The general Metal discussion thread

9 hours ago, Aeolus said:

also, WTF is with that production is that out or coming out? Either way it really shouldn't sound like it was recorded in the 80's

Are you talking about the Vampire track? If so you're showing a clear lack of understanding and knowledge of metal as a whole to be honest.

Vampire started out as a band who wanted to capture the spirit and sound of the mid/late 80's-early 90's death/thrash scene. You can't do that with a more polished and modern production. It's simply not possible as it won't sound like the bands from that era, and if it doesn't sound like the bands from that era then you're not able to capture that feeling, spirit and sound either. Simple as that.

@Jigsaw9https://vampiretheband.bandcamp.com/album/vampire-7-ep

Check this EP out. That is deathrashing perfection. It sounds like it was released in 1987 both as far as sound and songs goes. Like I said earlier, one of my all time favourite death(rash) releases.

6 minutes ago, Bear said:

https://vampiretheband.bandcamp.com/album/vampire-7-ep

Check this EP out. That is deathrashing perfection. It sounds like it was released in 1987 both as far as sound and songs goes. Like I said earlier, one of my all time favourite death(rash) releases.

Okay, you convinced me, this is awesome. :D Gonna check their stuff later today.

For now, I've just begun listening to a band called Diskord. They play an interesting, slightly techy/avant-garde style death metal. Great so far.

Diskord is fantastic and their second album, Dystopics, is even better than Doomscapes. And I'll also go as far as saying that their last EP, Oscillations, is even better than Dystopics again. This band rules and they're brilliant live. Nothing gimmicy or different visually, just pure death metal.

And since you're already checking out some newer Norwegian death metal, do yourself a favor and check out Execration, Reptilian and Obliteration too. These bands probably need a bit of time and spins to get into, though. Especially Execration.

Execration has been amazing since day 1, but they've still gotten better and better with each release. Both Odes of the Occult and especially Morbid Dimensions are death metal masterpieces.

Obliteration started off pretty poorly with Perpetual Decay, but their second album, Nekropsalms is fantastic and their third album Black Death Horizon are nothing short of a modern masterpiece.

Reptilian is seen a bit as an Obliteration clone/rip off, and they've obviously gotten a lot of inspiration from newers Obliteration, but their debut album Perennial Void Traverse is amazing. As good as Obliteration at their best IMO.

^ Damn, you are an encyclopedia of underground metal... and better yet, all of these sound great! When will I have the time to listen to everything, haha... :D Will try to check them in due time.

Already have Vampire's and Diskord's stuff lined up for the weekend.

@Bear I can tell that's what they are going for. I was asking if it was an older release or newer to find out if it was just an early demo or if that was their intended goal.

You can still capture that raw aggression with a more refined sound. Though I don't like them, Nile comes to mind. 

Nile has never been anywhere close to capture the rawness, feeling and overall sound of the bands I am talking about. They can't even be compared as they're way different both music- and production-wise than the bands I am talking about. We'll never agree on this, and most likely anything, ever, so we should just leave it here. :)

Some interesting news form the world of metal:

Black thrash metallers Craven Idol have a new album coming out soon called The Shackles of Mammon, their first release since 2013's Towards Eschaton. Black/thrash in the vein of Destroyer 666, Scythian and mid-era Absu. Furious and black, but at the same time epic. Their debut album is great and I am really looking forward to this. Can't find anything off their new album, but this will give you a decent impression of what these guys are all about:

Hellwell, side project of legendary Mark "The Shark" Shelton of Manilla Road fame will release their second album soon, their first since 2012, called Behind the Demon's Eyes. Their debut was a mix of Heavy metal, doom metal and prog, and basically sounds like epic heavy/power metal ala Manilla Road mixed with heavy/doom metal like Cirith Ungol and 70's prog. Can't find a new song, but a song from their fantastic debut album will give you a decent impression of what they sound like:

I've been a fan of Zuriaake for years now, and I really need to see these guys live. They seem to be an experience live, and a real force of power and emotions. And visually they're among the most impressive and interesting ones alongside Cult of Fire and Mgla. They way these bands capture the atmosphere and sound with how they dress, act and appear on stage and pictures are fantastic.

Be sure to check out their entire discography if you're into bands like Drudkh, Sad Legend, Downfall of Nur, Walknut, Ygg. I'll even throw in some Summoning and Moonsorrow to the mix. Speaking of Summoning, the last track on the video is a Summoning cover. And unlike the majority of Summoning covers, this one sounds great, even if they don't do too much with it. It's just pure magic. Those clean vocals are as bad as they are amazing, powerful and emotional.

