The general Metal discussion thread

Finally listened Coven. Well, I can't exactly give a proper opinion on the album even though it made me want to re-listen it. I enjoyed it as long as it kept me hooked. It is really a difficult listening due to its length but it's definitely something interesting and worthy of your time. Need to familiarize myself with their sound a little more. Will be back on it in my future posts.

The last 2 metal album that totally rocked my face off.

First is Shokran's Exodus. It is without a doubt a technical prog masterpiece. Amazing production, sick technical guitar work, great vocals, and a cool Egyptian theme to tie it all together. Highly recommend this album. 

The next album is Carcer City's infinite//unknown. It's probably one of the best metalcore releases of 2016 with a ton of prog metal influence. Again recommended, even if metalcore is not your thing. 

That Shokran album is definitely a good one yeah! It has more clean vocals than their debut album but that didn't really bother me (saw a lot of ppl complaining about it). Actually I enjoyed the clean vocals on Exodus. Overall, the album sounds more sophisticated than their debut imo. 

Edited by Visutox

Finally listened to that Cultes des Ghoules album for the first time. Well... it sure was long, lol. I couldn't really get into it. It had its moments, and the atmosphere and production/sound was pretty cool too, but that wasn't enough to hold my attention for such a long time. Not gonna re-listen anytime soon.

I know it's a bit different, but if we're talking "long-ass metal albums" I much much prefer Cobalt's "Slow Forever" from last year.

Edited by Jigsaw9

I'd recommend you giving their older, shorter releases a few spins and get to know their style. Would probably make it easier to get into the new album too.

Amazing!

^ Thanks for the suggestion! I actually started listening to their stuff semi-chronologically last year, but didn't get too far (I think I listened to a demo and an EP?). Gonna give their other albums a spin tho, that's for sure, cuz I like the unholy occult atmosphere they're going for.

And HELL YEAHHHH, new Midnight!!! Can't wait!

It's probably not the easiest band to get into, but I'd sure as hell give both Häxan and Henbane some time to grow. Two very different albums where Häxan have more of that old school unholy atmosphere like Mortuary Drape and Necromantia, and Henbane a bit more in the vein of Katharsis. I personally think Henbane is a bit more easy-listening due to it sounding a bit more professional and stuff. I prefer Häxan myself though.

I actually think both Häxan and Coven, or Evil Ways Instead of Love would be really nice as soundtrack to films like Häxan, City of the Dead and so on. They both gives me assisiation to witchcraft and shit. Not sure why, they just do.

Ah yeah, I loved the Shokran album too, good stuff!

My most played albums from last year are probably Napoleon's "Newborn Mind" and Architect's "All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us". The former is just the most passionate and inspired Metalcore (even though they seem to be rooted more in Hardcore) album I've heard in a long time. The lead guitar is clearly what makes this band, but the new vocalist is also an amazing and very fitting addition. As for Architects, I've heard that quite a few people don't consider it their best work - I definitely do and think that the removal of most of the clean vocals and the cold and aggressive atmosphere work perfectly for them. And those vocals man, holy shit.

As for non-core related stuff, I recently got into Dødsengel. "Imperator" is definitely one of the most interesting (and longest, two and a half hours) Black Metal albums I've heard in a while. The linked song is pretty straightforward compared to the rest of their stuff, but it's definitely worth to check out the whole album. Pretty mindblowing stuff in my opinion.

I've just begun listening to Predatory Light's debut album from last year, and only one track in but HOLY SHIT

If the rest is as good as this, I might have a belated 2016 favorite on my hands.

That Napoleon album is fucking great! I absolutely love the technical side of it. Fantastic album from start to finish. 

Also enjoyed the Architects one even though the production makes the album sound very homogeneous, if I may say so. A very good one nonetheless! Memento Mori is clearly the highlight of the album to me, what a freaking masterpiece that is.

^ Nice one, thanks for the recommendation! And I see it can be snagged for free at Bandcamp too, sweet~

I'm currently listening to my first 2017 release that deserves a "daaaamn, that's fine!" from me:

Edited by Jigsaw9

^ You're very welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did hehe. 

That Shaarimoth album is on my list, will be checking it out soon. 

I listened to that Shaarimoth album earlier, it's amazing. Definitely up to my favourites of January thus far.

Laster's new album is out and it's absolutely delicious. I can't stop listening to it. (https://laster.bandcamp.com/album/ons-vrije-fatum) – I wouldn't know how non-native Dutch people would take this, as the lyrics are made up of... forgotten Dutch vocabulary indented with olden slang. Especially the spoken and whispered words are quite originally poetic. 

