The general Metal discussion thread

I know it sucks to go early to festivals, but you'll not be disappointed. I posted some live videos and shit a few pages back. Amazing band and they look and sound fantastic live. They truly offer something different live, and their type of different also happens to be pure magic.

11 hours ago, Bear said:

Saudi-Arabian Al-Namrood just dropped a new album too. I've never been into the few albums I've heard, but there's always been something about the band that catches my interest over and over again. Want to like them tbh. Middle-eastern folk/black metal. Should be my cup of tea, so I don't know why it's not working for me. But I'll give them a new chance with this new album, and check out their older stuff while I am at it.

Had to turn this off after 3 songs. The vocals. Jesus christ. Godawful!

50 minutes ago, Bear said:

Had to turn this off after 3 songs. The vocals. Jesus christ. Godawful!

Are they any different than in the previous album(s)? I'm being skeptical because of you, now. 

Tourism at home: Disposable goes to Hyvinkää. 

First and foremost I am upset that I paid 21.80 euros for the train tickets and saw not a single ticket inspector neither to or from Hyvinkää. It's common to not see a single one in Helsinki, but I didn't realise that even when you're going out of the way that there's still nobody there. I could have bought twice more muikku ( a top 3 finnish food no doubt. )

I make my way there at about to the "city" at around 18-19 and check out the sights, have a few beers at the park and enjoy the unsightly hot weather for once. The town landmark is the church designed by Aarno Ruusuvuori that I went to take pictures off immediately. Unfortunately you couldn't get inside past 16, but I met a nice lady outside who took a picture of me in front of the entrance and we had a good chat about the architect, the town itself and how nice it is to have festivals like that in other places than the big cities. You know it's  Finland when even the older folk are so desensitised to metal culture that they don't even bring it up. In eastern countries you can get around for months and not see a single metalhead, while in Helsinki I average seeing one on every street I go to that has people. That's pretty incredible when you think about it.

I get into the festival area right when Firespawn started playing. Here are the cliffs of the four bands I "saw" 

Firespawn: Shit sux. I just checked that apparently there's some entombed crew on this, and honestly I don't know what that means anymore as I haven't kept up with them past the first album, but nonetheless it was so boring, like bounce faux old school death metal. Between the songs you heard gems like "AND THIS NEXT ONE IS CALLED..:" to be followed by a riff that sounded like something off Morbid Angel's HIV+ album Domination. 

NIghtbringer: I left Firespawn after three songs to charge my phone. Before the concert I met some nice Americans who had seen this band a bunch of times, and somehow that convinced me that I'd probably be able to dig it. NO SUCH LUCK was tremendously bored during this one. I took a 15 second video clip that's like new housing architecture: it has nothing distinct about it, and could be any band from any country. Maybe it's massive and immersive if you can still fuck with this style, I could not. 

Marduk: This was touted as a 20th anniversary Heaven Shall Burn set. You know you are hearing 90's riffs again cause you can memorise them quickly and find them very pleasant to ear. Live it was palatable, but nonetheless I think this is like the textbook definition of norsecore? I don't fuck with this album (or this band for that matter) on record at all, but they were rock 'n roll professionals with Wacken tier MC's and everything ( STEELFEST HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU GUIZE DOING!!?!?!? MAKE SOME NOISE" ) so I can't say it was like the last two bands I saw. Good for sitting on a picnic table, drinking beer and tindering. 

Peste Noire: FUCK. First of all you can tell the mood as definitely changed from all the Wacken businessmen and mystical judeo-cristian tremolo metal; the foreign fan contingency was strong, roman salutes and sieg heils resounded and before the first song ended I had counted four fights right in my vicinity, and by the end I had lost count. The danger was brought back to black metal! I definitely had a good time oogling at all the French and Russian alt-right haircut types in the audience and their implementation of a zero tolerance policy towards Finnish drunks. 

