The general Metal discussion thread

It comes as no surprise that there's tons of similarities with Nile, but that track sure as hell sounds terrific. 

Anyone's listened to the new Blut aus Nord album? It leaked already. I was a bit tired when I checked it out but it sounded as I expected it would and I liked it, need to give it more spins though. 

Let's talk about some real shit right here:

Two years after their debut EP Luzifer strikes back with a new single and the first track is out. Lovely stuff once again, and even though they wear their inspiration on their sleeve they sure as hell got their own thing going. Very distinctive sound. Awesome cover art too!

a0398835383_16.jpg

https://stalkerofficial.bandcamp.com/

Stalker offers nothing new to the genre, but this new track is superb. Pure speed metal madness. Speed metal kills!

After some drama within the band, Maniac Neil decided to kick the entire band and continue by himself. At least that's the impression I've gotten. Anyway, Blood Freak is back and I am interested. Maniac Neil and his Blood Freak will never be able to top the masterpieces that is Sleaze Merchants, Live Fast, Die Young... and Leave a Flesh-Eating Corpse! and Multiplex Massacre, but I am always interested in something new from Maniac Neil. Squalor was a huge step up from the mediocre Mindscraper, and this sounds decent. But it lacks the thrashy, grindy and punky attitude of the first three albums. A bit too straight up death metal.

https://xanthochroid.bandcamp.com/album/of-erthe-and-axen-act-i-2017

The cinematic extreme metallers in Xanthochroid returns with no less than two albums in 2017. Very over the top orchestrations and stuff, but not in the same, disgusting way as newer Wintersun. Imagine something like Ne Obliviscaris meets mid-era Opeth  meets big, epic filmscores. Grand and cheesy, but very enjoyable and fun.

Holy cow, I cannot get over how ADIS nowadays Destruction is. Did they learn ntohing from the abysmal Thrash Anthems? They took 9 fantastic songs from Sentence of Death/Infernal Overkill/Mad Butcher/Eternal Devastation, and 4 good songs from Release from Agony/Cracked Brain and completely butchered them. And now they are releasing Thrash Anthems II. I have no doubt that this will be another abysmal release from these pussies. Band re-recording classic material should just go and die.

The only good thing that's come from the re-recorded metal classics like Thrash Anthems, Let There Be Blood, The Greater of Two Evils, Battle Hymns MMXI, No Place for Disgrace 2014 and so on is that it shows how metal is about so much more than just good riffs. These are all abysmal recordings, even though the source material is as classic as it gets.

a2390782312_16.jpg

This beast adds up to the "amazing death metal albums of 2017" list, as if said list wasn't already long enough. Unreal album, absolutely vicious and brutal. This is the kind of death metal I live for. 

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/eroded-corridors-of-unbeing

a2069119791_16.jpg

I had high expectations for this album and it sure as hell fulfilled them. Another great melodic/death metal album, beautifully crafted and those bass-lines are such a beautiful thing to listen to. I'm gonna be playing this a lot in the next days/weeks/months.

https://horrified.bandcamp.com/album/allure-of-the-fallen

a1328332637_16.jpg

Another personal favorite from this year, I fucking love this one. Some dark/post-metal that holds such a dark and amazing atmosphere throughout the whole thing. Has an amazing replay value and already listened it a few times, and it gets better after every spin. Fiar is such an amazing vocalist! Plus all the lyrics are in Catalan this time, and that is a + for me since I love the language and I'm trying to learn it. Other than that, I love the album cover.

https://foscor.bandcamp.com/

Adam Burke killed it this year, once again... Horrified, Artificial Brain, Loss, Pagan Altar, FFAA and so on. He's only capable of great things.

Edited by Visutox

Spectral Voice and Blood Incantation will have a gig here in Budapest about a week from now, so I've been spinning some of their stuff and damnnn this is some juicy filthy music right here! Good vibes, the stench of death permeating everything, likin' it.

Also yes, that Spectral Voice album cover is awesome as hell! :D

Edited by Jigsaw9

Wish I could attend to such an amazing gig! 

Yes, the album cover of Eroded Corridors is really spot on. Really representative of the music! Love album covers that are a true reflection of the music itself. 

Also I completely didn't realize this before, but it looks like both bands share the exact same members, except for the drummers. No wonder they're touring/playing together, lol.

Edited by Jigsaw9

New track from the upcoming Acid Witch album. Pure horror! Those creeped out "horror film-esque vocals" are truly great. This band is the perfect soundtrack for October and Halloween. 

It's a fantastic track but... I don't get the point of the utterly annoying high-pitched sound? I don't know if it's a sort of tambourine that is responsible of that but it fucks the track up for me. Listening to this, I can't believe I used to complain about Old Mornings Dawn's mastering...

Edited by Visutox

Was really disappointed by this album when it was release, but it's really grown on me. I am fucking loving this. Over the top and cheesy power metal with lots of catchy choruses. It's not something I'll listen to every single week, but every now and then I go on a cheesy power metal ride and I just play a lot of Gloryhammer, Rhapsody, Luca Turilli and so on. This has been one of those weeks.

a3153145555_16.jpg

Just checked out this new beast from Scour, and hell, what an EP! I think it's even better than the self-titled EP and Phil Anselmo is such a versatile vocalist... Like holy hell, the vocal range goes from some vicious death metal growls to some totally evil and harsh black metal vocal techniques that are simply just amazing. Plus the evil atmosphere that the guitars create is fucking terrific and the solos are so damn fun. It's short, straight forward, right to the point and as good as it gets. Might be one of my favorite EPs of 2017, hands down! 

https://scourofficial.bandcamp.com/album/red-ep

Edited by Visutox

Some albums to look forward to in the coming months:

677822.jpg

Orphaned Land - Unsung Prophets & Dead Messiahs

677711.jpg

Hooded Menace - Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed

678907.jpg

Druid Lord - Grotesque Offerings

679868.jpg

Tribulation - Lady Death

676765.jpg

Evilfeast - Elegies of the Stellar Wind

674958.jpg

Beastiality - Worshippers of Unearthly Perversions

674783.jpg

Obscure Burial - Obscure Burial

Damn, that Hooded Menace and Druid Lord covers are sweet as fuck. Awesome! Really like the cartoonish tone of the Beastiality cover (albeit a bit of a weird choice considering the music they play) and the darkness of the Tribulation Ep cover too. Looks good!

Really looking forward Orphaned Land, Evilfeast and Obscure Burial albums! And all of these album covers are amazing, holy shit. 

tribulationdownbelowcd.jpg

01. The Lament
02. Nightbound
03. Lady Death
04. Subterranea
05. Purgatorio
06. Cries From The Underworld
07. Lacrimosa
08. The World
01. Here Be Dragons
10. Come, Become, To Be (bonus track)

Hell yeah! Superb song and nice, classy and beautifully shot video.

Just finished listening the new album and yes, it's solid as fuck. Need more spins but as always, it's so damn epic and atmospheric and everything. I can't wait to have the lyrics  in front of me and be able to read along as I listen to this great album.

I'm on my third spin of WDWC and it's getting better and better with every listening. Holy shit. It's quite similar to OMD but somehow feels less dense and more... effective? I love this album. 

One of my coworkers just got me into the old Cancer albums - what a glorious band!

First three albums are stellar (haven't listened to the other/later stuff yet).

Edited by Jigsaw9