The general Metal discussion thread

Favourite depressive black metal albums? I'll join in and I'll post a shitload of my favourite releases of the subgenre, but a lot of these are from before the boom, tho. Some might disagree with including an album like Hvis lyset tar oss, because is it really depressive black metal? Well, it sure is borderline. But a lot of the albums that were released post-94 that has the depressive black metal tag to them are heavily influenced and based on the sound of Hvis lyset tar oss, End of Life, Strid, Ravens over the Road of Kings, Forgotten Woods, Through the Woods, As the Wolves Gather, Sjel av natten and a few more. And while that doesn't make the original album a part of the subgenre itself, I do feel like Hvis lyset tar oss belongs on the list.

Strid - End of Life

Strid - Strid

Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss

Forgotten Woods - As the Wolves Gather

Forgotten Woods - The Curse of Mankind

Forgotten Woods - Sjel av natten

Forgotten Woods - Forgotten Woods / Through the Woods

Nidhoggr - Ravens Over the Road of Kings

Wigrid - Hoffnungstod

Wigrid - Die Asche eines Lebens

Nyktalgia - Nyktalgia

Hypothermia - Rakbladsvalsen

Hypothermia - Gråtoner

Hypothermia - Veins

Hypothermia - Köld

Trist - Stíny

Trist - Sebevražední andělé

Trist - Zrcadlení melancholie

Xashur - Nocturnal Poisoning

Xasthur - The Funeral of Being

Make a Change... Kill Yourself - II

Austere - Withering Illusions and Desolation

Austere - To Lay like Old Ashes

Lifelover - Pulver

Lifelover - Konkurs

Drowning the Light - Drowned

Woods of Desolation - Toward the Depths

Woods of Desolation - Sorh

Min Kniv - Av aske

Nargaroth - Geliebte des Regens

Brocken Moon - Das Märchen vom Schnee

I Shalt Become - Wanderings

Mortualia - Mortualia

Then you have bands like Bethlehem, Celestia, Leviathan, Mortifera, Sombres forêts, Gris, Amesoeurs and so on which is borderline depressive black metal on certain albums. But enough to be included? I don't know. But all these bands rules.

Anyway, 33 albums, but only 19 different artists. Tells you everything you need to know about this subgenre IMO. After the boom a billion and two bands formed, but the vast majority is hilariously bad, sad and ridiculous. When it hits, it hits hard. But for most part it doesn't hit at all. The albums are usually very very good, or simply bad. There's rare to find something inbetween.

But it is a genre I play a lot during winter. Bands like Trist, I Shalt Become, Woods of Desolation, Hypothermia, Forgotten Woods and Strid are in heavy rotation during winter. Especially Trist is nothing short of perfect during this time of year.

The worst example of this subgenre is probably this hilarious piece of music:

Good on them having an elephant doing the vocals, tho.

Edited by Bear

Some news:

Portrait-BurnTheWorld.jpg

Portrait - Burn the World

Burn the World

Portrait started off really strong in 2008 with their self-titled debut album which was a really good Mercyful Fate worship album, but since then they've gotten gradually worse. Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae were a more King Diamond-esque album adding more finnese and technique to the riffing, but still a fantastic album. Crossroads were also very good, but going in a much more progressive direction. This new song however, was boring. It was bad. Robin Holmberg (Vampire)  has joined on guitars, and maybe that explains the more thrashy riffing. I don't know. Not impressed at all.

Attic-Sanctimonious.jpg

Attic - Sanctimonious

The Hound of Heaven

Attic formed a bit later than other Mercyful Fate and King Diamond worshippers such as Portrait and Trial, but they are no less good. Sanctimonious will be their first album since 2012's great The Invocation, and judging by this song this will be no worse. The intro is 100% Kind Diamond. Could easily have been taken off a King Diamond album. The vocals are brilliant and probably the closest I've heard anyone come King Diamond. In other words, best Kind Diamond song in ages!

And for those who missed it, Trial released their third album earlier this year. Less Mercyful Fate/King Diamond-esque than Portrait and Attic, but very good tho.

