The general Metal discussion thread

6 hours ago, Visutox said:

It really does. Never bothered to dig into Nokturnal Mortum's huge discography but now that they're releasing a new album I might as well do. But before that, I still have to check out some Zuriaake.

That is shocking, because Nokturnal Mortum has released a bunch of classic and brilliant albums. I like their entire discography, but Twilightfall, Lunar Poetry, Return of the Vampire Lord, Goat Horns, To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire and Nechrist are releases that I believe should be a part of any black metal fan's collection, with To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire and Nechrist being my favourites. To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire are one of the top 10 symphonic black metal albums ever and Nechrist are one of the 10 best folk black metal releases ever (althought it could be called symphonic black metal as well). What really makes these stand out are how agressive and brutal they are compared to most other albums in a similar style.

Actually I had planned to check out Lunar Poetry since it's the one that people use to mention a lot statistically, so I'm listening the album as we speak. Will make sure to check out the essentials you mentioned too.

11 hours ago, Hakari said:

These guys are solid. Having a dedicated bassist really stands out. Will hopefully be able to pick up this album 

It really does! What're your thoughts on the latest album?

Lunar Poetry is a fantastic demo, and essential black metal as far as I am concerned. Far from their best, but amazing nonetheless. But its sound is a lot more cheesy and sugar-coated in lack of a better word. I think they got a bit rawer, yet at the same time way more bombastic with Goat Horns, and they kinda got more of their own identity with that release. But like I said, you can't go wrong with any of their releases even though I find Мировоззрение/Weltanschauung and The Voice of Steel to be less good than everything before it. Still good releases, though, especially The Voice of Steel. But it's not really a black metal album and has way more folky sing-along cheese to it. It's clearly inspired by Moonsorrow, but you'll also hear progressive elements, especially from Pink Floyd and such. It's an album that'll get them a much bigger following because it's more catchy and easy-listening than their black metal stuff.

But anyway, godly band!

bmsskd_zpsob6lbhnb.jpg

https://blackmagickss.bandcamp.com/

New Black Magic SS is up for listen at their bandcamp. Sounds excellent as usual. This will with no doubt be up as there as one of the very best releases of the year, just like all their previous releases did. One of the best active bands out there. A mix of psychedelic and occult rock, doom metal and black metal with a strong occult vibe. I just can't get enough of these guys. One of the best bands out there, as previously said.

https://dmrbooks.bandcamp.com/track/hellwell-lightwave

Lightwave from the upcoming Hellwell album

https://www.mixcloud.com/Queensofsteel/queens-of-steel-radio-01032017/

It‘s Alive, also from the new Hellwell album, is streaming around the 42.25 minute mark.

Mark "The Shark" Shelton calls this band "progressive epic horror doom metal", and that's not too far off actually. Imagine Manilla Road doing more progressive and doom influenced music, inspired by horror stories/films or something. I think both tracks are good, especially It's Alive. Mark Shelton hasn't sounded this good in years. His clean vocals are fantastic here.

@VisutoxI really like the album. I find their tunes almost relaxing and have fallen asleep to them a couple times at night.  As a whole I like it but I have a couple complaints, I feel that some of the tracks are a little long with some dull moments, however when they go all in boy do they go all in. When fen goes all out it is glorious 

On 3/4/2017 at 10:29 AM, Bear said:

Will definitely make sure to check this one out. Sounds promising. 

2 hours ago, Hakari said:

@VisutoxI really like the album. I find their tunes almost relaxing and have fallen asleep to them a couple times at night.  As a whole I like it but I have a couple complaints, I feel that some of the tracks are a little long with some dull moments, however when they go all in boy do they go all in. When fen goes all out it is glorious 

They really are relaxing. I could do literally anything while listening to their music —be it reading a book, doing some homework or simply just concentrating on the music. It's a brilliant album imo even though for some mysterious reason it didn't seduce me after my first spin. Now I love it. And I agree, the strong moments are really that strong. 

I played the album today again and man, this tune is absolutely fantastic. I really  love the shit out of it:

On 3/4/2017 at 4:29 AM, Bear said:

https://blackmagickss.bandcamp.com/

New Black Magic SS is up for listen at their bandcamp. Sounds excellent as usual. This will with no doubt be up as there as one of the very best releases of the year, just like all their previous releases did. One of the best active bands out there. A mix of psychedelic and occult rock, doom metal and black metal with a strong occult vibe. I just can't get enough of these guys. One of the best bands out there, as previously said.

Checking this out now O___O <3

^ fuck, shit goes hard as hell. Amazing. 

Don't get why I've always been reluctant to dig into their discography, why am I like this. 

Listening to this incredible album right now, fucking genius band. Unplugged came out in 2015 and it could have perfectly ended up in my top 10 if I had listened it that same year.

Spoiler

This is my fav one I think.

Edited by Visutox

Bolt Thrower are one of the best and most consistent death metal bands ever. I do recommend starting with their oldest shit first, though. But it's astill band you can't go wrong with. Most excellent!

