The general Metal discussion thread

So Sleep just released a new album out of nowhere. No one seems to have heard anything  about the album until today, which is really weird as it dropped digitally today and physically tomorrow. Sounds really cool too.

Some black metal to look forward to:

709995.jpg?1830

Autarcie - Sequania

705083.jpeg?4920

Skogen - Skuggorna kallar

710020.jpg?4429

Immortal - Northern Chaos Gods (single)

676636.jpg?1252

Nachash - Phantasmal Triunity

704726.jpg?0152

Ripped to Shreds - 埋葬 (Máizàng)

Bolt Thrower meets Entombed, with lyrics inspired by China and Chinese history, something which the album title, as well as track titles such as "Talisman to Seal the Hopping Corpse Before It Steals Your Qi", "Yellow River Incident, 1938", "撿骨 (Bone Ritual)" and "罌粟花 (Black Seeds)" clearly lets you know.

I've only played it once, but it sounds like lots of fun so far.

4 hours ago, Bear said:

710020.jpg?4429

Immortal - Northern Chaos Gods

On July 6th 2018, Norwegian black metal legends IMMORTAL will unleash their first studio album since »All Shall Fall«, released almost nine years ago. The legendary band has forged »Northern Chaos Gods«, an album which takes IMMORTAL back to its roots. The album features eight new tracks consisting of 45 minutes of merciless speed and icy darkness, all massive songs in the true IMMORTAL way.

I'm not gonna lie, that bold out does get me hyped as fuck.

Okay, this is really epic! I didn't like their previous release but this sound really has me hooked and looking forward the new album.

Also the album artwork is beautiful.

Spoiler

Skeletonwitch.jpg

That new Marduk track was pretty unremarkable for me, but I like how they mixed it up with the female vocals, hah. :D 

Also, listened to the new Aura Noir album, it's awesome as hell!

As cool as that riff is, it could've been repeated for five minutes for all that I care. Would still liked the song hella much.

And kudos to Marduk for making a song that is splitting the fans, with the majority seemingly hating or strongly disliking it. Two thumbs up!

Edited by Bear

By far their best track since Terminal Spirit Disease. This is actually really, really good, and unlike At War with Reality and one of the two previous tracks, this doesn't sound anything like a Slaughter of the Soul light. Enjoying this! Album should be good.

Edit: The best alongside Blinded by Fear of course. I always forget about Blinded by Fear as it's so much better than the rest of SotS. It's on a whole different level.

Edited by Bear

As far as heavy metal go, Black Sword Thunder Attack will be your best discovery of 2018. As epic as it gets. Released their first demo in 2002 and only released an additional two demos since then. Time to get your debut album/EP out. This is too good!

Has anyone here already seen Aura Noir live? They're gonna be performing in Brussels in two weeks and I don't know yet if I want to go to their concert. I'm gonna check out the new album anyways and hope it will convince me to go see their show.

Seen them several times and they always deliver one hell of a gig. Superb live band. A must-see for any fan of thrash and black metal, and filthy metal in general.

Edited by Bear

Might go in that case. Although I must admit that I'm tempted to go to the concert only to see Nuclear Devastation, they're awesome.

8.15 and til the end are some of the best music ever written. Top 5 moments in metal history for sure. Especially with the bass solo around 9.25, before it breaks into what might be the very best guitar solo ever written.

So satisfied with this album. There's not a huge change in the sound, but there's some differences. You don't have to go further than the first track to hear there's some different elements to this. At times really fast, at times mid-paced and at times slow. They've not been this varied in ages, and I love it. The production, the riffs and more than anything, the vocals by A.A. Nemtheanga who I consider one of the top 5 vocalists ever. Not for his technique or skills, but for his passion similar to Quorton who is also one of those 5 favourites of mine. Superb!

Newthe Immortal track is up on Spotify. I've only heard it on my phone, but it was surprisingly brutal and some of the riffing reminded me of Blizzard Beasts. The solo was very old school sounding too.

Can't wait to get home and play it on proper speakers.

Daaayuuuum! Immortal just released their first new track in 9 years, and their first ever song without Abbath, and it is amazing. Fast, brutal and aggressive. The riffing takes me back to Blizzard Beasts and the solo takes me back even further. Demonaz sounds so good too. I was really looking forward to this, but I expected something slower and more epic and not nearly as good. Really happy about this. Fantastic song!

Listening to it on my phone speakers was a positive experience.

Listening on my headphones were even better.

And listening on my speakers at home were mindblowing!

I dig the new Immortal track too, having high hopes for the album now!

There's also another new Marduk song out, "Equestrian Bloodlust", tho I've only heard a snippet of it  - so far so good.

Yeah, it's so good. I just can't stop listening to it. It's probably Horgh's best/most interesting drumming since Blizzard Beasts. It's so chaotic and awesome.