Motherless

Vulture-Indutries-Stranger-Times-e149871

Vulture Industries - Stranger Tides

As the World Burns

These guys started as an Arcturus-esque worship band, but with every single release they've moved further and further away from that sound and found other inspirations/influences. Devil Doll is a band that basically took over for Arcturus on their last album, even including a FANTASTIC interpretation of Devil Doll's Eliogabalus. The sound of this song was surprising. Very psychedelic rock-esque, and I wonder if they're familiar with Hail Spirit Noir. I get some strong Hail Spirit Noir vibes from this track, and that is cool.

@Bear That's about it. In retrospect it's almost funny go through old message boards and youtube comments where the DSBM internet circle was considered almost an existential threat, only for the sound to eventually fizzle out and largely pass away unnoticed. It's a good time now to do a proper survey and see which ones are worth keeping, and then try to form a general picture of the sound and remember the good times we've had because in theory I think the sound is great. 

I'm definitely a kid of the era because I know all those bands with the exception of one, but I specifically asked for it because I couldn't fucking remember them; and speaking of being a kid of the era I recall the really bad ones far better than the good ones. 

It's a fine line between sounding raw, or a middle school band's first practice. 

Which did you not know?

Not really a fan of Nocturnal Depression. They sound way too Happy Days- and I'm in a Coffin-esque to me. I just can't get into the atmosphere, and when you can't get into the atmosphere it's not worth anyone as the subgenre is all about atmosphere. Should like it, but just can't.

But since we're on a Japanese music forum, let's include some Japanese bands too:

Kanashimi

A nice mix of funeral doom and depressive black metal. Always thought this project was a bit underrated.

Samayoi

Another project by O. Misanthropy (Kanashimi), but with him he's got the help of Vlood (Magane, Zombie Ritual) and Alabaster (Magdala Ju-nen). Aside from a split with Infernal Necromancy, these guys never got past the demo stage. A bit more on the melodic black metal side of things than other bands in the genre, but a depressive black metal band nonetheless. Good stuff

Dysthymia

Fairly traditional depressive black metal, but the demo is very good. Great atmosphere, and some of the changes during the riffs are really odd. Makes it a lot more interesting.

Kronlarvo

Doomy, depressive black metal. This is an album that stands out from the crowd IMO. I think the atmosphere is a bit similar to Krohm (a band I forgot about in my previous post. Both albums and demos rules!), but the sound is entirely different.

Oh nocturnal depression is horrible I POSTED THAT BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE IT just to clarify

I wasn't aware of Brocken Moon, and surprisingly they seem to have been around since 1999 ( but a lot of German bands fall under the radar, or so it appears ). Out of those Japanese bands I only knew Kanashimi and only by name really. You're really the guy to count on with lists tho. Re-spekt

Going to raid the parents liquor cabinet tonight and listen to Trist and Hypothermia like it was 2010 again. 

Oh, my bad. Good then. I'm very surprised about how well-received Nocturnal Depression was when they broke through, and they still have quite a strong name. I don't get it at all.

I'm not surprised by that. I don't think I've ever talked to someone in real life nor on the internet who's aware of Brocken Moon. Which is a bit of a surprise to me. Now, the debut album Mondfinsternis isn't all that to be honest. Quite a standard affair. It's ok, but not much more than that.

But the demo Schattenlicht des Mondes and the two albums Das Märchen vom Schnee and Hoffnungslos however are really good, and not quite as standard. Superb atmosphere! Tho, some might have problems hearing past the production of Schattenlicht des Mondes or the godawful, embarrassing cover art for Hoffnungslos. But if you are able to do that you'll find quite a lot to enjoy.

This song sums up the quality of Das Märchen vom Schnee very well:

On 29.6.2017 at 7:21 AM, Bear said:

It's not been a brilliant year for thrash metal, but there's been some good releases if you ask me. Not all these are pure thrash, but I'd recommend checking 'em out anyway:

Droid - Terrestrial Mutations

Progressive speed/thrash heavily influenced by Voivod, Coroner, Vektor,Megadeth and stuff. Imagine if Megadeth anno 1985 were inspired by Voivod and Coroner instead of Metallica.

Evil - Rites of Evil

I haven't heard this entire album, but their demos and splits, as well as the three songs released from this album is great. Think Sabbat, Bathory, Sarcofago, Vulcano, Bulldozer, Tormentor, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction and so on. 80's black/thrash all the way.

