The general Metal discussion thread

The new Neige Et Noirceur album is really fantastic! Only a single spin so far but the album gave me a significant first impression. So dark and cold, and the vocals are just brilliant. I love it. 

New Cannabis Corpse album "Left Hand Pass" coming out on September 8! Can't wait, these guys are always awesome (as well as hilarious in the song title department xD). I mean, check out this dank tracklist, lol.

01. The 420th Crusade
02. In Dank Purity
03. Final Exhalation
04. Chronic Breed
05. In Battle There Is No Pot
06. Grass Obliteration
07. Left Hand Pass
08. Effigy Of The Forgetful
09. Papyrus Containing The Spell To Protect Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In the Bong Water
10. The Fiends That Come To Steal The Weed Of The Deceased

...and the new song, which is pretty solid.

Edited by Jigsaw9

^ I love how they basically built a 'brand' on lame weed jokes inserted into classic death metal album/song titles (there's many to choose from XD) and technically quite proficient playing / songwriting. :D I mean I'd still listen to them without the lulz, they're pretty cool.

In other br00tal news, looks like a new Aborted EP is being released a  week from now and I'm totally on board with this!

Does anyone else here like Eluveitie? They're a folk metal/melodeath band from Switzerland and honestly one of my favorites. They'll be releasing a new album "Evocation II – Pantheon" in August and I'm super excited for it~ They've already pre-released one song "Epona" from the album as a single, and I've been listening to it pretty much nonstop (I would've linked a youtube vid of it here but they all seem to have been taken down already so instead I guess I'll just link another one of my fave songs from them in case someone's interested lol)

These crazy japanese guys are finally releasing their debut album. Motorhead +Inepsy + GISM + Sabbat + Syphilitic Vaginas + Black Uniforms kinda gives away how they sound.

It's not been a brilliant year for thrash metal, but there's been some good releases if you ask me. Not all these are pure thrash, but I'd recommend checking 'em out anyway:

Obscure Evil - Void Fumes

Black/thrash metal in the vein of the 80's. Heavily inspired by the likes of Bathory, Venom, Slayer, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer Bulldozer, Sarcofago and so on.

Vulture - The Guillotine

A speed/thrash metal assault out of the ordinary. Think old Razor, Exciter, Whiplash, Ranger and more. Superb stuff!

Couldn't find a track from the new album, but the demo is amazing too.

Craven Idol - The Shackles of Mammon

Semi-epic black thrash with a lot of Deströyer 666, Scythian and Desaster influences. Very good stuff!

Droid - Terrestrial Mutations

Progressive speed/thrash heavily influenced by Voivod, Coroner, Vektor,Megadeth and stuff. Imagine if Megadeth anno 1985 were inspired by Voivod and Coroner instead of Metallica.

Vampire - With Primeval Force

The new Vampire album is a semi-epic death/thrash album with a heavy Castlevanian atmosphere. Castlevanian death/thrash! Inspired by the Castlevania games and soundtracks, as well as 60's gothic horror films, because this is death/thrash with a heavy gothic atmosphere.

Condor - Unstoppable Power

More black/thrash, but this time from a young bunch of norwegians. Think Deathhammer and Aura Noir.

Insane - Evil

A pure 80's inspired thrash metal assault, but with their own twist. They got something of their own going on.

Destructor - Decibel Casualties

It's been 32 years since their debut album, but these crazy power thrashing maniacs still know how to riff and write music.

Antichrist - Sinful Birth

I was never too impressed by their debut album, but this assault of an album is amazing. Just think the 80's. Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Exodus and you'll get the basic idea. Good shit!

Municipal Waste - Slime and Punishment

Far from their best, but this is probably their best album since Hazardous Mutation. Fairly typical party crossover/thrash, but it works.

Funeral Nation - Funeral Nation

I did not have high expectations for this death thrashing release, but this sounds awesome and old school. Think Master, Funeral Bitch, , Abomination, Death Strike, Possessed and son on. This caught me by surprise!

And an album I've only heard some songs off, but which sounds great:

Evil - Rites of Evil

I haven't heard this entire album, but their demos and splits, as well as the three songs released from this album is great. Think Sabbat, Bathory, Sarcofago, Vulcano, Bulldozer, Tormentor, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction and so on. 80's black/thrash all the way.

Yeah this year has been really meh, Terrifier and Extravasion will definitely get a spot in my end-year list, as things stand by now.

Checking out the new Condor album as we speak, and still curious about Droid and Municipal Waste. Also need to give both Vampire and Craven Idol a second chance, couldn't dig them during my first listening session. 

