The general Metal discussion thread

Yeah, huge fan of older Candlemass here, with their debut Epicus Doomicus Metallicus beyond my favourite by a long shot. One of the best and most epic doom metal albums of all time.

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (what a glorious and fitting title!), Nightfall, Ancient Dreams and Tales of Creation are all must-haves for fans of doom metal.

Chapter V, Dactylis Glomerata and From the 13th Sun gives me nothing at all. Awfully boring albums, and much less doomy than both previous and later albums.

Candlemass was a nice return to form, but it didn't last long.

King of the Grey Islands, Death Magic Doom and Psalms for the Dead ave plenty good music, but Robert Lowe, as fantastic as he really is, was just out of place on those albums and he sounds so unconfident. Don't think he fits the style at all. Would love to hear these with a different vocalist. 

Death Thy Lover however is once again a return to form, and Mats Levén sounds like he was born to sing for Candlemass. Great release!

Dark Are the Veils of Death should be a fun release too.

Also, Candlemass is one of my all time favourite band names. Cool as fuck!

Bewtiched was also the directiroal debut of Jonas Åkerlund who was a member of Bathory at one time (83-84), and he played on the Scandinavian Metal Attack split. Afterwards he's gone on to direct videos for bands and artists Madonna, Lady Gaga, Metallica, The Prodigy, Paul McCartney, Satyricon, Beyonce and more. But his masterpiece is Spun. Fantastic film!

I'm not one of those who hate Myrkur with passion, but I don't like it either. Not one bit. It's shit. But after this atrocity of a cover song I hope she just drives off a cliff or gets raped by a fucking bear or something. That is awful.

Guys, seriously check out the new Cannabis Corpse album. I know they seem kinda like a joke band (their song titles sure make me chuckle at least xD), but this is some of the most pulverizing, crushing, solid and catchy death metal I've heard in a while. One of my go-to feelgood bands, they always make quality stuff.

1 hour ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Guys, seriously check out the new Cannabis Corpse album. I know they seem kinda like a joke band (their song titles sure make me chuckle at least xD), but this is some of the most pulverizing, crushing, solid and catchy death metal I've heard in a while. One of my go-to feelgood bands, they always make quality stuff.

I was planning to check it out very soon and saw on lastfm that you were listening to it, so it's a good timing from you because I was gonna ask your opinion on it! 

On 09/09/2017 at 3:01 PM, Bear said:

I'm not one of those who hate Myrkur with passion, but I don't like it either. Not one bit. It's shit. But after this atrocity of a cover song I hope she just drives off a cliff or gets raped by a fucking bear or something. That is awful.

It's funny how you say that you don't hate her with passion yet you take it 100% personal in the next sentence. You're a legend, man.

Couldn't fall in love with Myrkur when I checked out M although it was a decent album IMO, had very good moments too. Not my cup of tea. 

^ Fair enough man.

Wondering if someone has already checked out the new Satyricon album? It leaked a few weeks ago but the negative criticism around it are a turn off, still gonna end up checking it out soon anyway. 

I've been spinning Hall of the Mountain King from Savatage recently and what an album that is. Jon Oliva is definitely one of my all-time favorite heavy metal vocalists. What a man, what a voice.

Edited by Visutox

Credit where credit is due. Myrkur's black metal stuff is trash, but this was a lovely collab. Chelsea Wolfe is always amazing, so that sure helps.

Finally giving a good listen to Cradle of Filth's "Dusk... and Her Embrace: The Original Sin" recording, what a treat! So cool to hear this alternative (or, well, original) version of the now-classic album. The sound quality is perfect too, and ofc the songs themselves rip like hell.

Excited for the new album too from what I've heard so far. Gonna hold off until it officially gets released, won't spoil myself with the leak.

4 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Finally giving a good listen to Cradle of Filth's "Dusk... and Her Embrace: The Original Sin" recording, what a treat! So cool to hear this alternative (or, well, original) version of the now-classic album. The sound quality is perfect too, and ofc the songs themselves rip like hell.

Excited for the new album too from what I've heard so far. Gonna hold off until it officially gets released, won't spoil myself with the leak.