Full streams of both albums:

Evil: https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/rites-of-evil

Droid: https://droidcanada.bandcamp.com/album/terrestrial-mutations

Droid sounds very good and Evil sounds like an instant classic. So fucking great, and the solos are crazy good. Superb!

https://wolvesinthethroneroom.bandcamp.com/

A track off the upcoming Wolves in the Throne Room album. Sounds as majestic as ever. This is gonna be good!

https://drudkh.bandcamp.com/album/somewhere-sadness-wanders

A track off the upcoming Drudkh and Paysage d'Hiver split. Sounds very good, just like the last couple of albums as well. But I bet my ass Paysage d'Hiver's side of this split will outclass Drudkh in every way possible.

And the good news doesn't stop here. Pagan Altar will release a new album soon, their first since 2006's Mythical & Magical. The band's upcoming album is titled The Room of Shadows, but was written 13 years ago under the title Never Quite Dead. One of the very best heavy metal and/or doom metal bands ever, depends on what genre you choose to put them in. They never released anything bad, and I doubt this will be anything less than amazing.

Here's a demo version recorded many a year ago with one of the tracks from the upcoming album.

I love me some Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon, and having Slayer playing an older, brutal track is unexpected, but awesome. Fucking Gary Holt, man. What a man! He really gets the job done. Amazing!

Love me some Jimmy Fallon. Great guy!

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2017/07/27/track-premiere-pagan-altar-dance-of-the-vampires/

Here we actually got a track off the new Pagan Altar album. Production-wise it sounds a bit more modern, but it sounds really, really nice and far from over-produced. Terry is an amazing vocalist. He got a very unique touch to his voice, but his passion and devotion is fantastic. A bit like Quorthon, Mr. Doctor and A.A. Nemtheanga who are my three favourite vocalists of all time.

And riff-wise it's brilliant too. Catchy as fuck, and the leads are, as expected from Pagan Altar, nothing short of exceptional.

I don't think anyone cares, but I sure as fuck do:

New Abigor album almost finished!
Black Metal may still be excellent, and the pool of "occult" or post-DSO bands is huge. But where´s the pounding greatness of Natten´s Madrigal, Apokalypsens Ängel, Det Som Engang Var or the Strid 7“ today?
Not that we would or could fill this gap, but in Abigor´s very own stubborn way and with the old-school execution of mentioned masterpieces, our new album was recorded without a single „blastbeat“, without multi-guitar madness or downtuned disharmonic riffing.
String wise, minimalism was the law - only one guitar left, one guitar right, and a bass in the middle. Not one single additional guitar-track to add soli, melodies or double-tracks.
Lyrically, all hokuspokus and theological pondering was avoided. It´s not an album of a seeker, or about one´s initiation, or to lecture, but about the Devil and the Devil only! An impulsive work stripped down to the very basics that maybe could have been released in the 1990s.
This technical restriction as well as a focus on the the evil force that sparked Black Metal ablaze at the beginning of the 90s also torched our work again.
Silenius is soon starting to record the vocals, and you can expect the new Abigor LP and CD after the summer makes way for the autumn´s gloom.
Here´s the first 3 - maybe not too representative, more soon to come - instrumental extracts (PLAY AT LOUD VOLUME!) to an album that will feature the following songs:

1. All Hail Darkness And Evil
2. Sword Of Silence
3. Black Icarus
4. The Cold Breath Of Satan
5. Our Lord´s Arrival - Black Death Sathanas
6. None Before Him
7. Olden Days
8. Hymn To The Flaming Void
9. Christ´s Descent Into Hell
10. Ancient Fog Of Evil
11. Metamorphosis

20431250_1693537697324484_61389650473968

That teaser sounds seriously good, and it's real nice to see Abigor somewhat return to their roots. Not as straight-forward as their first few albums and there is clearly elements of their newer albums as well, but it does have a lot of similarities with their oldies for sure. Their newer, more experimental albums have grown on me a lot over the last few years, but their first few releases are what I keep coming back to.