Should be noted that they get more and more brutal the further back into their discography you dig, to where their debut is a grindcore album. Sloppy, downtuned and grinding as fuck. Got more melodic with a bigger focus on groove, melodies and leads as the years went on, and they are often called the Iron Maiden of death metal. Quiye fittingly too, if you ask me.

Be sure you don't miss their Peel Sessions, too. Peel Session releases are always of great quality, and Bolt Throwet's may be the finest of them all.

All these informations are interesting and really make me wanna devour their discography asap. Downloaded it already, will start chronologically and very probably post my thoughts here. 

27 minutes ago, Bear said:

Iron Maiden of death metal.

I am fucking ready. 

I'm checking out Dementia as we speak. A sort of progressive melodic death metal band. They sound very original, mostly because of the unusual keyboard work that pops up quite frequently on their latest album, Dreaming in Monochrome. They formed all the way back in 1989 and released their first demo in 95 and debut album in 96, and they have five albums to their name. I haven't heard their earlier albums, but this sounds really good. I love the 70's prog vibe this album had going for itself.

I can hear elements of Opeth, Edge of Sanity, Ayreon and lots of 70's prog rock. Highly recommended. I'll play this quite a lot in the coming time, especially the 18 minute closer. That song has a lot to offer and it's a lot to get into, but that is 18 sweet minutes for sure. I recommend the entire album, but if you only bother one song, make sure it's the last track of the album, Dreaming in Monochrome.

https://dementiametal.bandcamp.com/

^ listened to one song (the first one I think) yesterday, and my ears definitely enjoyed what they were hearing. Will check out the entirety of the album.

The first Bolt Thrower album is solid as fuck, loved the hell out of it. But was definitely more seduced by the Peel Sessions EP, brutal shit is brutal. Will keep on digging their stuff, next victim is Realm Of Chaos! 

Speaking of Bolt Thrower:

Today would have been Kiddie’s 40th Birthday, it’s a day of sadness, but also of great memories, and we hope you’ll join us and raise a glass to an absent friend. 
We take comfort in the knowledge that his bloodline, and legacy as a father, will live on through his sons Leon and Max, his legacy as a man lives on in the hearts and minds of everyone who had the honour and privilege to call him their friend, and his legacy as an amazing drummer will live on through his music.
But sadly due to various circumstances, Kiddie only ever got to release 2 albums with Bolt Thrower, despite being in the band for 20 years and playing hundreds of shows, and we owe his unswerving loyalty and drumming legacy so much more.
This is a debt we’ll start to pay off soon...

Here’s to you Kiddie!
Cheers,
BT

I don't expect anything new, but someone mentioned a while ago that the band were raising funds to buy back some drum tracks Kiddie tracked some years ago. Perhaps they will release something new after all?

I have been thoroughly enjoying the Italian Human's new album "Contemplating Soliloquy", and I was wondering if anyone has come across any similarly sounding releases from this year yet. I am most definitely interested in listening to more technical and/or progressive death metal albums as this one and Sunless's "Urraca" are great contenders for yearly lists thus far. 

Edited by Lestat

Hey guys, can anyone hook me up with some cool occult heavy metvlz in the vein of Mercyful Fate, In Solitude, Attic etc? Thanks in advance. :)   

Also, I have concluded that "Sister" by In Solitude has got to be one of the best modern-day rock/metal albums ever.

Edited by Jigsaw9

I sure can do, good sir.

Portrait

The debut is pure Mercyful Fate worship with shabby vocals, but the second and third album has a more steady vocalist. The albums gets a bit more progressive and more King Diamond-esque too. The debut is my favourite, but most people seem to prefer Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae.

Luzifer

One of the best heavy metal releases in newer time. Occult with a strong Mercyful Fate and Angel Witch vibe. Just listen to that opening riff. Magic!

Amulet

The First is a fantastic album. A strong Angel Witch vibe, but a bit heavier. Lovely album!

Trial

Another band with a strong Mercyful Fate vibe, but this band sounds a lot more progressive IMO. They have a new album around the corner too.

Metal Grave

This fantastic band sounds like the love child of old Mercyful Fate and Running Wild.

Dracula

I love this band, but they sound almost campy at times. Strong Mercyful Fate vibe, but with a high camp factor. I love it!

Crowley

The first Japanese band on the list and they're exceptional.

Source

New band with ex-members of Portrait. Yeah, this has that nice dark, occult vibe to it. Very Mercyful Fate-ish

Hell

Legendary band that only released some demos back in the 80's, but these gaind cult status and the band reformed in 2008 and have so far given us two modern classics. One which is mostly older tracks and one that's newly written, which is very impressive. The production is a bit iffy on the debut, though. It sounds too modern. But amazing album nontheless.

Oh wow, thank you! I knew I could count on you. :D I'm not really feelin' Portrait and Crowley, but the others sound really kickass, especially Luzifer, Metal Grave and Hell.

So now I'll dive into this rabbit hole. xD