Oh yes! The Original Sin is just as good as the classic Dusk... if you ask me.  Very, very different sounding, and not only in terms of production, but the synth is so different. Less gothic. Which makes it a whole different album. But both are 6/6 as far as I am concerned. Perfect black metal albums!

Didn't know the new one leaked. Only heard two songs, but both were great, and very different from what we've got to know Cradle of Filth for. Love how they suddenly break into melodic death metal in one of the previous songs. But not the weakass pussy shit melodic death metal most people enjoy. The good kind.

2hn5elx.jpg

I've posted some stuff about Unleashed in the past, a band it took me along time to get into. Generally considered a 2nd/3rd rate death metal band, but their debut album is top notch and their demos are even better. This release which consists of the bands two first demos are up there with the best of late 80's/early 90's Swedish death metal. It's up there with the Dismember demos Last Blasphemies and Reborn in Blasphemy, Nihilist's three demos Premature Autopsy, Only Shreds Remain and Drowned, the Grave demo and single Sick Disgust Eternal and Tremendous Pain, Nirvana 2002's demo Disembodied Spirits, God Macabre's The Winterlong..., Carnage's demo Infestation of Evil, Tiamiat's single A Winter Shadow, and a few more as the very best of Swedish death metal.

Huge fan of Swedish death metal in general, and you amount of great albums and EPs released between the late 80's and until 93-94 in insane. But the majority of the Swedish bands were at their best when they released their demos.

The Utter Dark / Revenge... It's obviously raw and heavy and really brutal, much due to the production of both demos which are exceptional. Far from polished, but the rawness of the production just brings forth the brutality and rawness of it all. This is 25 minute of pure death metal. Rotten, putrid and fantastic!

Concert with Vulture Industries tonight. Started off as more of a Arctururs rip offish band, but later moved towards a less black metal and extreme metal-sound and into a more avant-garde and progressive path, with Devil Doll as a main inspiration. Or, at least I think so, because with every album they've gotten more and more Devil Doll-ish. Which is awesome as Devil Doll are one of my favourite bands.

Seen them live before and it was quite special. Really good on-stage, but they did some things which were really awkward in a cool and fun way. Really looking forward to it.

Hope they play the two songs I posted. Blood Don't Eliogabalus is their own interpretation of the classic, 25 minute long Devil Doll epic Eliogabalus. Really cool and unique, and it just blends Vulture Industries' own sound with the classic sound of Devil Doll. Love it!

https://ir-fog.bandcamp.com/album/n-wa

New Inferno Requiem is up on bandcamp. Quality again from these Taiwanese black metallers. Sounds like Judas Iscariot meet old Gorgoroth (demo and debut album) with a slight asian twist on it.  Sounds great, even tho the drums sounds a bit fucked. And at times they sound really fucked. But it works. Nice atmosphere throughout.

Cradle of Filth's Cryptoriana - The Seductiveness Of Decay isn't quite as good as Hammer of the Witches, but it's very nice. They reuse much of the same elements, but it sounds a bit less black metal again. But the songwriting is really nice and there's a lot of fun going on in each track. Love the gothic atmosphere. And with gothic I don't talk about gothic as in gothic metal, but gothic as in victorian, gothic horror. I love it!

Sounds like a solid 8/10.

So Bron suddenly got really active. Formed in 2014 and released an excellent demo, then the next demo was released in 2016 (also excellent) and an album in 2016. Then in 2017 he's released two EPs and two full lenghts.

Зарђала Круна is a mix of ambient and black metal.

White City, Black Circle is more of an ambient release. Urban ambient maybe? Very different from his other releases. Completely different atmosphere.

Ruins is more of a folkish ambient release. Not as cold and wintery sounding as the black metal stuff, but it's got that nature atmosphere to it.

Where the Leaden Dawn Meets Iron Shores is a return to the atmospheric, ambient black metal of the past. Really good album!

It's a bit fun tho as the main guy said that Зарђала Круна would be his last album with black metal elements for quite some time, but it took less than a year before he released a black metal album again. Well, I don't complain. Sounds a lot like Evilfeast and Forest Silence, and I like it a lot. Perfect war walks in the snowy forests.