Edited by Bear

^ I had heard that cover a while ago and I loved it, that made me wanna check out the band's discography except that I never did it lmfao. That performance is really magical, and their presence on the scene is absolutely amazing. 

Edited by Visutox

I like everything these guys have released so far, but Gu Yan needs to be the starting point. Their best! Love the traditional folk music they add to the mix, but only in small doses, and it's so classy. Just a bit of it that truly adds som flavour to the mix, not so that they turn into a folk metal band or anything.

I was hoping you guys could help me out and recommend some solid Black Metal bands. I started listening to this band Ungfell, and they are terrific.

49 minutes ago, Hakari said:

I was hoping you guys could help me out and recommend some solid Black Metal bands. I started listening to this band Ungfell, and they are terrific.

^ I'll get to listen to that when I have the time~

Dimmu Borgir was pretty awesome in their early period:

(^ here's a playlist, I guess the full album video was axed off Youtube :/)

Old black metal is fucking gold *_*

(Gonna put the full albums of these songs under a spoiler lol)

Spoiler

Edited by midi:nette

I coumd go on and recommend black metal of alk tyoes for days and days with my knowledge if the genre, but I'll keep rhis simple and recommend bands based on the band you list here:

Peste Noire

Autracie

Sale Freux

Baise Ma Hache

Lugubrum

Urfaust

On ny phone so I won't point out the albums to check out, but I can fix that when I getdag home.

But Peste Noire is the obvious and best answer as Ungfell is total Peste Noire worship from A to Z. Just pure and total Peste Noire worship!

Edited by Bear

So here's the albums you should start with:

Peste Noire - La Chaise-Dyable

Autracie - Horizons funestes

Sale Freux - Crèvecœur

Baise Ma Hache - Bréviaire du chaos

Lugubrum - De totem

Urfaust - Empty Space Meditation

I actually think some of the earlier Urfaust releases are more similar to the style and feeling of Ungfell with its drunken sound, but it's a bit harder to get into due to the ambient tracks and more than anything the vocals. But check THIS fantastic song out for someo f their earlier, less controlled and more drunken sounding stuff. It's got a bit of everything as far as the vocals goes.

They don't really count as black metal (although they do incorporate some black metal vocals), but I'd definitely also recommend Borknagar and Vintersorg *__* truly epic

(Vintersorg is the solo project of one of Borknagar's vocalists btw lol)

I'm a bit surprised you recommend Urd (or anything post-Empiricism) over the far superior albums Borknagar and The Olden Domain as both are, as already said, superior to the rest of their discography and way more black metal. Could also throw in The Archaic Course, Quintessence and Empiricism, but neither are close to the quality of the two first albums. And The Olden Domain's by far the best. Such a masterpiece. Huge!

Those are pretty good albums too, but Andreas Hedlund/Vintersorg's vocals is what made me fall in love with the band *_* (although I initially came for ICS Vortex, who was in Dimmu Borgir) Urd is their best album yet, imo.

As far as black metal recommendations go, I'd suggest for you ( and everyone else ) to just go through all the important bands chronologically, and I mean more than just the Norwegians, if you haven't done so already of course. It doesn't really matter if you like them or not when you develop a good frame of reference and a fine palette as you're doing it. Wikipedia probably has all the essential listed, if one is too lazy to google. 

628426.jpg?2634

Jesus fucking christ, thank fuck this band exists. The new album is phenomenal, and I'm pretty sure I'll be spinning it a lot this year. The bass work with this band is always incredible and I don't think there's much more to say, just check it out as soon as you can. 

Edited by Visutox

Looking forward to the Fen record. Always loved the band, yet I've kinda forgotten a bit about them. Can't remember when I last gave one of their albums a spin.

That sounds great.

It really does. Never bothered to dig into Nokturnal Mortum's huge discography but now that they're releasing a new album I might as well do. But before that, I still have to check out some Zuriaake. 

Came across this band yesterday: 

Also checked out their album and it's really good. I think I've read somewhere that the drummer is from Blut Aus Nord. Dude is part of tons of bands. 

Edited by Visutox

7 hours ago, Visutox said:

628426.jpg?2634

Jesus fucking christ, thank fuck this band exists. The new album is phenomenal, and I'm pretty sure I'll be spinning it a lot this year. The bass work with this band is always incredible and I don't think there's much more to say, just check it out as soon as you can. 

These guys are solid. Having a dedicated bassist really stands out. Will hopefully be able to pick up this album