Edited by Lestat

@LestatGlad to see the love for Shaarimoth. :)

@VisutoxNo probs, hope you'll like it! I managed to listen to Convulsing's album, it's pretty powerful stuff. Lovin' the guitar sound and sinister melodies!

And speaking of sinister melodies, I've been revisiting Chaos Invocation's small but potent discography lately... magnificent, ferocious black metal all the way! I've just checked their Facebook page too and it seems like they'll unleash a new album this year not far from now. They write "early 2017", and the album title is "Reaping Season, Bloodshed Beyond". Can't wait!

23 hours ago, Lestat said:

the lyrics are made up of... forgotten Dutch vocabulary indented with olden slang.

It'd be a shame if the lyrics were worth checking out, hope they're not. The sample you posted sounds great! Will make sure to check out the album.

@Jigsaw9I'll spin the Shaarimoth album in a few moments! Glad you enjoyed it dude, it's as you said: a really sinister and aggressive sound, almost intimidating. Love it.

That Chaos Invocation song sounds brilliant. Since I don't know the band, I'll make sure to check their previous work(s). The album artwork of this new album you're talking about is fucking phenomenal!

Edited by Visutox

I tried to make a top 10, but I ended up with a massive list. And this is after I trimmed it like hell. I cut like 25-30 albums already. It's been a massive year as far as metal goes with a shitload of great albums. :P

Cultes des Ghoules

Alcest

Tarot

Abigail

Ripper

Vektor

Blood Ceremony

Moonsorrow

Uada

Bròn

Howls of Ebb

Occult Burial

Reptilian

Demon Bell

Nuctemeron

Head of the Demon

Rapid

Ithaqua

Thangorodrim

Demon Bitch

Urfaust

Cradle of Filth

Hail Spirit Noir

Hexenslaught

I trimmed it down even more now. I think these 15 are my top 10 (:P) in 2016.

Cultes des Ghoules - Coven, or Evil Ways Instead of Love

I can not praise this album enough. Evil black metal with an occult atmosphere. Love the Mortuary Drape (87-94) and Necromantia (92-93) vibe it has. The perfect soundtrack to an old black and white film about witchcraft.

Alcest - Kodama

Alcest doesn't reinvent the wheel with Kodama, rather it's a step back sound-wise from the shoegaze album that was Shelter. It's not black metal again, but it's darker, it's blacker and much more metallic sounding. Beautiful from begining to end.

Tarot - Reflections

Tarot released three fantastic EPs in 2014 and grabbed my entire attention that year. They've manage to mix the occult and mystic feeling of Pagan Altar, the epic side of Uriah Heep and the rocking feeling of Deep Purple and Rainbow. 2016 saw the release of their debut album, and it does not stand back to the EPs. A bit more psychedelic perhaps, but as good. Pure heavy rock!

Vektor - Terminal Redux

Vektor has always had something about them, but they've never managed to quite hit the nail on its head. But with Terminal Redux they sure as hell did that and got all of their potential out. This album is a progressive thrash metal masterpiece!

Blood Ceremony - Lord of Misrule

Blood Ceremony is a band that doesn't seem to know how to fail. As they've gotten more psychedelic rock-esque and less doomy and metallic with each album, they've also gotten better and better. Their best one yet.

Moonsorrow - Jumalten aika

I'm one of those who thought Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa was a bit of a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I love the album and tink it's great, but for a band who took such big steps into a unique direction filled with dark, progressive and epic  black metal and  semi-folky pagan metal, it was a a disappointment to see them go back to a less progressive, dark and epic sound closer to their older stuff. But with Jumalten aika they're back to the dark, epic, progressive and black path, and this is how i prefer my Moonsorrow.

Occult Burial - Hideous Obscure

This raw and furious thrashing black metal trio capture the essence of the genre, and the feeling of the past. This sounds like a mix of old Bathory, NME, Sodom and Nifelheim. Brilliant album!

Thangorodrim - Taur-nu-Fuin

This is not a metal album, but because the dungeon synth genre is so closely related to black metal I will choose it anyway. This album, heavily inspired by old Mortiis, is just glorious, and the atmosphere is that of a black metal album released in 1994. This album is breathtaking!