Verwüstung – Invoke the Dark Age, Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom), Origo Regium 1993-1994, Opus IV, Supreme Immortal Art and  are mustChanneling the Quintessence of Satan-haves for any fan of black metal. It was with Channeling the Quintessence of Satan they started to lean towards experimental black metal and avant-garde, but it is a supreme album nonetheless.

One of the most overlooked and underrated black metal bands in the entire history of its genre. Totally recommended! And if you're fan of the more experimental works of Deathspell Omega, Blut aus Nord, Dødheimsgard, Dodecahedron and so on you might enjoy their newers releases too.

Anybody into Shadow of Intent? I can't believe i only recently discovered them this year. Guys are the best thing to happen to deathcore in a while. Reclaimer has to be the best deathcore albums of 2017, and is one of my favorite metal albums of the year so far.  They're just all out brutality, with technical ability and epic compositions. Love their use of orchestrations, i.e, choirs, pianos and strings.  The vocalist has some of the sickest vocals I've heard in a while too.

Have also been jamming the new Interring. Thought these guys were dead, but so glad they're not. Love their brand of Gothenburg metal. Denmark bands always know how to bring it. 

And I've had Oceans Ate Alaska new album, Hikari, on repeat since it's release. Just a sick metalcore release with crazy rhythms, and meditative Japanese sections just because. 

Also glad to see Rings of Saturn back with a new album. The music is still sick, and I love the new orchestral elements, but the production was a letdown. It sounds so muddy, it took away from the brutality. Literally ruined the album for me. The new mastodon was great as always, and now I'm eagerly awaiting the new Thy Art is Murder.  i still need to give the new Wage War album a spin.

And they might not be super heavy, but I love Afterlife. Apparently they take influence from Linkin Park and it's somewhat apparent.  I love their weird blend of modern metal and numetal.  They really bring back that cool and fun numetal sound from the 2000's. I'd recommend their EP, Vicious Cylce,  for a fun time. 

19 hours ago, Panda_bear said:

And I've had Oceans Ate Alaska new album, Hikari, on repeat since it's release. Just a sick metalcore release with crazy rhythms, and meditative Japanese sections just because. 

It's a very good album and I was very surprised by it. Hansha is such a beautiful track 

19 hours ago, Panda_bear said:

Also glad to see Rings of Saturn back with a new album. The music is still sick, and I love the new orchestral elements, but the production was a letdown. It sounds so muddy, it took away from the brutality. Literally ruined the album for me.

I agree the production is a bit of a letdown, sadly. I like the addition of melodic elements and the RoS signature which is always pretty recognizable. Good album that could have been better but since it's RoS that's what sticks with you the most after you're finished listening the album. 

I'm also stoked for the new Thy Art album, chances are it's gonna be an absolute banger. 

a3966629700_10.jpg

The new Battle Dagorath album is an absolute masterpiece of eternal darkness. Deliciously executed ambient black metal that sometimes reminds me of the legendary Darkspace, which I absolutely adore. This album is very likely to end up on my end year list and I'm gonna be spinning it A FUCKING LOT. Instant favorite. 

Edited by Visutox

Yeah, the new Battle Dagorath is very good. But as always with this band, I wish the production was a bit rougher.They've always been a very nice mix of Paysage d'Hiver and Darkspace. Which totally works of course. But I wish it was more lo-fi sounding.

And since you brought up an album released on Avantgarde Music, let's continue that trend:

a0304460650_10.jpg

Selvans - Lupercalia

Atmospheric black/folk metal with clear influences from acts such as Negură Bunget, Nokturnal Mortum, Kampfar and such. It's keyboard-heavy and folky, but it never gets jolly and happy and all that. Released in 2015, but it's only recently I've really gotten into it. Really, really good album.

They've improved so much since their debut, which by the way is really good but unfortunately those drums just don't work for me. Their two latest outputs are god tier anyway, and I'm blown away by the new one. 

Selvans! Their new album is on my list but I never listened anything from them. Might as well start with Lupercalia and then attack their new album, seems like a good plan to me (pretty sure I'm gonna adore these guys too).

EDIT: Holy hell, Lupercalia is absolutely astonishing! What a sweet discovery, I love it. Can't wait to check out the new album. 

Still related to Avantgarde Music:

a3630902832_10.jpg

I prefer this one to their debut, a really great album from Wode although I wish it was a little bit longer. And boy, that artwork is simply just magnificent!

