The general Metal discussion thread

It truly does. I just fucking love that they've left some of the more progressive and technical elements behind, at least on these three songs. I just feel like these three songs has a lot more substance than what I've gotten used to from these guys, even though the two previous albums have grown a lot on me over the past year or so. It's packed with a lot more punch and meaning.

THe new Rotting Christ sounds fairly good too. Easily their best since Sleep of the Angels, if not A Dead Poem. I really like the ritualistic, canting and almost black mass-esque feeling of the whole album. Positivly surprised for sure.

Graveland, formed back in 1991, played their first ever gig yesterday. I'm reading some very positive comments on their debut gig. I hope this legendary gig was documented, probably not for a proper DVD, but at least for an upload to youtube. Would be awesome!

As cult as this band is, they never got the reputation they truly deserved IMO. Alongside Behemoth they helped create this unique brand of polish black metal, but I find their style to be a lot more unique than that of Behemoth's early demos and I think it had a lot more influence on the polish scene as a whole. I can of course understand why people would find their early releases completely ridiculous, because the drumming of the older releases truly is ridiculous. But I always liked the drumming. Shabby as fuck, but with lots of passion and charm. But the overall atmosphere of these releases are brilliant. I also enjoy the more epic sound of the later albums. Their progression over the years always felt very natural, from raw black metal to epic mid-tempo black/pagan metal with massive viking-era Bathory-vibes. Rob Darken has stagnated over the years and more or less kept doing the same stuff over and over for the past 18 years. But he knows what he's doing and it's all been quality, so it's not a problem if you look at it like that.

That is easily their best song since Diabolis Interium. Sounds a bit Vobiscum Satanas-esque IMO. It's really a shame that Nail Them to the Cross is also on the album, because that one is mediocre. But I hope the rest of the album sounds like this because then it'll be a good albums despite Nail Them to the Cross.

That looks and sounds pretty good for a band who plays their first gig ever, after releasing stuff for 25 years. People are super positive towards the gig as well. This is the first of many, even though the Antifa cunts will do their best to try stop the gigs.

Fantastic setlist too:

Graveland's setlist:
Intro/At the Pagan Samhain Night
Born for War
Intro/Gates to the Kingdom of Darkness
Hordes of Empire
Thurisaz
Intro/The Night of Fullmoon
Ostatri Svit (?)
For Pagan and Heretic's Blood
Intro/Thousand Swords
Black Metal War
Outro

Found out by accident that French "rural black metallers" Sale Freux already released a new album and EP in 2016.  The snare is very off as usual, but for some reason I don't mind the awful snare sound they've gone with on severla of their releases. It somehow fits their music IMO. It's so weird. Sounds fantastic, though. There's something aout that rural, far remote countryside-esque feeling of the music that just speaks to me. Raw, dirty and melancholic.

Something cool I'm spinning at the moment: new Avernal album, great heavvvvy death fun.

Haven't listened to these guys before, but seems like I should have. Same goes for Desaster, their new album seemed pretty cool on first listen too (tho I wasn't paying much attention, so gonna re-listen soon).

Also, thanks Bear for mentioning Ripper in the March releases thread, gonna check them out, cuz they sound pretty sexy~

Edited by Jigsaw9

The Desaster album sounds very nice indeed. Easily their best since Angelwhole IMO, maybe it'll even grow past that album with repeated listens.  It's been years since they sounded this raw, dirty, agressive and at the same time epic, like on their first two-three albums. They're leaning a bit more towards their roots for this release, and I really like that.

The toms sounds a bit odd though, but I'm not bothered by them or anything.

It's not so strong at the moment. I am barely keeping up with metal releases at the moment, and something like 70-80% of everything I've listened to in 2016 are hip hop and deathrock/punk. Heh.

Cradle of Filth posted this on their facebook yesterday:

-the never-before-released version of 'Dusk.. And Her Embrace' subtitled 'The Original Sin'(1995) is out in July via Cacophonous Records

Fuck yes! I am so looking forward to this release.

Moonsorrow is fantastic. I wouldn't catorogize the band as folk metal myself, with the exception of their debut abum, but who gives a fuck? Excellent band! Suden Tunti is the worst song off the new record IMO. A very typical promotial/single song in many ways. Straighter and more accessible than the rest of the albums, but it's still a great song. The rest is more advetureous, more progressive and more daring. Love the album!

Akercocke 2016 sees founder members Jason Mendonca & David Gray re-joined by original guitarist Paul Scanlan. The line-up is completed by Nathaniel Underwood.

We have returned fuelled by positivity and a new collection of unique, challenging material. Akercocke’s raison d’etre has always been to try and develop our sound from one album to the next.