The band was everything I hoped for. Famine is such a character outside of the stage so it figures that he feels large on stage as well ( literally as well since he appears to have been lifting. ) It more like a punk show in a way, especially when that guy from Baise ma hache came on stage for a couple of songs. Fucking Peste Noire really is just wonderfully unique and intense music that's very participatory at the same time, especially if can actually speak French. I just tried to do my best Famine impression and shriek something unintelligible. I'm really a fan of a show like this that maintain a grave severity and some bloody dignity without being stiff: no stupid mc's, no gimmicks, just black metal terror. 

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/peste-noire/2016/salle-des-fetes-de-st-martin-theressus-saint-martin-terressus-france-3bfadc44.html this is pretty much the set, although some things I believe were in a different order and no encore. The Chevrotine cover was so good that I'm probably going to get that album later. Absolutely a fantastic show 'cause I know and greatly enjoy every song of theirs. Famine is a legend.

After the festival I met a band member from an unnamed Finnish band with whom I chatted a little bit, and watched as him sieg heiling his friends as they came out of the festival area. FINNNNNLAAAAAND

Nice, sounds neat!

I do think you should fuck with Marduk, tho. I'm not a fan of everything, and especially not Panzer Division Marduk. But Rom 5:12 is a proper masterpiece and the album that got me into Marduk and made me appreciate their older stuff too. The album changed how I saw and heard Marduk. Rom 5:12, Opus Nocturne and Frontschwein are highly recommended.

Just listen to this beast of a song!

I believe jigsaw is a fan of that album as well haha. That was actually the first Marduk album I ever tried, but I was like 15 back then so almost 10 years ago jeez. I do like that super secret band Mortuus is alledgedly on, Sigrblot 

My man Disposable mentioned norsecore in one of his previous psots. For those who don't know, norsecore is a term aplied to black metal bands that is play constant very fast blastbeats and tremolo riffing with a professional and modern production.  The term norsecore was once used as a derogatory term about Swedish bands, but I don't believe it is anymore.

Some examples of bands and albums:

Marduk - Panzer Division Marduk

Marduk - Nightwing

Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn

The Abyss - Summon the Beast

Dark Funeral - Vobiscum Satanas

Dark Funeral - Diabolis Interium

Setherial - Nord...

Niden Div. 187 - Impergium

In Battle - Rage of the Norsemen

Just a few examples, there's more bands that fits the bill, also from outside of sweden even though it's mainly a term for swedish bands.

This isn't my favourite type of black metal at all, even though I like all the albums mentioned (-Panzer Division Marduk) quite well. But there's two albums that sticks out from all the bands considered norsecore, and that is Setherial's "Nord..." and Dark Funeral's "Vobiscum Satanas".

Setherial - Nord...

This album is brutal as fuck, but it's still melodic, epic and rich on fantastic atmosphere. While Setherial is usually considered a third-rate black metal band, this album sticks out and can be mentioned among the first-rated black metal albums out there.

And if you like "Nord...", be sure to check out Japan's Avsolutized... with one of the guys from Arkha Sva and Ahpdegma. The albums is only 31 minutes long, but if you check out the compilation Mot din svarta ångest you'll be in a for a real treat. 50 minutes of Setherial's Nord...-esque black metal. This is a complete and utte homage to Setherial and even feature a cover of Setherial's My Veins Are Open, but Avsolutized... actually does this track better than Setherial themself. Ur Èmdr Oervn of Arkha Sva is known for his unique vocal approach, and he brings that style into Avsolutized... as well.

Dark Funeral - Vobiscum Satanas

I'm not sure if I consider this album better than their selftitled EP or The Secrets of the Black Arts, but it is as good, that is for sure. It's faster and more brutal than their previous albums, but it does maintain the melodic style from The Secrets of the Black Arts and contains great atmosphere throughout. Alzazmon (Tomas Asklund) is probably best known for his simple drumming on Dissection's "Reinkaos" or his godawful drum sound AND production on Gorgoroth'Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt, Under the Sign of Hell 2011 and Instinctus Bestialis. But on Vobiscum Satanas, his only album with Dark Funeral, he nails the drum sound and his drumming is immense. His drumming is a real pleasure on this album, if you don't mind blasting that is.

