just gotten used to it again. Or a mix of both maybe? Anyway, good track.

On 9/12/2018 at 12:35 PM, -NOVA- said:

Any Architects Fans here?

🙋‍♂️

That new song is solid as hell, as expected from Architects to be honest. I've been wondering if they were going to announce an album anytime soon and that is exactly what they do, what a timing! Hahaha. I'm so looking forward "Holy Hell". 

any Dragonlord fans here? I was waiting more than a decade to listen this album, the wait was worth it, Eric Peterson put an awesome album! more black than thrash 

even the cover is fucking awesome
35342459_2477651595612937_55567660239919

Edited by Sickle