Presently we are working on our sixth studio album – ‘Renaissance in Extremis.’ Expect new atmospheres, musical diversity, the sublime and the ridiculous. Watch this space for studio reports, tour dates, festival bookings and insight into order from chaos....

I really liked the new song, and I am very interested in hearing more. I don't expect a new Choronzon, but because of Paul Scanlan I do expect something better than Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone and Antichrist. Neither ara bad albums, but they were not nearly as good as the previous albums, especially not Choronzon which is a perfect mix of black metal, death metal and progressive musikk. Words... and Antichrist lacked the black metal feeling IMO. They lost some of what made them so unique to begin with. Haven't played either in a long, long time though, so I will replay them today/tomorrow to see what I think about them in 2016.

Some recent random discoveries of mine (still in the process of listening/digesting them)...

Occult Burial - old-school black/thrash that kicks your teeth in, just how I like it! Debut album out now.

Spoiler

Savage Master - no-nonsense occult-tinged heavy metal with a badass frontlady. Pretty nice!

Spoiler

(tho the main riff here borrows a bit too much from "Rapid Fire" by Judas Priest XD)

9 hours ago, Bear said:

but because of Paul Scanlan I do expect something better than Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone and Antichrist. Neither ara bad albums, but they were not nearly as good as the previous albums, especially not Choronzon which is a perfect mix of black metal, death metal and progressive musikk. Words... and Antichrist lacked the black metal feeling IMO.

I agree with this sentiment.... it's a shame I really wanted to like Words more than I did because god damn I think that's an awesome album title.

6 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Some recent random discoveries of mine (still in the process of listening/digesting them)...

Occult Burial - old-school black/thrash that kicks your teeth in, just how I like it! Debut album out now.

Reveal hidden contents

Occult Burial is fantastic!Should be interesting for anyone into the first wave of black metal (Bathory, Sodom, Hellhammer, Sepultura, Vulcano, NME, Bulldozer and so on. Great stuff!

14 hours ago, The Reverend said:

I agree with this sentiment.... it's a shame I really wanted to like Words more than I did because god damn I think that's an awesome album title.

What did you think of the new song? It's of poor quality, but it's possible to get an impression anyway.

Also, if anyone enjoys watching metal documentaries I'd recommend taking a look at this thread: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54172&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

A massive thread of documentaries about metal.

After being impressed with Rotting Christ's newest album, Ritual, I decided it was about time I gave their other recent albums a new chance as well and I am slowly starting to truly get into them. Rituals, Κατά τον δαίμονα εαυτού and Aealo are really doing it for me these days. Will start working on the four albums released from 2000 to 2007 soon too. See if they do more for me now than they did a few years back.

Always loved Time Stands Still from Khronos though. What a song!

The new Germ (solo project of Tim Yatras (Austere, Woods of Desolation, Germ) sounds pretty good. The debut was a trance-esque electronica black metal album and is awful, the second album had a lot more black metal and depressive rock influences and is much better, without being exceptional or anything. The song Butterfly is exceptional, though. Byt the upcoming album, Escape, seems to be Tim Yatras returning to form. What I've heard from the album sounds more like Austere and later Woods of Desolation, especially the latter. Looking forward to getting to know this album.

New Denner/Shermann track:

I'm still not a fan of these vocals... maybe I just miss King Diamond's voice still, but man, this dude sounds super cliché and devoid of any memorable personality (reminds me why I rarely listen to actual heavy metal in the first place). Music's okay tho.

1 hour ago, Jigsaw9 said:

New Denner/Shermann track:

I'm still not a fan of these vocals... maybe I just miss King Diamond's voice still, but man, this dude sounds super cliché and devoid of any memorable personality (reminds me why I rarely listen to actual heavy metal in the first place). Music's okay tho.

This shit, man. That's blaspheme at its very worst. Heavy metal's the god damn shit, brah!

The new Vektor is crazy good, guys. They've taken the best elements of their previous albums and mixed them with newer elements, making it miles better than previous releases. The riffs are better, the songs tighter and everything just flows better. The progressive elements are toned doqn quite a bit and feels much more natural and less forced. Easily their best album till now, and I will be surprised if this isn't among my top 10 at the end of the year. God damn, they finaly got their massive potential out. Brilliant!

^ Totally agreed, the new Vektor album's out of this world! And I'm not even a fan of long records, but this shit is golden all the way.

Fuck yeah! It's a god damn beast of an album. It's so massive-sounding, and so god damn thrashy compared to their earlier album. A bit more easy-listening perhaps, but that only positive as  far as Vektor goes. Also, how many riffs have they managed to squeeze into this album? Has to be a lot. Can this compare to Dark Angel's "9 songs, 67 minutes, 246 riffs!"?