Edited by Bear

This album still gets me rock hard. The guy Peet, who made it, is a bit of a lovable dick hipster, and only makes crappy electronic stuff now that he grew up out of his emo sceney weeeny life, but at least we got this out of him.
nintendo-core: 

The only "nintendocore" (what a fucking lame term) band that matters is Horse the Band. The only modern metalcore band that doesn't suck donkeyass and horse cocks. Superb liveband too.

Two random vids from yesterday's Absu show. One of the best and most entertaining metal gigs I've been to this year, for sure!

Proscriptor McGovern is God! Watching him play some of the tracks off Tara live while doing the vocals is absolutely insane. The speed, technicality and complex fills of the drums itself is impressive and mindblowing, but watching him do it live while screaming his guts off. Unbelieveable!

A band that deserves to have a much bigger name. Everything up until Tara, from the epic sounding death metal of their early demos, EPs and Barathrum: V.I.T.R.I.O.L., to the black metal of The Sun of Tiphareth and black/thrash metal of The Third Storm of Cythraul and Tara are must-haves IMO. Classics, everything!

Kinda fell off the Absu-wagon after Tara and don't like either of their two last albums, but it's a band I'll always give a new chance when they release something new, and when I do that I also give their previous efforts that I don't like a new try.

New Morbid Angel song.

I hate hyping shit up but this honestly sounds quite good, let's see if the album fulfills its promises. 

I know there's a few fans of Fen her, so this should please a couple of you guys:

Fellwarden was a concept forged by The Watcher (Fen, De Arma) back in 2014 to give voice to an epic, exultant form of black metal that nonetheless carries with it echoes of deep lamentation and remembrance. The Watcher’s goal was simple – to tell tales of sacrifice, of long-forgotten heroism and the rearing timelessness of the storm-forged landscape against a backdrop of windswept extreme metal. Fellwarden’s sound is steeped passionate vocals, subtle waves of keyboards, acoustic guitars, booming choirs and powerful riffs, underpinned by a cavernous percussive battery courtesy of Havenless (also of Fen).

After two years of careful crafting, the debut album of Fellwarden ‘Oathbearer’ is now ready to be proudly unleashed by Eisenwald – six stirring hymns of strident ambience and powerfully emotive songwriting. A heavily layered, textured release, ‘Oathbearer’ at once convokes the essence of contemporary acts such as Drudkh and Negura Bunget whilst simultaneously channelling the spirit of the old masters – Summoning, Bathory, Abigor, (early) Emperor and (early) Ulver.

releases June 16, 2017

The Watcher – All vocals, stringed instruments and keys
Havenless – Drums

First song, preorder and the awesome artwork available here:

https://fellwarden.bandcamp.com/

It's very Fen-esque and reminds me a lot of Fen's debut, though with a bit more traditional atmospheric black metal and less post-rock. I really like this song. Sounds really nice!

Really digging the song, can't wait. Also loving the album cover, another beauty artwork for 2017 and still going. 

0:00 Guitarist stumbles

0:55 Hellish chanting

3:10 What is the next song?

4:10 How to drink beer

5:51 How to drink beer part 2

8:04 Guitarist goes "crowd surfing"

9:34 "Vittu me vihataan punkkia!"

10:18 "Mennäänkö kattoo jotai oikeeta bändiä?"

This fucking band, man. Hilarious! They don't give a flying fuck and they do whatever the fuck they want. They might be the winners of the black metal paraolympics.

Gotta admit that I like the The Night of Satanachia ep, tho. It's pretty good.

The crowdsurfing is my favorite. 