Till Fjalls del 2 sounds great after one listen. It kinda continues where Naturbål left off, but with less progressive vibes and more folk. Which is what I'd consider a natural evolution as this is a part 2 of their debut album. But this is a colder record, atmosphere-vise. The riffing is more focused around black and mid 90's folk metal, the melodies are superb and the choruses are amazing throughout the entire album. Catchy hooks! Just check the chorus on Vinterstorm. Holy fuck!

It sounds familiar, but fresh. Just like I expected and wished for. Vocal-vise Vintersorg delivered his best performance since Ödemarkens son with Naturbål, but I'd say he's even more on point this time, especially with his clean vocals. I also think the production sounds better and more fitting now, than what I did with the two preview tracks.

The Till fjälls part of Fjällets mäktiga mur gives me the chills. Every single time! What a chorus. Like a blast from the past. Love it!

I mörker står fjällets mäktiga mur
Där stormar sjunger i vresighet, Till fjälls, till fjälls

5 hours ago, Bear said:

I think you should give all the bands/albums I posted a fair chance. It's quality stuff. At least if you like thrash mixed with other genres.

The rest of the non-mentioned albums are on my list, so I'm gonna end up checking 'em out real soon! 

It's really a pity that I can't find a way to stream Droid's album though, nor find a download link. Because it seems like a real solid release... Guess I'm gonna have to wait -or eventually buy it, lol.

Anyway, Condor was really good. Checking out Destructor next! 

I haven't heard all the albums, and not all seems to be out on the web yet. But there's some songs posted and shit and if I've included them in the post, it means they sound great.

You should check out Maximum Destruction by Destructor too. Total cult!

I totally recommend Sekkusu for fans of Japanese metal punk. This is a mix of thrash metal and hardcore punk and is obviously influenced by stuff like G.I.S.M., Gauze, Death Side, Gudon, Outo, Zouo and more. They sound Japanese as fuck, and they've managed to really catch that vibe of their cover art too. Neat shit!

https://sekkusustreetsteel.bandcamp.com/album/fukk-on-loud-night-2

^ Sounds fun, thanks for the recommendation! :D

In other news, I'm finally listening to the new Dying Fetus album and it is awesome! Might have to go to their gig in October... even more so that they're playing alongside Psycroptic and Beyond Creation.

Edited by Jigsaw9

Aldrahn's new project called Urarv have an album that is set to be released on the 22nd of September, titled Aurum.

Yes! This sounds absolutely epic, as great as Dødheimsgard sounds. Can't wait to check out the whole thing, this release might actually make my entire year. 

Edited by Visutox

Yes, Urarv sounds amazing. Really looking forward to the album too.

I spoke about metal punk a few posts above this, and I'll continue that:

Japanese thrash/heavy metal punkers G.A.T.E.S. are finally releasing their debut album, 18 years after their formation. G.A.T.E.S. are Yoshiaki Negishi (ex-Church of Misery) on vocals, Tatsu Mikami (Church of Misery, Sonic Flower) on bass, Shinji "Samm" Tachi (ex-Sabbat, ex-Metalucifer, Magnesium) on drums and some unknown guy called Masayasu Futatsugi on guitars. In other words, these guys have experience and they're familiar with creating music of the highest quality.

So far they have a bunch of split releases with bands such as Metal Skull, Disclose, Blüdwülf, Burning Leather and Children of Technology, as well as a few demos, EPs and singles. Can you imagine Motorhead, G.I.S.M., Black Uniforms and Inepsy having a baby? I can, and I know exactly what it sounds like as I am already familiar with G.A.T.E.S. If you're not, check out their EP Devastation from 2008:

Obscure Burial is about to release their debut album and this song sounds, as expected I would say, amazing. Total Necrovore- and Incubus-worship. Sounds grim and great!

Anyone else had the chance to enjoy Vintersorg's new album yet? I called Naturbål a masterpiece and a return to form, but this album juat continues his good trend in recent years. Another step up from the previous album. Pure fucking magick!

Went to Rock Harz Festival this weekend and had a blast, so many good shows. My highlights were Blind Guardian, Death Angel, Dark Tranquillity, Eluveitie and Iced Earth. Pretty sad that I couldn't see Alcest, but the Blind Guardian special show made up for it - they played "Imaginations From the Other Side" (which is my favourite album of theirs) in its entirety and it was nothing short of amazing, props to Hansi for going for some of those high notes again!

In process of transferring all my affairs into my laptop, so I'm starting fresh with the music collection as well and I've had the urge for the past two or three months to revisit the DSBM boom that came and went. Post faves