Edited by Visutox

You talking about Battle Dagorath, there? Never had any problem with the drums themself. Just the overall production.

Yeah, Wode is very good. Very Dissection-esque, but without actually sounding like them.

20664437_1919104978358022_32572360780834

Midnight - Sweet Death and Ecstasy

1. Crushed By Demons
2. Penetratal Ecstasy
3. Here Comes Sweet Death
4. Melting Brain
5. Rabid!
6. Bitch Mongrel
7. Poison Trash
8. Before My Time In Hell

Heeeeeel yeah! Really looking forward to this. I hope they go for a less polished sound this time around. The production of both full-lenghts ahave always bugged me a bit, while their older stuff is roduced sweetly as fuck. Complete and Total Hell is the shit!

On 7/27/2017 at 5:31 PM, Bear said:

https://wolvesinthethroneroom.bandcamp.com/

A track off the upcoming Wolves in the Throne Room album. Sounds as majestic as ever. This is gonna be good!

https://drudkh.bandcamp.com/album/somewhere-sadness-wanders

A track off the upcoming Drudkh and Paysage d'Hiver split. Sounds very good, just like the last couple of albums as well. But I bet my ass Paysage d'Hiver's side of this split will outclass Drudkh in every way possible.

And the good news doesn't stop here. Pagan Altar will release a new album soon, their first since 2006's Mythical & Magical. The band's upcoming album is titled The Room of Shadows, but was written 13 years ago under the title Never Quite Dead. One of the very best heavy metal and/or doom metal bands ever, depends on what genre you choose to put them in. They never released anything bad, and I doubt this will be anything less than amazing.

Here's a demo version recorded many a year ago with one of the tracks from the upcoming album.

I know this band, i heard some music of them before and always enjoyed some specific tune they have going.

As for the vocals, they somehow come over quite relaxing to me, enjoyable i must say.

Another Pagan Altar track: http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2017/08/07/pagan-altar-the-room-of-shadows-review-premiere/

It's Pagan Altar, so it's obviously amazing. Starts off slow with a real thick haunting atmosphere. But then the riff kicks inn and from there on it's a total banger, and the solos are of the very best quality as always. If you don't like Pagan Altar, you don't like heavy or doom metal.

On 8/9/2017 at 6:55 PM, Bear said:

Midnight - Sweet Death and Ecstasy

1. Crushed By Demons
2. Penetratal Ecstasy
3. Here Comes Sweet Death
4. Melting Brain
5. Rabid!
6. Bitch Mongrel
7. Poison Trash
8. Before My Time In Hell

Yeahhhhh boiiii excited for this one!

Well, this sure was surprising. Well, it's more black 'n' roll, but I'm surprised by how melodic it sounds. By far their best track since Now, Diabolical, and I like th emore epic, hymn-esque moments of the track. I really, really dislike The Age of Nero and Satyricon, and ain't too big of a fan of Now, Diabolical. But this was interesting. Like it. Catchy tune.

But ever since the release of Now, Diabolical I feel like Frost has been kept a fucking hostage in Satyricon. He's just doodling along to the guitars. While he didn't do much fancy work on Volcano, it still sounds like he let loose and just did whatever the fuck he wanted on the album. There was some power behind the drumming. But ever since he's seemed bored tbh.

But I can still listen to Beyond the Apocalypse, Hellfire, Rebel Extravaganza, Antichrist, Reclaim, Blood Must Be Shed and WW and enjoy his mad skills there. Holy cow this man is a beast behind the kit whenever he's actually free to let the beast loose.

Oooooh hell yeah! Last good Keep of Kalessin release too, and it's a fucking masterpiece. Best thing they ever did!

Just heard a track off the new Enslaved album and it's probably the worst I've ever heard them. It's like they wrote the song after listening to Lunar Force or Havenless on repeat for 24 hours straight. By far the worst song I've heard from them, and Grutle now sounds like a complete parody of himself.