In fact the unnamed band to which I referred to earlier in the gig report was in fact Azazel. He was the drummer and he was quite upset with the guitarist, who apparently carried much of the blame for this one. He, along with the rest of the band, had been thrown out a long time ago and he was waiting for a ride and outside. I feel lucky and privileged to have had the experience of meeting him.

I just finished reading "Pirunkehto: Suomalaisen black metallin tarina." The book chronicles the Finnish black metal scene from its inception to present day in form of band histories and interviews, which are very good. It is going to come out in English this summer and definitely worth the money if you're interested. About 500 pages, 50 of which is dedicated to Nuclear Holocausto Vengeance who is definitely the mvp of the the book and the whole Finnish scene in general. Some really shitty D-tier bands in the last few pages tho

Anyone familiar with Au-Dessus? Just discovered these guys and really digging their stuff so far, their first album is available for free on Bandcamp! Sounds like a mix between Sludge and Black Metal with surprisingly strong vocals, intense stuff.

7 hours ago, Kaleidoscope said:

Anyone familiar with Au-Dessus? Just discovered these guys and really digging their stuff so far, their first album is available for free on Bandcamp! Sounds like a mix between Sludge and Black Metal with surprisingly strong vocals, intense stuff.

Yep! Their new album is so great, I'm giving it time to let it grow on me but it is a clear AotY contender. Was a pleasant surprise knowing that their self-titled debut didn't manage to hit me like End of Chapter did. Wouldn't be surprised to see it making it lots of end-year lists. 

Edited by Visutox

On 27.4.2017 at 6:29 AM, Bear said:

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a3717505328_10.jpg[/img]

I'm not a fan of teasers like this, but this sounds promising. Emyn Muil plays epic black metal in the vein of Summoning, Caladan Brood, Kinstrife & Blood and Nazgûl, which tells you all about the sound of the band. Also heavily inspired by Tolkien of course.

Emyn Muil's debut Túrin Turambar Dagnir Glaurunga isn't all that to be honest. There's a shitload of good music on the album, but a lot of the songs are way too short. When you play black metal like this you need some lenght on your songs to be able to build the songs properly. The longer tracks (6+ minutes) are very good, but the shorter tracks leaves something to be desired for sure. 10 tracks, 52 minutes.

The upcoming album Elenion Ancalima have 5 songs clocking in at 41 minutes. 3, 14, 7, 8 and 8 minutes. So the track lenghts are there for sure, and from the teaser the songs are there too. Sounds more Summoning-esque than the debut too, which I will always consider a good thing. I am really looking forward to this album.

Hell fucking yes! This album is so good. It's got its fair shair of Summoning influence, but it has more of a medieval sound to it, making it stand out from other epic black metal bands in this vein. Totally recommended if you're into Summoning, Kinstrife & Blood, Caladan Brood and so on.

Will have to give it more time, but this sounds truly excellent so far.

8 hours ago, Bear said:

Hell fucking yes! This album is so good. It's got its fair shair of Summoning influence, but it has more of a medieval sound to it, making it stand out from other epic black metal bands in this vein. Totally recommended if you're into Summoning, Kinstrife & Blood, Caladan Brood and so on.

I second this! 

The Lay of Númenorë is easily one of the most epic songs I've ever listened to in the genre, it doesn't get better than that. Really is the highlight of the album imo. And I agree about the medieval sound the album has, which indeed allows the band to produce something somewhat unique and refreshing. Definitely a great release!

Edited by Visutox

I'm not a big of these christian fucks, but their earlier stuff (two first albums) are very good and this song is one of the best heavy metal songs ever. The lyrics are absolute dogshit though, and I am glad I can see past them. If not, I would not be able to enjoy this masterpiece.

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/0010329347_10.jpg

The cover art for Devil Electric's debut album, Devil Electric, sure got me interested. The cover is just stunning. Reminds me quite abit about some of the older Uncle Acid pictures. Not heard the band yet, but I read that they're somewhat a mix of Coven, Electric Wizard, Black Sabbath, Lucifer, Pentagram and such. Will give it a spin later on if it's out yet.