The general Metal discussion thread

^ Thanks for the update on this! I've been checking on Vintersorg here and there to see the progress on this and I'm happy to see that Till Fjälls pt II is complete!! I'm more interested in the Vargatron classics, so I'll definitely be buying this!!

Odemarkens Son is also gonna be available on vinyl *_* I may have to get that too since I happen to have a record player...

Edited by sheepprincessgara

5767.jpg

Vampire - With Primeval Force

With Primeval Force sees Vampire return to form, and they've managed to renew themself quite a bit. It's raw, it's epic and it's melodic, and it balances these elements really nicely throughout the album. I'd wish for a rawer production, but it works really well. It doesn't sound nearly as soulless or flat as their debut album.

Btw, there is a certain Castlevania feeling throughout this album. At least I think so.

18119099_1286305398125961_41535505311596

Droid - Terrestrial Mutations

I recommended this band some pages back when I was speaking of Vektor, and Droid are finally releasing their debut album. Not as agressive as Vektor, but they still have a certain Vektor-esque feeling to them. But they're more speed metal-oriented, and they actually sound a bit like Voivod too, unlike Vektor.

Beautiful cover art! Looks awesome.

My first impression of With Primeval Force is meh, pretty good but I need to give it more time maybe. The cover art is mind blowing though, absolutely stunning work! 

5 hours ago, Bear said:

18119099_1286305398125961_41535505311596

Droid - Terrestrial Mutations

The embedded track sounds really good, will definitely keep an eye on these guys and I'm looking forward to check out this album. And yeah, beautiful cover art.

2 hours ago, MaikoMizu said:

Any A7X, FFDP or I See Stars fans?

Used to listen a lot to FFDP and I See Stars (more the first than the second) but I can't stand them now. A7X's latest album is truly great though, I keep coming back to it every once in a while and I really dig it. Btw, I really didn't like it the first time I gave it a go, but then it kept growing on me till I ended up enjoying it as I do now. 

I'm not a fan of teasers like this, but this sounds promising. Emyn Muil plays epic black metal in the vein of Summoning, Caladan Brood, Kinstrife & Blood and Nazgûl, which tells you all about the sound of the band. Also heavily inspired by Tolkien of course.

Emyn Muil's debut Túrin Turambar Dagnir Glaurunga isn't all that to be honest. There's a shitload of good music on the album, but a lot of the songs are way too short. When you play black metal like this you need some lenght on your songs to be able to build the songs properly. The longer tracks (6+ minutes) are very good, but the shorter tracks leaves something to be desired for sure. 10 tracks, 52 minutes.

The upcoming album Elenion Ancalima have 5 songs clocking in at 41 minutes. 3, 14, 7, 8 and 8 minutes. So the track lenghts are there for sure, and from the teaser the songs are there too. Sounds more Summoning-esque than the debut too, which I will always consider a good thing. I am really looking forward to this album.

Shiiiit finally something new from these guys!! That's really some amazing news to wake up to. And I agree about their debut, feels somewhat short but that doesn't bother me personally. I enjoy as it is. 

And damn that teaser sounds really good, I'm truly looking forward to listen the whole thing because I'm confident this will be as solid as their debut (if not better). Also loving the artworks, look kind of minimalistic and that's pretty cool (like the one of their debut, which I prefer by the way). 

Now because of this I'll be spinning their debut like there's no tomorrow. It was about fucking time I'd be getting back to it. Yasss!

maldoror.png

Alright guys, as expected Schammasch announced a new EP to come out on the 9th of June.

I'm quoting their post on Facebook: 

With last year's release of Triangle the numerological trilogy I - II - III has been closed. Different territories are about to be explored in the future, beginning with the first work of a series of records entitled "The Maldoror Chants". As the title clearly tells, the concept of those records is based on the grand novel "Les Chants de Maldoror", one of surrealism's dire fathers and up to this day one of the biggest literary mysteries and outgrowths. Having been an inspiration to Schammasch ever since Contradiction, the times have come to give this inspiration the room it deserves. Each record will follow one specific moment of the book, the first one being "Hermaphrodite", a short story which appears aside the main story line in the book's first half.

From a musical point of view these records are to be seen as an artistic experiment, apparently deriving from a different place than what we've done so far. Focus lies on telling instead of singing, atmosphere instead of technique, flow instead of structure. Don't expect anything but explore everything.

"The Maldoror Chants: Hermaphrodite" will be released on the 9th of June, available in various pre-sale formats over our web store: http://schammasch.com/store/

I just love how these guys keep experimenting and getting better with time, they're certainly one of my favorite bands and among the best in the extreme metal in the last years scene. I'm really curious on how the new EP will sound, the description of it is very interesting. My expectations for this new release can't be any higher, it's Schammasch after all.

Triangle was, for me, the greatest thing I've listened in 2016 and this 30 seconds preview pisses me off because it sounds so fucking promising. 