Bròn - Ànrach

Three tracks and 57 minutes of beautiful atmospheric black metal in the vein of Evilfeast. It's not quite as dark as Evilfeast, but this is just as good. Beautiful album that's just perfect for a beautiful winter day.

Demon Bitch - Hellfriends

This is easily the heavy metal album of the year. They're not as classy as Borrowed Time, not as epic as Manilla Road or as dark and occult as Mercyful Fate, but they kinda sound like a mix of these bands. This album is a must-have imo!

Ithaqua - The Black Mass Sabbath Pulse

This EP sounds like a mix of Rotting Christ and Varathron ano 1993. You can hear that this is greek. Another brilliant release by these guys. Like the demo it's more or less perfect!

Cradle of Filth - Dusk... and Her Embrace - The Original Sin

This is an album we've heard talk about for ages, and finally getting to hear this was incredible. It's an album we've dreamt about for so long, but it's always seem to be just a dream. The Original Sin sees a darker, rawer and blacker version of Cradle of Filth's best album, Dusk... and Her Embrace, with less gothic atmosphere. Musically speaking this was a dream come true, and I think this is as good as the "original". Feels like two very different albums, though.

Hail Spirit Noir - Mayhem in Blue

I heard the debut on its release day and was totally blown away by Hail Spirit Noir's unique brand of psychedelic rock and progressive black metal. The debut saw an unmature band which was all over the place, but the sheer power of the music dressed in it's warm production won me over. Oi Magoi! was a bit disappointing. A good album, but it saw a more mature and focused band. Musically not all over the place, and the mixing of the genre wasn't as random as on the debut. Fantastic albu,  just not as good. Mayhem in Blue sees the band move a bit away from black metal and sees a more progressive band with folk elements and whatnot. It's not as good as the debut, but it's fantastic anyway!

Hexenslaught - Demo 2016

1987 saw the release of three death metal demos that also happens to be masterpieces. Necrovore's "Divus de Mortuus", Incubus' "Incubus" and Morbid Angel's "Thy Kingdom Come". In 1994 these three demos was released on a compilation by Slayer Mag! This demo, both sound-wise and quality-wise, would've been perfect on that compilation. It simply sounds like a brilliant demo from 1987.

Howls of Ebb - Cursus Impasse: The Pendlomic Vows

A lot of bands are heavily inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and tries to capture that feeling in their music. Some have succeded, and some have not. But the closest thing you'll come to Lovecraftian metal is Howls of Ebb. As unique as it is original, as dark as it is twisted and as impressive as it is crazy. Hear this is you like black/death metal with a twist!

Also, Satan's Fall need a mention. Both the demo and EP are fantastic. Will come back with that later!

This is Satan's Fall. This release, as well as the demo, deserves some mention and probably deserves a spot on the list. Speed metal that sounds like a fine mix of old Mercyful Fate, Angel Witch, Satan and the most speed metal-esque songs of Judas Priest. This is some top notch stuff!

@Jigsaw9Finally managed to listen that Shaarimoth album, it's sooo good. Gets better after each track!! It's very likely that I'll be getting to it again.

@Bear Is 'Seven Nights' the demo you're talking about? If so then I loved both the EP and the demo, brilliant stuff. Has a huge re-listening value tbf. 

I remember you praising that CoF album when it came out, you teased my curiosity by including it in your top 15 so I'm gonna check it out one of these days!

Also was interested to check out that Thangorodrim album., the samples sounded very interesting. 

7 hours ago, Bear said:

Ithaqua - The Black Mass Sabbath Pulse

This EP sounds like a mix of Rotting Christ and Varathron ano 1993. You can hear that this is greek. Another brilliant release by these guys. Like the demo it's more or less perfect!

Okay hold on, I'm checking this out right away.

Edited by Visutox

Yeah, Seven Nights is the demo. It's so good too!

Thangorodrimis a must if you're into dungeon synth. Up there with the best of Mortiis era 1 imo.

Grab the Ithaqua demo too when you're on it. It's fantastic as well. Everything I love's fantastic!

Yeah it's so great, the bass is a lil more boosted on the demo but it's all good.

I like that shit, will try to get the album even though I think I saw it was sold out on their bandcamp page? Idk.

Did it! I'm listening the demo as we're talking, amazing Thy Mighty Contract worship tbh. That EP is phenomenal. I'm glad I've discovered them, thanks!

EDIT: Just lemme say that the bass on 'Beyond the Cursed Lines ' is absolutely fucking bloody incredible. W o w.

Edited by Visutox