But on the brighter side, the new Cradle of Filth album sounds promising. Aside from the phenomenal idea of releasing the original Dusk... and her Embrace, getting rid of Paul Allender, James McIlroy Dave Pybus and Charles Hedger and getting Ashok (ex-Root), Rich Shaw, Daniel Firth and Lindsay Schoolcraft have done this band wonders. More varied and unpredictable riffing, longer songs with more unorthodox song structures and a different approach with the keyboard and choirs have really done the difference.

It doesn't sound like it'll match Hammer of the Witches, but it soudns very good nonetheless.

The new Satyricon sounds so good! 

I liked the new song from Enslaved, what I don't get is the reason of dropping the longest track off the new album as a single. I'm not too much into Enslaved anyway but their two first albums are timeless imo, absolutely stellar. I think I'm gonna enjoy this new album!

Btw I'm not into Cradle of Filth either but that new song they dropped is surprisingly good, I like it a lot. I haven't listened much from the band anyway but this one could be my starting point, maybe. 

Septicflesh also dropped another single off their new album and hell, it sounds so good and the orchestral parts are so epic! Can't wait for Codex Omega to drop. 

As far as Enslaved goes, I'd actually go as far as to say that their debut EP and four fitst albums are timeless classics, and Mardraum: Beyond the Within, Monumension and Below the Lights being great too. Every release is so different from the previous, yet so familiar in many ways. Then they decided they wanted to be the Pink Floyd of black metal and went to shit.

And as far as Cradle of Filth goes, you should most certain give The Principle of Evil Made Flesh, V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein, Dusk and Her Embrace, Dusk... and Her Embrace - The Original Sin, Cruelty and the Beast, Midian, Damnation and a Day and Hammer of the Witches a fair chance. These are all fantastic, with the 5 first being proper black metal classics. Original, unique and fantastic!

And not to sound negative, but I don't get what's so great about newer Septicflesh. Nowadays the band sounds like a pseudo-death metal band who think their sound is flat and boring and add some symphonic parts to it all to add some depth, bot the problem is the riffs are godfuckingawful and the symphonic parts adds nothing to the music. Doesn't fit in at all and doesn't add anything to the music.

Of all the classic Hellenic black/death metal bands  out there, this is that one who's fucked up the worst. I'm not a big fan of Revolution DNA or Sumerian Daemons, in fact I despise both albums. But I respect them. They're unique, they're fresh and tey're original and they got plenty soul. Their newer stuff are among the most soulless metal albums I've ever heard. Also had the displeasure to see them live back in 2015 or something. One of the worst gigs ever. Even a 1/10 would sound positive comared to what it was like. Worst shit ever.

Spinning Nemesis Divina from Satyricon right now, I had forgotten how fucking great that album is!! 

I'm into an Enslaved marathon right now (well, sort of actually) and I'm slowly but surely discovering some great albums. Thus far I've listened three albums from their prog era, namely Vertebrae (which is good but also kind of meh), RIITIIR (astonishing imo) and their latest released album which is also very good imo. 

As for Cradle of Filth, I made sure to take note of your recommendations. Will start a CoF marathon pretty soon as well so that's a nice timing, mate. 

I personally happen to enjoy everything since Communion, with a preference for that one over the rest since their come-back. It seems to me that they know pretty well how to fuck with the symphonic/orchestral parts and I don't think it's pointless. It adds up so much to the music but then again I just think you've got to like it. 

„And in the glade a light was seen ...“
The past years have been a time of troubles, setbacks, disputes – and of resulting frustration.
And then, the summonings faded and silence arose ...
Yet, it hasn´t been the end that was dawning.
But in the ashes still a dim light was gleaming. The dying embers were set ablaze by ongoing dedication and new inspiration.
And from the ashes fire was flaring to heat the forges again ...
SUMMONING have returned from the dead and a new album will be released in january 2018!

Best news since forever. One of the best and most consistent black metal bands out there if you ask me. I always know that when Summoning releases something I'll be more than pleased. And the teaser sounds super promising.

Lugburz 7/10

Minas Morgul 9/10

Dol Guldur 10/10

Nightshade Forests 10/10

Stronghold 10/10

Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame 8/10

Lost Tales 7/10

Oath Bound 10/10

Old Mornings Dawn 10/10

Fun fact: the two members of Summoning does not rehears anything before recording, and their guitarist, Protector, does not own a guitar. He just borrows one for each recording process.

Edited by Bear