The general Metal discussion thread

Yup, the new Visigoth album is solid as fuuuck! I didn't know what to expect after the masterpiece that "The Revenant King" was, but they fucking did it again. These guys though.

Btw new Kalmah album announced to come out the 6th of April, stoked for this! 

After five years of waiting, I hope this is going to be worth it. Evil Kin doesn't sound too bad, although the production could have been a tad better. 

Edited by Visutox

Forget about Ranger, Vulture and the boring hyper-modern sounding Evil Invaders (can't believe these guys are actually popular, but I get the impression they are?), Stälker are the new speed metal heroes. Shadow of the Sword is just too good, and one of the very best albums of 2017. The riffs and solos, vocals, drumming, production, cover art and hell, even music video is cool as fuck. This is as 80's as metal can get in 2017. The entire album is close to perfection and they have a really near cover of Death's Evil Dead.

Edited by Bear

New Visigoth is good, but it doesn't live up to the debut at all. But maybe it's a proper grower.

Anyway, talking about epic/true heavy/power metal, I discovered Legendry yesterday. A lot more similar to Manilla Road than Visigoth, with dungeon- and mist-like atmosphere over it all. Rough productions and a poor, albeit cool as fuck, vocalist over cool riffs. I really enjoy these guys!

https://legendry.bandcamp.com/album/initiation-rituals

I personally think that their debut album is fantastic but the new one is (again, to me) a clear upgrade. Like getting rid of the unnecessary stuff from The Revenant King (i.e. the doom-y influences à la Candlemass in some tracks, they're enjoyable but that really doesn't give any cohesion and coherence to an album that's already  long) + keeping what they do best and pushing it a step further. Conqueror's Oath is way more coherent and seems more accomplished, maybe because it's more straight forward than the previous album. In any case, both albums are phenomenal.

Varathron dropped a new song for their forthcoming album and it sounds pretty solid. Can't wait to check out this new beast! 

2 hours ago, Visutox said:

What an absolutely brilliant track!

I kinda fell of the Thy Catafalque wagon sometime after Rengeteg, I think I might've skipped his last album too... but this sounds really fresh and brusting with energy! Lovin' it!

Well with these two new songs there's no doubt that Primordial is doing something different on this album. I love the riffing on this song, even though it sounds a bit weird. A.A. Nemtheanga is singing way too good as usual.

Not metal, but because of one of its members I'll just post it here. Psych pop/rock featuring Chris Reifert (Autopsy, Death) and comedian and musician Dave Hill. It's fairly generic, but it sounds good. Together Alone is an especially good track. Reminds me of a light-hearted Blue Öyster Cult. Really sweet!

That was not what I had hoped for at all. At an artwork and title that made me think of both The Red in the Sky Is Ours and With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness I was hoping for something darker and more death metal-esque, with more death metal riffing ala their old stuff. But this is just more of the same they did with Slaughter of the Soul and At War with Reality, albeit a lot better than At War with Reality .

It's not bad, just not what I had hoped for.

The new Drudkh album is great as fuck, I don't get the bad reviews. Need to spin it more, it might grow in me more and more and maybe become one of my favorites of this year.

Surprisingly enough, I also liked the new Judas Priest album a fucklot. It's very good, need to give it more time but my first spin exceeded my expectations. I'm happy for them! Also, I'm not too much into the recent JP albums but isn't Rob's vocal performance particularly awesome in Firepower than in the band's previous records?

Some upcoming shit to look forward to:

697591.jpg?1743

Aura Noir - Aura Noire

697990.jpg?1035

Vomitor - Pestilent Death

https://vomitor-australia.bandcamp.com/

New track sounds superb as always from these crazy aussie death metallers. 

696719.jpg?0349

Glorior Belli - The Apostates

https://gloriorbelli.bandcamp.com/album/the-apostates

New track sounds pretty good. Great rocking solo. Less stoner/southern rock and blues influence and more straight black metal than their last four albums. Their previous four albums have had its ups and downs, but I think the whole southern rocking black metal approach have been really cool and interesting, even though they haven't been fully able to mix the genres properly. But there's been huge potential for sure.

701045.jpg?1127

Sworn - Dark Stars and Eternity

Sounds a bit disappointing to be quite honest. They've never been a brilliant band, but their two first albums have been good melodic black metal with great sense of melodies and brutality, without wussying out at all. This new sounds less brutal and more... pop-ish? Not nearly as good as Bastards and Conquerors, at least nofr after one listen.

Yeah. Sad Legend and Searching for the Hope in Utter Darkness... are two overlooked gems who know one really seems to remember or have heard. Top class melodic black metal. Always thought they sounded like a mix of Kvist and Dimmu Borgir's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. Classics as far as second rate black metal goes.

South-Korea have had a fair share of good black metal bands, with my favourites being:

Sad Legend

Aek Gwi

Pyha

Shadows of Black Candlelight

Kalpa (amazing album if you can get past the awful drums)

Oathean (first couple of albums)

Thy Sepulchral Moon (2/3rd of the band are South-Korean. Vocalist is Canadian)

These are really, really good.

1 hour ago, Bear said:

Yeah. Sad Legend and Searching for the Hope in Utter Darkness... are two overlooked gems who know one really seems to remember or have heard. Top class melodic black metal. Always thought they sounded like a mix of Kvist and Dimmu Borgir's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. Classics as far as second rate black metal goes.

South-Korea have had a fair share of good black metal bands, with my favourites being:

Sad Legend

Aek Gwi

Pyha

Shadows of Black Candlelight

Kalpa (amazing album if you can get past the awful drums)

Oathean (first couple of albums)

Thy Sepulchral Moon (2/3rd of the band are South-Korean. Vocalist is Canadian)

These are really, really good.

Yeah, Oathean and Kalpa are amazing too! Though I personally prefer the self-titled Sad Legend album to the Searching for the Hope in Utter Darkness EP.

Checked out the band based on the cover not too long ago, but I was not impressed at all. Not too impressed by the riffs or production, and I found the vocals to be annoying as fuck. Which is a shame, because I would have loved to own a vinyl of that album based on the cover.

But what is up with the mixing? It's like they've integrated every instrument into the same mix, but just put the vocals on top later. It doesn't sound like a natural part of the overall sound at all. It's so weird.

But that cover art though. Fabulous!

We are so shocked and saddened to bring you the news of our dear brother Killjoy passing away this morning. We are at a loss for words. R.I.P brother you are forever in our hearts. We will cherish our moments together forever. 
Frank (Killjoy) Pucci 1969-2018
R.I.P
Necrophagia
Serge, Shawn, Jake

Holy shit... May he R.I.P. :(

Damn! That's a surprise. Only 48 years old as well. Way, way too early to die.

What a man, though. Leaves the world as one of the founders of death metal with lots of good music to his name. People will mainly remember him from Necrophagia, but he released some truly amazing stuff with Cabal, The Ravenous and Enoch.

Season of the Dead, Ready for Death and the demos are as legendary as they get to be honest. Brilliant stuff! But everything up until and including The Divine Art of Torture are top notch!

Summoning meets Ennio Morricone's western soundtracks. Sounds very, very good and super unique.