I think you get it now: I'm. So. Fucking. Stoked. 

Edited by Visutox

The clean vocals is way too low in the mix, but musically this sounds great. It's not a new Til Fjälls, but it sure does sound like Vintersorg, and when I say that I mean the folky era of the band.  And it sounds really fucking nice, despite being a bit overproduced. But you know, this is how I want my Vintersorg and I really fucking like it. Give me the entire album, fuckers!

Speaking of Schammasch (I am beyond excited for the new release already), these Canadians apparantly somewhat play in the same vein as they do and lie somewhere between the aforementioned's sound and Batushka's. Definitely something to look forward to, I love ritualistic / ascension- themed black metal.

I would assume that no one gives a fuck about a band like Old Season, but I'll just leave it here anyway:

17951589_1244144929038883_68006112185018

Old Season - Beyond the Black

It's been no less than 8 years since their last release, but Old Season finally returns and I just can't wait for this. Their debut, Archaic Creation, is fantastic so I got high expectations to this. Sound-wise they play a mix of epic heavy metal and doom metal. They basically sound like the love child of newer Primordial and Doomsword.

Holy fucking fuckity fuck! Most people, me included, thought Syphilitic Vaginas disbanded back in 2012-13, a couple of years after the release of the masterpiece that is Alpha Antichrist, but out of nowhere is an album called Death Freak added to metal-archives, as well as a new single called O.D.C. Agitator and a Complete Studio Collection II which seems to include the majority of the releases between 2011-2014, including Death Freak. That is fucking sick! One of my favourite bands, these unique, blackened speed punkers just can't seem to do no wrong, and their newest album Death Freak sounds crazy good.

https://syphiliticvaginas.bandcamp.com/album/complete-studio-collection-ii

646687.jpg?2333

646689.jpg?1832

This sure made me happy.

Agatus-eternalist-cover.jpg

I can not believe how this album has gone underneath everyones radar. An absolute masterpiece, and probably one of the very best heavy metal albums I've heard. This album sounds like it was made by a proper heavy metal band that's mainly inspired by the ancient greek black metal scene (old Rotting Christ, Varathron, Necromantia, Agatus(!!!), Kawir and more) as well as 70's progressive rock. There's something familiar about the music, yet it's so unique and fresh, completely different from everything you've ever heard.

The "they come from the skies/they live to die/children became Kings/kings became gods/gods were worshiped and immortalized by man" part is just one of the best things ever. So fucking majestic!

Der%20Weg%20Einer%20Freiheit%20HU.jpg

New Der Weg einer Freiheit album coming up this summer! Can't wait, Stellar was really amazing. One of the finest black metal acts out there. 

Album's titled "Finisterre".

By the way, checked out the new Nokturnal Mortum album yesterday and I was blown away. I adore it. 

Edited by Visutox

Opportunity to see Peste Noire this weekend

Problem: I'm going to have to take a train to another city and then the last one leaves when they close the festival area, and then when I'd make it back at 3am I'd have to walk from the central railway station to my place because the trains don't run and the night busses cost an arm and a leg. 

AIKATAULUT_483x.png

I'd go there late enough to just catch the last three probably. Really a big fan of Peste Noire and I'd get the ticket for free ( tho 20 euros for train and another 20 for getting drunk ) but taking the ghetto train back and walking like 30 minutes when I just want to sleep fsgdfgdhfdgh

Mgla is worth the price and trouble alone, and Zuriaake should be worth it as well. Looks like an amazing live band, and it's probably not too often you'll get the chance this brilliant band live.

On 19.2.2017 at 10:08 AM, Bear said:

Some interesting news form the world of metal:

Black thrash metallers Craven Idol have a new album coming out soon called The Shackles of Mammon, their first release since 2013's Towards Eschaton. Black/thrash in the vein of Destroyer 666, Scythian and mid-era Absu. Furious and black, but at the same time epic. Their debut album is great and I am really looking forward to this. Can't find anything off their new album, but this will give you a decent impression of what these guys are all about:

This album sounds real neat. Less agressive than the debut, but it sounds really cool. Very epic and Destroyer 666-esque black/thrash metal.

The new Dødsengel leaked. Will give the album some spins later today. Excited!

Saudi-Arabian Al-Namrood just dropped a new album too. I've never been into the few albums I've heard, but there's always been something about the band that catches my interest over and over again. Want to like them tbh. Middle-eastern folk/black metal. Should be my cup of tea, so I don't know why it's not working for me. But I'll give them a new chance with this new album, and check out their older stuff while I am at it.

4 minutes ago, Bear said:

Do us all a favor and see Zuriaake. Just do it!

One is forbidden to leave the festival area so it's very unlike that I'll head over there so early. Either way I'll try to keep up the thread tradition and write a reportage of the events that transpire!