37343373092_e22f85758b_c.jpg

Haven't enjoyed a single Taake release since Hordalands doedskvad, but that cover art is fantastic. So simple and so little - but so much at the same time. Atmospheric! Looks like a Paysage d'Hiver cover tbh. Love it!

Discovered an australian band named Runespell the other day. Been spinning the demo a few times and happen to be really impressed. This statement sounds so weird, but I feel there's a lot of truth in it: Runespell sounds like a darker, more medieval and grimmer Macabre Omen. It got the majestic feeling to it, but without being quite as epic. There's something so fucking triumphal about the entire demo which is top notch!

War-Wolf Virtue is one of the songs of the year. Holy fuck!

https://ironboneheadproductions.bandcamp.com/album/runespell-aeons-of-ancient-blood

Will play the debut album later tonight.

Anyone want to come out with their melodic death metal favourites? Been massively into melodic death metal lately but I feel like I know all the good bands already. I'm more or less interested in bands actually rooted in death metal.

In Flames - Lunar Strain

Sacrilege - Lost in the Beauty You Slay

Sacrilege - Fifth Season

Dawn - Apparition

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours

At the Gates - With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness

Hypocrisy - The Fourth Dimension

Hypocrisy - Abducted

Cenotaph - Riding Our Black Oceans

Cenotaph - Epic Rites (9 Epic Tales and Death Rites)

A Canorous Quintet - Silence of the World Beyond

Intestine Baalism - An Anatomy of the Beast

So basically melodic death metal bands that actually sounds like death metal. So I am kinda looking for bands that are really rooted in death metal and sounds nothing like Slaughter of the Soul The Jester Race, the two albums which made (melodic) death metal into a household genre for the entire fucking family to enjoy. And the popularity of both spawned a billion clones and most of them took the main sound of both these two albums and just watered it down to something as radio friendly as Iron Maiden and Lady Gaga. Would love it if it actually sounds like it was made pre-95.

I'm not too familiar with newer melodic death metal as it takes 100 tries to find a decent band. But if anyone got a good, new band in the vein of the mentioned above, don't be shy.

Edited by Bear

morbidangelkingdomscd.jpg

Cheap and fucking ugly cover art. Why the fuck would they think this shit is OK? And why is the logo so small and place where it is?  It's so bad it feels like an insult. The new song, which is up on spotify, is not too bad however, but it's a bit too chugging and the mix is way off IMO. But Steve Tucker sounds very good.

Should be noted that I am not a fan of Morbid Angel post-Covenant, tho. And this sounds a bit more Formulas Fatal to the Flesh- and Gateways to Annihilation-esque, and I am not a fan of those albums at all.

Yeah, although I haven't yet listened to the new song I gotta say that it's not that album cover that is responsible for my excitement concerning the new album. I can't wait to check out the whole thing!

Edited by Visutox

Eh, I don't mind the cover. I sampled the new track, sounds decent enough. Actually it piqued my interest so that I might attend the band's gig in December here. :D (side note: I never really got into MA, but I've been spinning their stuff for the past couple days.)

You never got into Altars of Madness or Thy Kingdom Come? Two of the best death metal releases from that era IMO. And Abominations of Desolation also. Great release.

As for the album cover, it's so bad I'll never spend any money on that release unless it's released with a different cover. When I pay for music I pay for everything from the music to the cover, and I pay for the entire package. Everything gotta be good. Looks like the cover for a new, semi-technical deathcore band or a super technical death metal band without any actual money to spend on cover art.

That is how death metal covers should look in 2017

a1446535534_10.jpg

0009712607_10.jpg

a3710759522_10.jpg

a1470210439_10.jpg

Press_Cover_01.jpg

To be fair death metal covers should ALWAYS look like that (and btw couldn't get into that Cryptic Brood album, need to spin it more and see how it goes next time).

arkhon.jpg

Arkhon Infaustus are finally back after 10 years of silence with a sensational EP and I totally love it, the Frenchmen are only getting better with time. Can't wait to get a full album of this.

Just putting this out here: Dallas Toler-Wade (ex-Nile guitarist/vocalist) will be releasing a new Narcotic Wasteland album in a few days.

Premiere track sounds pretty sick.